or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Newbie help: Will I notice a difference replacing my 12yo receiver?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Newbie help: Will I notice a difference replacing my 12yo receiver?

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
I'm really not an audiophile at all. Honestly, I think my current receiver sounds pretty darn good. Its a 12yo Kenwood, all it has is composite inputs and dolby pro-logic running 5.1.

Will I notice a drastic difference switching over to say an Onkyo 507 using HDMI?
post #2 of 37
Yes.
post #3 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

Yes.

Blue sky has it right.

fafner
post #4 of 37
For sure.
post #5 of 37
Of course, there's the matter of what is better and if that difference matters to you.

Modern receivers have many more audio and video decoding options. If you decide to upgrade to high-resolution video (1080p BluRay), then that will include the availability of high resolution digital video and audio formats which your current receiver can't handle: the audio bit rates are just too high and it can't process digital video at all.

Most modern receivers also include room audio equalization which can significantly improve the sound you hear.
post #6 of 37
If you are using composite video, then a new receiver won't do much for you. Obviously, you haven't made the jump to HD. Get a new TV and video player first, then worry about sound.
post #7 of 37
+1

No reason to make any change until you've joined the ranks of HD video and audio owners.
post #8 of 37
I'm not sure how everyone else is giving such definitive answers without knowing anything about the rest of your setup. Yes, the discrete surround (Dolby Digital, DTS and the HD formats) will all sound better than Pro Logic, but you may actually be hard pressed to hear much difference if your speakers and their placement is sub-par. On the flip side, Pro Logic with a great system can sound pretty good. I was watching a DVD the other night and didn't realize it was in "plain old" stereo until I looked at my receiver around 3/4 of the way through it and noticed the indicator lights.

In simple terms, if your speakers are good, then by all means get a modern receiver. If your speakers are old crap, then upgrade those first.
post #9 of 37
If it sounds good to you then you're all set. 12 years is not a long time. You have 5.1, it works, it gives you SOUND, prologic is great, and you like it.

Don't let the money-burning fanatics convince you otherwise. In a blind test between your receiver and a newer 5.1 receiver with the same speakers, I can almost GUARANTEE you would not hear a sound difference.
post #10 of 37
Big difference in SQ? Maybe, depending on speakers and room size.
Big difference in PQ? Yes, if you use HDMI.
Big difference on my rack-stand? Yes, that's not gonna look the same anymore.
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post

If it sounds good to you then you're all set. 12 years is not a long time. You have 5.1, it works, it gives you SOUND, prologic is great, and you like it.

Don't let the money-burning fanatics convince you otherwise. In a blind test between your receiver and a newer 5.1 receiver with the same speakers, I can almost GUARANTEE you would not hear a sound difference.

i'll take that bet... i won't get into the codec wars, but the automatic room correction in a "new" avr will make an audible difference...
post #12 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

+1

No reason to make any change until you've joined the ranks of HD video and audio owners.

What gave you guys the idea that I was using composite video? I have the HDMI out of my cable box going straight to my projector for video.
post #13 of 37
Thread Starter 
So what should I get? I want to get something cheap. Onkyo 507?
post #14 of 37
Thread Starter 
Help
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by imblind View Post

Help

If you are going to get something cheap, just forget about it. Wait until you can get something good.

fafner
post #16 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

If you are going to get something cheap, just forget about it. Wait until you can get something good.

fafner

That does not seem very helpful.
post #17 of 37
Thread Starter 
Ok lets say my budget is $400

I'm willing to buy used or refurb.

What to do?
post #18 of 37
Thread Starter 
Also I am curious about video upconversion. I hate watching standard def channels because they look terrible on my HD projector. Say if I get something like the Onkyo 707 that can upconvert SD to HD - will those channels look much better?
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by imblind View Post

Ok lets say my budget is $400

I'm willing to buy used or refurb.

What to do?

Denon AVR-1610 listed as $379 at Crutchfield and probably around the same from other vendors. Denon receivers are great and retain their value so upgrading to a better AVR later is made easier. If you can get a used or refurb Denon AVR-XX08 for about the same or less check into that also.

fafner
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by imblind View Post

That does not seem very helpful.

In the Receiver field, "cheap" products most often get you very little. Always better to buy a "quality" brand even if it is a lower tier model, or the alternative is to wait until a budget allows for something better.

fafner
post #21 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

In the Receiver field, "cheap" products most often get you very little. Always better to buy a "quality" brand even if it is a lower tier model, or the alternative is to wait until a budget allows for something better.

fafner


I did not mean cheap as in crappy. I meant cheap as in low priced, such as buying a used onkyo 507 or 606 for $200.
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by imblind View Post

I did not mean cheap as in crappy. I meant cheap as in low priced, such as buying a used onkyo 507 or 606 for $200.

I thought you meant low-price for new....which pretty much equals crappy. Any new receiver priced below say $249 I would consider cheap.

I have limited experience with Onkyo AVR's. What I found out however was that Onkyo tends to have more bells and whistles while Denon tends to have better build quality. Also Onkyo to me sounds overly bright and somewhat tinny while Denon tends to have a more rounded and warm sound.

Thus, that is why I recommended you look for a new or used Denon. If you can find used/refurb Onkyo AVR's for less money than comparable Denon models, that would tend to support my position that Denon products are both better to start with and that they also hold their value longer. Good luck.

fafner
post #23 of 37
If you really want to hear and see the difference, you might want to start with a Blu-Ray player first. Then get a new receiver that will decode the new audio codecs.
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by imblind View Post

What gave you guys the idea that I was using composite video? I have the HDMI out of my cable box going straight to my projector for video.


Reread your first post.
post #25 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

Reread your first post.

Obviously you misunderstood and assumed incorrectly - it says nothing about video. Thanks.
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by imblind View Post

Also I am curious about video upconversion. I hate watching standard def channels because they look terrible on my HD projector. Say if I get something like the Onkyo 707 that can upconvert SD to HD - will those channels look much better?

If you really hate watching SD channels then man up and upgrade to an HD package. I've never really understood why folks go out and pay $1000+ on an HDTV only to feed them SD video when in virtually every case the SD video is worse on the HDTV then on their old CRT. Upgrade to an HD package and fully appreciate what your HD projector can do. Upscaled SD channels won't even come close to the picture quality of a true 1080i/p source. Also, as has been suggested several times now, upgrade to a Blu-Ray so you can actually take advantage of the HD audio codecs on BDs.

If you insist on keeping your SD cable package, AND you're itching to spend your $400 then the lowest level Denon AVR you'll want to consider is the 1910 which can upscale SD video as well as decode the HD audio codecs. It currently can be had near that price range at Electronic Expo and 6Ave.
post #27 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If you really hate watching SD channels then man up and upgrade to an HD package. I've never really understood why folks go out and pay $1000+ on an HDTV only to feed them SD video when in virtually every case the SD video is worse on the HDTV then on their old CRT. Upgrade to an HD package and fully appreciate what your HD projector can do. Upscaled SD channels won't even come close to the picture quality of a true 1080i/p source. Also, as has been suggested several times now, upgrade to a Blu-Ray so you can actually take advantage of the HD audio codecs on BDs.

If you insist on keeping your SD cable package, AND you're itching to spend your $400 then the lowest level Denon AVR you'll want to consider is the 1910 which can upscale SD video as well as decode the HD audio codecs. It currently can be had near that price range at Electronic Expo and 6Ave.

Why do some of you keep assuming things? I DO have HD channels, all of them in fact. Unfortunately some programs I watch are not on HD channels, is this so surprising?...

I'm asking if an onkyo 707 will make SD look better than it is now, THAT'S ALL.
post #28 of 37
As it uses the older Faroudja chip technology, most likely no better than your existing HD cable box currently does. The 1910 with the newer ABT chip would most likely do a better job then either of the other two.
post #29 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As it uses the older Faroudja chip technology, most likely no better than your existing HD cable box currently does. The 1910 with the newer ABT chip would most likely do a better job then either of the other two.

Thanks. I'll see if I can wing that much money for one.
post #30 of 37
however, on a projector, if it looks like crap today, it's still gonna look like crap tomorrow, even with the better abt chip...

gigo... one of the universal laws of life, it's not unique to video...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Newbie help: Will I notice a difference replacing my 12yo receiver?