or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Spaceman Theater build - Page 26

post #751 of 1224
Who's theater is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

The original plan for behind my false wall was corner bass traps with 2" of OC703 from floor to ceiling, similar to this.





I was then going to cover everything with a cheap black fabric.

post #752 of 1224
Thread Starter 
I can't remember where I found those. I was quite impressed by the clean installation. If I find the build, I'll let you know.
post #753 of 1224
Spaceman, curious why you're thinking OC703 on the front wall vs. Linacoustic? I'm not sure which would be preferable myself so looking for thoughts. Thx.
post #754 of 1224
I would be very interested in that info as well
post #755 of 1224
Thread Starter 
The inspiration pic for the front wall is from way back in my thread, when I was first planning my acoustic treatments. I wound up going in a different direction and ultimately used Linacoustic on the front wall. I also used Knauf insulation boards instead of OC703 for the corner traps. Because they are naturally dark in color, I didn't have to mess with the black fabric that was used in the 2nd inspiration pic.
post #756 of 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

The inspiration pic for the front wall is from way back in my thread, when I was first planning my acoustic treatments. I wound up going in a different direction and ultimately used Linacoustic on the front wall. I also used Knauf insulation boards instead of OC703 for the corner traps. Because they are naturally dark in color, I didn't have to mess with the black fabric that was used in the 2nd inspiration pic.

But I am going to use OC703 and must find that build thread! haha smile.gif
post #757 of 1224
I can't remember who's theater that is off the top of my head, but Moggie did something similar to his baffle wall. Link
post #758 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Ok, I found it. That screen wall is from the Extreme Makeover-Home Theater Edition build.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/783311/extreme-makeover-home-theater-edition-construction-thread/240#post_13222471

While going through my subscribed threads, I also came across these builds that used OC703 on the front wall.
-Flying Pig Cinema
-JeffCs Theater Construction Begins
-Ambrosio's Unaplex II
-Majestic Home Theater
post #759 of 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Ok, I found it. That screen wall is from the Extreme Makeover-Home Theater Edition build.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/783311/extreme-makeover-home-theater-edition-construction-thread/240#post_13222471
While going through my subscribed threads, I also came across these builds that used OC703 on the front wall.
-Flying Pig Cinema
-JeffCs Theater Construction Begins
-Ambrosio's Unaplex II
-Majestic Home Theater

You are a good man Space, don't care what anyone says! tongue.gif

Now for your next project while sitting around and doing nothing, in first post make a clickable table of contents to main parts of your build! Haha I'm so demanding. Brad Horstkotte just did it to his pimp my garage thread, mighty useful for long threads with a ton on pages and posts.
post #760 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

You are a good man Space, don't care what anyone says! tongue.gif
wink.gif

Quote:
Now for your next project while sitting around and doing nothing, in first post make a clickable table of contents to main parts of your build! Haha I'm so demanding. Brad Horstkotte just did it to his pimp my garage thread, mighty useful for long threads with a ton on pages and posts.

I plan on doing that once the build is done, hopefully in the next month or two. Have to stay focused on the task at hand. smile.gif
post #761 of 1224
What program are you using for your renders?
post #762 of 1224
Thread Starter 
AutoCAD.
post #763 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Happy Thanksgiving to all you jive turkeys.
peeweethanksgiving.jpg
post #764 of 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Happy Thanksgiving to all you jive turkeys.
peeweethanksgiving.jpg

Nice!!
post #765 of 1224
Don't let him on your stage.....we don't want a repeat.
post #766 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Just an FYI for those thinking of using Insteon in their theaters...Smarthome has a 20% off Black Friday sale (actually good thru 11/26). Use coupon code E4CM588. This would have saved me a good chunk of change had I not ordered my stuff last month.
post #767 of 1224
Just ordered hopefully the last of my Insteon products. The stuff was on sale and 20% off. Can't beat that. biggrin.gif
post #768 of 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Just an FYI for those thinking of using Insteon in their theaters...Smarthome has a 20% off Black Friday sale (actually good thru 11/26). Use coupon code E4CM588. This would have saved me a good chunk of change had I not ordered my stuff last month.

Ya it is way to easy to clic a few times and boom you have ordered something, so convenient that we forget to wait for sales or deals, but if you want to proceed and get a theater done sometimes you have no other options.

My latest "darn it moment", ordered Darbee Darblet last week and it came on sale today, eff!
post #769 of 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

Ya it is way to easy to clic a few times and boom you have ordered something, so convenient that we forget to wait for sales or deals, but if you want to proceed and get a theater done sometimes you have no other options.
My latest "darn it moment", ordered Darbee Darblet last week and it came on sale today, eff!

True. I was specifically waiting to see if they would have a good Black Friday or cyber Monday sale. Had the luxury to wait because everything is behind schedule. rolleyes.gif
post #770 of 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

Ya it is way to easy to clic a few times and boom you have ordered something, so convenient that we forget to wait for sales or deals, but if you want to proceed and get a theater done sometimes you have no other options.
My latest "darn it moment", ordered Darbee Darblet last week and it came on sale today, eff!
call them they might match the price vise you returning it LOL
post #771 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Found another deal on Amazon that might interest those planning large fabric areas in their builds. The Porter Cable US58 upholstery stapler will be a lightning deal at 12pm EST today. Most likely a 15-20% savings over the regular $89 price. Happy stapling!!
post #772 of 1224
Thanks! I was looking for one of those
post #773 of 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by fax6202 View Post

Thanks! I was looking for one of those

I just grabbed one $71.06

Tim
post #774 of 1224
If you'll excuse the "ad", if any of you guys need any GOM fabric to go with your new stapler, I'm an OEM GOM dealer, will not be beat on price to AVS customers. Email me for details scott@techht.com.
post #775 of 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

I just grabbed one $71.06
Tim
+1. Thanks for the tip, Spaceman.
post #776 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Put a deposit down on carpet this morning.

-Masland Quadrate - Times Square: main floor, riser and equipment closet.
-Masland Signet - Black: stage

They are also reinstalling a 30 SF section of the original carpet in the reconfigured media closet. Should be installed in about 2 weeks. Wound up going $400 over what I originally allocated for carpet, but I'm pretty happy with the selections.

I've got some baseboard work to do in the media closet and will most likely have to throw down a temporary threshold before the carpet guys arrive. I don't think I'll have the final threshold fabricated in time. I've been having the hardest time finding a place that will take such a small order. Apparently, this is the busy season for counter fabricators/installers. I think I've finally found a place, but that was after 3 or 4 other places told me they just didn't have the time. I'm waiting for an estimate for a piece of granite cut from 7" backsplash stock. Detail below:
DoorThreshold.jpg
post #777 of 1224
I'm going to have to find a couple of door thresholds as well. I like your diagram. How thick is your carpet/pad combo? I assume the chamfer is to put the leading edge below the top of carpet to help with tripping and stubbed toes?
post #778 of 1224
Why not go with a Zero International Model 564 threshhold instead of the granite? You will actually get a higher STC performance from your theater door. Here is a link: http://www.zerointernational.com/pdfmaker/pdfviewer.asp?referrer=search&page=0&part=564&instr=1&instrfile=27.pdf

Are you also planning on using the Model 367 automatic drop-down door seal? It is made to work perfectly with the threshhold, fyi. Here is a link to that: http://www.zerointernational.com/pdfmaker/pdfviewer.asp?referrer=&page=&part=367&instr=1&instrfile=27.pdf
post #779 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Carpet is 5/16" and pad is 3/8", so about 11/16" total. The middle of the threshold will sit just proud of the carpet at 13/16" but the leading edge should sit just below. The 1/2" edge below the chamfer is based on the 5/16" carpet sitting on a 1/4" thick tack strip. This should put the surface of the carpet 1/16" above the leading edge, or essentially flush. Does that sound about right?
post #780 of 1224
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Why not go with a Zero International Model 564 threshhold instead of the granite? You will actually get a higher STC performance from your theater door. Here is a link: http://www.zerointernational.com/pdfmaker/pdfviewer.asp?referrer=search&page=0&part=564&instr=1&instrfile=27.pdf
Are you also planning on using the Model 367 automatic drop-down door seal? It is made to work perfectly with the threshhold, fyi. Here is a link to that: http://www.zerointernational.com/pdfmaker/pdfviewer.asp?referrer=&page=&part=367&instr=1&instrfile=27.pdf

Thanks for the links, TMcG. I'm trying to avoid going with an aluminum threshold as I really don't like the look, even the ones with the optional finishes. I also need a custom width to match what I'm doing with the jamb/stop. Since I haven't used any soundproofing measures in my build, a drop down seal probably wouldn't help me much. This "aquarium" will definitely not hold water.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home