or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 289

post #8641 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenz1 View Post

I was all set to buy my first non htib sub yesterday but decided to hold off and research a little more. The LV12R was on my list. It was nice to see the Rythmik rep extend the sale date so hopefully Jim can finish his review.Do you think that was a coincidence? Hey Jim, I vote for moving it up.wink.gif

Anyway, I can wait for the review but I have two concerns that I would like to have info on.

1) the LV12R is buried on the website and has no pictures. I tried to look it up at work today on my phone but couldn't because you can only reach the page with a mouse over on the top subwoofer link. I did see the photos in this thread but I was wondering why it's sort of hiding on the website
2) the ordering page says there is a restocking fee if the subwoofer is used and not defective. Am i missing something here? I assumed all of the ID sub companies had free trials.

Thanks for clearing up these questions I have
pics
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/8430#post_22980190
more pics
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/8190#post_22924045
Rythmik page
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html
Installation Guide
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/download/LV12R_Installation_Guide.pdf

"
# If the product is not used and it is in a condition that it can be re-sold, you can return it within 45 days after you place the order.
# All other returns of non-defective units are subject to a restocking fee.
"

I take that to mean 45 day trial.

The LV12R is a new product so I think the web folks just don't have all the links correct. The product menu at the top is working though.
Edited by dstew100 - 3/11/13 at 5:41pm
post #8642 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenz1 View Post

I was all set to buy my first non htib sub yesterday but decided to hold off and research a little more. The LV12R was on my list. It was nice to see the Rythmik rep extend the sale date so hopefully Jim can finish his review.Do you think that was a coincidence? Hey Jim, I vote for moving it up.wink.gif

I think it was more out of generosity then anything. This isn't Brian's first rodeo so he knows I couldn't possibly get the review out in the next week, even if I was actually able to start working on it now.

Based upon the number of people interested in this sub I did hook it up again and played some music, along with trying a few scenes from the movie that has some of the most obnoxious bass there is, Tron: Legacy. I'm loath to divulge too much before I publish a review, but I can say this much; if the LV12R is on your short list you might want to seriously consider picking one up while the sale is still going on. I doubt anyone will want to avail themselves of the 45 day return policy.
post #8643 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I think it was more out of generosity then anything. This isn't Brian's first rodeo so he knows I couldn't possibly get the review out in the next week, even if I was actually able to start working on it now.

Based upon the number of people interested in this sub I did hook it up again and played some music, along with trying a few scenes from the movie that has some of the most obnoxious bass there is, Tron: Legacy. I'm loath to divulge too much before I publish a review, but I can say this much; if the LV12R is on your short list you might want to seriously consider picking one up while the sale is still going on. I doubt anyone will want to avail themselves of the 45 day return policy.

Jim,

Would you mind making some comparisons between the LV12R and its immediate family brethren, as well as its competitors you've tested in this general price range? It doesn't have to be an extensively direct comparison, but your comments here and there through the article might set the sub in proper context relative to the options on the market. I don't presume to have to tell you that most of the sub's potential customers would be doing this analysis as well, so your take in that vein would add to the value of the review. Just a suggestion.
post #8644 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post


pics
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/8430#post_22980190
more pics
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/8190#post_22924045
Rythmik page
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html
Installation Guide
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/download/LV12R_Installation_Guide.pdf

"
# If the product is not used and it is in a condition that it can be re-sold, you can return it within 45 days after you place the order.
# All other returns of non-defective units are subject to a restocking fee.
"

I take that to mean 45 day trial.

The LV12R is a new product so I think the web folks just don't have all the links correct. The product menu at the top is working though.

Thanks, but I did see the pictures in this thread. I find it odd that they didn't put any on the website though. Not everyone that is on the website looking to buy is going to want to go through over 8500 posts to look for a photo. I think putting a few photos up would be helpful. And no disrespect, but I take If the product is not used to mean if you don't try it out. If it is a trial than what exactly is the restocking fee for. I also just saw on the product page 30 day satisfaction guarantee so i'm more confused now. I am sure most of the people here already know what they want and have no intention of returning it, but I am new at this and am a little hesitant. I hope Brian can put my mind at ease and explain the exact policy.

sorry for bothering you guys and I hope you realize i'm not bashing Rythmik, just a little concerned since I'm already double my original budget. This sub looks like it would be pretty kick ass and I'm really thinking it could be near the top of my list . I am thinking that most people looking in the $500 range are probably looking at the same ones.

Thank you
post #8645 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenz1 View Post

Thanks, but I did see the pictures in this thread. I find it odd that they didn't put any on the website though. Not everyone that is on the website looking to buy is going to want to go through over 8500 posts to look for a photo. I think putting a few photos up would be helpful. And no disrespect, but I take If the product is not used to mean if you don't try it out. If it is a trial than what exactly is the restocking fee for. I also just saw on the product page 30 day satisfaction guarantee so i'm more confused now. I am sure most of the people here already know what they want and have no intention of returning it, but I am new at this and am a little hesitant. I hope Brian can put my mind at ease and explain the exact policy.

sorry for bothering you guys and I hope you realize i'm not bashing Rythmik, just a little concerned since I'm already double my original budget. This sub looks like it would be pretty kick ass and I'm really thinking it could be near the top of my list . I am thinking that most people looking in the $500 range are probably looking at the same ones.

Thank you

We started our business as selling kits. So the return policy was written for kits. For kits, as long as you don't mount them, they are absolutely like now. That 45 days is longer because we allow the customers to return them as they may change their project. Now 30 days home trial policy is for finished subs. The customer needs to pay both way shipping. But there will be no restocking fee as long as we can still sell it as B-stock . I had a beef with one customer that when I received the sub back, it is all scratched at the bottom side and we cannot sell that as B-stock. As long as customers don't do that, we are ok.
post #8646 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

Would you mind making some comparisons between the LV12R and its immediate family brethren, as well as its competitors you've tested in this general price range? It doesn't have to be an extensively direct comparison, but your comments here and there through the article might set the sub in proper context relative to the options on the market. I don't presume to have to tell you that most of the sub's potential customers would be doing this analysis as well, so your take in that vein would add to the value of the review. Just a suggestion.

This is actually the first Rythmik subwoofer I've had for review. I did hear an FV15HP at a sub GTG last October and was floored by what it was capable of, both quality and quantity wise. It was because of that I contacted Brian when the LV12R came out and requested one for review. I would actually like to have the opportunity to evaluate more of their products -- including the yet to be released L12 -- but that's up to Rythmik. I'll extend an open invite to Brian to send me anything he would like to have reviewed (well, except for the F25 perhaps - I'm not sure if my room is big enough for that beast wink.gif).

Regarding competitors... if you're referring to me comparing other companies products to the LV12R in my actual review I'm afraid I'll have to decline. Personally I never liked it when other reviewers did that, I always felt it was inappropriate and took the focus away from the product they were supposed to be highlighting. If someone asks me a question in the forum I'll certainly do my best to answer it honestly, even if it's directly comparing product A to product B, but my reviews will always be written in such a manner as to be focused solely on the product at hand.

Did you have a specific competitor in mind, or was that just a general question?
post #8647 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenz1 View Post

Thanks, but I did see the pictures in this thread. I find it odd that they didn't put any on the website though. Not everyone that is on the website looking to buy is going to want to go through over 8500 posts to look for a photo. I think putting a few photos up would be helpful. And no disrespect, but I take If the product is not used to mean if you don't try it out. If it is a trial than what exactly is the restocking fee for. I also just saw on the product page 30 day satisfaction guarantee so i'm more confused now. I am sure most of the people here already know what they want and have no intention of returning it, but I am new at this and am a little hesitant. I hope Brian can put my mind at ease and explain the exact policy.

sorry for bothering you guys and I hope you realize i'm not bashing Rythmik, just a little concerned since I'm already double my original budget. This sub looks like it would be pretty kick ass and I'm really thinking it could be near the top of my list . I am thinking that most people looking in the $500 range are probably looking at the same ones.

Thank you

Trenz1, Hopefully Brian will chime in on the trial period. I understand your concerns though. Frankly I have never heard of anyone shipping it back and I've been hanging out in here for about 8 months.

As far as the pics and links, it's just a new product. It's not like Rythmik has a team of web folks on staff down there. It's a small team that build very nice subs.

I can tell you my experience has been very good and from reading in this thread I know the customer service is provided by a top notch class fella (both of my Rythmiks have been functionally and aesthetically flawless). Every issue which has come up ITT has been addressed and several times Brian has gone above and beyond what I'd consider expected.

As far as the sub itself, clean, tight, very accurate, built like a tank, looks nice, and high value.
post #8648 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

This is actually the first Rythmik subwoofer I've had for review. I did hear an FV15HP at a sub GTG last October and was floored by what it was capable of, both quality and quantity wise. It was because of that I contacted Brian when the LV12R came out and requested one for review. I would actually like to have the opportunity to evaluate more of their products -- including the yet to be released L12 -- but that's up to Rythmik. I'll extend an open invite to Brian to send me anything he would like to have reviewed (well, except for the F25 perhaps - I'm not sure if my room is big enough for that beast wink.gif).

Regarding competitors... if you're referring to me comparing other companies products to the LV12R in my actual review I'm afraid I'll have to decline. Personally I never liked it when other reviewers did that, I always felt it was inappropriate and took the focus away from the product they were supposed to be highlighting. If someone asks me a question in the forum I'll certainly do my best to answer it honestly, even if it's directly comparing product A to product B, but my reviews will always be written in such a manner as to be focused solely on the product at hand.

Did you have a specific competitor in mind, or was that just a general question?

Totally understand your take on the angle of your reviews. There is definitely value of comparative reviews, as purchasing decisions are ultimately results of comparative deliberation. I don't have a particular competing sub or brand in mind, but since the LV12R was my first sub, I'm curious where it places comparatively. That's all. But I'll let that be a discussion for another thread and another occasion. I look forward to your take on the sub.
post #8649 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post

We started our business as selling kits. So the return policy was written for kits. For kits, as long as you don't mount them, they are absolutely like now. That 45 days is longer because we allow the customers to return them as they may change their project. Now 30 days home trial policy is for finished subs. The customer needs to pay both way shipping. But there will be no restocking fee as long as we can still sell it as B-stock . I had a beef with one customer that when I received the sub back, it is all scratched at the bottom side and we cannot sell that as B-stock. As long as customers don't do that, we are ok.

thanks, I had a feeling it would be something like this. last question. when you say The customer needs to pay both way shipping does this mean you will deduct the original shipping charge from the refund even if it was a free shipping offer. the LV12R I am interested in currently has free offer. I knew I would have to pay the return shipping. you guys seem to be pretty top notch so I am guessing no and you meant that shipping charges are not refunded for products that have them
I realize i'm being a pain but i'm counting every potential dollar spent at this point

Thanks
post #8650 of 15139
Does F12 give heavy mid chest punching??
post #8651 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremymak View Post

Does F12 give heavy mid chest punching??

The F15 can be ordered with the DS1505 driver in place of the stock DS1501. It has a couple of dB more output in the 50-100hz octave, for those desiring to be punched in the chest eek.gif
post #8652 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremymak View Post

Does F12 give heavy mid chest punching??

Actually F12 will not give you that. All of our subwoofers sound very natural. Some of the heavy mid chest punching is indication of a couple of possible problems: 1) one note bass (that all bass sound the same), boom boom boom, 2) congested bass sound. I have heard Genelec PA subwoofer that were very impressive to hear first. But as I listened a bit longer (as compared to F12 that I am so used to), I noticed the extension is chopped off below 30hz (PA subwoofers does not need go below 20hz). The mid bass emphasis is so strong, every bass sound has that boom-boom-boom flavor in there. In short, it does not sound as good when playing Enya. The goal of our subs is to reproduce very natural sound so that drums, double bass, and techno sound can clearly have their own sound texture. If customer wants to have more emphasis on the midbass, the best he can do is use our PEQ, center the frequency to 70hz or 80hz, and set the bandwidth to 3 quarter wide and set the gain to 3db gain.

A few pages back there was a post asking how to mix our subs with those from KK. I haven't heard KK, but I did hear M&K before. Since KK uses the same amp as M&K, I can imagine that they sound similar. So what does a M&K sound like? Punchy, but short note. What is how the customer feel there is a punch in the chest. When using a subwoofer with short note bass play movies with a building collapsing scene, the sound is again short note -- one boom, then it is done. But in reality, there should be ripples of after shock, so it should sound like BOOM,...little boom.. tiny boom...., which is what our sub will produce. So which one is the faithful reproduction of the bass sound? Now this customer can hear the difference from KK and while he likes some aspect of it, he does not like others. So he came up with this idea of mixing subs. I bet he is a good chef (I sorted hinted that a few posts back). All of these mixing, covering, and blah blah blah is not that what I recommend. So I don't even know how to start. He sent me email, ask in this thread. I don't think anyone has given him any guidance. On a similar note, I was told by a HK customer that several customers in HK mixing SVS with Rythmik subs so that they get the best of both worlds. "What???" I though to myself. The minimal they should is to turn on SVS only for this type of music/movies and turn on Rythmik only for that type of music/movies, not mixing them all together. I have been a critic of Gedde's subwoofers approach. I did not know there is an extra dimesion to the method. On the positive side, at least the customers can recognize the different sound from subs whereas in Gedde's approach, all subs sound alike and you just need to get the FR correct.

BTW, it is not difficult to produce a sound like M&K. A large portion of their bass sound is from the sound characteristics of RC4558 (el cheapo OP amp they used). My supplier initially used those on our amps (some 10 years ago). I spent extra length to take every one of them out. If someone is interested in that type of short note, punchy sound, maybe I can have a "special" version with RC4558 everywhere.


-
Edited by Rythmik - 3/12/13 at 6:47am
post #8653 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

Totally understand your take on the angle of your reviews. There is definitely value of comparative reviews, as purchasing decisions are ultimately results of comparative deliberation. I don't have a particular competing sub or brand in mind, but since the LV12R was my first sub, I'm curious where it places comparatively.

In the $500-$600 range it's very competitive, definitely one of the very top contenders in my opinion. It's hard to imagine anyone being dissatisfied after playing there first blu-ray movie; the bass is deep and precise.
post #8654 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Your situation might present a bit of a challenge; 3000 ft^3 is a pretty good sized room for a single 12" sub, so you may ultimately need duals to fill that much space. Since extension is more critical to you then output setting the Bass EQ switch to Low would give the most deep bass, but it might struggle to fill the room that way. A pair of them would have no trouble though.
I appreciate that. I'm glad you find them of value.

Yeah, I am skeptical that a single 12" sub will do. At this point, I'm thinking two 12" subs vs one 15" sub. I'm planning to stay around $1,000-$1,200 for one or both. Thanks for your thoughts and look forward to reading your review on the LV12R; it sure seems appealing.
post #8655 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl4004 View Post

Hahaha...I know, I was joining in on the sarcasm. The LV12R is also on my short list. I'm looking for a sub for my basement that I will be finishing this year, hopefully. It is 15x25x8 and is open to the stairway leading up to the main floor. 80% movies/20% music. I'm planning to get the sub(s) prior to the basement being finished, as I know funds will be getting tight as the construction is nearing conclusion and don't want to find myself trying to justify anything less than (at least) a $500 sub. I'd say that I'd rather have extension vs output due to my listening habits, but have never really heard a sub that hits with authority at 20hz (I'm coming from a BIC PL-200). I have been tossing around the idea of getting one (or eventually two) LV12R or getting one 15 inch sub in the $1,000 range.

I've also been checking out the similar offerings from HSU, Outlaw and PSA....but that's for another thread.

Jim - I also appreciate your reviews and have found them helpful, so thank you for your efforts.

I compared my previous Hsu VTF-3 Mk2 to the FV15HP, search my posts and you'll find it. Short version, big big upgrade in sound quality and output. Output wasn;t too shabby with the Hsu in my 18x14x8 sealed room but the ectra output let me put the sub in a morelinear place then the Hsu which needed corber loading to provide output for high volume listening.
I strongly recommend the rythmik, the extra money likely won't affect your lie as much as the better sound will.
post #8656 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post

Actually F12 will not give you that. All of our subwoofers sound very natural. Some of the heavy mid chest punching is indication of a couple of possible problems: 1) one note bass (that all bass sound the same), boom boom boom, 2) congested bass sound. I have heard Genelec PA subwoofer that were very impressive to hear first. But as I listened a bit longer (as compared to F12 that I am so used to), I noticed the extension is chopped off below 30hz (PA subwoofers does not need go below 20hz). The mid bass emphasis is so strong, every bass sound has that boom-boom-boom flavor in there. In short, it does not sound as good when playing Enya. The goal of our subs is to reproduce very natural sound so that drums, double bass, and techno sound can clearly have their own sound texture. If customer wants to have more emphasis on the midbass, the best he can do is use our PEQ, center the frequency to 70hz or 80hz, and set the bandwidth to 3 quarter wide and set the gain to 3db gain.

A few pages back there was a post asking how to mix our subs with those from KK. I haven't heard KK, but I did hear M&K before. Since KK uses the same amp as M&K, I can imagine that they sound similar. So what does a M&K sound like? Punchy, but short note. What is how the customer feel there is a punch in the chest. When using a subwoofer with short note bass play movies with a building collapsing scene, the sound is again short note -- one boom, then it is done. But in reality, there should be ripples of after shock, so it should sound like BOOM,...little boom.. tiny boom...., which is what our sub will produce. So which one is the faithful reproduction of the bass sound? Now this customer can hear the difference from KK and while he likes some aspect of it, he does not like others. So he came up with this idea of mixing subs. I bet he is a good chef (I sorted hinted that a few posts back). All of these mixing, covering, and blah blah blah is not that what I recommend. So I don't even know how to start. He sent me email, ask in this thread. I don't think anyone has given him any guidance. On a similar note, I was told by a HK customer that several customers in HK mixing SVS with Rythmik subs so that they get the best of both worlds. "What???" I though to myself. The minimal they should is to turn on SVS only for this type of music/movies and turn on Rythmik only for that type of music/movies, not mixing them all together. I have been a critic of Gedde's subwoofers approach. I did not know there is an extra dimesion to the method. On the positive side, at least the customers can recognize the different sound from subs whereas in Gedde's approach, all subs sound alike and you just need to get the FR correct.

BTW, it is not difficult to produce a sound like M&K. A large portion of their bass sound is from the sound characteristics of RC4558 (el cheapo OP amp they used). My supplier initially used those on our amps (some 10 years ago). I spent extra length to take every one of them out. If someone is interested in that type of short note, punchy sound, maybe I can have a "special" version with RC4558 everywhere.


-

Sounds tempting to me
post #8657 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post

BTW, it is not difficult to produce a sound like M&K. A large portion of their bass sound is from the sound characteristics of RC4558 (el cheapo OP amp they used). My supplier initially used those on our amps (some 10 years ago). I spent extra length to take every one of them out. If someone is interested in that type of short note, punchy sound, maybe I can have a "special" version with RC4558 everywhere.

Give up the accuracy on which you've built your business? No thanks... Let the boom-babies get a cheap sub and be done with it; I'd rather see some high-end (sound) companies stay around. As you said, they can also tweak the EQ settings to get boom if they want it.
post #8658 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl4004 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Your situation might present a bit of a challenge; 3000 ft^3 is a pretty good sized room for a single 12" sub, so you may ultimately need duals to fill that much space. Since extension is more critical to you then output setting the Bass EQ switch to Low would give the most deep bass, but it might struggle to fill the room that way. A pair of them would have no trouble though.
I appreciate that. I'm glad you find them of value.

Yeah, I am skeptical that a single 12" sub will do. At this point, I'm thinking two 12" subs vs one 15" sub. I'm planning to stay around $1,000-$1,200 for one or both. Thanks for your thoughts and look forward to reading your review on the LV12R; it sure seems appealing.

I was in the same "smaller dual subs or single big boy sub" about 8 months ago. What made up my mind is I knew I could add a second big boy within a year so I went with an FV15HP, and now I have 2. They are awesome. My initial budget was about the same but I stretched for the FV15HP and glad I did.

However if I wasn't POSITIVE I would have been able to add the second sub, I would have definitely gone with two smaller subs. There are just too many gains with multiples such as smoothing the frequency response naturally which helps reduce the amount of EQ.
post #8659 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl4004 View Post

At this point, I'm thinking two 12" subs vs one 15" sub.
That's what I would do. A pair of subs can do things that a single subwoofer cannot do. Given the choice, I would choose better bass over a better subwoofer.
post #8660 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl4004 View Post

Hahaha...I know, I was joining in on the sarcasm. The LV12R is also on my short list. I'm looking for a sub for my basement that I will be finishing this year, hopefully. It is 15x25x8 and is open to the stairway leading up to the main floor. 80% movies/20% music. I'm planning to get the sub(s) prior to the basement being finished, as I know funds will be getting tight as the construction is nearing conclusion and don't want to find myself trying to justify anything less than (at least) a $500 sub. I'd say that I'd rather have extension vs output due to my listening habits, but have never really heard a sub that hits with authority at 20hz (I'm coming from a BIC PL-200). I have been tossing around the idea of getting one (or eventually two) LV12R or getting one 15 inch sub in the $1,000 range.

I recently purchased an LV12R for my similarly sized basement room (3100 cubic feet, fully closed). I was upgrading from a Boston PV800, which from what I can tell is similar in output to the BIC PL-200. It's a 12" 300 watt ported sub, ironically the same as the LV12R. I examined the spreadsheets from Audioholics to compare what I had with what I wanted. The Boston has been a durable sub for 10 years (I always use my sound system for TV watching) but it was not really able to produce the output and extension I wanted in my new basement. My target was something on the spreadsheet that produced >100db at 20Hz whereas what I had could manage 85db at 20Hz.

The comptetitors I looked at in this price range included Outlaw, Epik and SVS (among others). What impressed me about Rythmik is that it uses a servo amplifier (a unique kind of servo at that), Brian posts all the time in this thread with advice and the reviews of the sound quality have all been glowing.

Now that I have the LV12R in my room I can see what everyone was raving about. Quality AND output. Wow it is really nice. I struggled for awhile trying to decide if I should get an F12 instead but from what I read even the ported Rythmiks are quality enough for music and when it came down to it I watch more movies than listen to music so I need the output. I actually had 2 subs running in my room before (the second was a Mirage LF100, 8" ported) to smooth the standing waves but this single Rythmik has much more output and extension than the other two combined.

I queued up one of my favorite bass scenes - SW Episode 2 when Amidala arrives on Corruscant. The LV12R was able to play the ship's engine noises/sonic boom and the explosion effortlessly where my previous subs would chuff and bottom. The explosion actually flapped my jeans and jiggled my couch! I can see the benefit in having a second sub to smooth out the standing waves but the output of this thing in my room was definitely satisfying and exactly what I was hoping for in an upgrade.

My only problem now is that I can appreciate having the extension switch in medium or high for music and low for movies so I am frequently getting up to flip that. If the LV12R didn't have the option I'd probably be blissfully ignorant but since I've heard the difference I find myself prefering different settings for different things. In the med or high extension setting it is completely satisfying for music. This is definitely not a one note subwoofer. Well done Rythmik!

post #8661 of 15139
To all FV15HP owners...

A friend of mine is interested in the FV15HP but it's too tall to fit under his screen - is there any impact on performance if he turns the sub on its side and operates it that way instead of having it upright?

TIA!
post #8662 of 15139
Give Rythmik a call..that should be an easy 30 second conversation and you get the word from their mouth.
post #8663 of 15139
Sound probably won't change but the heat sink fins in the amp will be oriented the wrong way so it may run a little warmer. Probably not a big deal for most applications.

And yeah, call or email Brian...
post #8664 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepos View Post

I compared my previous Hsu VTF-3 Mk2 to the FV15HP, ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

I was in the same "smaller dual subs or single big boy sub" about 8 months ago. What made up my mind is I knew I could add a second big boy within a year so I went with an FV15HP, and now I have 2. They are awesome. My initial budget was about the same but I stretched for the FV15HP and glad I did.

However if I wasn't POSITIVE I would have been able to add the second sub, I would have definitely gone with two smaller subs. There are just too many gains with multiples such as smoothing the frequency response naturally which helps reduce the amount of EQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

That's what I would do. A pair of subs can do things that a single subwoofer cannot do. Given the choice, I would choose better bass over a better subwoofer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobaffum View Post

I recently purchased an LV12R for my similarly sized basement room (3100 cubic feet, fully closed). ...I

Thank you all for your opinions. I'm now leaning toward two smaller subs (most liekly LV12Rs), as I know two big boys isn't in my future due to budget and WAF concerns. Shogaffum, your post really helped me with a couple of questions I was thinking, but had not asked yet. The type of improvement you experienced is just what I'm looking for currently and it's encouraging, given I'm coming from a similar original sub.
post #8665 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl4004 View Post




Thank you all for your opinions. I'm now leaning toward two smaller subs (most liekly LV12Rs), as I know two big boys isn't in my future due to budget and WAF concerns. Shogaffum, your post really helped me with a couple of questions I was thinking, but had not asked yet. The type of improvement you experienced is just what I'm looking for currently and it's encouraging, given I'm coming from a similar original sub.

I was torn for a long time on whether to go dual or single better sub. In the end I went with the better FV15HP, for a couple reasons:
I had the option to try the single sub to find a location that gave best frequency response for the listening position, and to go dual if I had to later. If you can spend the money that quickly cal Brian tro see if he'll extend the 10% off on the subs if so. Another reason, posted by Brian a while back in this string, is thta most people will be tho roughly impressed and happy even with non-oiptimal frequency response, including many wives (mineincluded). If you set it up for yourself, who is the critical listener, and get decent but maybe not optimal response for the other seats, most people will not even notice, and the extraoutput from the better sub will likely impress them more if that's what you're looking for... and if it isn;t you'll still likely give them a good experience.
That's the way I went, and I'm happy already with the sub near the middle of my rear wall, with me sitting at about 1/3 room depth closest to the sub. I doubt very much I'll go for the 2nd sub later, I'm so happy without even having dialed stuff in yet except of course for rough volume balancing.
Starting small and going dual you're trapped, trying s single, better sub gives you upgrade options. I'm very glad I went with the latter.
post #8666 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg View Post

To all FV15HP owners...

A friend of mine is interested in the FV15HP but it's too tall to fit under his screen - is there any impact on performance if he turns the sub on its side and operates it that way instead of having it upright?

TIA!

It would be perfectly fine for your friend to lay a FV15HP on its side to make it work with his screen.
post #8667 of 15139
Well, even though I wasn't really ready to purchase a sub just yet, I couldn't pass up on the sale. So, I just ordered an F12 in black matte with the silver cone driver. The photos of this setup earlier in this thread convinced me that would be a good look even though it is somewhat counter-intuitive. Matte black would tend to blend in the room better than the piano finish but then the silver cone adds the bling. Yet the pictures shows it works.

So, anyway. I have an E15 in the main room and love it. The F12 will be going in a smaller mini-theater/bedroom. Yeah, it is probably totally overkill for that room. But, the heart wants what the heart wants. smile.gif

Now, let's wait and see how the L12 turns out. There's that computer room set up that could also use a sub...eek.gif
post #8668 of 15139
Hello Brian or anyone who might have insight into my questions below.

I am interested in purchasing the LV12R - superb value and performance especially at the introductory price! I've owned the F12SE with aluminum cone for a couple of years and I love it, especially for music. From what I understand the LV12R could deliver more impact for movies, I used to have a Hsu ported sub and did notice difference in impact and maybe wanting a little more I guess, I do have F12 corner loaded by the way. I currently have two setups in separate rooms of the house, my stereo setup is original sierras - 2 channel system used exclusively for music, currently with no sub-woofer. My A/V setup is 5.1 using sierra with Nrt upgrade for LRC and ascends all around. I guess my question is basically about ported and non-ported subs, and if it is advisable to put them in the same room.

My questions:
1. What difference would be noticeable in musical performance between the F12 aluminum and the LV12R with paper cone?
2. Would it be advisable at all to put the F12 and the LV12R in the same room? Or should I wait to purchase another F12, or F15 once I can afford the extra cost?
3. I currently do 70/30 movies / music in av setup. In a year or so I will be moving to a place where I will have only one room for music and movies, so that will change to 70/30 music / movies. I'd like a bit more oomph for movies like master and commander etc. Would the LV12R be a good enough best value to feasibly combine my systems/sub-woofers at some point and have a good experience? Thanks!!
post #8669 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by realjetavenger View Post

So, I just ordered an F12 in black matte with the silver cone driver.

Please post pictures and impressions when you receive this! smile.gif
post #8670 of 15139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaaceman View Post

Please post pictures and impressions when you receive this! smile.gif

Actually, I can show you a picture right now...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/6660#post_22194326

smile.gif


Edit: here's an F15 in matte with a silver cone..

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/1170#post_19042479
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread