or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › *Official* Epson Home Cinema 8100 owners thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Epson Home Cinema 8100 owners thread! - Page 64

post #1891 of 1935
Hi guys, bought epson 8100 (3200 in Europe) and I hate its mis-convergence. Movies are fine, but if you want to show text/subtitles, you are doomed. Even from the viewing distance its bad.
Check my unit:
epson1i.th.jpg
epson2u.th.jpg
epson3a.th.jpg
epson4.th.jpg
epson5.th.jpg

Do you think I can send it back for a replacement, or is this within their 1 px mis-aligement policy?
post #1892 of 1935
Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzz View Post

Hi guys, bought epson 8100 (3200 in Europe) and I hate its mis-convergence. Movies are fine, but if you want to show text/subtitles, you are doomed. Even from the viewing distance its bad.
Check my unit:
epson1i.th.jpg
epson2u.th.jpg
epson3a.th.jpg
epson4.th.jpg
epson5.th.jpg
Do you think I can send it back for a replacement, or is this within their 1 px mis-aligement policy?

Doomed? Lol, I will trade you that quality text compared to what my LED projector displays.
post #1893 of 1935
Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzz View Post

Hi guys, bought epson 8100 (3200 in Europe) and I hate its mis-convergence. Movies are fine, but if you want to show text/subtitles, you are doomed. Even from the viewing distance its bad.
Check my unit:
epson1i.th.jpg
epson2u.th.jpg
epson3a.th.jpg
epson4.th.jpg
epson5.th.jpg
Do you think I can send it back for a replacement, or is this within their 1 px mis-aligement policy?

That's a lot, Especially in the center crosshair. A bit out on the edges is acceptable.
I'd try for a replacement.
post #1894 of 1935
I purchased my Epson 8100 Nov. 2009. I have a total of 760 hours on it. I use it mainly for movies which are 90% letterboxed. A few weeks ago I noticed a magenta (redish) line across the top of the picture on a full screened movie. I called CS yesterday. They were "sorry" but because it was past the 2 year mark there was nothing they could do. I still don't believe a projector that has only 760 hours should have this problem unless it is an initial defect in the materials used. Luckily, this line is not noticed when watching letterboxed type movies. I wonder how many other owners have had this problem.
post #1895 of 1935
At least me and one other guy does. And it both our cases it happened RIGHT after the warranty ran out as well. Mine has considerably more hours on it though.
post #1896 of 1935
Is anyone projecting the 8100 onto a screen larger than 120"?

does it have enough lumens for screens larger than that, without torching it in Dynamic mode?
post #1897 of 1935
I am projecting on a 147in screen on Eco lamp mode, and it looks great. It is a hi power screen though(which I can't recommend highly enough). .
post #1898 of 1935
I had my third lamp explode on Sunday. This time I am out of warranty, but when I spoke to CS on Tuesday (computers were down when I called Monday) they didn't give me a hard time and they sent a new bulb. They said it could take a week to arrive, but I received it today, Thursday. Nice.

My polarizer problem has seemingly plateaued, knock on wood. Is there any chance my polarizer issue could have been caused by the lamps blowing up? It seems there is a glass(?) residue around the lamp when they blow, it doesn't seem like a healthy situation. The CSR didn't rule it out, but said it was unlikely.
post #1899 of 1935
Had a bulb blow out two weeks ago, again at around 850 hours.

The PJ is ceiling mounted, with plenty of ventilation, I clean the filter once per month, run it in Eco mode and do my damnedest not to short cycle it. This would be my 6th bulb, 3rd projector, out of warranty since July.

I was very hesitant to buy a new bulb, because I don't want to drop $200 on this every 6 months. Was contemplating replacing it with a 60-65" LCD.

I read kasheyev's post above and figured of give Epson a shot. Called Saturday, explained my situation. They didn't hassle me and shipped me a new bulb, which arrived just a little while ago. He also have me the whole thing about a bad manufacturing line, etc, etc, but this is the third one I've gotten where they've done that.

I'm pretty happy with Epson's customer service, they went above an beyond what I think a lot of companies would have. On the other hand, the experience has left kind of a bad taste in my mouth. If this one dies before 1000h, then I'll likely scrap the project until I can find a more reliable brand and replace it with an LCD.
post #1900 of 1935
Do people run the 8100 with Iris ON?

Does having Iris ON improve brightness (more lumens)? I know it supposed to help with blacks, but not sure it also increase brightness.
post #1901 of 1935
Hey, my epson home cinema 8100 went down after a poweroutage
Now all he does is show a white screen, i can't seem to get any sort of menu on him

I was wondering if it were possible to do a hard factory reset of the machine?
post #1902 of 1935
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalwex View Post

I purchased my Epson 8100 Nov. 2009. I have a total of 760 hours on it. I use it mainly for movies which are 90% letterboxed. A few weeks ago I noticed a magenta (redish) line across the top of the picture on a full screened movie. I called CS yesterday. They were "sorry" but because it was past the 2 year mark there was nothing they could do. I still don't believe a projector that has only 760 hours should have this problem unless it is an initial defect in the materials used. Luckily, this line is not noticed when watching letterboxed type movies. I wonder how many other owners have had this problem.

Mine is doing the same thing. Happened after second bulb went out. I also have a cyan bar on the bottom, but it's less visible during most video.
post #1903 of 1935
I have been running my 8100 for the last 1 & a 1/2 years and just passed 1,980 hours this weekend (I use it for movies, gaming and sporting events mostly - especially football and hockey)...up to this point I have had no real issues with the unit until this very recently this month.

The unit was run in Eco-mode and calibrated on Theatre-mode setting for films and Living Room-mode for games and sporting events where I wanted more "pop" than deeper blacks. I am now finding the brightness to have sharply dropped in the past few weeks to the extent that I am pretty sure the bulb is going to explode any day now. Has anyone experienced this with the 8100 (a drop in lumens followed by a bulb blow out)?
Edited by moostache2 - 3/5/13 at 7:10pm
post #1904 of 1935
Yes. My bulb went within two weeks of that happening. Loud pop, scared the hell out of me.
post #1905 of 1935
Hi all,

Recently my fan has gotten noticably louder, even in ECO mode. I normal mode it's ubearably loud. Has anyone had this problem or had to replace their fan?

Thanks,

Jim
post #1906 of 1935
Hi all,

This is my first post since 04/2010. I still have my 8100. I am still using it.

The fan has become noticeable on very quiet scenes now, though, no one else but me seems to notice it. It's just a small flutter sound occasionally. I can't hear it when there are sounds or voices going on.

I have a 2 or three inch pink line on the bottom of the screen. It's Not too bad. I seem to be the only one who notices it. Or maybe no one cares, since not one person has asked about it.

It's kind of funny that it showed up during Breast Cancer Awareness month during the NFL and the first time I noticed the line at the bottom, I thought that it was there on purpose from the NFL.

The current bulb I'm on is only at 794 hours and already needs replacing. Though I have not been cleaning the filter very regularly.

Anyway, just thought I would give an update.
post #1907 of 1935
Quote:
I've had my 8100 for 28 months and have recently encountered odd coloration at the top of my picture. I've got a band across the top that starts magenta and eventually fades into a greenish gold. I was told by CS that it was an issue with the lcd. I was given the information for several repair centers and was told I could get a discount on buying a new projector. That didn't exactly fill me with confidence that a repair would be possible, or economically justifiable if I was told to consider buying a new projector.

A few pages back there was someone with a similar issue and the diagnosis was that the polarizers were shot. Does anyone have any idea what the repair cost would be? I'm four months past warranty, unfortunately, but perhaps there is wiggle room. Is there any chance this could have been caused by the two prematurely blown bulbs I've experienced?
Curious update-
I turned on my 8100 for the first time in two weeks or so tonight. The picture seemed darker than usual, but my band across the top is...gone? It was a pretty noticeable, but the strong gold color that stood out the most was no longer present. As I stared at the screen, bewildered, I noticed that there was a very slight band of lighter color.

It is pretty hot in my place and the pj's fan is kicking out a lot of hot air. I'm not such a fool optimist to think that my polarizers have decided to fix themselves and the bulb brightness seems ominous, but is there a chance at all that the magenta-to-dark-gold band is (was?) tied into bulb performance?
post #1908 of 1935
Hello,
Any recommendations on were I should buy a replacement bulb for my 8100? I'm on my second 8100, I sent my original back on warranty for a growing red spot. The replacement 8100 had its own issues but I just lived with it. Recently I noticed the brightness drop quite a lot and very quickly and then the lamp stopped working. Last I looked I had about 861 hours on my lamp. My original 8100 was purchased when the model fist released so I am way out of my warranty period but I thought I would call Epson anyway and see if I could get a replacement bulb. Nope. So now I’m on a search for a replacement bulb. Thanks for any help.
post #1909 of 1935
Bought mine from B&H Photo, arrived on Tuesday. My only advice is to resist the urge to go cheap.
post #1910 of 1935
Mine also has developed the colored bars on top and bottom, Called Epson and got the sorry your out of warranty. Even though i had the problem on my 6100 and they replaced it with an 8100 which was awesome and later gave me a free lamp. But its not been 2 years since they gave me the 8100 and if these projectors only last for around 2 years then i need to find a more reliable brand. I do use mine quite heavily.
post #1911 of 1935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrke1 View Post

Bought mine from B&H Photo, arrived on Tuesday. My only advice is to resist the urge to go cheap.

Thanks Mrke1, it is very hard to buy an OEM when the non OEM is sooo much cheaper, Thanks for the advice I not going to buy cheap. I hope it lasts longer then my current bulb.
post #1912 of 1935
This is amazing for NFL games. Dynamic actually is too bright with the lights off. mkbo
post #1913 of 1935
Hey guys, I've been away for about 7 months so my projector was left unused during that time. Today upon returning, when I tried turning it on, this is what I see:

20130804_231105_zps0aa24ec7.jpg

20130804_231153_zps5f20639e.jpg

Any suggestions on what it can be and what are my options?
I'd rather not buy a new projector but if I have to I wanna spend as little as possible since this projector will be an in between projector while waiting for 4k projectors to really hit the market. Any suggestions on what cheap projectors I can get if my project cannot be repaired for a sane amount? Thank you so much for any assistance!
post #1914 of 1935
Help...??? My buddy cave me one of these projectors...said it needed new lamp and there were spots on screen. I bought a lamp...picture was still fairly dim. Even after I adjusted settings, and I saw the spots. So I took it apart and cleaned the lenses I could get to. After putting it back together though the picture is yellow? I check my connections everything seem put back in the right place. Any ideas?

Thanks
post #1915 of 1935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak_Zombie3711 View Post

Hey guys, I've been away for about 7 months so my projector was left unused during that time. Today upon returning, when I tried turning it on, this is what I see:

20130804_231105_zps0aa24ec7.jpg

20130804_231153_zps5f20639e.jpg

Any suggestions on what it can be and what are my options?
I'd rather not buy a new projector but if I have to I wanna spend as little as possible since this projector will be an in between projector while waiting for 4k projectors to really hit the market. Any suggestions on what cheap projectors I can get if my project cannot be repaired for a sane amount? Thank you so much for any assistance!

Don't know where exactly you live, but that looks like condensation in the optical path. This MAY go away, or it will need to be cleaned off the panels and mirrors much like a fogged up window.
post #1916 of 1935
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheButcha View Post

Help...??? My buddy cave me one of these projectors...said it needed new lamp and there were spots on screen. I bought a lamp...picture was still fairly dim. Even after I adjusted settings, and I saw the spots. So I took it apart and cleaned the lenses I could get to. After putting it back together though the picture is yellow? I check my connections everything seem put back in the right place. Any ideas?

Thanks

Did you remove any of the elements to clean them? If so, you put one in backwards. Everything has an orientation in an LCD projector due to the polarized light path.
post #1917 of 1935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

Don't know where exactly you live, but that looks like condensation in the optical path. This MAY go away, or it will need to be cleaned off the panels and mirrors much like a fogged up window.

This is exactly what happened to mine about 2 weeks ago. What is the best way of fixing it?

Thanks,
-Tim
post #1918 of 1935
I know this post is old but since this thread seems to be the authority forum thread for this particular projector...


I have the exact same problem and it appears to be getting worse. Currently researching what it's going to take to fix it. I don't have any answers right now so I'll post once I have an answer. Or, ideally, perhaps my posting will refresh this thread to get some experience in here to provide some tips smile.gif
post #1919 of 1935
Most likely fixing it is beyond the scope of the average DIY. But basically, take the light engine apart, clean any fogged optics and re-assemble.
Needless to say, it's a delicate and time consuming job and gloves are a must.

Is the projector ready for the dump as shop rates are too high versus a new projector.... well, then you have little to loose by trying to clean it.
It's not actually difficult to do, but it is very detailed and VERY careful work.
post #1920 of 1935
I had the same color bands issue several people seem to have here with my 8700. Luckily for me, it was just before the 3 year date and so was within the AmEx extended warranty period (1 additional year after factory 2 yrs). Repair estimate was almost $2,000, original cost was $2,150. AmEx ended refunding the amount after I sent them the defective projector. Quite disappointed with the Epson experience.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › *Official* Epson Home Cinema 8100 owners thread!