or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Gilbert, AZ: Attic or Indoor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gilbert, AZ: Attic or Indoor

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Would appreciate some help (tried to answer as much as I know)
I am looking to at least drop the locals from my DishNetwork account (and possibly open to OTA only down the road).
Request feedback for antenna selection based on following:

TVFool 1: (assumes 15 feet for attic Install)
TVFool 2: (assumes 5 feet for indoor Install)

House = 1 story with attic (rafter attic w/ Clay Tile roof)
Connection = Dish DVR (722K + OTA Module) or SD TV (using Channel Master CECB)

Could power up to 2 TV's if ran through the 722K DVR
Open to Indoor or attic install, but prefer to avoid outdoor install due to need for coaxial cable run to J-box (attic already has Coaxial jack which would be routed to the DVR via indoor junction box) - connectionw was already a challenge for Dish due to sharing coaxial with Cable Internet from MSO.

If Attic is required vs. indoor
Was looking at the Winegard HD-1080 (based on price and limited reviews I could find online Also open to HBU22 or others that would offer benefit vs. HD1080.

Channels Required. - No Channels lower than KSAZ required for reception. - although not familiar with most of the yellow stations
post #2 of 15
Given the strong signal strengths, I would look at a Winegard 7694, HBU-22, or EZ HD antenna as attic mounts or outdoor on your roof. The Winegard 1080 has poor high vhf performance and has generally fallen out of favor....
post #3 of 15
RCA ANT-751 (similar to EZ HD), HBU-22 or Winegard 7694P.

Outdoors, not behind clay tile.
post #4 of 15
Good catch Arxaw! I missed the clay tile roof...
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
given signal strengths and primary focus on Green channels, would the HBU22 or 7694P be a pipe dream in the attic behind the clay tile roof?
If outdoor is required, leaning towards ANT-751 to meet the 1m rule for HOA acceptance
post #6 of 15
Any ads you see about a 1m limit for OTA antennas are BS. The 1m rule does not apply to OTA broadcast antennas. Only satellite dishes. There are no size restrictions for OTA, so put up whatever you want. The FCC is on your side, as long as it's installed on your private non-common property. Your HOA can't even require a permit or even getting permission.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannausj View Post

given signal strengths and primary focus on Green channels, would the HBU22 or 7694P be a pipe dream in the attic behind the clay tile roof?
If outdoor is required, leaning towards ANT-751 to meet the 1m rule for HOA acceptance

Looks like all your towers are at 280 degrees, almost due west. If you went with an attic install, would the antenna be aimed through the roof or through the gable end of your home? Clay tile significantly attenuates the signal versus a conventional plywood deck with asphalt shingles. Signal strength would be higher if you can aim the antenna through the gable end.

You could give the attic a shot just to test... Expected signal at the antenna equals the NM from tvfool plus antenna gain. If you attic install, the equation becomes NM from tvfool plus antenna gain minus signal loss from attic penetration. Given your high signal strengths, you could lose 20 dB from attic penetration and still have plenty of signal for your tv. Just a thought.... The EZ HD would work very well in your location mounted on the edge of your roof.
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick View Post

Looks like all your towers are at 280 degrees, almost due west. If you went with an attic install, would the antenna be aimed through the roof or through the gable end of your home? Clay tile significantly attenuates the signal versus a conventional plywood deck with asphalt shingles. Signal strength would be higher if you can aim the antenna through the gable end.

You could give the attic a shot just to test... Expected signal at the antenna equals the NM from tvfool plus antenna gain. If you attic install, the equation becomes NM from tvfool plus antenna gain minus signal loss from attic penetration. Given your high signal strengths, you could lose 20 dB from attic penetration and still have plenty of signal for your tv. Just a thought.... The EZ HD would work very well in your location mounted on the edge of your roof.

Thanks for the quick response everyone. I think the EZ HD (or ANT751) will be my direction and can always try it in the attic with fallback of mounting it to the Dish or roofline.
I think fortunately I will be shooting through the side of the house(stucco)/ gable (based on 280 degrees rather than directly through the clay tile roof.
post #9 of 15
If it's stucco-on-wire-screen mesh, it may not work well. The metal screen can reallly block OTA signals, particularly VHF chs, which you have several of.
post #10 of 15
Give it a try in the attic, but stucco can also greatly attenuate signals. The EZ HD is very small and works well on a satellite j-mount. You could simply add another j mount within 10 feet of the satellite dish and diplex the OTA in with your satellite signals.
post #11 of 15
Please keep topic titles specific. See my edit.
post #12 of 15
Stucco (wire mesh in wall) will be as bad as the clay tile roof, if not worse. Any reception will be much better with OUTSIDE antenna placement.

And as long as the roof is your's - don't worry about the HOA. If the roof is the HOA's - putting it up on a pole should be just fine.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick View Post

... The EZ HD is very small and works well on a satellite j-mount. You could simply add another j mount within 10 feet of the satellite dish and diplex the OTA in with your satellite signals.

If you need to extend the existing J-mount, insert a piece of large electrical conduit into the mount. It doesn't have to be as long as this one, just long enough for the antenna to clear the top of the dish:


Make sure it doesn't obstruct the view of the sat dish to the sky.

As IDRick said, with a couple of SAT/OTA diplexers, you won't even have to run another coax.
post #14 of 15
I use the Winegard 7015 in my attic. I have a clay tile roof. Outdoors would be better but I get good reception in the attic so I leave it there. The 7015 is a VHF/UHF antenna. Its VHF is outstanding and its UHF is good. It is also cheap at $37.99 from solidsignal.com. It however is kind of big due to its VHF 2-13 elements. I maneuvered it into the attic when it was folded up for shipping and then opened it up in my attic.

Rick R
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
for updated response and for the title change, apologies on the vague title.
Will look into these options, although mounting to the dish itself isn't sounding so bad if the angle will work. will post once I digest the suggestions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Technical
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Gilbert, AZ: Attic or Indoor