So, I've been back in action with the build the past couple of months - though I haven't posted any updates here. I'll do my best to get caught back up within a few posts (with pics) just in case anyone is interested enough to follow along.
Since the build went dormant for quite some time, it took a bunch of cleaning to get back into the space to start building again. After a couple of late nights, I've gone through all the boxes (even ones that were never opened since we moved in). It felt so good to purge all this crap and throw most of it away. I mean, what the heck, if we haven't even opened the boxes in 3 years, I doubt we need any of it? Old iron, trash. Old employer's softball uniform, trash. Bunch of other useless crap, trash. The result was lots of empty boxes, and fewer way more organized tupperware totes.
So based on the feedback from the members of this forum I decided to pull my own wire, and do most of the electrical myself. A little reading, youtubing and researching went a long way; as did asking acquaintances that have electrical contractor backgrounds. I only ended up with 6 circuits between all the lighting and outlets, so it was pretty easy to manage as a first timer. Even put together a crude circuit/wiring diagram on a piece of rigid insulation for reference.
Also, in order to finish framing and rough electrical, I made a temporary/movable stand to equip all the tel/data equipment. I basically just made a frame and relocated the plywood that was once mounted directly to the concrete foundation wall. Now I can move this equipment and keep it all connected as I work in this area. It's already come in handy for relocating during framing, communications rough-in, and also we had to have a pressure reducing valve installed on the house water service (unrelated to this build). Turns out the pressure off the street was >160 psi, and the plumber failed to install one when the house was built. But I digress. Here's a shot of the movable stand for reference.
So rough wiring done. The only thing I've subbed out so far was the install and connection of the basement electrical sub-panel. I worked out a trade with my friend's brother for the labor, so technically I still haven't paid to sub anything out yet. Took him 2 hours to install panel, run 4(#4) cabling, install the 100 amp breaker in the main panel and terminate all the circuits in the new board...oh and relocated a receptacle that was previously on the left side of the main board. Not bad. Probably overkill, but meh.
Lost a post-in-process due to browser crash, bah. Here goes again:
So continuing to update the thread, Communications and AV rough is complete. Ran 1 1/2" pvc conduit to two potential sub locations, and also two potential laptop plug-in locations. At the advice of this forum, also ran empty 1 1/2" conduit to a future projector location. As for speaker locations: I ran 3/4" smurf tube conduit to the 5.1 loudspeaker locations. Worried this would be too small, I successfully conducted a test by pulling (2) 14-2 speaker wires through two of the runs. I had enough speaker wire to pull all the front locations. More on order to finish to the surrounds.
Next on to the data cabling: I pulled 10 drops to the finished part of the basement. It's relatively cheap, easy, and I don't think anyone would argue against the speed and dependability of wired connections. I ended up making quite a mess of the cabling during the pulling process.
thankfully I pre-labeled all runs so it be easier to identify when it comes time to punch-down and terminate the runs in the future.