or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 2

post #31 of 15148
Is anyone using multiple subs that they've connected using the balanced XLR inputs/outputs via the "Source In" and "Slave In" plate amp connections?

After reading Dr Floyd Toole's latest book I'm sold on the idea that 4 subs is the way to go for best small room bass. Given the length of cable runs it's likely XLR would be better than RCA and I'm planning on putting a professional studio analogue Parametric EQ upstream of the 4 subs to attenuate bass mode peaks with 5 seperate EQ's per channel.

My understanding is that in using the Source In/Slave In that the source's sub volume control also controls the slave's volume, which may not be a good idea if the two rear subs are closer to the listening position than the front 2 subs. . .

Finally, how does one set up 4 subs -> do you set up all 4 at the same volume relative to the listening chair and then match the main's volume dB to the sub's volume dB?
post #32 of 15148
4 subs? Jesus!
post #33 of 15148
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsaudio View Post

4 subs? Jesus!

My kind of room!

Too much is never enough.
post #34 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

My kind of room!

Too much is never enough.

Is too much just right?
post #35 of 15148
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsaudio View Post

Is too much just right?

I guess you could say that.
post #36 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

How many of you have played with the bass extension controls (amp tuning)? Or is everybody just stuck on 14Hz and Hi damping?

For my set up music sounds best there, however I find a bit more bass "kick" for movies with the damping on Low (however it feels just a little too flabby with music). What's been your experiences?

I've tried 14Hz with Hi, Med and Low damping. Didn't like "Low" due to being too flabby as you said. I'm running "Hi" for music and "Med" for movies.

I also tried 20Hz, but I felt that 14Hz gave me a marginally better feel.
post #37 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinzoe View Post

My understanding is that in using the Source In/Slave In that the source's sub volume control also controls the slave's volume, which may not be a good idea if the two rear subs are closer to the listening position than the front 2 subs. . .

On the other hand, when the volume are set the same for all units, all subs will max out at the same point. Otherwise, you may have some units working harder than others and they becomes the bottleneck.

When using master/slave configuration, the slave unit follows the master except the phase control. That means each slave unit can have a different delay respect to master unit. Keep in mind we can only add delay on the plate amp and AVR can add and subtract a common delay to all units. There is a bit of planing here in terms of delay.
post #38 of 15148
OK right now I'm upgrading to an MFW-15 from a Bic H-100, would a rhythmic be the next logical step forward from the MFW-15? Considering I'm looking for detail and musicality?
post #39 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepauly View Post

OK right now I'm upgrading to an MFW-15 from a Bic H-100, would a rhythmic be the next logical step forward from the MFW-15? Considering I'm looking for detail and musicality?

Yes, absolutely. my 15 is a perfect match for my maggie 1.6..
post #40 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

How many of you have played with the bass extension controls (amp tuning)? Or is everybody just stuck on 14Hz and Hi damping?

For my set up music sounds best there, however I find a bit more bass "kick" for movies with the damping on Low (however it feels just a little too flabby with music). What's been your experiences?
Because of the location of my subs, it would have been nice to have it on remote control though. Hey Brian, ever consider doing this?

For most music and all movies I leave mine set at 14Hz/High. On some poorly recorded (IMO) music, I'll flip the switch to either 20Hz or 28Hz, but in all cases I use high damping. Just love the tightness the high setting provides.
post #41 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandtk View Post

Yes, absolutely. my 15 is a perfect match for my maggie 1.6..

Finally, someone with a Rhytmik and Maggies! I've been looking to get a new sub (or two) for my Maggie HT and so far, I haven't heard anyone actually using a Rhythmik with maggies (although a lot of people say they think it should work perfect...).

Other options I've looked at would be JL F113 (expensive, which would mean one sub), ML Descent (would be used to get the price I need), Velodyne DD15 (again, expensive, even used). Last option, which I've been looking at would be Rhythmik, but without really knowing if they would work or not, I felt a bit reluctant to take the plunge.
post #42 of 15148
Brian,
Any thoughts on the "wave" of THT builds lately?? Any thoughts on implementing one with your subs?
Roland
post #43 of 15148
I'm updating my home theater and I think I will go with a Rythmik sub. While my movie/music ratio is about 70/30, I place more value on the music. Given this, I thought the 12" might be the best option, but the Rythmik web site states that both do equally well for sound.

My home theater is 27' long, and 17' wide at one part and 12' ft wide at another. It is open to my pool table room (i.e., big space)

I plan to start with one (I have an old Velodyne VA-1012 now and it shakes enough for movies, but is lacking for music), but would be willing to add a second if need be.

Opinions on which sub to start with?

Edit: I can order through their web site or Ascend, which seems strange. Any advantage to one over the other?
post #44 of 15148
Some models have a quantity discount through rythmik's site but if you are only ordering one of them I think it would be identical.
post #45 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegage View Post

I'm updating my home theater and I think I will go with a Rythmik sub. While my movie/music ratio is about 70/30, I place more value on the music. Given this, I thought the 12" might be the best option, but the Rythmik web site states that both do equally well for sound.

My home theater is 27' long, and 17' wide at one part and 12' ft wide at another. It is open to my pool table room (i.e., big space)

I plan to start with one (I have an old Velodyne VA-1012 now and it shakes enough for movies, but is lacking for music), but would be willing to add a second if need be.

Opinions?

Edit: I can order through their web site or Ascend, which seems strange. Any advantage to one over the other?

With a room that size, I would look at the 15.

If you live in Ca or Tx, there may be state tax involved. If you live outside of both states, I would pick the one that is closest to you, to minimize delivery time.

There may be an financial benefit for Brian if you ordered directly through Rythmik.
post #46 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post

The next reasonable size down for me is actually 8" with full servo control below 200hz. There are some good transducers out there (coaxial, ribbon, to name a few) that can benefit from this type of extended bass units.

Would you ever consider something along the lines of the Velo 1812, where you use a larger driver (12 or 15) for the lower frequencies and a smaller driver (8) for the midbass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post

I do plan to offer dual 15" configuration. Two of them will be driven by an H600 amp. The only downside is enclosure size.

Roughly how big an enclosure did you mean? Also, any idea when these (dual-15, H600) will be available; even a ballpark timeline?

Thanx,
post #47 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

...where you use a larger driver (12 or 15) for the lower frequencies and a smaller driver (8) for the midbass?...

Fantastic idea.... If he could get this concept to work, I'd definitely be a player on a couple of these ...I eagerly await Brian's response.
post #48 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegage View Post

...Opinions on which sub to start with?

Edit: I can order through their web site or Ascend, which seems strange. Any advantage to one over the other?

For your room size, I'd say look at a 15" and you can add another one later if you feel one's not enough for your space. I don't believe Ascend carries the base 300-watt amp model, so if you decide to go that route, then you might have to go through the Rythmik site. That was my issue, as I would have just as well preferred to get them from Ascend as I believe they may be better set-up to deal with any customer's after-the-sale questions on issues... not that Brian is unresponsive, its just he's really busy and his site lacks a forum. BTW, I personally didn't have a single issue with either of my Rythmiks
post #49 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post

For most music and all movies I leave mine set at 14Hz/High. On some poorly recorded (IMO) music, I'll flip the switch to either 20Hz or 28Hz, but in all cases I use high damping. Just love the tightness the high setting provides.

The thing is you get a big boost starting around 25Hz on up into the mid-bass region by changing the damping to Low... this can be great for certain movie effects but you are right, IF your room is tight (low reverberation time) then it can sound a bit flabby. My room is really tight but with movie sound effects often "tight sound" doesn't really mean a lot... like how meaningful is it to speak of a "tight" plane crash or a "tight" explosion or a "tight" earthquake.

BTW, couldn't help but notice your moniker is "laulau", which has meaning to me so I looked at your location and see you're from Oahu... I was born and raise in Kaneohe in the 50s and 60s (graduated from Castle High in '68)... I've been gone a longtime from the Islands, always get a little twinge of nostalgia when I see something from Hawaii.
Aloha Bra...
post #50 of 15148
Thanks for the replies monomer and bearchan.

My D15SE is ordered!
post #51 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

The thing is you get a big boost starting around 25Hz on up into the mid-bass region by changing the damping to Low... this can be great for certain movie effects but you are right, IF your room is tight (low reverberation time) then it can sound a bit flabby. My room is really tight but with movie sound effects often "tight sound" doesn't really mean a lot... like how meaningful is it to speak of a "tight" plane crash or a "tight" explosion or a "tight" earthquake.

Agreed, "tight" is highly subjective. One of the best things Brian did when he designed these subs is give us the ability to fine tune the sound to our individual tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

BTW, couldn't help but notice your moniker is "laulau", which has meaning to me so I looked at your location and see you're from Oahu... I was born and raise in Kaneohe in the 50s and 60s (graduated from Castle High in '68)... I've been gone a longtime from the Islands, always get a little twinge of nostalgia when I see something from Hawaii.
Aloha Bra...

Howzit brah? I've been following your posts for many months and have always respected your calm level headed stance on various topics, even when other posters are behaving like a bunch of preteens. Good to hear your a kama'aina.

Even with all the development that has taken place over the years, there's still no place more beautiful than the windward side. I'm out in central Oahu, but paradise is still paradise.
post #52 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandtk View Post

Brian,
Any thoughts on the "wave" of THT builds lately?? Any thoughts on implementing one with your subs?
Roland

I am definitely interested in building one myself and tested it out. I have read a document from Tom on comparing THT to vented subwoofer and he gets about 1.8x less excursion at the excursion peak as compared with a vented sub. At this stage, it is still too early to say anything. But his definitely got my attention.
post #53 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgillow View Post

Some models have a quantity discount through rythmik's site but if you are only ordering one of them I think it would be identical.

Ascend's customers service is also very good. Buying from Ascend can get good support too.
post #54 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

Fantastic idea.... If he could get this concept to work, I'd definitely be a player on a couple of these ...I eagerly await Brian's response.

It is a worth trying idea. I really love to hear articulate upper bass sound too. That is the next area to tackle from my perspective. The debate is whether to use one big and one small drivers, or to use multiple smaller drivers. As I say, to prove the concept, I need a good speaker, reference level, that can benefit from servo playing up to 200hz. Let me know when you find one.
post #55 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Roughly how big an enclosure did you mean? Also, any idea when these (dual-15, H600) will be available; even a ballpark timeline?

Thanx,

The schedule is very uncertain at this moment because the upcoming Chinese new years with 2 weeks break. If I can get them done before the break, these dual drivers would be available by the end of Feb. If not, it would be end of Mar. I recommend 5-6 cu ft enclosure for dual 15" drivers. That is about 2.5 - 3 cu ft per driver.
post #56 of 15148
Hi Rythmik - When you get a minute, could you check your private messages here? I just sent you a message re: needing help choosing one of your subs for my home theater. Thanks!
post #57 of 15148
Just placed my order for the F15 in matte black. After MONTHS of research and debate, I finally pulled the trigger. I am happy to be apart of the Rythmik family and looking forward to sharing my impressions.
post #58 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post

The schedule is very uncertain at this moment because the upcoming Chinese new years with 2 weeks break. If I can get them done before the break, these dual drivers would be available by the end of Feb. If not, it would be end of Mar.

That's not so long. I can wait till spring; only couple months away.
post #59 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post

The schedule is very uncertain at this moment because the upcoming Chinese new years with 2 weeks break. If I can get them done before the break, these dual drivers would be available by the end of Feb. If not, it would be end of Mar. I recommend 5-6 cu ft enclosure for dual 15" drivers. That is about 2.5 - 3 cu ft per driver.

Will the H-600 amp with the dual driver be servo or non-servo model?
post #60 of 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post

Will the H-600 amp with the dual driver be servo or non-servo model?

It will be servo. The two drivers in a dual driver servo kit need to place close together.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread