or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 264

post #7891 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

To me it is more of a feel thing than sound but like I said it could all be in my head. I guess what got me thinking was when I was watching the BD of Black Hawk Down. I heard a couple and saw on the bass list that this is either a 4.5 or 5 star for bass but I just did not feel it. There is a specific scene where the choppers are taking off where a forum member raved about how his subs were just going crazy during this scene and for me I just did not get that feeling. I should mention though that his system contained two LMS ultra 18" subs in a sealed boxes so that is possibly why he was getting all of that real low bass and I was not.

I still feel it is probably just because I have limited spots to place my sub and have not really messed around with too much yet. I am sure if I spent a day trying to dial it in (not too sure what to do to dial a sub in though) I would get better performance.
What's your room size? Open room or closed room? I believe for someone to feel the bass, the room has to be small and closed.
post #7892 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

What's your room size? Open room or closed room? I believe for someone to feel the bass, the room has to be small and closed.

It is only about 12x14 with 8 foot ceilings so about 1344 ft^3 and when I am doing critical listening I close the door to the room to seal it off.
post #7893 of 15139
Is the F12 more comparable to the SVS PB1000 or to the PB12-NSD in max output and in the frequency it can hit?

[edit] Would I be right in saying PB1000 < PB12-NSD < F12 < PB12Plus ?
post #7894 of 15139
Can any of you guys who got the FV15HP with the rubber feet tell me how long those feet are?
post #7895 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

It is only about 12x14 with 8 foot ceilings so about 1344 ft^3 and when I am doing critical listening I close the door to the room to seal it off.
That's a small room. Have you ever did a frequency response sweep (with REW) before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Gara View Post

Is the F12 more comparable to the SVS PB1000 or to the PB12-NSD in max output and in the frequency it can hit?

[edit] Would I be right in saying PB1000 < PB12-NSD < F12 < PB12Plus ?
Maybe F12 should compare with SB12-NSD since they are sealed subs.
post #7896 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Maybe F12 should compare with SB12-NSD since they are sealed subs.

That's what I thought, but the F12's frequency curve looks like it'll give the PB12-NSD a run for it's money, the F12 is said be 14-200 hz.
post #7897 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

That's a small room. Have you ever did a frequency response sweep (with REW) before?

No I have not. Unfortunately I do not have a PC or laptop at home (only an iPad) but am contemplating building a PC in the coming months.

I know that the opening scene from the hurt locker where the bomb goes off sounded fantastic when I had my sub setup for max output so maybe I should try that scene to see what the difference is. I think a lot of what I am experiencing is just poor placement due to space constraints and not enough time dialing it in completely due to not having any measuring equipment or software (and not knowing how to use it on top of that).
post #7898 of 15139
@Smigro, I am familiar with that Black Hawk Down scene you mentioned. I would have thought max extension would be the winner for that one because that scene has sub 20 Hz material... I have to stop pretending I know something about this because I read the numbers and go actually try it out. It's on my ToDo list now.

I've heard Popalock's dual LMS's, very nice, but's he's upgraded to something crazy. Something like 16 of the SI drivers eek.gif
post #7899 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Can any of you guys who got the FV15HP with the rubber feet tell me how long those feet are?

.75 inch installed.
post #7900 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

@Smigro, I am familiar with that Black Hawk Down scene you mentioned. I would have thought max extension would be the winner for that one because that scene has sub 20 Hz material... I have to stop pretending I know something about this because I read the numbers and go actually try it out. It's on my ToDo list now.

I've heard Popalock's dual LMS's, very nice, but's he's upgraded to something crazy. Something like 16 of the SI drivers eek.gif

Popalock and Gorilla are actually who I was chatting with about this in his classified section for his LMS-u. This is what got me thinking something may not be setup right. He had said when Gorilla put on that scene that he had never scene his subs move as much as they did in that scene. So last night I played that scene again and while it sounded good it did not seem to impress me the way it did them guys. That being said though I would guess that those LMS drivers are in a completely different league than the FV15HP.
Edited by Smigro - 1/11/13 at 9:59am
post #7901 of 15139
So, I have some time today to mess with the setup (using MCACC) of my FV15HP. After moving my sub a tad and rerunning MCACC it now has the sub channel level set at -12db. I've changed the gain and volume settings on the subwoofer to try to get MCACC to bring the channel level closer to 0db but nothing is changing. Every time I run it, it gives me -12db. Any ideas on how I can get it closer to 0db? Thanks!
post #7902 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post

.75 inch installed.

Thanks for that. Haven't even received a tracking number yet but I want to make sure my TV is the right height since the sub will be just a little under the edge of the screen.
post #7903 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo4 View Post

So, I have some time today to mess with the setup (using MCACC) of my FV15HP. After moving my sub a tad and rerunning MCACC it now has the sub channel level set at -12db. I've changed the gain and volume settings on the subwoofer to try to get MCACC to bring the channel level closer to 0db but nothing is changing. Every time I run it, it gives me -12db. Any ideas on how I can get it closer to 0db? Thanks!
As i mentioned earlier, i think you need to raise the volume knob at the bottom right of the Rythmik and rerun because you are at negative sub trim value. This will bring the sub trim up closer to zero on your AVR
post #7904 of 15139
Taken from the Audyssey FAQ thread:

If MultEQ reports high negative trims - eg -12dB, then turn the sub gain control DOWN and run MultEQ again. Repeat until you are happy. Tip: to get the sub trim level adjusted correctly, you don't need to do a full calibration - just set the mic at the Main Listening Position and make the minimum number of measurements all from that one mic position. Once you have the sub set correctly, then run MultEQ using all available mic positions for your version.
post #7905 of 15139
Thanks. Somehow i got the opposite stucked in my head.
post #7906 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

Thanks. Somehow i got the opposite stucked in my head.

I used to have the opposite stuck in my head at one time too so I won't be throwing any stones at you. tongue.gif Not that I would anyway. smile.gif
post #7907 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo4 View Post

So, I have some time today to mess with the setup (using MCACC) of my FV15HP. After moving my sub a tad and rerunning MCACC it now has the sub channel level set at -12db. I've changed the gain and volume settings on the subwoofer to try to get MCACC to bring the channel level closer to 0db but nothing is changing. Every time I run it, it gives me -12db. Any ideas on how I can get it closer to 0db? Thanks!

Please list the settings of everything on the amp. Normally you should only need to increase the gain. It is possible there is a null at the LP with your present sub position so you might move it again and see what happens.

Note that MCACC does not equalize the sub.
post #7908 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

No I have not. Unfortunately I do not have a PC or laptop at home (only an iPad) but am contemplating building a PC in the coming months.

I know that the opening scene from the hurt locker where the bomb goes off sounded fantastic when I had my sub setup for max output so maybe I should try that scene to see what the difference is. I think a lot of what I am experiencing is just poor placement due to space constraints and not enough time dialing it in completely due to not having any measuring equipment or software (and not knowing how to use it on top of that).

Sufficient midbass output is also important. What can cause reduction in midbass output is the phase alignmement between sub and front speakers. Some autoEQ will do that for you. If you dont have one, then you may need to do a bit of trial and error. Small room is acoustically tough. I would recommend you open the door to let the energy to escape a bit and see if that helps.
post #7909 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post

Sufficient midbass output is also important. What can cause reduction in midbass output is the phase alignmement between sub and front speakers. Some autoEQ will do that for you. If you dont have one, then you may need to do a bit of trial and error. Small room is acoustically tough. I would recommend you open the door to let the energy to escape a bit and see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply Brian. I do MutliEQ on my receiver so I am guessing that is doing what it is supposed to be doing. I will try what you suggest about leaving the door open to see if that helps at all.

Again, I am very happy with my purchase so far, it is just to me it seemed I was getting better results using max output as opposed to max extension but that could all be in my head.
post #7910 of 15139
I get my FV15HP in the mail today. I could not be anymore stoked! Woo Hoo! smile.gif Upgrading from a PSW505 which I had for two weeks smile.gif
post #7911 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Andersen View Post

I get my FV15HP in the mail today. I could not be anymore stoked! Woo Hoo! smile.gif Upgrading from a PSW505 which I had for two weeks smile.gif

Congrats! I went from a 505 to a RW-12D and like you I decided to take the leap. Hopefully I'll get mine by the end of next week.

Edit: Just got my tracking info. Scheduled Delivery: 17-January-2013. If I were not retired I'd sure be taking that day off. I hope the UPS guy has got some muscles.
Edited by XStanleyX - 1/11/13 at 1:24pm
post #7912 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Congrats! I went from a 505 to a RW-12D and like you I decided to take the leap. Hopefully I'll get mine by the end of next week.

Edit: Just got my tracking info. Scheduled Delivery: 17-January-2013. If I were not retired I'd sure be taking that day off. I hope the UPS guy has got some muscles.

Yeah, those boxes are fun to haul around your house, and lifting over baby gates and such cool.gif Good thing I deadlift regularly tongue.gif Oh, also a good time moving them around the carpeted room with spikes on the bottom wink.gif
post #7913 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

Popalock and Gorilla are actually who I was chatting with about this in his classified section for his LMS-u.
Those are some gooood folks, one traded in dual LMS's and the other traded in dual cap's. pop went down last week to pick up new drivers for them and some other folks. 28 SI drivers OMG. Some funny pick's, Rilla hugged massive wall of subs. I think pop is doing 16 in his room, gorilla has 8 dual opposed now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

That being said though I would guess that those LMS drivers are in a completely different league than the FV15HP.

Pops LMS's came up pretty fast after the FV15HP at the GTG out your way. They were awesome, and yes they had more output then the FV15HP. The Rythmik did very well too though and even though the LMS's are known for low distortion, I'm always thinking in terms of, I wonder if that (pick any) sub is as low distortion / clean as the Rythmik. Thinking about it the other way really hasn't crossed my mind. One Rythmik was more than enough output for me 99.5% of the time, I think I'm pretty good to go with two.

I read that classified post you referred to, They were talking about the "infrasonics" / sub 20Hz material in that scene. I'm still thinking max extension is the way to go for that one.

Are you going to Gorilla's speaker GTG?
post #7914 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerlnik View Post

Yeah, those boxes are fun to haul around your house, and lifting over baby gates and such cool.gif Good thing I deadlift regularly tongue.gif Oh, also a good time moving them around the carpeted room with spikes on the bottom wink.gif

No need for me to do any weight lifting. Once the UPS guy gets it in the door I'll wait til my 32 year old son gets here. biggrin.gif
post #7915 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

No need for me to do any weight lifting. Once the UPS guy gets it in the door I'll wait til my 32 year old son gets here. biggrin.gif

Stop being lazy, Stanley.

One small guy who delivered my first sub actually picked up the box in hand and walked it up my driveway. I was impressed. That thing weighs 120lbs. The guy who delivered the second one could hardly move the box with a hand truck.

I hated even unboxing those things. Moving them from one room to another was pure torture. I was thinking, Man I should have gotten a sealed sub.biggrin.gif
post #7916 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Stop being lazy, Stanley.

One small guy who delivered my first sub actually picked up the box in hand and walked it up my driveway. I was impressed. That thing weighs 120lbs. The guy who delivered the second one could hardly move the box with a hand truck.

I hated even unboxing those things. Moving them from one room to another was pure torture. I was thinking, Man I should have gotten a sealed sub.biggrin.gif

The shipping weight is 140 lbs. That about 130 lbs over my weight limit. biggrin.gif I got some furniture gliders already off amazon. I be prepared.
post #7917 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

No need for me to do any weight lifting. Once the UPS guy gets it in the door I'll wait til my 32 year old son gets here. biggrin.gif

I should have outsourced as well... what was I thinking wasting all that precious energy? biggrin.gif
post #7918 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Stop being lazy, Stanley.

One small guy who delivered my first sub actually picked up the box in hand and walked it up my driveway. I was impressed. That thing weighs 120lbs. The guy who delivered the second one could hardly move the box with a hand truck.

I hated even unboxing those things. Moving them from one room to another was pure torture. I was thinking, Man I should have gotten a sealed sub.biggrin.gif

Be thankful your name isn't John Connor. That "small guy" was obviously a robot from the future... wink.gif
post #7919 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post


Those are some gooood folks, one traded in dual LMS's and the other traded in dual cap's. pop went down last week to pick up new drivers for them and some other folks. 28 SI drivers OMG. Some funny pick's, Rilla hugged massive wall of subs. I think pop is doing 16 in his room, gorilla has 8 dual opposed now.
Pops LMS's came up pretty fast after the FV15HP at the GTG out your way. They were awesome, and yes they had more output then the FV15HP. The Rythmik did very well too though and even though the LMS's are known for low distortion, I'm always thinking in terms of, I wonder if that (pick any) sub is as low distortion / clean as the Rythmik. Thinking about it the other way really hasn't crossed my mind. One Rythmik was more than enough output for me 99.5% of the time, I think I'm pretty good to go with two.

I read that classified post you referred to, They were talking about the "infrasonics" / sub 20Hz material in that scene. I'm still thinking max extension is the way to go for that one.

Are you going to Gorilla's speaker GTG?

I thought they were referring infrasoncs, but I figured if the FV pays to 12hz in room I might somewhat of the same feeling. I mean I know two 18" sealed subs will play a lt lower than one ported 15" and maybe that is where the discrepancy comes in.

His GTG s in March right? If I am round I definitely want to make an appearance.
post #7920 of 15139
This may be a stupid question but....
For anyone with an SE piano black finish, what is safe to use to wipe the dust off of them without scratching or leaving swirl marks? I have micro fiber cloths that just "feel" too abrasive. I also have a micro fiber lens cleaning cloth which seems to be fine but it is a pretty small piece of cloth. How about a "scratch free" sheepskin chamois? The white gloves that come with piano finish subs/speakers seem to be ok but again that is a very small "cloth."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread