or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Spaceman Theater build - Page 9

post #241 of 1224
If you are using an AT screen, no I would not use the grilles. Anything placed in front of the drivers will decrease your SPL by up to 3 dB. Add a AT screen, now you are up to 6 dB down.
post #242 of 1224
Everything is looking great...it's hard not to get excited when you can start installing speakers! Keep up the good work.
post #243 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post

If you are using an AT screen, no I would not use the grilles. Anything placed in front of the drivers will decrease your SPL by up to 3 dB. Add a AT screen, now you are up to 6 dB down.

Thanks Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brausch View Post

Everything is looking great...it's hard not to get excited when you can start installing speakers! Keep up the good work.

Thanks. It is exciting and keeps me motivated.
post #244 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Where does false wall construction usually fall relative to carpet install? Can I go ahead and start installing my "goal posts" and other framing prior to carpet install and simply have them stop the carpet at the base of that structure or should I have the entire stage carpeted and build the false wall over the carpet?
post #245 of 1224
You can do either, but I usually like the goal posts anchored to the stage. To save money you can have them stop the carpet at a line drawn on the stage at the back edge of the false wall. Then throw scraps or remnants in the left over space. Or have your carpet guys do it.
post #246 of 1224
Thread Starter 
I'm thinking ahead to carpet and will be looking at patterned carpets, including this one used by Airbenji.



My stage has an even more pronounced curve and I'm a little uncertain how to address it with a patterned carpet. My guess is they won't be able to match the pattern along the curve to the pattern on the floor, which is probably why Airbenji transitioned to a plain black stage. Or is it simply to create a "black hole" in the front of the room? I like the look of the plain black stage. I'm just having a hard time picturing it on my stage, which is a little taller than Airbenji's due to the extra level. Seems like it might be too much black.

Can someone from the patterned carpet crowd weigh in, or perhaps a Certified Carpet Counselor?
post #247 of 1224
There are other examples up in the sticky show me your carpet thread, I just grabbed this one

post #248 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Very good. I forgot there was a section on carpets in that sticky. The example you selected is another on my list, and might work even better on a curve than the example I used.

No need to summons the Carpet Counselor.
post #249 of 1224
I'm a bit of an OCD freak when it comes to patterned carpets and the pattern matching up. I think the installers who did that red carpet Big linked to, did a fantastic job. They were either old time experts that took pride in their work, or (more likely) the owner of that theater room rode herd on those guys and watched every move they made when doing that install.
post #250 of 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post



My stage has an even more pronounced curve and I'm a little uncertain how to address it with a patterned carpet. My guess is they won't be able to match the pattern along the curve to the pattern on the floor, which is probably why Airbenji transitioned to a plain black stage. Or is it simply to create a "black hole" in the front of the room? I like the look of the plain black stage. I'm just having a hard time picturing it on my stage, which is a little taller than Airbenji's due to the extra level. Seems like it might be too much black.

Can someone from the patterned carpet crowd weigh in, or perhaps a Certified Carpet Counselor?

I worried quite a bit about the pattern matching up. My carpet ended up being dark enough that it did not matter. On the upright portions of the risers and stage the overhang casts a shadow that hides the pattern on those areas. I can't see the pattern on those parts even with full lighting in the room.

post #251 of 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

I worried quite a bit about the pattern matching up. My carpet ended up being dark enough that it did not matter. On the upright portions of the risers and stage the overhang casts a shadow that hides the pattern on those areas. I can't see the pattern on those parts even with full lighting in the room.


What's the make/model of that carpet?
post #252 of 1224
Thread Starter 


I did my best Fred Sanford impersonation after giving my credit card a workout this morning. In the next week or two, the man (or woman) in the brown truck will be heading my way with the following:

Denon 4311CI receiver


JVC RS45 pj with Chief mount




(4) Triad bronze surrounds. Even though my Atlantic Technology LCRs have a closed back (actually sealed), their matching surrounds have an open back, so I decided to go with the closed Triads.


I'll most likely order the screen & frame from Jamestown today, but after all that earlier action, I think I need to take a breather and have some lunch.
post #253 of 1224
I like your equipment selection. I've got that Denon model and a similar JVC PJ, the X70 (RS-55).
post #254 of 1224
I like your equipment selection. I've got that Denon model and that JVC projector and that same cheif mount I also have a Jamestown screen
post #255 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam View Post

I like your equipment selection. I've got that Denon model and a similar JVC PJ, the X70 (RS-55).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brausch View Post

I like your equipment selection. I've got that Denon model and that JVC projector and that same cheif mount I also have a Jamestown screen

Sounds like we all enjoy getting the most bang for our buck.
post #256 of 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post



I did my best Fred Sanford impersonation after giving my credit card a workout this morning. In the next week or two, the man (or woman) in the brown truck will be heading my way with the following:

Denon 4311CI receiver


JVC RS45 pj with Chief mount




(4) Triad bronze surrounds. Even though my Atlantic Technology LCRs have a closed back (actually sealed), their matching surrounds have an open back, so I decided to go with the closed Triads.


I'll most likely order the screen & frame from Jamestown today, but after all that earlier action, I think I need to take a breather and have some lunch.

Nice equipment selection, I have the same AVR (actually a 3808), same projector and mount
post #257 of 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs691919 View Post

What's the make/model of that carpet?

The carpet is Shaw Style 1G008. The Color is frazier fur. My dealer called the style Light of Laughter, but I think the name changes depending on the dealer.
post #258 of 1224
The carpet BIG linked to above is from Mark Labelle's theater. It is the same brand and family of carpet I used - I think it is Stanton Royal Oak and the color is called berry wine. It's a really nice carpet and I almost chose that one in black.

Regarding the stage, I was on the fence between sticking with the same carpet or going to black carpet for that small section. I ended up using black because many of the Dennis E. builds I have seen do it that way (particularly bonedoc2be's KC Cinema - awesome stage in that HT). If I had it to do over again, I would do it the same way. I was never overly excited about the stage, but now with the contrasting carpet it seems to stand out a little more and say "I'm not just the floor."

Oh and I think you will love those Triad speakers. I have the OnWall surrounds and they're really impressive.
post #259 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post

The carpet BIG linked to above is from Mark Labelle's theater. It is the same brand and family of carpet I used - I think it is Stanton Royal Oak and the color is called berry wine.

No luck finding a Royal Oak style on the Stanton site. I think it might be their Hickory style, which also happens to be on my short list.

In my online searches, I've liked more patterns on the Stanton site. I found a few on Shaw's site and nothing on Mohawk's. Are there any other major manufacturers I'm missing? I'd like to hit the carpet stores with a list in hand.
post #260 of 1224
I've recently been bitten by the HT bug and plan to get started on an unfinished room in my basement as soon as I can come up with a plan!

Your detailed post have been an AWESOME help! There is so much to learn but your progress is truly inspiring!
post #261 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterGA View Post

I've recently been bitten by the HT bug and plan to get started on an unfinished room in my basement as soon as I can come up with a plan!

Your detailed post have been an AWESOME help! There is so much to learn but your progress is truly inspiring!

Thanks Otter. I imagine you will learn a lot more in some of the other threads, but I'm glad you stopped by and learned a tip or two. If you are hung up on the planning, you might try the AVS design service. For a very modest investment, Dennis will set you on the right track in a hurry. Or if you're like me, you could read, read, read and fine tune your own plan over the course of 12-18 months (and still walk away feeling like you don't know what you are doing).

You could also post some pics of your space along with a list of your goals and let the friendly folks here point you in the right direction. Look forward to seeing your space.
post #262 of 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Thanks Otter. I imagine you will learn a lot more in some of the other threads, but I'm glad you stopped by and learned a tip or two. If you are hung up on the planning, you might try the AVS design service. For a very modest investment, Dennis will set you on the right track in a hurry. Or if you're like me, you could read, read, read and fine tune your own plan over the course of 12-18 months (and still walk away feeling like you don't know what you are doing).

You could also post some pics of your space along with a list of your goals and let the friendly folks here point you in the right direction. Look forward to seeing your space.

Thanks for the quick reply. This is a wonderful community!

Before I enlist the services of a pro, I think I'll take a stab at the design myself. I also noticed that Jautor recommended using Dennis. I searched the forum, but I wasn't able to find the AVS Design Service. Is there a post or listing that talks about his AVS special offer?

The room is kind of a wacky size and shape (21' x 12'), not small but not nearly as big as I would like. My wife has begun cleaning the room today. I'll start a new thread (as I don't want to dilute your thread) tonight. I'll put up the models i've made so far. I would love any tips and design advice! Especially since it looks like your hobby work is more sophisticated than folks I know who build and renovate for a living
post #263 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterGA View Post

I searched the forum, but I wasn't able to find the AVS Design Service. Is there a post or listing that talks about his AVS special offer?

I think it used to be a sticky, but I don't see it anymore. I found a link here
http://shop.avscience.com/Design-Services_c_27.html
post #264 of 1224
Your big brown delivery includes two things I personally own, 4311CI and the Chief Mount. Just a word on the Chief and the JVC. There is a custom plate to attach the Chief to the JVC 45 projector. Just hung one at the Black Cat. You remove the adjustable legs and it screws right to the exposed holes, I hope you ordered that piece. A really solid system. If you level the base of the mount before you hang the projector you will be really close to the final position.
post #265 of 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

If you level the base of the mount before you hang the projector you will be really close to the final position.

This is interesting, because I have the same mount and projector (and receiver), and my projector is far from level. Knowing me, I probably have some settings incorrect.
post #266 of 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Yes, an AT screen on a false wall. I'm currently updating my plans to reflect a 115" wide 2.35:1 with all 3 speakers behind instead of a 100" 16:9 with only the center behind. Looks like it should work just fine. Everything is REALLY tight however, so I need to sketch it all out ahead of time to make sure all the pieces come together correctly without any conflicts.

The space behind the false wall is very narrow (only about 9" from the face of the acoustic treatments on the front wall to the the back of screen). My speakers are closed-box in-walls, although they will be installed more like on-walls so they sit proud of the 2" treatments I have on the front wall. I'm working on the mounting detail right now.

Spaceman-

Great work! I have a question for you. How did you determine the width of your stage to accomadate speakers behind an AT screen. I know you were limited by space in the room and had to make it tight. But is there a general rule of thumb concerning minimum distance between the speaker front and the screen or the back of the speaker and the back wall. Thanks.
post #267 of 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by brausch View Post

This is interesting, because I have the same mount and projector (and receiver), and my projector is far from level. Knowing me, I probably have some settings incorrect.

If you tip the projector up or down you will get a trapezoidal image. Level it and use the vertical lens shift to hit the screen.
post #268 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Your big brown delivery includes two things I personally own, 4311CI and the Chief Mount. Just a word on the Chief and the JVC. There is a custom plate to attach the Chief to the JVC 45 projector. Just hung one at the Black Cat. You remove the adjustable legs and it screws right to the exposed holes, I hope you ordered that piece. A really solid system. If you level the base of the mount before you hang the projector you will be really close to the final position.

Good tip. I will try that, although I don't plan on mounting it anytime soon. Lots of other stuff to do first.

Thanks for bringing the custom plate to my attention. I remember talking about it with Mike Garrett when I placed my order, but after just checking the receipt, I didn't see it listed. Mike just confirmed the mount comes with the custom plate designed to fit the RS45. So, according to my invoice, I should get the following:
-Chief RPA281 mount (along with the custom interface plate for JVC RS45)
-Chief CMA-101 5" designer ceiling plate
-Chief CMS-003 3" fixed extension column

I'm including Mike's description of the whole assembly for those that aren't familiar with it.

The RPA281 is an RPA mount with custom (281) plate that is designed to fit the RS45. You attach ceiling plate, screw extension tube into plate, screw mount onto other end of extension tube. The plate you attach to the projector and it has quick connect thumb screws to attach the plate to the mount. With this system you lock down the mount in the correct position using the set screws and yet you can remove the projector for servicing (filter/lamp or cleaning) then just pop it back into place and the projector is lined up with the screen just like you had it before.
post #269 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fax6202 View Post

Spaceman-

Great work! I have a question for you. How did you determine the width of your stage to accomadate speakers behind an AT screen. I know you were limited by space in the room and had to make it tight. But is there a general rule of thumb concerning minimum distance between the speaker front and the screen or the back of the speaker and the back wall. Thanks.

I gave myself 6" between back of screen and face of speakers. I've seen others going even closer. I think clearance from the sub is more critical, but mine is in the back of the room so I'm not worried about that.
post #270 of 1224
put the custom plate on the ceiling mount with the thumb screws and use a good level to get it dead level both ways, Tighten the 12 adjustment screws on the Chief mount. remove the plate and attach to the projector. Bring the projector up and secure with the thumb screws. Other wise reaching around the projector to tighten the 12 screws requires some balance as to not lean on the projector and throw it off level.

Even after this if it is not hitting the screen just right you may still need to loosen 6 screws On the front and back and adjust the roll, the pitch should be pretty good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home