or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › 7.1 rear speaker placement
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

7.1 rear speaker placement

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I am getting ready to mount my rears. They can be 2-3 ft. off the rear wall and some 3 ft back of the listening area. I have to ceiling mount them and am assuming they should be aimed at the listening area, rather that straight along the ceiling.

Thanks, Jack
post #2 of 19
See:
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvvjvv View Post

They can be 2-3 ft. off the rear wall and some 3 ft back of the listening area. I have to ceiling mount them...

Mount them as far back as you can, up against the rear wall if possible. The further back they are, the more they will sound like they're behind you (as intended) rather than above you.
post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Guys......Thanks a lot.........that really helps.

Jack
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Mount them as far back as you can, up against the rear wall if possible. The further back they are, the more they will sound like they're behind you (as intended) rather than above you.

since you mentioned this, my question is my seating position is 10 ft from the screen, from where i am sitting to the back wall, there is approximately 15 ft. would mounting rear speakers on the back wall work?
post #6 of 19
Yes, the distance is compensated for with calibration, so that 15' is no problem. Does your AVR have Audyssey or similar? Otherwise, you need to get a sound level meter to properly calibrate each speaker to the listening area.
post #7 of 19
yea onkyo tx-nr3007, front channels all driven with a emotiva xpa-5, time to order some rear surround speakers now, thanks for the advice.

i always knew that audyssey compensated for distances and delays, just didnt know that it would work well enough in such a big room. the room is atleast 16x25 and opened on the entire right side leading to the main entrance, stairs, and kitchen. hope i can achieve some decent sound in such a open area.
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

my seating position is 10 ft from the screen, from where i am sitting to the back wall, there is approximately 15 ft. would mounting rear speakers on the back wall work?

It'll work. As Jim said, initial calibration will compensate for distance and levels. However, with the speakers that far back, you need to spread them well apart in order to hear stereo separation behind you (roughly 18 feet apart for your distance to the back wall).
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

It'll work. As Jim said, initial calibration will compensate for distance and levels. However, with the speakers that far back, you need to spread them well apart in order to hear stereo separation behind you (roughly 18 feet apart for your distance to the back wall).

wow 18ft apart in the back, sounds like a lot more work with my in wall wiring, i'm at best intermediate at in wall wiring, hope i can get it done. the speakers i planned to use for the back are emotiva erd-1, bipole / dipole capable speakers, do i really need them spaced that far apart with these speakers? this is for rear surround, not side surrounds btw.
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

wow 18ft apart in the back, sounds like a lot more work with my in wall wiring

Then don't do it. Modern surround processing like Dolby PLIIx runs the rear speakers (and side speakers) in stereo, as do discrete 7.1-channel soundtracks on Blu-ray. In order to hear that stereo separation back there, the rear speakers need to be spread wide apart (especially since our human hearing is not very good behind us).

The 18ft spread was just a suggestion to get your rear speakers 60 degrees apart. If you can't do it, due to wiring or some other limitation, then you can't do it. Just get them as wide apart as the wiring allows.
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Then don't do it. Modern surround processing like Dolby PLIIx runs the rear speakers (and side speakers) in stereo, as do discrete 7.1-channel soundtracks on Blu-ray. In order to hear that stereo separation back there, the rear speakers need to be spread wide apart (especially since our human hearing is not very good behind us).

The 18ft spread was just a suggestion to get your rear speakers 60 degrees apart. If you can't do it, due to wiring or some other limitation, then you can't do it. Just get them as wide apart as the wiring allows.

or he could follow the THX guidelines. I believe THX recommends to place rear speakers side-by-side.
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie View Post

or he could follow the THX guidelines. I believe THX recommends to place rear speakers side-by-side.

I wouldn't recommend that, since it lessens rear envelopment, promotes imaging reversals, and makes it all but impossible to hear stereo imaging behind you.
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

I wouldn't recommend that, since it lessens rear envelopment, promotes imaging reversals, and makes it all but impossible to hear stereo imaging behind you.

And he definitely shouldn't do it if he doesn't have a THX certified receiver. That rear speaker placement requires THX's ASA processing to work. That processing is only available in a THX certified receiver.

Craig
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie View Post

or he could follow the THX guidelines. I believe THX recommends to place rear speakers side-by-side.

Even THX refer you back to Dolby's recommendation that rear surrounds be 60 degrees apart.
post #15 of 19
Also even THX says that rear surrounds should NOT be bipole/dipole they should be direct firing. The side surrounds can be either but THX recommends that side surrounds be bipole/dipole. So you may want to consider this as well.
post #16 of 19
sadly all my speakers are pretty much here, emotiva erd-1s for surround that have been here for a while and another pair of erd-1 that probably shipped today. receiver is a onkyo tx-nr3007. i will look into that 60 degree placement, my back wall has a lot of space, but 60 degree with all that distance from the seating position does not seam possible for me? there's approx 15' from seating position to back wall.

i need to look into things more in regards to all these specifications and using/not using bipole/dipole speakers.

i've auditioned the erd-1s that i bought for my surrounds, and just bought a 2nd pair for rears, i plan to keep them and hope they work well.

and apologies for the thread jacking!
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

I wouldn't recommend that, since it lessens rear envelopment, promotes imaging reversals, and makes it all but impossible to hear stereo imaging behind you.

I wasn't recommending it. I was saying it as a second option, assuming he couldn't place them far apart.
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

And he definitely shouldn't do it if he doesn't have a THX certified receiver. That rear speaker placement requires THX's ASA processing to work. That processing is only available in a THX certified receiver.

Craig

Correct
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

And he definitely shouldn't do it if he doesn't have a THX certified receiver. That rear speaker placement requires THX's ASA processing to work. That processing is only available in a THX certified receiver.

Craig

Thank you for this post. Having read the guides for speaker placement, somehow I missed this bit and was planning on putting my rears side by side.

Much appreciated,

- JoN
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › 7.1 rear speaker placement