or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › LG CF181D, New SXRD-projector from LG
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG CF181D, New SXRD-projector from LG - Page 6

post #151 of 1266
Espresso........ what size is your room?

I am in a 20 x 23 room with a 135" and am going to a 150"... only because my front pedestal which hides the subs is too tall to allow for a 165" :-).
post #152 of 1266
dblespresso,

I know the reviews of this LG projector comment on how bright this thing is...and they mention that it may even be "too bright" for some, but I think they are just trying to emphasize the fact that it is leaps & bounds brighter than any other projector in its range (only the BenQ W6000 is said to actually be brighter, but that comes with color issues).

I am throwing onto a 16x9 124" white screen (I painted with a special mix from the DIY Screen forum here). I have the LG set to Low Lamp, and the picture is plenty bright, but I wouldn't for a second say it is "too bright". To be honest, the lumens are just about perfect. I have control of my lighting. Most of my night time watching is in a dark room. Sometimes, for TV viewing we have a 40-watt light on in the back corner.

After having this projector for a month & a half now, I can say I am extremely pleased with it. The only "issue" I have is that the 120 Hz "Trumotion" can be erratic at times. Other times it's fine. The Epson would give you more stability with the 120 Hz if that is important to you.

The only other things I would say are "cons" about this projector would be:
1) No horizontal lens shift
2) Manual focus and zoom
3) No way to align pixels (convergence)...NOT that I need this, but the option would be nice if someone did. Plus most LCD/LCOS projectors don't have this ability.
4) Controls (non-remote) are in the back of the unit.

-Kevro
post #153 of 1266
http://www.aaxatech.com/products/af115.htm

this seems to be the same unit few hundred dollar cheaper!
post #154 of 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by civilizedcitizen View Post

http://www.aaxatech.com/products/af115.htm

this seems to be the same unit few hundred dollar cheaper!

that is an older model

see post 26

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post17713086
post #155 of 1266
for a living room this might be the best projector to buy because it has a manual iris so you can adjust the output from 1300 to 450 lumens The killer for me is no anamorphic support. I just hate those black bars
post #156 of 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlang46 View Post

I just hate those black bars


Many people it seems feel that way......... don't understand it myself... but that's okay too.

I just want the biggest best looking image I can get.
post #157 of 1266
Has anyone tested gaming lag on this bad boy??

What would be better for gaming, this or a Epson 8500??
post #158 of 1266
I would think it would have lesser gaming lag than the Epson due to its use of D-ILA technology. I believe that's quicker than LCDs in terms of response time.
post #159 of 1266
This projector has really got my interest, but I'm having an awfully difficult time finding any contrast measurements in any reviews or anecdotes.

I'm particularly interested in the unit's ANSI contrast and "native contrast" (ie, iris off). Does anyone know about these?
post #160 of 1266
Contrast is supposedly 35,000:1, not sure what all that entails though. I have no doubts it offers a great picture, but I am having a hard time going for this unit at $2,500 versus the Epson 8500UB, when I was already planning on paying the $200 premium over the Panasonic AE4000U.

At $2,300 I would buy it for sure, but not at $2,500.
post #161 of 1266
I received mine about a week ago. It is my first projector and I stressed on which PJ to buy(Epson 8500 or LG181d). I checked out the Epson at a local dealer and thought it was very nice but decided on the LG for the lumens. So far it looks like it was a great decision. I don't have a screen yet, its just projecting on the wall but man is it bright. I think the screen size is in the 120 inch range and looks very nice and BIG! It can go bigger but that makes it really too close for the first row of seating but it is definitely bright enough. Now I need a screen!
post #162 of 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg65 View Post

I received mine about a week ago. It is my first projector and I stressed on which PJ to buy(Epson 8500 or LG181d). I checked out the Epson at a local dealer and thought it was very nice but decided on the LG for the lumens. So far it looks like it was a great decision. I don't have a screen yet, its just projecting on the wall but man is it bright. I think the screen size is in the 120 inch range and looks very nice and BIG! It can go bigger but that makes it really too close for the first row of seating but it is definitely bright enough. Now I need a screen!

I would look for a gray screen or a white matte 1.0 gain.
post #163 of 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdaniel View Post

I would think it would have lesser gaming lag than the Epson due to its use of D-ILA technology. I believe that's quicker than LCDs in terms of response time.

I hope someone test it soon!
post #164 of 1266
Ok, so this is the projector I want. Price, technology, and brightness. Perfect combo for me. I demoed the Epson 8500 UB, and while nice, just doesn't seem as refined as SXRD tech. Plus all the QC problems I keep reading about. I don't want the hassle. I have demoed the Sony VPL-HW15, and thought the image was gorgeous, but it is to dim compared to the Epson. So as I said, this LG is best of both worlds.

But as I have stated earlier in this thread, LG does not sell this in Canada. So frustrating.

I have emailed LG and got no info why, or if they are going to change this policy. When I phone LG Canada corporate headquarters, instead of putting me intouch with a product manager, they click me over to customer service, who are useless, and have no info whatsoever.

So I am thinking about purchasing from a vendor in the US. What does that mean for the warranty? PP said they would ship no problem, but if I have a problem, does anyone know if US warranties are honored if items are purchased by a Canuck?

This is just so frustrating to me.
post #165 of 1266
I've been playing xbox 360 games on my LG181D and I have not noticed any lag. I was worried about it before I purchased it since this is my first projector but I haven't noticed any at all. I usually play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and Forza.
post #166 of 1266
Hi, Anyone using CF181D with ceiling mount could you please let me know what type of mounting you're using and whether it will get in the way of lamp replacement? I'm a little concered because projectorcentral review mentioned the location of the lamp may need demounting of the projector to get access of the lamp.

I'm pretty much decided this is the projector I want to get to replace my 6yr old Sanyo PLV70. Looks like I will enjoy the much improved IQ from this new projector.
post #167 of 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdaniel View Post

Contrast is supposedly 35,000:1, not sure what all that entails though. I have no doubts it offers a great picture, but I am having a hard time going for this unit at $2,500 versus the Epson 8500UB, when I was already planning on paying the $200 premium over the Panasonic AE4000U.

At $2,300 I would buy it for sure, but not at $2,500.

I ordered one today from PP for just under your target prices. PM me if you want details, but call them - don't order over the web. I will be interested to see how this pj compares to the rs-10 I had last month when it get here.
post #168 of 1266
Was strongly considering the Epson 8500ub due to great contrast and black level at a relatively low cost (compared to the JVC RS series) but after reading the forums for the Epson it appears there are many QC issues that keep surfacing. So what to do? The JVC RS series would be ideal but would blow my budget for other needed components.

Would love to read from owners of this LG projector: any quality control issues? IE: convergence is fine? How are the black levels compared to other projectors you've owned/demoed? The only possible negative to this projector seems to be black levels but maybe not that bad for most movies?

Thankyou!
post #169 of 1266
I am expecting the LG on monday and will post my initial impressions as soon as possible. I was fortunate enough to sell my ae900u on last thursday but that leaves me without a projector for the first time in about 7 years (sony D50 was the first pj I owned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowl View Post

Was strongly considering the Epson 8500ub due to great contrast and black level at a relatively low cost (compared to the JVC RS series) but after reading the forums for the Epson it appears there are many QC issues that keep surfacing. So what to do? The JVC RS series would be ideal but would blow my budget for other needed components.

Would love to read from owners of this LG projector: any quality control issues? IE: convergence is fine? How are the black levels compared to other projectors you've owned/demoed? The only possible negative to this projector seems to be black levels but maybe not that bad for most movies?

Thankyou!
post #170 of 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkpro View Post

Hi, Anyone using CF181D with ceiling mount could you please let me know what type of mounting you're using and whether it will get in the way of lamp replacement? I'm a little concered because projectorcentral review mentioned the location of the lamp may need demounting of the projector to get access of the lamp.

I'm pretty much decided this is the projector I want to get to replace my 6yr old Sanyo PLV70. Looks like I will enjoy the much improved IQ from this new projector.

I am using my LG with ceiling mount as follows :
Chief equipment : KIT PS003 + ceiling mount plate.
Provider : www.chiefmfg.com
The access to the lamp is free , no difficulties to remove the bulb.
post #171 of 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by arayle View Post

I am using my LG with ceiling mount as follows :
Chief equipment : KIT PS003 + ceiling mount plate.
Provider :
The access to the lamp is free , no difficulties to remove the bulb.

Thanks a lot! That's great help.
post #172 of 1266
it amazes me that nobody post any screen shots of this projector
post #173 of 1266
There is a video on this projector on you tube. Here is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcvqTzewNvc
post #174 of 1266
The LG arrived today. It fits perfectly on the shelf mount I made for the RS10. I am looking forward to the next few hours.
post #175 of 1266
how would this pj compare to the Sony Pearl (aka vw50) for black levels/contrast and 3D effect? I know the brightness will tromp the sony, but just wondered if anyone has gone from a pearl to this new LG PJ.....
post #176 of 1266
The YouTube video is really nice. Think they briefly mentioned the image being comparable to the VW60 but with more luminosity. After watching the 9minute review this projector is looking very promising. Eager to read what David Crowe thinks of it. For him, having an RS10, it would seem most other projectors would be a step down so if he says the image is great then I'll probably go with this LG. :-)
post #177 of 1266
davidcrowe,

looking forward to what your initial impressions are of your new CF181D!! I've had mine for almost 2 months and am still lovin' it!!

I just got the Spears & Munsil calibration Blu-ray...NICE!

-Kevro
post #178 of 1266
I think Art over at projectorreviews hit this one spot on. The setup was very simple. Dial on the top to center the picture, a touch of zoom from the bottom dial and then a twist for focus. 5 minutes tops from unpacking to watching the opening for Star Trek (new movie).

I have not had time to set up Art's setting for the two expert modes but I am very happy with the LG out of the box. I've only had a short time to watch so far, but the pj seems to be a match for the RS10 everywhere except for ultimate black levels on dark scenes. The best news is that the pj has better alignment, is brighter and just as quiet in low lamp mode, which will I think make it a keeper.

Thats it until I have more time watching.

Dave
post #179 of 1266
SCREEN SHOTS PEOPLE!!!!!!! Saw the video on YouTube...pretty cool, but I could have done a better job with my 8K$ video camera
post #180 of 1266
How would this unit compare with the Pioneer Pro-FPJ1?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › LG CF181D, New SXRD-projector from LG