or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic 2010 Plasma Models
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic 2010 Plasma Models - Page 193

post #5761 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricot View Post

Where do you see skype? Are you using a network dongle in your TV or Blu-ray player

It's in the Vieracast menu on my TV, and I'm using a network cable hooked directly into a 50" G20.
There were a couple of software updates for this model so far via the internet and it may have been included in one of them.
post #5762 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by i360 View Post

It's in the Vieracast menu on my TV, and I'm using a network cable hooked directly into a 50" G20.
There were a couple of software updates for this model so far via the internet and it may have been included in one of them.

I've got the BDT-350 hooked up with a 1.3 hdmi cable, waiting for my 1.4. I wonder if the TV will be able to use the wireless connection of the player when I get the 1.4 cable. The player has updated, but i haven't seen the TV do any updates.
post #5763 of 5848
I hear the G20 has much better out of the box color temps and color accuracy then the previous G10, with a much improved THX mode as well.

Anyone had a meter to the G20 yet? How did it do?
post #5764 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

I hear the G20 has much better out of the box color temps and color accuracy then the previous G10, with a much improved THX mode as well.

Anyone had a meter to the G20 yet? How did it do?

I feel like I've written in this in just about every G2x thread already. I'll just include a URL this time.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1251051
post #5765 of 5848
Randy, don't you find the silver line below the tv distracting especially when watching in a darkened room? It's even protruding like Jay Leno's chin! The curvature I believe was designed to make the Panasonic logo more prominent because the curve refracts light on it. They used a chrome angled lip on the VT25 which would even cost more light reflections. And in the Z series they didn't do away with it. In fact they modified it to look like a bulging disc. Even worse, they made the TV in brushed metal silver (instead of black) and the lip is glossy thus accentuating instead of attenuating it.

Throughout their models (well maybe except one) Panny for some reason needed to incorporate this "feature". Although the VT25 and the Z1 are marked improvements in the aesthetics department (albeit costs 4k) I find the lip/chin distracting and it cheapens the look overall. Yes, the Pio has a thicker bezel but it's black and no curves so it disappears in the background. In fact Sony has redesigned their line similar to it which they call "monolithic" design.

http://www.acquiremag.com/2010/01/06/sonynx.jpg
post #5766 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsantos View Post

btw... After looking the pq of the current panasonics I decided to go ahead and get a kuro 101fd before they are gone forever. The deal was 2500 nib including a stand. 1 week till delivery and 1 week for break-in. Right in time for the super bowl! wahoo!

i did the exact same thing, how are you liking your 101FD? i paid 2700 with stand, maybe i can threaten a return and get a few more knocked off. delivery in 1 week from bb. i can't wait!

i also called around, and most places want over 3k, like mid 3ks for that display.
post #5767 of 5848
How do you select an optimum height from the floor to hang p65vt25 on the wall which is 9 feet away from the couch?
post #5768 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalysk View Post

How do you select an optimum height from the floor to hang p65vt25 on the wall which is 9 feet away from the couch?

Generally you want the center of the screen to be as close to eye level as possible.
post #5769 of 5848
Thank you.

Though that means that the bottom of a large (65inch) tv will be really close to the floor. That would force the equipment rack to moved elsewhere to provide for the optimum viewing conditions.
post #5770 of 5848
I am puzzled how multiple vendors on Amazon.com (incld. Amazon itself) can sell a Panasonic P50G25 for about $1100 w/ Free Shipping.

Any input ?
post #5771 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalysk View Post

Thank you.

Though that means that the bottom of a large (65inch) tv will be really close to the floor. That would force the equipment rack to moved elsewhere to provide for the optimum viewing conditions.

Or--from 9ft away--you cast your gaze a coupla degrees higher. Shouldn't be too hard/painful. I mean, you'd be rockin' a 65" after all. How bad can lfe be?
post #5772 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalysk View Post

Thank you.

Though that means that the bottom of a large (65inch) tv will be really close to the floor. That would force the equipment rack to moved elsewhere to provide for the optimum viewing conditions.

For a 65" the optimal TV stand height would be about 18-19".
post #5773 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdo View Post

For a 65" the optimal TV stand height would be about 18-19".

How did you calculate that? I'm mounting my 54" VT25 tomorrow...
post #5774 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdo View Post

For a 65" the optimal TV stand height would be about 18-19".

Did you basically compute a perfect median based on the distance and tv dimensions?
post #5775 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phyz View Post

Or--from 9ft away--you cast your gaze a coupla degrees higher. Shouldn't be too hard/painful. I mean, you'd be rockin' a 65" after all. How bad can lfe be?

I don't believe in sins, but I can appreciate the concept as if through the eyes of someone who does. When life gives you a chance to strike perfection, doing any less would be just that.
post #5776 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalysk View Post

How do you select an optimum height from the floor to hang p65vt25 on the wall which is 9 feet away from the couch?

Well, that also depends on the height that you will normally be viewing the TV in that room. If you're sitting on a couch, then just measure your head/eye height and put the TV in the center of that. I don't believe there's a specific formula for the TV height of a specific room for viewing. Just think of the normal viewing angle and figure that for the center of the screen, and adjust the rest of height accordingly.
post #5777 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalysk View Post

When life gives you a chance to strike perfection, doing any less would be just that.

But first you must suspend disbelief and accept the concept "perfection".

Are there really aspects of life--especially where cutting-edge/evolving technology is involved--that merit the use of a term so strong as "perfection"?

Join the world of never-ending compromise, and you'll likely live a few years longer. Strive for perfection knowing it's an elusive quarry that you'll likely never catch.
post #5778 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbachmann View Post

I am puzzled how multiple vendors on Amazon.com (incld. Amazon itself) can sell a Panasonic P50G25 for about $1100 w/ Free Shipping. Any input ?

What's puzzling about it? Amazon is a high-volume online retailer with very little overhead. Shipping charges for a vendor that has a commercial shipping account are very low and they simply absorb the cost into the price of the TV.
post #5779 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalysk View Post

How do you select an optimum height from the floor to hang p65vt25 on the wall which is 9 feet away from the couch?

I prefer to have my 65 inch up higher a bit, and then angle the tv down. Not really up high though.
There are a couple reasons why I prefer this...

#1:To me, it gives me a more of a feeling of being more emmersed in the movie. But thats just me.
#2:With my seating, I can recline and lay back and having the tv up higher, I dont have to strain my neck to look down. When im reclined its just natural your head look upwards a bit.
post #5780 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgull View Post

How did you calculate that? I'm mounting my 54" VT25 tomorrow...

I didn't calculate it. That's how high my stand is for my 65". When I sit on my couch which is your average height, my eye level is just about near the center of the screen if not slightly lower which looks perfect. For a 54" this will be much higher in order to get the center of the screen eye level with you.
post #5781 of 5848
[quote=monstosity12;18709005]I prefer to have my 65 inch up higher a bit, and then angle the tv down. Not really up high though.


People who wear glasses, (especially tri-focals for distance, PC and books) may want to consider a higher mount to match their normal viewing angle. I have our old CRT sitting temporarily on an 18" stand while I rebuild our TV cabinet to accomodate a 58 and I get a stiff neck after a couple of hours watching it with my tri-focals. I like the higher and tilted idea.
post #5782 of 5848
I purchased an LED 240hz Vizio (SV4772xvt) with the internet apps a month ago from Sam's Club. We bought it for the living room and my wife wound up not liking it as much so I inherited the Vizio and she took back the suave-looking Samsung we've had since 2007. It's a pseudo-plasma, meaning it has that glossy screen that increases black level and has better colors (LNt4665f). Great tv, but I was actually happy to inherit the Vizio to test it out for games.

Well, I don't really like it. The black levels are only really great when I use Smart Dimming, and compared to the pop of the Samsung I'm not impressed. I've battled with it for weeks trying to get a picture I'm happy with and I can't. I have to sacrifice picture quality to get rid of the gray-blacks. This is my third LCD and second that is matte screened and I can't stand it. My Samsung LCD with the glossy screen looks like a plasma in terms of quality, so I love it.

So...I've decided to take back the Vizio and go with a plasma. I wanted a 1080p screen for my hubris, but I think I'm going to relent and just go 720p because of price. I'm going to be using this for a PC monitor and 360/PS3 gaming only--rarely any movie watching. The 42" TC-P42C2 models are on sale this week at Target and Best Buy, but I see the 46" model for the same tv (TC-P46C2) is only $30 more online, and with no tax. I know it's the entry level version, but price is right and I've heard great things about Panasonic Plasmas.

I have been having trouble locating many reviews for the TC-P46C2 but it seems to be solid enough. I'm a bit irritated there is both no headphone jack or RCA out; this tv needs to be able to use headphones because it's in one corner of our large living room and my wife doesn't like to hear games blaring while she's watching tv. I don't have a receiver or HT and don't want to shell out for anything expensive just to use headphones. It has an optical out port so it looks like I'll have to buy some optical headphones.

I just hope with the 46" that I won't regret going 720p instead of 1080p. I sit fairly close to the tv due to the size of my space, but the price is really what is convincing me.
post #5783 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post

I just hope with the 46" that I won't regret going 720p instead of 1080p. I sit fairly close to the tv due to the size of my space, but the price is really what is convincing me.

the only reason i wouldn't do exactly what you're talking about is that, when the next gen consoles come out, i'd want 1080p for those.
post #5784 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnathra View Post

the only reason i wouldn't do exactly what you're talking about is that, when the next gen consoles come out, i'd want 1080p for those.

That's why I'm second guessing myself. The 42" 1080p models are more expensive than the 46" 720p sets by about a couple hundred dollars, so I'd wind up with a smaller, more expensive set in order to get 1080p.

I also see that this entry line-up doesn't have DVI or PC hookups. But only the top models seem to. So I wouldn't be able to use it for that either way.

I'm so damn torn. Our Vizio was $1200+ after tax but I'd really like to go far cheaper. There is a 42" 1080p Panny + Blu-Ray player deal for under $900 at Best Buy this week, but I don't know if I'd be able to really appreciate 1080p on a set that size. Some people seem to go by the creed that if it isn't 50" or more, don't bother.
post #5785 of 5848
I think I've decided to go with the TC-P42S2, which is 1080p and 42". It's $200 more than a 46" 720p model, but it has an extra HDMI input, anti-glare coating, game mode and a few other extra features. 42" is big enough for me I think--hell, 32" is big enough where I game.

If I went up to the G-series, I'd get a PC input which would be nice, but is $200 more. Right now I'm using my gaming LCD as a computer monitor as well. If I have to hook up my PC monitor it would need to hide away because there isn't enough room on my desk for a PC monitor, two consoles AND a large television. I don't think I want to pay even more for that feature, however.

The funny thing is, the 46" model of the S-line is $200 more than the 42", but the 50" model is only $5 more than the 46". That's too much tv for my desk, however.
post #5786 of 5848
Sorry if this has been asked, although Im pretty confident it wasnt.

Does anybody know how many Foot Lamberts THX Mode is (VT25) out of the box. Im just curoius. (is it around 30-35 foot lamberts?)

Thanks
post #5787 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post

I think I've decided to go with the TC-P42S2, which is 1080p and 42". It's $200 more than a 46" 720p model, but it has an extra HDMI input, anti-glare coating, game mode and a few other extra features. 42" is big enough for me I think--hell, 32" is big enough where I game.

If I went up to the G-series, I'd get a PC input which would be nice, but is $200 more. Right now I'm using my gaming LCD as a computer monitor as well. If I have to hook up my PC monitor it would need to hide away because there isn't enough room on my desk for a PC monitor, two consoles AND a large television. I don't think I want to pay even more for that feature, however.

The funny thing is, the 46" model of the S-line is $200 more than the 42", but the 50" model is only $5 more than the 46". That's too much tv for my desk, however.

Looking at the same thing right now the 42S2 for $779 or the 42G25 for $950...or the 42U25 for $749...
post #5788 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricot View Post

Looking at the same thing right now the 42S2 for $779 or the 42G25 for $950...or the 42U25 for $749...

I've decided to just say heck with it. I was about to pull the trigger last night in-store but got home and read some more comments. I'm just going to wait and probably go LCD. Ridiculous, because if the Panny + S2 in particular had fewer issues (grainy picture, floating blacks, potential black increase) and had an audio out that wasn't optical anda VGA port, I'd have bought it days ago.

And since the Panasonic is the only brand with a 1080p 42", I"m pretty much stuck with LCD at this point. Hopefully I can get a Samsung with the glossy screen like my current living room model which looks very plasma-like with the better blacks and colors but is missing the nice hz rate.

Oh well. I'm just going to hook up my 32" Westinghouse and say screw it for now. Too much stress. Maybe next year if reviews are stellar I'll get a Panny.
post #5789 of 5848
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since I'm planning on buying a 65VT25.

I have a dying DLP and was previously told it was a good idea to plug it into a UPS. The concern was loss of power killed the cooling fan and would shorten the life of the blub. Having a UPS would allow you to shut down the TV and keep the cooing fan running.

Is there any similar or other concern w/ plasma TVs? Do plasma TVs need a battery backup UPS?
post #5790 of 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTx View Post

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since I'm planning on buying a 65VT25.

I have a dying DLP and was previously told it was a good idea to plug it into a UPS. The concern was loss of power killed the cooling fan and would shorten the life of the blub. Having a UPS would allow you to shut down the TV and keep the cooing fan running.

Is there any similar or other concern w/ plasma TVs? Do plasma TVs need a battery backup UPS?

I asked this here ~ month ago and was told yes by a number of people. My G25 is plugged into a UPS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic 2010 Plasma Models