or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Rockin' Room - Page 36

post #1051 of 1294
Thread Starter 
For awhile I've been thinking about putting my center channel back on it's OEM stand. But the thought of running Audyssey again has not excited me. I think this weekend I'll give it a go... or maybe not. I dunno yet.

Center with stand:


Center without stand:
post #1052 of 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

For awhile I've been thinking about putting my center channel back on it's OEM stand. But the thought of running Audyssey again has not excited me. I think this weekend I'll give it a go... or maybe not. I dunno yet.
Center with stand:

Center without stand:

Yeah the whole thought of having to re-run Audyssey is not a fun one. Personally I really like the way the Theater (and Theater i) looks on its stand.

How's your weekend been mi amigo?
post #1053 of 1294
I agree, I like the look of the stand although yeah it can be a chore to have to re-run Audyssey.
post #1054 of 1294
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Yeah the whole thought of having to re-run Audyssey is not a fun one. Personally I really like the way the Theater (and Theater i) looks on its stand.
How's your weekend been mi amigo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

I agree, I like the look of the stand although yeah it can be a chore to have to re-run Audyssey.


Finally stopped procrastinating and got the center channel back on her stand. The pics don't capture it, but she looks pretty intimidating.

Will run Audyssey later tonight. Maybe. I dunno yet.




A little blurry.redface.gif
post #1055 of 1294
looks good Wabo, Like you I hate doing Audyssey. The Pro is even worse you have to get too the back of your pre amp to plug in the Rs232 to USB cable in eek.gif
post #1056 of 1294
Looking great Wabo! I think it looks even better with the stand.....very modern. in Jamaican patois, there is a popular phrase: "Yuh betta than me" which essentially means "I give you kudos for doing "X" because I wouldn't do it." In terms of re-running Audyssey after the addition of the stand, I must say yuh betta than me because I know deep down that I wouldn't re-run Audyssey for such a small change..even though it's the proper thing to do. Lol.
post #1057 of 1294
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

looks good Wabo, Like you I hate doing Audyssey. The Pro is even worse you have to get too the back of your pre amp to plug in the Rs232 to USB cable in eek.gif

I hear ya, mate. It's not high on my "things to do that's fun" list. Next time you're in town, you should stop by with your pro kit. I'll even throw a few steaks on the barbie.wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Looking great Wabo! I think it looks even better with the stand.....very modern. in Jamaican patois, there is a popular phrase: "Yuh betta than me" which essentially means "I give you kudos for doing "X" because I wouldn't do it." In terms of re-running Audyssey after the addition of the stand, I must say yuh betta than me because I know deep down that I wouldn't re-run Audyssey for such a small change..even though it's the proper thing to do. Lol.

Thanks, B². I probably should have left well enough alone. Audysseey is so frustrating. It's never consistent for me. Some times it will say my subs are correctly 13.5' away. Other times it will say incorrectly they're 16' away. Which is what happened last night. So I will rerun it again tonight.
post #1058 of 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I hear ya, mate. It's not high on my "things to do that's fun" list. Next time you're in town, you should stop by with your pro kit. I'll even throw a few steaks on the barbie.wink.gif
Thanks, B². I probably should have left well enough alone. Audysseey is so frustrating. It's never consistent for me. Some times it will say my subs are correctly 13.5' away. Other times it will say incorrectly they're 16' away. Which is what happened last night. So I will rerun it again tonight.

Hey Wabo, just a reminder, Audyssey is measuring the acoustical distance of the subs in order to set the phase properly with the main speakers. Not the actual distance of the subs. You should allow it to set that distance.
post #1059 of 1294
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Hey Wabo, just a reminder, Audyssey is measuring the acoustical distance of the subs in order to set the phase properly with the main speakers. Not the actual distance of the subs. You should allow it to set that distance.

Hey there, HTG.

I understand all that. My frustration is I could run Audyssey 10 times and every time I would get different results. There's no consistency. That's what irritates me.
post #1060 of 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Hey there, HTG.
I understand all that. My frustration is I could run Audyssey 10 times and every time I would get different results. There's no consistency. That's what irritates me.

I totally understand that sir. That is why I have to fall back on my old school techniques when setting up subwoofers, using SPL meters and graphing tools, when any of the Auto cal programs cannot seem to get it right. frown.gif
post #1061 of 1294
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

I totally understand that sir. That is why I have to fall back on my old school techniques when setting up subwoofers, using SPL meters and graphing tools, when any of the Auto cal programs cannot seem to get it right. frown.gif

Maybe you have some suggestions on why Audyssey is setting my main L/R speakers too "hot".

All my other speakers and subs (I'm running two subs as one) are almost within +/-3db of each other. The two main speakers coming out too hot. Here's two separate cals I recently did.

Channel Level;

Front L +6.5
Front R +5.5
Center +1.5
Sub -2.0
Surr L +1.5
Surr R +1.0
Surr Back L +2.0
Surr Back R +1.5

Cal 2:

Channel Level;

Front L +7.0
Front R +5.0
Center +2.0
Sub -2.5
Surr L +2.5
Surr R +1.0
Surr Back L +2.5
Surr Back R +2.0

Any ideas or suggestions?
post #1062 of 1294
Wabo,

Are you running the standard audyssey calibration or the pro one? also are you sure that there's complete silence in the room when running the calibration?

when you say you run 2 sub as one, you meant that they're daisy chained, if so, have you tried them separetely during the calibration ?
post #1063 of 1294
Wabo read that link I sent you. The Martin Logan speakers being that there Electrostatic are very different than most speakers out there. Jonfo write up may help you. Let us know what Chris says too.
post #1064 of 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Wabo read that link I sent you. The Martin Logan speakers being that there Electrostatic are very different than most speakers out there. Jonfo write up may help you. Let us know what Chris says too.

Hi Frank and Jeff. I just read that info from Jonfo and he basically said the same thing I was going to suggest to you Jeff. Make sure the Audyssey mic is not getting any interference from chair/couch by either reclining the chair or raising the mic higher than the chair back. Make sure you take closer mic positions around the LP area. The mic should be moved around the bubble around the LP no more than 2 feet left to right or front to back of the LP. Don't worry about the seats that are beyond this 2 foot bubble. Save those seats for the in-laws. tongue.gif One other thing you should check is the speaker cable itself. With the boosting of the main speakers + 7 in your case the mic is calculating that your speakers are playing quieter than expected. Do you use Banana plugs, spades or bare wire. I have found out in the past that I can get better calculations when a client had bare wire by just cutting off the tips of the wire, stripping back some of the jacket, so there is a nice clean unoxidized end to the wire. Hope this helps.
post #1065 of 1294
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiallo View Post

Wabo,
Are you running the standard audyssey calibration or the pro one? also are you sure that there's complete silence in the room when running the calibration?
when you say you run 2 sub as one, you meant that they're daisy chained, if so, have you tried them separetely during the calibration ?

I'm running Audyssey XT32, non pro. Waiting for the Franin to stop by with his kit. wink.gif

The subs are ran as a .1 thru my pre/pro. They're not daisy chained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Wabo read that link I sent you. The Martin Logan speakers being that there Electrostatic are very different than most speakers out there. Jonfo write up may help you. Let us know what Chris says too.

Still waiting for Chris to reply. I did send him the email late last night. I'll read Jonfo's write up later today. I'm pretty sure I know what it says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Hi Frank and Jeff. I just read that info from Jonfo and he basically said the same thing I was going to suggest to you Jeff. Make sure the Audyssey mic is not getting any interference from chair/couch by either reclining the chair or raising the mic higher than the chair back. Make sure you take closer mic positions around the LP area. The mic should be moved around the bubble around the LP no more than 2 feet left to right or front to back of the LP. Don't worry about the seats that are beyond this 2 foot bubble. Save those seats for the in-laws. tongue.gif One other thing you should check is the speaker cable itself. With the boosting of the main speakers + 7 in your case the mic is calculating that your speakers are playing quieter than expected. Do you use Banana plugs, spades or bare wire. I have found out in the past that I can get better calculations when a client had bare wire by just cutting off the tips of the wire, stripping back some of the jacket, so there is a nice clean unoxidized end to the wire. Hope this helps.

Hey HTG.

I'm typing this on my phone in the car wash. That's why brief responses.redface.gif

Yes, the mic is and always has been above the furniture. Keep in mind all other speaker and sub settings are fine. Speaker is attached using spades. Not cutting those off for bare wire.tongue.gif

I'll run another cal tonight using different mic positions. See what happens.

Car wash is done. Gotta go.
post #1066 of 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I'm running Audyssey XT32, non pro. Waiting for the Franin to stop by with his kit. wink.gif
The subs are ran as a .1 thru my pre/pro. They're not daisy chained.
Still waiting for Chris to reply. I did send him the email late last night. I'll read Jonfo's write up later today. I'm pretty sure I know what it says.
Hey HTG.
I'm typing this on my phone in the car wash. That's why brief responses.redface.gif
Yes, the mic is and always has been above the furniture. Keep in mind all other speaker and sub settings are fine. Speaker is attached using spades. Not cutting those off for bare wire.tongue.gif
I'll run another cal tonight using different mic positions. See what happens.
Car wash is done. Gotta go.

Spades are good. I use Banana plugs. 12 guage Monster cable no less. Like I said try doing a smaller bubble of multiple readings closer to your LP.
post #1067 of 1294
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Spades are good. I use Banana plugs. 12 guage Monster cable no less. Like I said try doing a smaller bubble of multiple readings closer to your LP.

It's the inconsistencies with Audyssey that give me gray hair. Audyssey had previously set my mains at L +5.0 and R +3.5. Now Audyessy is coming back with a +2.0db hotter setting on both speakers. Just more gray hair, HTG.
post #1068 of 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I hear ya, mate. It's not high on my "things to do that's fun" list. Next time you're in town, you should stop by with your pro kit. I'll even throw a few steaks on the barbie.wink.gif
Thanks, B². I probably should have left well enough alone. Audysseey is so frustrating. It's never consistent for me. Some times it will say my subs are correctly 13.5' away. Other times it will say incorrectly they're 16' away. Which is what happened last night. So I will rerun it again tonight.

Lol@ the B(squared) and the animation! Man I understand your frustration with Audyssey. One of the first things I Do after running Audyssey is correct speaker distances. (Grrr) Then, level match my subs to 75db (arghjh) and change the crossover (grrrttt). Just running Audyssey is a headache...the fine-tuning makes me want to pull my beard-hairs out with a lawnmower.....but then.....thennnn.....I play music or a movie clip, and I forget the horror!
post #1069 of 1294
Good luck wabo on the next try smile.gif
post #1070 of 1294
How did you go mate
post #1071 of 1294
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Lol@ the B(squared) and the animation! Man I understand your frustration with Audyssey. One of the first things I Do after running Audyssey is correct speaker distances. (Grrr) Then, level match my subs to 75db (arghjh) and change the crossover (grrrttt). Just running Audyssey is a headache...the fine-tuning makes me want to pull my beard-hairs out with a lawnmower.....but then.....thennnn.....I play music or a movie clip, and I forget the horror!

What's shaking, B²?

Lol. Audyssey voodoo can be maddening. I almost hired a witch doctor to sacrifice a chicken. Probably wound't have hurt. I ran it again last night and just by changing the mic stand positions, not the mic, I shaved 2.0db off the front L/R's. Like I said, sacrifice a chicken and you'll get the same if not better results. I then watched Dredd. That movie has a nice aggressive soundtrack, with good LFE and very active surrounds. I felt like I was in the battle. This movie will have you grinning from ear-to-ear. Check it out.
post #1072 of 1294
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Good luck wabo on the next try smile.gif

Thanks, Franin. Audyssey has a way of bringing out the colorful metaphors in me. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

How did you go mate

Not too bad. Being the glutton for punishment I am, I may even run it again tonight. eek.gif

Have you watched Dredd yet?
post #1073 of 1294
Yeah I definitely like the look of the center on it's stand. Pretty intimidating looking.
post #1074 of 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Thanks, Franin. Audyssey has a way of bringing out the colorful metaphors in me. wink.gif

lol it certainly does that smile.gif
Quote:
Not too bad. Being the glutton for punishment I am, I may even run it again tonight. eek.gif

We all do that, as much as we dislike in doing it.
Quote:
Have you watched Dredd yet?

Ordered on a blind buy with other movies hopefully by Monday.
post #1075 of 1294
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Yeah I definitely like the look of the center on it's stand. Pretty intimidating looking.

Thanks, PC. I like it's looks a lot more on the stand too. You seen any good movies lately?
post #1076 of 1294
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

lol it certainly does that smile.gif
We all do that, as much as we dislike in doing it.
Ordered on a blind buy with other movies hopefully by Monday.

Why do we do this to ourselves, Franin?biggrin.gif

I will be adding it to my collection next week when Best Buy resumes their u/s program.
post #1077 of 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Why do we do this to ourselves, Franin?biggrin.gif

Because we're nuts
Quote:
I will be adding it to my collection next week when Best Buy resumes their u/s program.

Excellent
post #1078 of 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

What's shaking, B²?

Lol. Audyssey voodoo can be maddening. I almost hired a witch doctor to sacrifice a chicken. Probably wound't have hurt. I ran it again last night and just by changing the mic stand positions, not the mic, I shaved 2.0db off the front L/R's. Like I said, sacrifice a chicken and you'll get the same if not better results. I then watched Dredd. That movie has a nice aggressive soundtrack, with good LFE and very active surrounds. I felt like I was in the battle. This movie will have you grinning from ear-to-ear. Check it out.

Ah I will indeed scoop it up! You had me at "LFE". Lol...I recall Stallone and Assante in the original....'twas quite cheesy, but I hear this one is grittier and more fulfilling! Can't wait to pop it in!
post #1079 of 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Ah I will indeed scoop it up! You had me at "LFE". Lol...I recall Stallone and Assante in the original....'twas quite cheesy, but I hear this one is grittier and more fulfilling! Can't wait to pop it in!
Same hopefully it arrives Saturday
post #1080 of 1294
Wabo are you content with Audyssey final settings or are you going again ?
Edited by Franin - 1/12/13 at 4:56am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home