or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 433

post #12961 of 15247
I do Dynamic Volume OFF and Dynamic EQ ON with Reference Level Offset of 10dB for music and 0dB for movies.
post #12962 of 15247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I checked the rumble filter on both subs and they're already set to 1/OFF. I set up according to the included direction sheet you guys included in the box with the shipping receipt.

I'll so some more playing today and see if there's any change.

-

Another thing is do is close-mic test and compare with your in-room to see where the roll-off comes from? One of the EQs you use? or just room? It is a bit tricky to get a ported sub near field measurement, but you can try your best. Put the mic about 4" out and mid-way between the woofer and the port. Defeat all EQ.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbyte View Post

So i got the fv15hp today. Removed my vtf-3 mk-3 and placed it in the same position. Ran auddesey with recommended amp settings by Rythmik, it set the sub at -1.5db. I changed all speakers to small and set the crossover at 80Hz, and LPF at 80Hz as well. The distance seems to be correct. Its running on 1 port config with PeQ off (not sure how to use this)

Input is on LFE in.

When I replay material with lfe, the output is seemingly less than what the hsu was giving for the same scenes. The gain is set at 0. I'm still missing something. Any one have any idea on what else needs to be done?

It depends on how much you feel is missing. Often times a cleaner bass will make you feel less bass because the distortions of bass are at higher frequency and therefore more audible than the true bass itself. For any integration, the midbass integration and lower bass output are the main concern. For the former, play a piece of music with drums. If the midbass integration is bad, the drum will sound recessed. If that is the case, try adjust the subwoofer distance in AVR menu. Then play movies. If you feel the bass is just a bit less than you'd like, then you can temporarily boost the sub level by 3db and listen for a few days. It is likely after a few days of listening you realize the bass is a tad too much and come back to turn the sub level back.
post #12963 of 15247
So if I wanted a lil more chest thump out of my fv15hp could I just flip on the peq, turn the freq. To say 45hz,bandwidth at 12oclock, and gain +2?

I don't nessicarily (I can't spell lol) have a null there bit it would just be nice to boost it for some extra chest thump
post #12964 of 15247
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post

So if I wanted a lil more chest thump out of my fv15hp could I just flip on the peq, turn the freq.

First things first, have you dialed your system, +/- 3dB flat?
post #12965 of 15247
No I don't have an eq just for my subs. Looking into antimode but I think if I take the time to do rew and get a sub eq I'll be happier in the long run.

All I've done basically is run yapo which does little for my subs
post #12966 of 15247
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbyte View Post

So i got the fv15hp today. Removed my vtf-3 mk-3 and placed it in the same position. Ran auddesey with recommended amp settings by Rythmik, it set the sub at -1.5db. I changed all speakers to small and set the crossover at 80Hz, and LPF at 80Hz as well. The distance seems to be correct. Its running on 1 port config with PeQ off (not sure how to use this)

Input is on LFE in.

When I replay material with lfe, the output is seemingly less than what the hsu was giving for the same scenes. The gain is set at 0. I'm still missing something. Any one have any idea on what else needs to be done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post


It depends on how much you feel is missing. Often times a cleaner bass will make you feel less bass because the distortions of bass are at higher frequency and therefore more audible than the true bass itself. For any integration, the midbass integration and lower bass output are the main concern. For the former, play a piece of music with drums. If the midbass integration is bad, the drum will sound recessed. If that is the case, try adjust the subwoofer distance in AVR menu. Then play movies. If you feel the bass is just a bit less than you'd like, then you can temporarily boost the sub level by 3db and listen for a few days. It is likely after a few days of listening you realize the bass is a tad too much and come back to turn the sub level back.
tanbyte, when I first received my FV15HP I had the same experience as you. With everything being equal, the bass just didn't seem as pronounced. At first I wrote it off to the sub needing some break-in hours and I'm sure that helped. But analyzing deeper it became apparent that the Rythmik was putting out a cleaner, more even signal across the low frequency spectrum. Whether it was the break-in period or my brain getting used to this new sub, I can't answer. What I do know is that once I became accustomed to the Rythmik, it was a day and night difference.

FWIW, my previous sub was an HSU 12" down firing model
post #12967 of 15247
I've had my E15HP for the last 2 weeks.

The original (much smaller) room had a water leak and was unavailable. Of course I decided to hook it up to my 2 channel setup (Linkwitz Orion 3.5 with subjective neutrality mod, Exasound E20 DAC direct to amp). I had high expectations of the E15 in this configuration given the Orion rolloff at 30hz and my expectations were met. The E15 is indeed very musical. I wouldn't say quite as musical as the Orion dipoles, with the room excitation issues of monopoles, but the extension and output blows the Orions away. I like to listen at close to realistic levels, and the dipole bass, while articulate, doesn't have the physics for a lot of low frequency dynamics. The E15 not only blends perfectly, but also adds a new sense of realism. Its the perfect compliment to an otherwise almost perfect setup.

As a side note, It also scares me a little and I haven't been able to turn it up anywhere close to what I used to do!

I played a few movies in this configuration with the Orions as L/R and completely ruined any expectations for my smaller HT sound. I wish I had this space (and budget) for the smaller HT setup. If anything this setup is too dynamic, which is a good problem to have I suppose.

So yeah I am impressed with Rythmik. Unfortunately this means I'll probably have to order another E15HP for my 2 channel setup. The other downside is having the Denon X.4000 in the chain. While its a good receiver and Audyessy XT32 is great and all, I prefer my DAC direct to amp without anything in between. Having the receiver in the chain, adds another veil.

The wife will be thrilled at the idea of buying another subwoofer, this time for the living room....

Cheers,
Greg
post #12968 of 15247
I was doing some work in my theater room and tied on some music. That was a mistake. I stopped what I was doing and just listened. I had put on a Joss Stone album I've listened to a 100 times. It was like listening for the 1st time.

I think the FV15HP's talents are wasted on movies!
post #12969 of 15247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac View Post

I was doing some work in my theater room and tied on some music. That was a mistake. I stopped what I was doing and just listened. I had put on a Joss Stone album I've listened to a 100 times. It was like listening for the 1st time.

I think the FV15HP's talents are wasted on movies!
I wouldn't say "wasted". It excels at everything it does and is MUCH more musical than some give it credit for given some folks preconceived notions regarding ported subs.

Rock-on my Rythmik brutha!
post #12970 of 15247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac View Post

I was doing some work in my theater room and tied on some music. That was a mistake. I stopped what I was doing and just listened. I had put on a Joss Stone album I've listened to a 100 times. It was like listening for the 1st time.

I think the FV15HP's talents are wasted on movies!

Can't imagine your face if you listen to a Fourplay tune like Bali Run or December Dream eek.gif
post #12971 of 15247
Quote:
So if I wanted a lil more chest thump out of my fv15hp could I just flip on the peq, turn the freq. To say 45hz,bandwidth at 12oclock, and gain +2?

If you want more chest thump, there is a dip in 30-60Hz region. Check it with REW. I woudn't add 2dB; would rather tinker with the placement to bring up that area in the FR. Every single dB added with PEQ compresses dynamic range and lessens headroom. Best is to use PEQ for cutting the peaks; not boosting dips.
post #12972 of 15247
Okay gotcha. I moved theese suns all over lol. Up front has better sound quality while in back by my mlp has a ton of output.

Looks like ts the to learn to use rew..

I'll make that my next priority
post #12973 of 15247
Put your sub(s) where they sound the loudest, then use 2 ports open / rumble filter on / 20 hz tune / medium damping / limiter off / PEQ Off / LFE input.
post #12974 of 15247
That would be some serious output! I'll have to try it.

I have tried the loudest position with 2 ports. 14hz and med and I liked it quite a bit. It was super loud!

Even when the woofers were barely moving I got significant output
post #12975 of 15247
I'm surprised you didn't recommend the 14hz tune.. why is that?

Also I always have limiter on and it has never even had to engage
post #12976 of 15247
Me and the girlfriend are going to watch both tron and riddick tonight.

IMA definatly crank up the ol fv15hps as Theese should be some pretty impressive bass movies.

I'm thinking of running my subs in the 2 port, 14hz med camping mode.. do Therese movies have much below 20hz?
Will I be missing out on much low end if I run them that way?
post #12977 of 15247

I recommend the 'master list of bass movies' thread for that question. It rates movies solely on bass and a lot of them have bass graphs associated with them describing their max extension and for how much of the movie includes said extension. 

post #12978 of 15247
How good is the REW room simulation for non-standard room sizes? My room is sealed but more of a Tetris L (with the listening area being at the "top" of the L) than rectangle.
post #12979 of 15247
Might want to post in the REW thread in the theory sub-forum instead of here.
post #12980 of 15247
Is using the peq controls kind of like using the miniDSP or the miniDSP is far more advance? Thanks.
post #12981 of 15247
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post

I'm surprised you didn't recommend the 14hz tune.. why is that?

Also I always have limiter on and it has never even had to engage

That's coz you said you wanted to have more chest slam. If you extend low; that comes at the expense of chest slam. Why do you think JTR OS LFU doesn't dig deep and is tuned to low 20s only? That's coz they don't want to give up the chest slam area coz that's the FR region that creates the most solid impact esp during movies playback.
post #12982 of 15247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

Is using the peq controls kind of like using the miniDSP or the miniDSP is far more advance? Thanks.

PEQ is just equalization. MiniDSP, as the name suggests, does a lot more than just eq
post #12983 of 15247
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

PEQ is just equalization. MiniDSP, as the name suggests, does a lot more than just eq

But if PEQ is added to Anti-Mode and XT32.....tongue.gif

I got a pretty good +/- 3dB graph out of a pair of subs, an asymmetrical setup of PEQ, Anti-Mode 8033S II and XT.

(as long as we're +/-3dB, what should I care)
post #12984 of 15247
I like to keep the signal chain as short as possible. An FR EQd flat will surely look pretty awesome on paper; but that is half the battle. It must sound good. In my experience, I've found best sounding subs had little to no EQ at all. The FR looked ragged, but they sounded fantastic.

I reckon EQing the sub response with 1/6th octave smoothing engaged. That way you end up using fewer filters, which sounds fantastic.
post #12985 of 15247
If it helps, the subs are there for the effects. biggrin.gif

We don't listen to music and we're in it for the Home Theater special effects. We have a new receiver coming in the mail so we'll have a better amplifier section and the speakers will be able to keep up with the subs.

(and yes, often I have wondered if extending the signal chain, causes signal degradation)

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 1/5/14 at 2:43am
post #12986 of 15247
When I first started using BFD, I would EQ the subs flat like a ruler and be happy. But slowly and gradually over a period of 3 years, I realized that was not required. It degraded SQ to a great extent. So, I did away with the BFD and focused on better placement options, which yielded the cleanest and the best sound.
post #12987 of 15247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post

Another thing is do is close-mic test and compare with your in-room to see where the roll-off comes from? One of the EQs you use? or just room? It is a bit tricky to get a ported sub near field measurement, but you can try your best. Put the mic about 4" out and mid-way between the woofer and the port. Defeat all EQ.


It depends on how much you feel is missing. Often times a cleaner bass will make you feel less bass because the distortions of bass are at higher frequency and therefore more audible than the true bass itself. For any integration, the midbass integration and lower bass output are the main concern. For the former, play a piece of music with drums. If the midbass integration is bad, the drum will sound recessed. If that is the case, try adjust the subwoofer distance in AVR menu. Then play movies. If you feel the bass is just a bit less than you'd like, then you can temporarily boost the sub level by 3db and listen for a few days. It is likely after a few days of listening you realize the bass is a tad too much and come back to turn the sub level back.

I'm beginning to like what i hear now.... Turned the sub trim on the avr to abt 6 db hot and watched some more trailers on apple tv. The bass definitely sounds much much cleaner and it really is blending quite well with my speakers. I had no idea alot of what I was hearing with my prev sub was attributed to distortion, tho it still sounded pretty good.

Still playing around with it but its really starting to give me that theatre effect in my room, the one where you can hear all the lfe, but cant really tell whether its from a dedicated sub or the side speakers! Love it so far! I dont know if its psychological or what, but for some reason my speakers have also started sounding better! smile.gif

Gotta play more stuff and esp music, where i hear this thing excels, with the sub level trimmed back to normal.

Its a beast to move tho, have to work hard to slide it on the subdude every time to tweak settings biggrin.gif
post #12988 of 15247
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

When I first started using BFD, I would EQ the subs flat like a ruler and be happy. But slowly and gradually over a period of 3 years, I realized that was not required. It degraded SQ to a great extent.

Well, we all have to admit that we're slave to the sound master's efforts. tongue.gif
post #12989 of 15247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post


tanbyte, when I first received my FV15HP I had the same experience as you. With everything being equal, the bass just didn't seem as pronounced. At first I wrote it off to the sub needing some break-in hours and I'm sure that helped. But analyzing deeper it became apparent that the Rythmik was putting out a cleaner, more even signal across the low frequency spectrum. Whether it was the break-in period or my brain getting used to this new sub, I can't answer. What I do know is that once I became accustomed to the Rythmik, it was a day and night difference.

FWIW, my previous sub was an HSU 12" down firing model

Glad, i think im beginning to realize what you experienced....liking what i hear tho. It is on a different level and also didnt know distortion from my prev sub could sound likable. Always used to think that was awesome lfe smile.gif
post #12990 of 15247
Hi guys, I'm running 4 F-15's (stacked pair on each channel). This configuration sounds in the bass more balanced than when I use the main speakers (Soundlabs) fullrange. But... I experience a poor pitch definition in the frequency range between 30-100Hz. Is it because of some phase anomalies/mismatch? Is it due to wrong placement? Is it related to room? Can I have your help please?

Chris
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread