or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › LG BD270 owners thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG BD270 owners thread.

post #1 of 60
Thread Starter 
I could not find one, so I made this post!

I have had it for a few days, and overall it performs very well.

Upscaling is more than acceptable, however lack of features (sound and display setup) could be a problem for some.

One issue I have with it, it seems to pause for about 1/4 second during a layer change.

around 1:00:03 on "PS i love you, regular DVD"

around 0:37:00 on "Terminator salvation, Blu ray"

It did this both with the original firmware, and the latest on the LG site.

It is connected with HDMI only.

My build date was sept 09.

What are other users findings, lets hear them!
post #2 of 60
Does anyone know if an earlier (pre 8.x) firmware is available anywhere for download?
post #3 of 60
Ooh, we finally have a thread for my blu-ray player.

I like it but here are two issues I am having

1.) It likes to turn off... a lot. It will turn off when I am fast forwarding (is that term even used anymore?), or when I skip through a lot of stuff. Then it likes to shut itself off at random, but that happens less frequently.

2.) Lip sync issues. I have it running through a sony HTss360 HTiB which is then hooked up to a Vizio LCD all with HDMI. The audio is faster than the video. This is the only device that does this in my assortment of devices hooked up to the HTiB

Do you suggest a firmware upgrade for any of these issues? I have whatever was on there when I took it out of the box.

Other than that, I love the player. I also love the OG retro green LCD.
post #4 of 60
Well, after applying the update I have yet to have it shut off on me.
*knocks on wood*

When it would shut off in the past, I tried to feel for heat but it doesn't get that hot. Nothing more than what a normal DVD player would.
post #5 of 60
I've been pleased with this player so far although I've had some freezing issues with The Hangover and major sound issues with Ice Age 3. Anyway, I've been unsuccessful at updating the firmware provided on the LG website. I'll transfer the updates onto my USB memory device but when I insert it into the player, no update window will appear. When I browse the contents of the memory device on the home menu, the player does not seem to detect the files.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas? Thanks!
post #6 of 60
I wish I knew if the firmware on the LG website was new or not. Outside of that, the player has been outstanding!
post #7 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by seannc View Post

I've been pleased with this player so far although I've had some freezing issues with The Hangover and major sound issues with Ice Age 3. Anyway, I've been unsuccessful at updating the firmware provided on the LG website. I'll transfer the updates onto my USB memory device but when I insert it into the player, no update window will appear. When I browse the contents of the memory device on the home menu, the player does not seem to detect the files.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas? Thanks!

Make sure you plug it in AFTER you turn on the player.
post #8 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by seannc View Post

Any ideas?

Rename the file LG_BD_350BB.ROM_v808021_AsCKRs_production to LG_BD_350BB.ROM
post #9 of 60
Same problem as seannc.

I have downloaded the firmware update from LG and loaded it onto my USB drive.

I changed the file name, as suggested.

I turn on the unit, then insert the USB, and nothing happens. Growing very impatient, as I can't find help anywhere else on this. Any suggestions from those who have successfully updated their firmware? Perhaps a step by step walkthrough for people like myself?
post #10 of 60
Hey All,
I just picked up an Onkyo TX-SR507 to replace my old Yamaha..
Previously I had the player set at DTS-Re-encode.
Now I am trying to decide if I should move it to PCM Multi or Primary Pass Thru..
I get a little confused with those options...
post #11 of 60
Thanks for the replies. I still haven't had any luck but I'm intrigued by Dave84's solution, but I'm a bit unclear with the instructions. How do you save the file to the root directory?
post #12 of 60
So I just got done watching about 5 episodes of lost in a row, and the bottom of the player is burning hot. It hurts to even touch it. Is this normal for this blu ray player? How hot does yours get after even just a few hours?
post #13 of 60
I haven't noticed any kind of heat issues with mine. (Even watched about 5 episodes of LOST in a row too.) What I have noticed is some major audio sync issues as well though. Sound is about a half second or so off of the picture. Also, still unsuccessful at installing a firmware update, despite following the many suggestions from other posters.

So far, this player isn't very good. Maybe I'll be taking mine back as well.
post #14 of 60
Has anyone had problems with sound distortion? The sound on mine seems to be distorted.
post #15 of 60
I have mine raised up on a mesh rack sort of thing so it isn't sitting directly on top of my HTiB. The shelf is an open shelf, so there is no enclosed area. I was surprised, because it was actually burning hot on the bottom.
post #16 of 60
Hello:
I looked on the LG site and found nothing about updating the firmware for the bd270. Can anybody provide a link?
post #17 of 60
post #18 of 60
I updated mine when I bought it in November, but do you guys know if the firmware in that link posted above, is newer than November 15th or so?
post #19 of 60
I've tried to update my firmware also (changed name, inserted after on) and I can't get the update screen to come up - Does that mean I have the newest version already?
post #20 of 60
both the program update for the US only and the one underneath that is double the size must be downloaded and unzipped. Replace the LG_BD_350BB.ROM file with the LG_BD_350BB.ROM_v808021_AsCKRs_production file from the US only and place on a USB drive. Turn on player with no disc inside and insert USB drive after player is at option screen. That's how i updated mine.
post #21 of 60
I got one of these on Fry's Black Friday pricing... (real cheap) and I was fine with it until it wouldn't play some regular DVD's (non-bluray)... I called LG up and they wanted me to send the unit back for an entire swap out, there's a firmware that's not available for download or some kind of modification they do to the unit.
post #22 of 60
I was itching to pull the trigger on one of these BF. I think I'm going to go with a different brand. I also was going to get a Panasonic but I think I'll stay away from those too. After seeing posts about people saying that LG wants units shipped back, I think I'll go with something else.
post #23 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor View Post

I was itching to pull the trigger on one of these BF. I think I'm going to go with a different brand. I also was going to get a Panasonic but I think I'll stay away from those too. After seeing posts about people saying that LG wants units shipped back, I think I'll go with something else.

Yeah they said it would take 2 weeks to send me a new unit... but I opted just to return the unit to Fry's... LG didn't care whether I kept it or returned it... I'm thinking the first few batches have some firmware/hardware bugs which can't even be fixed by a firmware upgrade including the noise distortion, inability to play certain DVD's or Blu-ray...
post #24 of 60
I've never used a LG computer monitor or TV but I'll probably try a LG monitor the next time I buy one.
LG - computer monitor (I currently have a Dell)
TV - 1.Sony 2.Mitsibishi 3.LG or 1.Mitsubishi 2.Sony 3.LG
DVD - Toshiba
Blu Ray - Toshiba (LG and Panasonic posts have me scared)
Receiver - Yamaha or Pioneer (Denon is too much for my budget)
post #25 of 60
Does anyone know if this unit plays videos from USB? In Amazon's description as well as Lg's own website it says it does, and this is the main reason that I bought this over a better equipped Sony S360. But I have read elsewhere that the US version of the Bd270 does not play videos from Usb! can anyone confirm this? please??
post #26 of 60
anyone??....
post #27 of 60
doesn't play video from USB, just does pictures and music.
post #28 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

I updated mine when I bought it in November, but do you guys know if the firmware in that link posted above, is newer than November 15th or so?

I'm bumping this because (amazingly) it never got answered.
post #29 of 60
Hi,

Just wanted to comment regarding the firmware updates. So I download the files from the LG website. After I renamed the file AND put the newer 'B' file onto a USB drive also with the older 'A' file, my player would see the files and ask if I wanted to flash the unit.

I wish LG would would post more info about the firmware versions (dates? what's new?). When I tried to do this update the screen said I had (the white text.. which is my current version right?)
Driver: H61460
S/W Version: BD.8.16.059.A

And in blue (which is the version on the USB drive right?) it said BD.8.16.059

So is the 'A' version older than the non 'A' version? Anybody know what this does? My player is working ok... so I wonder if I should upgrade or not.

thanks,
Peter
post #30 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by prberg View Post

Hi,

Just wanted to comment regarding the firmware updates. So I download the files from the LG website. After I renamed the file AND put the newer 'B' file onto a USB drive also with the older 'A' file, my player would see the files and ask if I wanted to flash the unit.

I wish LG would would post more info about the firmware versions (dates? what's new?). When I tried to do this update the screen said I had (the white text.. which is my current version right?)
Driver: H61460
S/W Version: BD.8.16.059.A

And in blue (which is the version on the USB drive right?) it said BD.8.16.059

So is the 'A' version older than the non 'A' version? Anybody know what this does? My player is working ok... so I wonder if I should upgrade or not.

thanks,
Peter

Having problems playing Avatar Blu-Ray release with this BD270. Called LG and they checked my rev. Apperently not the latest and said they will mail me the update. I asked if I could download via the web and he said no. So apperently there is a newer update not being made available online.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › LG BD270 owners thread.