or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Open Box 141FD?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Open Box 141FD? - Page 7

post #181 of 197
Don't forget about Craigslist and the bay. I've seen a few local ones on both. Good luck on your search.
post #182 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj slick View Post

Don't forget about Craigslist and the bay. I've seen a few local ones on both. Good luck on your search.

Be very careful dealing w/Craigslist & Ebay. Lots of scams. Personally, at this point I'd rule out any internet sales altogether unless you personally know the Seller, and only buy from Craigslist if you can personally go to the Seller & pickup the display & checkout hairline cracks in the glass, etc.
post #183 of 197
Don't forget to check the videogon.com and audiogon.com classified section. I see new or low milage elites posted there from time to time.
post #184 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantam11 View Post

I also found a few open box 141's at my local Best Buys and was able to negotiate a 40% off their current discounted price (assuming there was a new one in stock). The sales rep claims the unit has been on the floor but dormant for a few months... hard to believe.

thanks!

I want to give 2 BIG THUMBS UP TO BANTAM11 for alerting me of this 141FD that was available thru open-box at Best Buy. So far, i've gone thru about 20 movies browsing dark and light scenes to check out the operation of the unit. So far, the unit seems like it was barely used, no IR or burn-in what-so-ever and no buzzing noise. I think most people steered away from purchasing it due to not having internal speakers but I already have full surround so the 141 was a nice pleasant addition. This coming Friday morning, DirectTv will be installing the hi-def cable in my theater and i'm gonna enjoy it to the utmost. Hey thanks again BANTAM11 for sharing!!!!
post #185 of 197
Thread Starter 
Yeah, Bantam has been more than helpful. Congrats!
post #186 of 197
Hey, glad I could help and even happier that the 141 is working out for you. I was surprised it lasted as long as it did after giving so many heads up on it. Understanding though as few want to buy something sight unseen. I'm impressed that the BB Magnolia sales team held to their word and kept the final sales price where they did. Appears it's worth every penny and if I was doing HT, I'd have taken it myself. So congrats Prochambers... you got a super deal at the price point you paid.

Maybe consider spending an extra $78 or so with Turbe to get the Control CAL software, cabling, and support. With this combo you can activate the ISF modes and enjoy an even better picture using D-Nice generic settings for ISF-Day, ISF-Night, and ISF-Auto. GL!

Oh yeah... you can reach Turbe at turbe@ControlCAL.com
post #187 of 197
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

Be very careful dealing w/Craigslist & Ebay. Lots of scams. Personally, at this point I'd rule out any internet sales altogether unless you personally know the Seller, and only buy from Craigslist if you can personally go to the Seller & pickup the display & checkout hairline cracks in the glass, etc.

With this in mind, here's a response I got from "Standard Electronics" about their low-priced 151FD:

Quote:



Dear customer,

The product is in stock and is sealed in box(not refurbished). Also there is a standard product warranty.
We have free shipping on orders over $900.00
On orders under $900.00 the shipping cost is $11.50

The delivery time for United States via UPS is 3-5 days.
---------------------------------

Oh, awesome, sounds great, where do I sign up?
Quote:


Unfortunately for the moment we can't process orders via Credit Card and PayPal due to the credit card third party processor failure so Western Union remains our backup payment method and we apologies for this inconvenience.

Please complete the order and select Western Union as a payment method.

Then you will receive an "Order Process" in your email box with the instructions of payment.

Oh, yeah, total scam.

Sigh. The internet is such a blessing and a curse.
post #188 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahabel View Post

With this in mind, here's a response I got from "Standard Electronics" about their low-priced 151FD:



Oh, awesome, sounds great, where do I sign up?


Oh, yeah, total scam.

Sigh. The internet is such a blessing and a curse.

Call me naive but how can some people live with themselves? I've recently come across this scam when selling something myself via craigslist. The scammer assures me they will or have sent a check for an even higher amount than requested (whoot whoot red flag!) for my inconvenience. Just gotta post this one... (mind you my Eureka "Condo" tent is going for $500) Check this out:

"Hello, how was your weekend?.I just received the confirmation that the check has been issued out and was mailed out via UPS it will be delivered to your address within 2 days according to the courier, but to my greatest surprise the draft was made out for $2500 instead of the actual amount. It was an honest mistake. I would have loved to cancel the draft but once the draft has been issued the payment cannot be reversed, so pls When the check is delivered to you, take it toyour bank and have it cashed, you will deduct your money for the purchase and in addition an extra $100 for your run around expenses,the rest of the funds should be sent to my mover via western union the same day so that she can come over for the pick ASAP. I would have actually loved to give you a call immediately i was informed about this but am using hearing-impaired phone so please send me an email if i can trust you to have the excess sent to my mover. Thank you."

Again, how do some people live with themselves?
post #189 of 197
Thread Starter 
Wow, that one is quite the doosy. Yeah, it's like the wild west out there and the only protection you get is your own common sense.
post #190 of 197
Local BB has an open-box 141fd for 3500....so difficult to resist. Took a good look at the screen and it certainly looks like they've been cleaning it with something they shouldn't be
post #191 of 197
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

Local BB has an open-box 141fd for 3500....so difficult to resist. Took a good look at the screen and it certainly looks like they've been cleaning it with something they shouldn't be

The unit I eventually purchased was in the same condition. The screen looked like a murder scene. But 20 minutes with a light mist of distilled water on a clean, soft microfiber, followed by a dry one, cleared it all up. My girlfriend thought I was crazy for assuming the screen hadn't been damaged, but it really boiled down to bad training at BB. They spray the TVs, while they're hot no less. I was lucky the AR coating wasn't ruined.
post #192 of 197
I know the info exists somewhere in the myriad of 9g Pioneer threads, but I can't seem to find it again.....how do you access the service menu to determine the number of hours on the 141?
post #193 of 197
Thread Starter 
You actually don't with the 141. You can use ControlCal or access the 141 via LAN.

Look here: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301
post #194 of 197
I purchased a 600m on October 1st. Located through local home theater installers. However it had a bad case of DSE and the merchant picked it up and when he got it to the authorized repair center the unit didnt turn on. Long story short I just did a google search like this "home theater + your zip code" locate some merchants and ask if they have any units for sale. After about 6 calls to different places I located a brand new 141 and it's on its way and will be here Tuesday. They were great! Got a solid deal on the set, the guy even opened the box and checked for buzz for me.

Give it a try if all else fails!!!
post #195 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahabel View Post

You actually don't with the 141. You can use ControlCal or access the 141 via LAN.

Look here: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301

Thx for the link!
post #196 of 197
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

Thx for the link!

Here's something else I just discovered: KuroReader. It's essentially a widget that gives you centralized access to all of your monitor's LAN functions.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1175615
post #197 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prochambers View Post


I want to give 2 BIG THUMBS UP TO BANTAM11 for alerting me of this 141FD that was available thru open-box at Best Buy. So far, i've gone thru about 20 movies browsing dark and light scenes to check out the operation of the unit. So far, the unit seems like it was barely used, no IR or burn-in what-so-ever and no buzzing noise. I think most people steered away from purchasing it due to not having internal speakers but I already have full surround so the 141 was a nice pleasant addition. This coming Friday morning, DirectTv will be installing the hi-def cable in my theater and i'm gonna enjoy it to the utmost. Hey thanks again BANTAM11 for sharing!!!!

Just an update to my previous post of Feb 3 2010. Here it is Nov 15 2012 and my 141fd is still performing like a champ! Can't believe that time has moved on sooo quick. It seems like the picture has gotten better thru usage. I just love watching blu ray movies on this set and I have recently upgraded my blu ray player to the Oppo BDP-95 from the -83. Have a great day or evening!

Later!biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Open Box 141FD?