or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Question about the Toshiba 40RV525R firmware upgrade ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question about the Toshiba 40RV525R firmware upgrade ?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
OK so I see that a firmware update is listed on http://support.toshiba.ca/support/ce...?docid=D000021, but which one do I use? They have 3 difference files listed without any indication about which one to use. And why is the firmware only on the Canadian site?
post #2 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post

OK so I see that a firmware update is listed on http://support.toshiba.ca/support/ce...?docid=D000021, but which one do I use? They have 3 difference files listed without any indication about which one to use. And why is the firmware only on the Canadian site?

#1. Download all 3 onto a blank thumb/flash drive.
#2. No idea why they choose not to list updates on their U.S. site
post #3 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ax gates View Post

#1. Download all 3 onto a blank thumb/flash drive.
#2. No idea why they choose not to list updates on their U.S. site

Thanks, now I'm wondering if I should upgrade. I would hate to have the upgrade screw up the TV.
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post

Thanks, now I'm wondering if I should upgrade. I would hate to have the upgrade screw up the TV.

That's a decision you'll have to make. I can tell you from my experience, I had no issues downloading and installing that firmware and 2 previous ones for this model.
post #5 of 29
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the info, maybe I will do it. Just have to find a USB drive now, gave my old one away years ago.
post #6 of 29
I downloaded all three firmware files and put them on my USB stick and nothing happened. should the USB be formatted FAT, FAT32, or NTSF? does it matter if I have the sat box on? I haven't done a firmware upgrade on a TV before, so sorry if the questions are noobie. Thanx in advance.
post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalLucy View Post

I downloaded all three firmware files and put them on my USB stick and nothing happened. should the USB be formatted FAT, FAT32, or NTSF? does it matter if I have the sat box on? I haven't done a firmware upgrade on a TV before, so sorry if the questions are noobie. Thanx in advance.

I read somewhere on the board that it should be FAT32.
post #8 of 29
Thanks hn333, I reformatted my thumb drive and then put the files back on and when I inserted in the TV, it flashed a couple of times like it was going to do something and then nothing. Oh well, don't know what it fixes. Thanks anyway.
post #9 of 29
Thread Starter 
Did you put all three files on the USB drive? I just did it yesterday and it worked fine. A message asking if you want to update should show up when it finds the right file.
post #10 of 29
I had the same issue trying to upgrade the firmware, I even tried all 4 differnet types of thumb drives I have, nothing worked.

I called Toshiba this afternoon, and they are aware there is a problem, it may be their web server. Anyways, they are sending a flash drive with the firmware by mail.
post #11 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post

I had the same issue trying to upgrade the firmware, I even tried all 4 differnet types of thumb drives I have, nothing worked.

I called Toshiba this afternoon, and they are aware there is a problem, it may be their web server. Anyways, they are sending a flash drive with the firmware by mail.

Thats pretty good of Toshiba. I used a 2 GB sandisk drive and it worked without a problem. The only thing I noticed that Toshiba puts the usb port upside down.
post #12 of 29
Hi, I have the 40RV525u model of this tv. Is this update for me too? And what does yjis update actually do?
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post

Did you put all three files on the USB drive? I just did it yesterday and it worked fine. A message asking if you want to update should show up when it finds the right file.

I did put all three on the drive and it didn't work for me. I will try another thumb drive if I can find one. thanks for your help
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkserpant View Post

Hi, I have the 40RV525u model of this tv. Is this update for me too? And what does yjis update actually do?

yes it seems to be for the U and the R. check the link further up the page and it lists the models that it is for. cheers
post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalLucy View Post

yes it seems to be for the U and the R. check the link further up the page and it lists the models that it is for. cheers

The 40RV525R firmware can only use on the Toshiba 40RV525R.
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post

Thats pretty good of Toshiba. I used a 2 GB sandisk drive and it worked without a problem. The only thing I noticed that Toshiba puts the usb port upside down.

I tried one of those, it was a no go. Maybe there is something wrong with the set itself.
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post

The 40RV525R firmware can only use on the Toshiba 40RV525R.

OOPS sorry about that, you are right. I went back and read the models that this is for and the U is not one of them. sorry. still can't get it to load on mine though.
post #18 of 29
Well, I tried another thumb drive with the same results. nothing. I guess I will call Toshiba also. thanks all.
post #19 of 29
Stumbled across this thread just now. Can't get the files to download for 40xv640u. What gives?? Nevermind, got them through IE, Mozilla can't download apparently.
post #20 of 29
Where do I find what firmware my unit is currently running. Also, what changes does the new firmware make?
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchiefsguru View Post

Where do I find what firmware my unit is currently running. Also, what changes does the new firmware make?

With the remote hit menu, scroll to "setup". Under the "setup" tab highlight "installation" and hit enter. Scroll to "system status", then down to "system information", hit enter. Your software version should appear on screen at that point.

As for the differences in firmware versions, the changes are usually listed where you download the updates. Link provided below....

Link
post #22 of 29
the usb stick from Toshiba was delivered yesterday, and it did the same thing, 3 quick flashes, and one long flash then nothing. I called tech support, and the rep had me look athe the tag on the set for the model #, 40RV525R on the tag. Then he had me look in the Information menu, 40RV525RZ.

The RZ is the latest revision to the set, and the firmware is different, that is why the firmware update would not work. I was told Toshiba is working on updating the firmware for all their sets, and an update would be ready for this set soon.

For everyone who has problems with the update, check the model # on the information screen, as this was the only indication my set was a 40RV525RZ and not a 40RV525R.

good luck
post #23 of 29
just a follow up for those with the Z model, version 9 is posted here, and it works on my set.

http://support.toshiba.ca/support/ce...?docid=D000024
post #24 of 29
Thanks for posting that, mine also is an RZ. I was wondering what I was doing wrong. Thanks again. cheers
Download worked for me also. Don't quite know what it fixed, but, no problems here.
post #25 of 29
Just a fyi, since some people were asking what this update did... in my case, after installing the latest fw on my 40XV640U, I begin to wonder if the 120hz feature on my set ever worked prior to this point.

Yes, it was always enabled in the menu. But there is an unmistakable difference between pre-update 120hz and post-update 120hz on this set. For what it's worth, my set originally reported fw v1.0. Not sure how important that is, considering post-update it reports v0.36.

someones1
post #26 of 29
My set is frozen on the video1 input. I was attempting to install these updates and it is now stuck. Any Ideas???????????
post #27 of 29
I have serious problem with my set. Bought it on Black Friday and 2 weeks ago, it started to refuse to be turned on. Initially I couldn't turn it on with remote though the green light was on. Since then I was using the manual on/off button on the side panel, as of yesterday, it basically refused to be on no matter I used the manual on/off or remote. I'm waiting for Toshiba to get back to me. I wonder if I should do any firmware upgrade...
post #28 of 29
Well, I have done the FW updates and now my sound stutters every once in a while. I didn't know if it was the satellite receiver or the TV, so I turned one off first and then back on. It was the TV.
post #29 of 29
Just Pickup the 40RV525RZ this past Saturday for $444.00. What a great TV at a great price. I just upgraded the firmware from : Aug 11 2009 - 14.08FW: 1.05 To : Dec 03 2009 - 21:58FW: 1.09 with no issues at all. Also the build date of the TV is Dec 2009.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Question about the Toshiba 40RV525R firmware upgrade ?