or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Nintendo › Any way to integrate Wii to a switch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any way to integrate Wii to a switch?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I am thinking about buying a Wii for downstairs. However, I want to integrate it into a switch with my D* HR21 and DVD player. Either of these can run hdmi or component. I know I cant run the Wii through a swithc with the hdmi cables from the HR21 or dvd. What about component cables with the HR21 or dvd? The problem appears to be that I would also want audio to switch and the Wii does not offer digital audio through an optical cable. Any suggestions for me? I want to keep the system simple for my wife. Thanks!
post #2 of 6
So you have TV upstairs with a video switch for the D* receiver and DVD player, correct? And you are putting a Wii downstairs hooked up to a different TV? I don't think I'm following; why do you want to integrate it to the video switch upstairs?
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post

So you have TV upstairs with a video switch for the D* receiver and DVD player, correct? And you are putting a Wii downstairs hooked up to a different TV? I don't think I'm following; why do you want to integrate it to the video switch upstairs?

Sorry if I was not clear. Forget about upstairs. Don't know why I said HR21 since that is upstairs.

Downstairs I have a Panasonic th37px60u plasma with a D* HR20 and dvd. I want to add a Wii and soundbar for wife/kids and want switching between components to be easy (one location instead of at the tv and the audio source). The problem is the Wii does not support hdmi and if I go all component cables (with HR20, dvd and Wii), the Wii will not support audio switching since it does not have digital audio (toslink). Any suggestion for how I can easily run these 3 components through 1 switch?
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by qposner View Post

Sorry if I was not clear. Forget about upstairs. Don't know why I said HR21 since that is upstairs.

Downstairs I have a Panasonic th37px60u plasma with a D* HR20 and dvd. I want to add a Wii and soundbar for wife/kids and want switching between components to be easy (one location instead of at the tv and the audio source). The problem is the Wii does not support hdmi and if I go all component cables (with HR20, dvd and Wii), the Wii will not support audio switching since it does not have digital audio (toslink). Any suggestion for how I can easily run these 3 components through 1 switch?

A Harmony remote?

The Audio Authority AA1154A component switch I have (http://www.copperbox.com/Audio-Autho...ch-p/1154a.htm) switches both toslink/coax digital audio and analog audio. I'm sure there are less expensive switches that do the same, but I can't recommend one.
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post

A Harmony remote?

The Audio Authority AA1154A component switch I have (http://www.copperbox.com/Audio-Autho...ch-p/1154a.htm) switches both toslink/coax digital audio and analog audio. I'm sure there are less expensive switches that do the same, but I can't recommend one.

So I could run component video from all 3 sources, toslink audio from the dvd and HR20 and analog (red/white composite cables) audio from the Wii? It would then switch between all 3 for video and audio?
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by qposner View Post

So I could run component video from all 3 sources, toslink audio from the dvd and HR20 and analog (red/white composite cables) audio from the Wii? It would then switch between all 3 for video and audio?

I don't know how it handles the digital/analog audio issue. Say you have both a Toslink and analog audio cables from the switch to your receiver (or is it right to the TV?); if you switch to the Wii inputs, does it know to send the audio over the analogs and not the Toslink? I honestly don't know..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Nintendo
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Nintendo › Any way to integrate Wii to a switch?