or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › What is the Best Media player for iso Support?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the Best Media player for iso Support?

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
title says it all really, the WD HD media player is okay for watching the main movie off of an iso but cant manage much else, chapter selection special features etc.
Is there any media player than can
ive heard the popcorn hour also plays iso's, can it access the menus and the like?
post #2 of 31
I have several Klegg Mediashares (2 year old technology) which play iso's perfectly. Everything plays just as if it was a DVD player for my iso rips. So my solution is a WDTV Live for my mkv files, a Klegg Mediashare for my iso's, and a ROKU box for Netflix. All this runs seamlessly through a component switchbox controlled by a universal remote. I replaced one of the Klegg's with the WDTV Live, so it is in the closet for now.
I don't think any unit will do all that you want, so you may have to use more than one media server in your setup.
post #3 of 31
Thread Starter 
Asus O! Play HDP-R1

wow for the price this player looks the business!
iso with chapter support, it can even read bluray iso's to, but without the menu.
Always pays to look around
post #4 of 31
Right now thw PCH C-200 is the only unit I have tested that gave full chapter/menu, etc... support for Blu Ray ISOs
post #5 of 31
I got the ASUS O!Play because lack of ISO playback with chapter support and menus was a deal breaker for me. So far the O!Play has done a outstanding job at that with one small hitch and that is there is no button or way to go back to the DVD menu once you start playing the DVD. I suspect this will be fixed in future upgrades.
post #6 of 31
I have the Seagate Theater+ I have not tried ISO images of DVDs. But have read that this device supports them. I have my dvds in folders and plays those with full menu support even over the network. This device is pretty inexpensive. I found it for $119 at best buy online. I have found the picture and sound quality above my expections for a device at this price range.
post #7 of 31
Thread Starter 
yeah ive heard about not being able to go back to the main menu, however ive seen how regularly this device gets firmware updates, so not a big issue at the moment
post #8 of 31
The Xtreamer does DVD ISO with menu support, and will soon have CSS decryption for regular DVDs (just need an external USB DVD drive connected). It also has Blu-ray ISO support (without the menu), but I believe that non-Java menus will be supported in a future firmware update.
post #9 of 31
The Brite-View CinemaTube plays DVD ISO files (I don't know about BD ISO) with full chapter and full menu support. In fact, there is even a "DVD MENU" button on the remote, and you can go back to the menu at any time. The experience is EXACTLY like playing an actual DVD disc in an actual DVD player.
post #10 of 31
Thread Starter 
I had a look on amazon.com The Brite-View CinemaTube looks very appealing

i read one of the reviews though and they had this to say

(can't search media file you are looking for. Here WD players win. CinemaTube still has to come up with an update to include this essential feature (specially, when you have hundreds of files in your HDD).

so what does this mean you dont know film you are going to watch until you view it?
post #11 of 31
Thread Starter 
how on earth would you find the film you want to watch if this is the case? :S
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaiboxerguy View Post

how on earth would you find the film you want to watch if this is the case? :S

I assume that you know the name of the DVD ISO you want to watch. I also assume you have put it in your HD in some systematic way. If I know the name of a film I want to see starts with "R", for instance, I go to the "R" folder on the HD, scroll down a few notches, and there it is.

If, however, you just dump all your media files in one big pile with no organization, then you're on your own!
post #13 of 31
My head is spinning with all the posts I've read about the WDTV Live. However one thing seems to be constant, as reflected in this thread, and that is that it can't play DVD menus or chapters. I had actually put the WDTV Live + external HDD on the christmas list for the wife, but if this remains true then it's a deal breaker. If it won't play DVD's properly then I don't want it.

I went as far as calling WD's presales support to ask about this and he said that it's not a feature because "they need a licence" to do so. So it appears that it's not a hardware/firmware limititation but a legal limitation, and if they have to get permission from some entertainment lawyer somewhere then I don't think it's ever going to happen, officially.

So. Two questions. I haven't found a "home brew" firmware that enables DVD menus/chapters (not to say there may not be one, I just haven't found it). If there is one then can someone please point me to it.

If there isn't a home brew firmware that does the trick then what other device would people recommend that will handle DVDs properly and also play .mkv, .avi, .flv, .mpg, .xvid, .divx, .mov and, preferably, Panasonic video cam and Canon Powershot videos? I'm going to look at the Popcorn Hour, Asus Oplay and other items mentioned in this thread, but some informed feedback for an ignoramus would be appreciated.

For reference currently the device would be used on SD TV's, using component video and TV sound inputs, but I'd want something capable of use on HDTV's, and probably a receiver, once the existing one's are upgraded.

The WDTV Live looks great, if only it would play DVDs!!

Thanks.
post #14 of 31
I actually emailed WD about this a few days ago, since if it supported DVD menus it'd be the closest device to what I want.

Their reply was that it does not officially support ISOs at all, and they have no plans to do so, which eliminated it from any consideration on my part.

(unofficially it will play the largest video file inside an iso, but no menus).
post #15 of 31
Seek and you shall find

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1152967 - frequent firmware support through customer feedback/requests, DVD-ISO, BD-ISO

http://www.playonhd.com/en/#info
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by preacher1010 View Post

Seek and you shall find

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1152967 - frequent firmware support through customer feedback/requests, DVD-ISO, BD-ISO

http://www.playonhd.com/en/#info

Sadly it doesn't appear you can get that unit shipped to the US at the moment
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9 View Post

Sadly it doesn't appear you can get that unit shipped to the US at the moment

I thought that too, but if you click on the US flag at checkout they ship to the US for $20
post #18 of 31
Have they cleared up the Customs problems yet?
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeader View Post

Have they cleared up the Customs problems yet?

I know as of a few weeks ago they had not. I could not find a way to get the PlayON in the states, so ended up getting an Xtreamer instead.
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by twan69666 View Post

I thought that too, but if you click on the US flag at checkout they ship to the US for $20

They can't though.

They've been held up in customs since 9/25, no date when they will be released (if ever).

Statement from their US distributor-

https://www.gizmodaddy.com/storefron....php?newsid=21
post #21 of 31
The PlayOn!HD remains unavailable for shipping within the USA. Since late September 2009, all imports in the USA have been stopped by US Customs due to a licensing investigation.

We have decided to carry the Mede8er MED500X instead of the PlayOn!HD. It is based on the same processor as the PlayOn!HD (Realtek RTD1073). However, it is better rated than the PlayOn!HD due to the addition of navigation controls on the player itself, a better designed remote control, and a more refined user interface.
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDaddy View Post

The PlayOn!HD remains unavailable for shipping within the USA. Since late September 2009, all imports in the USA have been stopped by US Customs due to a licensing investigation.

We have decided to carry the Mede8er MED500X instead of the PlayOn!HD. It is based on the same processor as the PlayOn!HD (Realtek RTD1073). However, it is better rated than the PlayOn!HD due to the addition of navigation controls on the player itself, a better designed remote control, and a more refined user interface.

I have heard great news for Mede8er, that was actually my choice over Xtreamer and PlayON. Couldn't find a reseller of the Mede8er or PlayOn in the states. Great to know you now carry the Mede8er.
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDaddy View Post

The PlayOn!HD remains unavailable for shipping within the USA. Since late September 2009, all imports in the USA have been stopped by US Customs due to a licensing investigation.

We have decided to carry the Mede8er MED500X instead of the PlayOn!HD. It is based on the same processor as the PlayOn!HD (Realtek RTD1073). However, it is better rated than the PlayOn!HD due to the addition of navigation controls on the player itself, a better designed remote control, and a more refined user interface.

Thanks for the info!

Can you confirm if the Mede8er does DVD ISO with menu support? What about bluray ISOs with menu support?

(and since I'm asking, what about all the HD audio formats the PlayOn! apparently was pending a firmware update to be able to enable?)
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9 View Post

Thanks for the info!

Can you confirm if the Mede8er does DVD ISO with menu support? What about bluray ISOs with menu support?

(and since I'm asking, what about all the HD audio formats the PlayOn! apparently was pending a firmware update to be able to enable?)

Ahhh gotcha. Sorry, didnt keep up with the customs thing.

I'm curious about these exact same questions
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by twan69666 View Post

Ahhh gotcha. Sorry, didnt keep up with the customs thing.

I'm curious about these exact same questions

Just reading around on the forums HD Bitstreaming is still not happening, it sounds to be a combination of SDK and licensing issue. I would be surprised if PlayON has it working anytime soon since they are all running off the same SDK. It just seems to be very popular to say "HD Audio supported...in a coming firmware update". I have an Xtreamer and would assume that the Mede8er functions similarly with Isos. DVD Isos play with full DVD Menu navigation. BR Isos play, but no menu navigation. Video_TS you have to actually navigate into the Video_TS folder and select the ifo file.
post #26 of 31
OPlay HDP-R1 from amazon for $85 (potentially $75 after magazine rebate) is really looking very tempting.
post #27 of 31
This is a great thread. I'm trying to figure out whether a HTPC or Media Streamer would meet my needs. It seems that an off the shelf HTPC does not do HD Audio bitstream over HDMI. Does the Mede8er accomplish this? (Be gentle with me - I'm a newbie)
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCNM View Post

This is a great thread. I'm trying to figure out whether a HTPC or Media Streamer would meet my needs. It seems that an off the shelf HTPC does not do HD Audio bitstream over HDMI. Does the Mede8er accomplish this? (Be gentle with me - I'm a newbie)

Pretty sure the mede8er does not Bitstream HD Audio yet, a limitation of the realtek devices so far.
post #29 of 31
I would recommend Brite-View.. I am an owner of it and also a few of my friends and they are all satisfied with it. It plays hd content and iso/vob files as well as rmvb. As far as the search feature, that's secondary because it can be resolved in a firmware update later. If you want to play iso files and be able to have a full dvd navigation experience, go with the BriteView since it has a full feature remote (other media players around the price do not have full feature remote even if it plays iso).. the question is would you disregard this player just because of a missing search function..when it can play most of the file types out there and addresses your needs and much more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaiboxerguy View Post

I had a look on amazon.com The Brite-View CinemaTube looks very appealing

i read one of the reviews though and they had this to say

(can't search media file you are looking for. Here WD players win. CinemaTube still has to come up with an update to include this essential feature (specially, when you have hundreds of files in your HDD).

so what does this mean you dont know film you are going to watch until you view it?
post #30 of 31
The CinemaTube does sound interesting. Not sure I care about the search function. Does it pass through HD Audio via HDMI?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › What is the Best Media player for iso Support?