or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread - Page 54

post #1591 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

For the -93/-95 players, unless you require transcoding you should just turn off all transcoding in TVersity, and then the player profile becomes irrelevant.

Fair enough - then only an ultra-annoying cosmetic thing in TVersity. Still there must be a way to obtain a working/correct player ID for this new firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The -93 and -95 cannot be flashed to previous firmware revisions. This is a requirement forced by Netflix.

If one loads a buggy beta they are stuck with new flaws or even a unit that no longer functions properly? If that is true then that is a huge shortcoming, total BS actually. If I had known I never would have updated the 95 firmware. Is there not a way around this???
post #1592 of 2522
By turning on debug in TVersity I was able to see the HTTPHeader inUASubstr handshake. The BDP-95 March Beta firmware is using an "oldie but a goody"




BDP-95 ico for those interested:
post #1593 of 2522
Nice. Any chance of this finding its way into the BDP-83 firmware too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

New BDP-93 firmware is out today. Users of Handbrake please note:

Those folks using Handbrake should note that the VFR output from Handbrake should now be playable. That means if you select "same as source" for the frame rate, it should now work with the latest revision of Handbrake. Please test and report back if this is not the case.
post #1594 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdryyz View Post
Nice. Any chance of this finding its way into the BDP-83 firmware too?
Hard to say. Ask Oppo. It's a different decoder chip and it will be up to MTK to implement this.
post #1595 of 2522
I'm considering one of these, seems the price is decent:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+...&skuId=9493283

Just realizing this product was initially released back in like 2007, is it still worth the investment for setting up NAS for my full-home AV/PC streaming and management (back-up's, etc.,...)? Or is this model sort of out-of-date at this point? It seems to be a great NAS solution.

What is better for comparable price?

I'll be using Oppo BDP-95 and Marantz AV7005 pre-pro.
post #1596 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I'm considering one of these, seems the price is decent:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+...&skuId=9493283

Just realizing this product was initially released back in like 2007, is it still worth the investment for setting up NAS for my full-home AV/PC streaming and management (back-up's, etc.,...)? Or is this model sort of out-of-date at this point? It seems to be a great NAS solution.

What is better for comparable price?

I'll be using Oppo BDP-95 and Marantz AV7005 pre-pro.

I would buy the WD Mybooklive instead, much faster. I use it with my Oppo 93 and they love each other.
post #1597 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I would buy the WD Mybooklive instead, much faster. I use it with my Oppo 93 and they love each other.

this is good, thanks for your input!

Looks like a great unit. Although I was reading the review on the WD site, the reviewer notes that it provides no NAS backup features? What's that all about?
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/n...-live-reviewed
post #1598 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

this is good, thanks for your input!

Looks like a great unit. Although I was reading the review on the WD site, the reviewer notes that it provides no NAS backup features? What's that all about?
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/n...-live-reviewed

Some NASes come with some sort of automatic backup feature. The Mybooklive also comes with a backup software (they call it SmartWare) but I never installed it. You don't need it if you use other softwares to backup your data. I use Acronis but you can use Windows Backup if you wish. There are many ways to backup your files, this is no big deal.
The big difference between the Mybooklive and other cheap NASes is the speed. Only professional (and more expensive) NASes will be faster. The World Edition you mentioned is much slower and you need a fast processor to stream high bitrate blurays without stuttering.
post #1599 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Some NASes come with some sort of automatic backup feature. The Mybooklive also comes with a backup software (they call it SmartWare) but I never installed it. You don't need it if you use other softwares to backup your data. I use Acronis but you can use Windows Backup if you wish. There are many ways to backup your files, this is no big deal

backing-up data on my PC(s) is one important function I'm looking for on an NAS. So if I do get a WD- My Book Live unit I should be able to configure back-up's using SmartWare software included in package?

I'm aware there are back-up software packages that are bundled in my PC software. I have a new Dell AlienWare CPU w/WIN 7, it includes Dell "DataSafe", there is also a Windows back-up package as well. I think I'd rather start with SmartWare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

The big difference between the Mybooklive and other cheap NASes is the speed. Only professional (and more expensive) NASes will be faster. The World Edition you mentioned is much slower and you need a fast processor to stream high bitrate blurays without stuttering

I see. Are you referring to processor speed within the NAS drive itself?

Appreciate all your input.
post #1600 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

backing-up data on my PC(s) is one important function I'm looking for on an NAS. So if I do get a WD- My Book Live unit I should be able to configure back-up's using SmartWare software included in package?

I'm aware there are back-up software packages that are bundled in my PC software. I have a new Dell AlienWare CPU w/WIN 7, it includes Dell "DataSafe", there is also a Windows back-up package as well. I think I'd rather start with SmartWare.

I see. Are you referring to processor speed within the NAS drive itself?

Appreciate all your input.

As I said, I have never used the Smartware backup. Can't comment on that.
The speed is the transfer speed and processor capacity to display high bitrate HD material. Using a gigabit connection, everything hardwired, I get 45 MBps write speed on the Mybooklive. This is very good and allows the use of the NAS as a regular HDD, speed-wise. There are many consumer NAS in the market that will require 5 to 10 more time to transfer a file.
post #1601 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

The speed is the transfer speed and processor capacity to display high bitrate HD material. Using a gigabit connection, everything hardwired, I get 45 MBps write speed on the Mybooklive. This is very good and allows the use of the NAS as a regular HDD, speed-wise. There are many consumer NAS in the market that will require 5 to 10 more time to transfer a file.

I see. I will be connecting to a Cisco LinkSys-Wireless-N Gigabit Wireless Router with 4-Port Switch. Supposedly this router can provide up to 200Mbps (so hopefully at least like 50Mbps write speed for a WD MyBookLive). Should allow for streaming HD material, also FLAC files, etc.,..

Thanks
post #1602 of 2522
Can anyone using Playback with OS X (now up to version 1.7.4) with a BDP-93 or 83 tell me if they're able to stream their iTunes content (playlists, etc)? I've used Playback with my PS3 for a long time and always found it the best server software available, but if I try to stream iTunes Music to the BDP-93 it hangs whenever I try to access any music. If I turn 'iTunes Music' off under the device preferences, it works fine and I'm able to access the music through the folders. I'm guessing the 93 chokes on large music libraries (although mine is just over 50GB).
iPhoto content, on the other hand, streams just as i does to the PS3.
Is it working for anyone else?
post #1603 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

On the PC side, what DLNA server (preferably free) have folks found to work the best with the BDP-93?

Glad someone asked. We're using 'Serviio' as the main UPnP. I like the way you can select which folder it looks in. It works pretty well so far with the wireless connection.

I tried Asset also for audio and it would play 'one' song beautifully and then freeze. If I turned off the 95 and on again, it would play another song but freeze again.
post #1604 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS View Post

Device name is now "Oppo Player"


Actually, I just installed the shipping firmware, and it wouldn't see any of the tracks on the UPNP server (Asset), which had all worked with the beta. Took a while, and found that "Oppo Player" as the device name doesn't work. However, "OPPO PLAYER" does - i.e. I'm not sure if the case of the device name has changed, but the device name is now all caps - and Asset seems to be case sensitive.
post #1605 of 2522
After months of looking around and reading some of the posts we have decided to go with Synology DS411+ to use with our OPPO BDP95. But today we heard that QNAP is coming out with TS-X59 Pro II line which have USB3.0 and SATA3. All we know is that Synology NASs are DLNA certified and work well with the OPPOs (BDP93 & 95) but QNAP on the other hand is not DLNA certified. So to all of you that are experts in using NASs, do we need a DLNA certified NAS to be able to stream media with the OPPO BDP95 or will QNAP with Twonky do? Any help would be appreciated as we are new to streaming via NAS!

Under "rainy" Seattle skies, Gill
post #1606 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS View Post

Actually, I just installed the shipping firmware, and it wouldn't see any of the tracks on the UPNP server (Asset), which had all worked with the beta. Took a while, and found that "Oppo Player" as the device name doesn't work. However, "OPPO PLAYER" does - i.e. I'm not sure if the case of the device name has changed, but the device name is now all caps - and Asset seems to be case sensitive.


Current User Agent Stings using latest firmware as of Mar 31, 2011:

BDP-83 = "OPPO PLAYER"
BDP-93/95 = "IPI/1.0"

I prefer them to be different, that way I can distinguish between them name-wise and icon-wise on my DNLA server. I really hope Oppo continues to keep them unique.
post #1607 of 2522
Some comments on my new BDP-95:

Apparently the decoder for DVD-Audio has changed. Some discs that played perfectly fine with my BDP-83 are horrible with the BDP-95 (track slows suddenly with static ...)! Also, playback with the 95 of DVD-A often doesn't show the track timer advance from zero in either the front-panel display or the on-screen display!

While wav is now supported via USB media playback, including 5.1, the channel mapping is horribly wrong in the decoding of 5.1. Also with USB media playback, if the sampling frequency changes, there is a fairly loud relay "click" that is heard.

So unless there is some simple resolution for the DVD-A decoding issue, I'll be returning this unit.
(I did side-by-side comparisons with the 83 with identical config. settings).
post #1608 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron77 View Post

(I did side-by-side comparisons with the 83 with identical config. settings).

I can't contribute any insite to your problem, but there's a good chance it's a setting problem. There is no 1:1 relationship between settings for the 83 and your new BDP-95. It would help if you posted in the BDP-95 owner's thread.

Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread

It may help you get answers more quickly if you detail your source material, settings, cabling setup, and your components for the 95 owners who will probably have some suggestions.

If what you are describing has been reported by anyone else I've missed it.
post #1609 of 2522
I have noticed a peculiarity in the 95 when using a UPNP server (Asset in this instance). If I transcode flac to pcm, all tracks in a folder (generally an album) will play one after another in the proper track listing order. However, if I change the settings in Asset to do no transcoding to FLAC files and to play them as is... once a track is done playing it goes back to the album folder menu view (since this is the selection menu I use). Anybody else having the same issues? How can I correct this and allow flac files to play one after each other like it does when I am transcoding FLAC to PCM?
post #1610 of 2522
Hi,

If anyone is having issue on the BDP-95 playing FLAC's ripped from HDCD CD's all the way to completion, please let Oppo know. For me play comes to a dead stop at some point after a tracks half way point then the next track starts. Issue occurs with DNLA. FLAC's ripped from 'standard' CD's play fine.
post #1611 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac8d4 View Post

I have noticed a peculiarity in the 95 when using a UPNP server (Asset in this instance). If I transcode flac to pcm, all tracks in a folder (generally an album) will play one after another in the proper track listing order. However, if I change the settings in Asset to do no transcoding to FLAC files and to play them as is... once a track is done playing it goes back to the album folder menu view (since this is the selection menu I use). Anybody else having the same issues? How can I correct this and allow flac files to play one after each other like it does when I am transcoding FLAC to PCM?

A somewhat similar situation here, maybe not. First of all, the issue I'm experiencing is identical regardless whether I play FLAC "as is" or transcode as LPCM. Here is what is happening: when I chose the Album/Artist it initially sees all the tracks under a particular Album and plays them one after the other. However, if I try to go back to the menu and let's say try to pick a different album, it then sees no tracks inside any albums. At that point when the currently playing track ends it won't move on to the next one anymore. Having said that, I can still pull up all the tracks if I click on Title and they will play one after the other, but unless I restart Asset it won't show any tracks under Album/Artist.

I spoke to Oppo, they're saying that it most likly on their end, more specifically not currently being DLNA certified. Supposedly, once they become certified things will improve.

I also, tested J River and Mezzmo. Oppo told me that Foobar is the one they recommend. I liked Asset since it allows to stream in 24 bit without transcoding, others can't do it and stream in 16 bit PCM.
Not sure where to go next.
post #1612 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytty View Post
Surround LPCM 96/24 over UPnP only works for files having a 'native' channel configuration of 5.0 (FL, RF, C, SL, SR), 4.0 (FL, FR, SL, SR) 3.0(FL,C,FR). All other 5.1 files have 'nails on chalkboard' effects added.

It seems obvious that this particular UNnP LPCM playback chain doesn't like the LFE channel. Regardless of delivery mechanism (local file, UPnP) the LPCM headers specify the channel configuration, and there are different bit values to signify 4.0, 5.0, 5.1 etc. As Foobar streams the same files to other devices correctly, this is almost certainly a problem in the Oppo BDP-83. A simple workaround (for Foobar) would be to simply drop the LFE channel - and I've proposed that to Foobar if Oppo doesn't squash what should be a simple deterent to UPnP streamed LPCM 5.1 playback.

I will investigate this issue further if Oppo maintains that they are processing LPCM headers correctly. In any event, even if Foobar developers don't play ball, PS3 developers might make the change to allow 7.1/5.1 --> 5.0 downmixing. At least I can access that source code.

Configuration: (see attached image)

1. Oppo BDP-83 with latest firmware (Feb 1, 2011 BDP83-54-0130B)
2. Foobar (v1.1.2) with UPNP server (Foobar module foo_upnp 0.99.29)
3. Foobar setup - No DSP modules applied, set streaming profile to 'oppo'
4. Onkyo TX-SR 805 --> (my custom designed speakers)

Any 'cutouts' are likely due to network issues (ie your Wireless LAN). Playback with 4.0/96/24 from powerful desktop over 802.11n was flawless. Playback from 'thin ULV CPU' laptop over 802.11n with 5.0/96/24 had 3 <1 second 'hiccups' over a 17 minute FLAC file. These hiccups may have been an issue with the laptop CPU and/or HDD access. I'm certain any reasonable computer and network will support this feature - but start your troubleshooting by hooking up to the network with a cable!

Foobar configuration details:

1. [OPEN] Preferences>Tools>UPnP>Server>Streaming Profiles
2. [SET] 'Select profile to edit'>New
3. [SET] Use profile when 'User-Agent' contain 'oppo'
4. [SET] Samplerate range '44,100' to '192000'
5. [SET] Max bit depth '24'
6. [SET] 'Stereo Only' to 'unchecked'
7. [SET] "Decoding to PCM">Decode 'always' to 'lpcm'
8. [SET] "Audio processsing"> 'Active DSPs' is
9. [SET] "Apply"
10. Configure Foobar media library under 'Preferences' to include 5.0/4.0 files

Oppo Playback
[PRESS] "Home" button on remote
[OPEN] 'My Network'
[OPEN] 'Foobar' (or whatever appears to be your Foobar UPnP server)
[OPEN] 'Media Library'
[OPEN] 'Folders' - Last entry in the list within 'Media Library'
[SELECT] PCM file that corresponds to your 5.0/4.0 file

Note that Foobar sends the file's tag info as the file name if that's populated.

If connected via Analog you will hear music through all channels.

If connected via HDMI, receiver will not display the LFE symbol in your speaker setup icons during playback of 5.0/4.0/3.0 files. Also, via HDMI, 'Display' button on your receiver reveals frequency sample rate and channel configuration of "4.0" , "5.0" or "3.0". Other users can use their bit output methods to confirm this feature, or do some network packet streaming to capture the UPnP output.

For the ultimate proof, your ears will certainly tell you if the music is 'sweet as sally' or 'corrupted with digital demons' (trademark). For your ears sakes, if you test with 5.1 files...please start at a low volume or risk an immediate case of tinnitus (it's that bad).

P.S. Could someone post a link to this in the general Oppo BDP-83 user's forum? I was banned from that forum for being 'disruptive' and perhaps questioning too persistently. @Moderators: sometimes stubborn people can be useful.

Update from Oppo
Oppo's statement regarding fact that surround is possible but limited by "LPCM header channel interleaving bit assignment processing bug":



Note that I was pressing Oppo to commit to fixing this bug. Their response falls short but in developer speak it's mild encouragement. Call or email Oppo if you want to mildly (or otherwise) encourage them (beer offers never hurt).
I am having issues with 96 and 192/24-bit kHz FLAC. I followed these instructions and get nothing but static on the Oppo BDP-83 with the latest firmware. The test files were downloaded from 2L and include 2.0 and 5.1 samples. 44.1/16-bit kHz FLAC and WAV works. I am using foobar2000 v1.1.15 and foo_upnp.dll v0.99.32.

I have logging enabled in the plugin and did a search for 'error' and this is the only thing that was found:

42.198: PLT_HttpServerSocketTask::Write(348)/5008: WARNING: NPT_CHECK failed, result=-20401 (NPT_ERROR_CONNECTION_ABORTED) [(NPT_StreamToStreamCopy( *body_stream.AsPointer(), *output_stream.AsPointer(), 0, entity->GetContentLength(), 0, abort))]
post #1613 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by moglia View Post

Hi,

If anyone is having issue on the BDP-95 playing FLAC's ripped from HDCD CD's all the way to completion, please let Oppo know. For me play comes to a dead stop at some point after a tracks half way point then the next track starts. Issue occurs with DNLA. FLAC's ripped from 'standard' CD's play fine.

Using the free sample 24/96 flac files from HDTracks, with Twonky server, I was able to play the flac files fine on the BDP93, and the pre-pro confirmed they we're coming in at 96khz.

Are those working for you?
post #1614 of 2522
I have not been able to get the Oppo 93 to recognize my home network. I am using the foobar2000 media server and I have configured it the way I think it should be but I have no results. I have been reading this thread but it seems to be a bit over my head. This is my first experience DLNA. Thanks for any help.
post #1615 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanderson View Post

I have not been able to get the Oppo 93 to recognize my home network. I am using the foobar2000 media server and I have configured it the way I think it should be but I have no results. I have been reading this thread but it seems to be a bit over my head. This is my first experience DLNA. Thanks for any help.

See if the links here are of any help: How do I get DLNA working?

-Bill
post #1616 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

See if the links here are of any help: How do I get DLNA working?

-Bill

Thanks Bill for the link. I will try that.
post #1617 of 2522
I asked the question last July and did a search of this thread to see if there are any updates/fixes on why WMA files on my PC server do not appear on the Oppo.

Other file types like MP3 show up but no WMA file types. When the very same files are copied onto a USB drive they work wonderfully but over DLNA all you get are "empty" folders.

I have not asked Oppo support to get the "official" answer hoping someone knew the reasons here but if I have to bother those guys I can....
post #1618 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post

I asked the question last July and did a search of this thread to see if there are any updates/fixes on why WMA files on my PC server do not appear on the Oppo.

Other file types like MP3 show up but no WMA file types. When the very same files are copied onto a USB drive they work wonderfully but over DLNA all you get are "empty" folders.

I have not asked Oppo support to get the "official" answer hoping someone knew the reasons here but if I have to bother those guys I can....

What servers have you tried? I get WMA with Twonky.

-Bill
post #1619 of 2522
Only the sharing option on Windows XP. The Oppo does not recognize WMA files but my Denon 4310 does. For grins I also setup my laptop to share files and while both the Oppo and Denon can see both servers, only the Denon can play the WMA files on both PCs. The laptop, using Windows Media Player, has no trouble playing the WMA files on the tower where I elected to rip and store the CDs.

I am not using a third party server application (and did not think I had to...).
post #1620 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post

Only the sharing option on Windows XP. The Oppo does not recognize WMA files but my Denon 4310 does. For grins I also setup my laptop to share files and while both the Oppo and Denon can see both servers, only the Denon can play the WMA files on both PCs. The laptop, using Windows Media Player, has no trouble playing the WMA files on the tower where I elected to rip and store the CDs.

I am not using a third party server application (and did not think I had to...).

I haven't used it but I recall assorted complaints about the Window Media server here. I think most people are using other things.

-Bill
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread