or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Super THT build thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Super THT build thread - Page 2

post #31 of 243
Looking GREAT man!

Keep at it!


dbl
post #32 of 243
Looks good.

Question for yeah.

Are you using PL? If so, are you spreading it or touching it once it's been applied?
post #33 of 243
SuperE,

I wouldn't worry about the access panel cuts like people are stressing about. I cut mine out freehand with a jigsaw AFTER I had built the horn. I went back after the horn was built and cut it out and cleaned up the cut with a flush-cutting bit. I then made a new access panel that fit perfectly, with rounded edges to match the clean-up cuts the router did... No worries, I'd trust the guy you are working with, this is probably not his first rodeo....

The Oaudio 300W amp will not let the THT flex it's true potential. It has a highpass filter at 20Hz, not adjustable. The 500W version has not only a selectable HP filter/boost, but a one band parametric EQ as well.

The 30" version should give you some more output, can't wait to hear what you think about it.

About the cats...they for some reason LOVE MDF. My TT was made of MDF, and they would stay inside it for hours, where I couldn't see them past the first corner. My nightmare was that one would get stuck inside and I'd have to take the damned thing apart to get the cat....so I made a grill for the TT. I haven't made a grill for the THT (much more room to turn around in it than the TT, and they don't spend near as much time in it, no MDF), but I have caught them inside (unbeknownst to me) and have seen them bolt out when an opening scene in a blu ray turns on the sub....

Strangely enough, sometimes they'll GET IN THE HORN while it's playing, usually background music at a low level...

JSS
post #34 of 243
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym View Post

Looks good.

Question for yeah.

Are you using PL? If so, are you spreading it or touching it once it's been applied?

Yes I am using PL, I am spreading it on most seams that are pressure bearing, not really trying to spread it along the seams for the braces through.

max, I will keep an eye on the cats, that is hilarious!
I already decided against the 300 watt oaudio amp, tomorrow I am ordering the 500 watt oaudio amplifier, and I think that I will be very happy with the headroom that the 500 watt amp offers and the features that the 500 watt has over the 300 watt amp. Still agonizing over the subsonic filter situation, I want to go as low as possible but don't want to fry my sub, but I just don't have testing equipment to test what I am feeding my woofer and if I am starting to hurt it.
post #35 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post

Yes I am using PL, I am spreading it on most seams that are pressure bearing, not really trying to spread it along the seams for the braces through.

Okay. That's what I thought. For the external panels that have squeeze out, just leave it and let it dry. It's actually quite easy to remove with a sharp chisel after it drys in one piece versus trying to get it off after you smudge it. Someone gave me this tip early in my build. It saved me hours of work.

You're making great progress.
post #36 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post

Still agonizing over the subsonic filter situation, I want to go as low as possible but don't want to fry my sub, but I just don't have testing equipment to test what I am feeding my woofer and if I am starting to hurt it.

The Dayton DVC will take almost 200 watts with no filtering without reaching xmax. That should be sufficient.
post #37 of 243
Thread Starter 
well that is good enough for me, if Bill says it should be cool, then I am sold! Should get further with the build next week, will post progress pics then.
post #38 of 243
Use Room EQ Wizard, with a Galaxy or RS SPL meter. Use the spectrum function, and don't let THD reach above 10%, equivalent to Xmax, and no harm will ever come to your driver.

If no measurements are to be taken, use the Incredible Hulk Sonic Cannon Scene (attached), it's what I have used.

Move the subsonic filter down a notch and move the volume up a few dB every time you play the scene. When it sounds weird, stop....done...you will know. For all the ******** people say about not hearing distortion at low freq, trust me, you will....it will make you think twice about CEDIA standards.

JSS
LL
post #39 of 243
Thread Starter 
OH NOOOOOOOOOOO!! I just tried ordering the Oaudio 500 watt plate amplifier and got an email reply stating that Oaudio will have no 500 watt amplifiers in stock until mid January!!! I REALLY wanted this amplifier, it has so many features that you simply can't get within the same price range. Is there any other amplifier that matches up swing for swing?
post #40 of 243
Well, I guess that does it for me. EP2500 here I come.
post #41 of 243
If you use the EP, things to consider using are the Reckhorn B2 or the eQ.2 by elemental designs, if you will be playing at high levels, just in case distortion creeps into the lowest freqs...you may not need this, though.

The reason I use the Reckhorn is the steeper highpass. The eQ.2 has a 12dB/oct slope, vs the 24dB/oct slop on the Reckhorn.

The eQ.2 can boost down to 10Hz though (to flatten THT response), and highpass down to 5Hz, so it depends on what you need. I needed the steep highpass more than anything due to my situation with Audyssey and the Oaudio amp.

JSS
post #42 of 243
Thread Starter 
I was really hoping for an option that was less of a headache than the EP, are there other options?
post #43 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

If you use the EP, things to consider using are the Reckhorn B2 or the eQ.2 by elemental designs, if you will be playing at high levels, just in case distortion creeps into the lowest freqs...you may not need this, though.

The reason I use the Reckhorn is the steeper highpass. The eQ.2 has a 12dB/oct slope, vs the 24dB/oct slop on the Reckhorn.

The eQ.2 can boost down to 10Hz though (to flatten THT response), and highpass down to 5Hz, so it depends on what you need. I needed the steep highpass more than anything due to my situation with Audyssey and the Oaudio amp.

JSS

Are those the same thing as a Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124P ???

Honestly, what's the problem with just using the EP2500 by itself?
post #44 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Supply View Post

Honestly, what's the problem with just using the EP2500 by itself?

Nothing. The 2 options above would help boost the sub-20Hz response so you can be flat to a lower freq, depending on room gain.

JSS
post #45 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

Nothing. The 2 options above would help boost the sub-20Hz response so you can be flat to a lower freq, depending on room gain.

JSS

I gotcha.. Thanks.

Do you happen to know if the Yamaha P2500S amp would be decent?
post #46 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post

I was really hoping for an option that was less of a headache than the EP, are there other options?

Crown Xti 1000. The built in DSP would have sold on its own for more than the entire amp ten years ago. Best price at Northern Sound.
post #47 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Supply View Post

Do you happen to know if the Yamaha P2500S amp would be decent?

Yamaha makes a good amp. This one has a variable speed fan controller too.
post #48 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Crown Xti 1000. The built in DSP would have sold on its own for more than the entire amp ten years ago. Best price at Northern Sound.

I would strongly recommend against this amp--epic failure in tests here

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post13869426


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post13877614
post #49 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post

I would strongly recommend against this amp--epic failure in tests here

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post13869426


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post13877614

First gen reliability problems have been fixed. The Xti are highly rated by many of my forum members who have them, and that's in pro-sound applications far more stressful than home, including being transported regularly. But of course they only use them with horn loaded systems.
post #50 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

Yamaha makes a good amp. This one has a variable speed fan controller too.

The yamaha has a variable subsonic filter, and it only goes down to 25Hz. Is this a bad thing with a THT?
post #51 of 243
Thread Starter 
The crown looks like a good amp, but its tested power drop off under 50 hertz scares me. I am looking at the Dayton HPSA1000 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post13714349
Looks like the preset subsonic filter at 18 hertz is a good spot.
post #52 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

First gen reliability problems have been fixed. The Xti are highly rated by many of my forum members who have them, and that's in pro-sound applications far more stressful than home, including being transported regularly. But of course they only use them with horn loaded systems.

Has anyone actually tested it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post

The crown looks like a good amp, but its tested power drop off under 50 hertz scares me. I am looking at the Dayton HPSA1000 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post13714349
Looks like the preset subsonic filter at 18 hertz is a good spot.

Check that same thread I linked above--see the first page for amps tested--I think there were issues with the Dayton 1000 as well.
post #53 of 243
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post

Has anyone actually tested it?




Check that same thread I linked above--see the first page for amps tested--I think there were issues with the Dayton 1000 as well.

From what I read people were just throwing a fit that it only put out around 500 watts at 4 ohms, which is fine for my application. Unless I missed reading something it looks like a good amp for the THT.
post #54 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post

Has anyone actually tested it?




Check that same thread I linked above--see the first page for amps tested--I think there were issues with the Dayton 1000 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post

From what I read people were just throwing a fit that it only put out around 500 watts at 4 ohms, which is fine for my application. Unless I missed reading something it looks like a good amp for the THT.

That's the old, discontinued model, the SA1000 replaced it which is probably what I'm going to go with eventually. Right now my Behringer A500 will have to do.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-811
post #55 of 243
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post

That's the old, discontinued model, the SA1000 replaced it which is probably what I'm going to go with eventually. Right now my Behringer A500 will have to do.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-811

Yeah I just noticed that, probably gonna go with it unless I find out that it is supposed to be a big disappointment for some reason. Will wait for a couple more hours so people can chime in before I buy.
post #56 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

First gen reliability problems have been fixed. The Xti are highly rated by many of my forum members who have them, and that's in pro-sound applications far more stressful than home, including being transported regularly. But of course they only use them with horn loaded systems.

I wonder if they use them for anything below 20Hz.

The biggest problem we saw in the tests is with the < 20Hz stuff.

Im pretty sure they are great from 30Hz on up and the DSP is pretty cool to have for even active mains.
post #57 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Supply View Post

The yamaha has a variable subsonic filter, and it only goes down to 25Hz. Is this a bad thing with a THT?

You can disable it if needed.
post #58 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Supply View Post

The yamaha has a variable subsonic filter, and it only goes down to 25Hz. Is this a bad thing with a THT?

So long as it can be switched out it's OK. For maximum output a 25 Hz filter is required, but with up to 200 watts no filter is required, and most users will find even 100 watts to be almost unbearable. And if they don't the neighbors probably will. Think angry villagers with torches and pitchforks in hand.
Quote:
From what I read people were just throwing a fit that it only put out around 500 watts at 4 ohms, which is fine for my application

I can see that being a problem with direct radiators. For the intent of this particular thread, who cares?
post #59 of 243
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

I can see that being a problem with direct radiators. For the intent of this particular thread, who cares?

Exactly my thoughts!
post #60 of 243
Quick qualifier, folks...

I only put forth the options I have because you can squeeze out more juice out of the THT with some boosting below 25Hz, and you may have low freq boost problems running Audyssey, in which case you need a steep high-pass. If you have good to great room gain, you will not need this boosting, and an amp like the A500 will be great, and IIRC, the A500 measured very well in tests (not sure it was this forum, though).

JSS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Super THT build thread