or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread - Page 72

post #2131 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post

Ok thanks. And thanks Bill for your FAQ - I found that before I found this thread. I'm unable to try things at this point because my CB III is off being upgraded to the CB III HD. I was trying to start dealing with my collection of 300 or so old and antiquated DVDs in the interim. I suspect that blows through the 2TB maximum on attached media storage if I stick with my no compression mantra (NTSC DVD is bad enough as it is)...
And now I need to go find out what a BDMV folder is...

You can attach multiple 2TB USB drives via an inexpensive hub. I have three 2TB drives attached to my 93 to store my music and movies. However, for music, I still prefer using a DLNA server (I use Twonky and MediaMonkey and sometimes Foobar) for the expanded capabilities to create playlists and organize and display files by genre, artist, ratings, etc. versus the 93's rather basic interface.
post #2132 of 2522
Am I missing something here? I stream MKV's all the time via my Oppo 80, with DTS-HD and TrueHD with no problem what so ever. I use Serviio however. I have no issues even when some of the stuff hits over 30Mbps. I refuse to believe my lower grade Oppo-80 can do it, but the bigger brother cannot.
post #2133 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

From my understanding UMS (previously known as PMS or PS3 Media Server) claims to be able to bitstream TrueHD and DST-MA inside MKVs now...
http://www.universalmediaserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63

Is it bitstreaming TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, or transcoding to PCM? Can someone using UMS confirm this works with the Oppo 9x players?
post #2134 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper359 View Post

Am I missing something here? I stream MKV's all the time via my Oppo 80, with DTS-HD and TrueHD with no problem what so ever. I use Serviio however. I have no issues even when some of the stuff hits over 30Mbps. I refuse to believe my lower grade Oppo-80 can do it, but the bigger brother cannot.

Are you sure it's not converting the audio? I have had bad luck trying HD audio in MKV on locally attached storage.

-Bill
post #2135 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper359 View Post

Am I missing something here? I stream MKV's all the time via my Oppo 80, with DTS-HD and TrueHD with no problem what so ever. I use Serviio however. I have no issues even when some of the stuff hits over 30Mbps. I refuse to believe my lower grade Oppo-80 can do it, but the bigger brother cannot.

DTS-HD MA and TrueHD within MKV containers are not supported in the Oppo 9x players. Are you sure you're not getting the DTS core and DD streams instead?
post #2136 of 2522
It used to convert to LPCM. It was just recently upgraded (within the last week) to bitstream the TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. I have not tried it myself, but that is what SubJunk (the developer) is claiming. If it in fact is not working, let SubJunk know in the UMS forums so he can fix it.

The reason why PMS/UMS never bitstreamed them before was because the PS3 couldn't handle those formats.
post #2137 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

It used to convert to LPCM. It was just recently upgraded (within the last week) to bitstream the TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. I have not tried it myself, but that is what SubJunk (the developer) is claiming. If it in fact is not working, let SubJunk know in the UMS forums so he can fix it.
The reason why PMS/UMS never bitstreamed them before was because the PS3 couldn't handle those formats.

That's reason enough to try UMS again. I had stopped using PS3 Media Server because Twonky was working flawlessly for me, but if it can bitstream the HD audio codecs in MKV containers to the Oppo, it's worth giving it a try again.
post #2138 of 2522
Is there a default profile for 93 on UMS that doesn't transcode anything like we want or is it made for PS3?
post #2139 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslan1 View Post

Is there a default profile for 93 on UMS that doesn't transcode anything like we want or is it made for PS3?

Yes, it's already built into the installation file. You don't have to do anything but install UMS.
post #2140 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You need to try it both ways. You can put some files on a small USB device and test it locally. The user interface is the same on both, and very basic. No, it's unlikely you'll see anything better from OPPO.
I test DLNA but use temporary local storage more often. I keep an archive offline and have a 1TB bare drive that I move between the computer and player. Those popup-toaster enclosures are very handy, you just move the drive itself. It's primitive but suits my modest needs. 1TB is a lot of pending material to watch.
Twonky is also the DLNA server I use.
-Bill

Another dumb question. For attached media (rather than NAS/DLNA) can one use an eSata drive?
post #2141 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You need to try it both ways. You can put some files on a small USB device and test it locally. The user interface is the same on both, and very basic. No, it's unlikely you'll see anything better from OPPO.
I test DLNA but use temporary local storage more often. I keep an archive offline and have a 1TB bare drive that I move between the computer and player. Those popup-toaster enclosures are very handy, you just move the drive itself. It's primitive but suits my modest needs. 1TB is a lot of pending material to watch.
Twonky is also the DLNA server I use.
-Bill

Another dumb question. For attached media (rather than NAS/DLNA) can one use an eSata drive?

Yes, although USB is more popular. It is fast enough for current uses and you can hot plug new devices. With eSATA you have to reboot the player when changing discs.

-Bill
post #2142 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper359 View Post

Am I missing something here? I stream MKV's all the time via my Oppo 80, with DTS-HD and TrueHD with no problem what so ever. I use Serviio however. I have no issues even when some of the stuff hits over 30Mbps. I refuse to believe my lower grade Oppo-80 can do it, but the bigger brother cannot.
It seems plausible that the 80's ethernet hardware supports higher bandwidth than the 83. My experience with the 83 is consistent with at least one other poster and OPPO support who stated a max bandwidth of ~22 Mbps. However, I would like to be wrong - any 83 users have success with streaming higher bitrate files?
post #2143 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

The user interface is the same on both, and very basic. No, it's unlikely you'll see anything better from OPPO.

I'm surprised, when there are guys out there that can code something like XBMC etc, that no one has decided to write a more comprehensive user interface that grabs artwork, IMDB info etc and presented it to Oppo for licensing. That sort of software is not their core competency and I can see why they only offer a primitive product, but I can imagine them readily grabbing hold of a professionally built product that offers their customers a much better experience. There's money to be made there by an enterprising individual......
post #2144 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

That's reason enough to try UMS again. I had stopped using PS3 Media Server because Twonky was working flawlessly for me, but if it can bitstream the HD audio codecs in MKV containers to the Oppo, it's worth giving it a try again.

See below from the latest release notes:

Changes since 1.1.0:
General:
Fixed memory buffer handling
Added LPCM transcoding option for all audio tracks
Added DTS HD-MA support up to 7.1 channels: DTS core remux, LPCM and AC3 transcoding
Added Dolby TrueHD support up to 7.1 channels: LPCM (recommended) and AC3 (buggy for 7.1) transcoding
Added support for more rare audio formats
Updated documentation in UMS.conf
Languages:
Improved English settings labels
Fixed spacing across all languages on the "Common transcode settings" page
Improved Russian translations
Removed outdated translations
Fixed display of maximum transcode buffer size in 5 languages (ca, es, is, it, sv)
Improved support for RTL languages
post #2145 of 2522
Hi - can someone please point me to how to capture playback stream from foobar2000? Seems the question is asked several times, but I am not able to locate precise answer.
I can browse through other folders via oppo, and playback songs that are there in "folders" on my laptop.
UPnP plugin version - 0.99.40
checkbox "Always use the default streaming profile" - have turned it on.
foobar version - 1.1.7
post #2146 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post

Hi - can someone please point me to how to capture playback stream from foobar2000? Seems the question is asked several times, but I am not able to locate precise answer.
I can browse through other folders via oppo, and playback songs that are there in "folders" on my laptop.
UPnP plugin version - 0.99.40
checkbox "Always use the default streaming profile" - have turned it on.
foobar version - 1.1.7

If it's not working, a couple things you might try. In the Playback Stream Capture setting in the Streaming Profile, try using lpcm codec, rather than wav. Also, you may need to change the Output Device in the Playback Output settings to a default device for your pc's soundcard. I believe some people were having problems if they were using WASAPI or some other type of device.

I typically use direct streaming from folders, not playback stream capture to my Oppo, but I just checked and it was working with the streaming profile I have set up for my Oppo.
post #2147 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

If it's not working, a couple things you might try. In the Playback Stream Capture setting in the Streaming Profile, try using lpcm codec, rather than wav. Also, you may need to change the Output Device in the Playback Output settings to a default device for your pc's soundcard. I believe some people were having problems if they were using WASAPI or some other type of device.
I typically use direct streaming from folders, not playback stream capture to my Oppo, but I just checked and it was working with the streaming profile I have set up for my Oppo.

thanks. I changed to LPCM and it worked. Came here to share the news.
Wow, you have already told what is the solution. I am loving this forum and people here.

Edit - I too suspected the output. Output to my laptop speakers has stopped working for some reason.
It was WASAPI but I have now changed it to Null Output and it is still working.
post #2148 of 2522
Great, glad it worked.
post #2149 of 2522
Haven't checked in for a while but wanted to thank SubJunk and counsil for the work on UMS. I used it to stream a DVD I'd ripped as a VIDEO_TS file the other day and it worked flawlessly. And it's really nice to have the 93 profile working "out of the box".
The only problem I have with UMS is a problem I've had with all versions on PMS for as long as I can remember: if I point it at a folder full of FLAC files I always get TWO versions of each file, one FLAC and one MPEG (which would be transcoded). I've never been able to figure out how to make it display and play just the FLAC files.
post #2150 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post

thanks. I changed to LPCM and it worked. Came here to share the news.
Wow, you have already told what is the solution. I am loving this forum and people here.
Edit - I too suspected the output. Output to my laptop speakers has stopped working for some reason.
It was WASAPI but I have now changed it to Null Output and it is still working.

Once UMS is configured (checked LPCM and DTS stracks), do you then just select the MKV unencoded, or select a stream (multiple encoder options) that are listed when navigating on the Oppo?

I tried playing the last Harrry Potter film and it froze....

Thanks,

Bugman
Edited by lawsondl - 7/29/12 at 9:09am
post #2151 of 2522
Hi

New over here, I just bought a Synology DS1512+ and can not get .srt subtitles working with mkv files on Oppo 93.

Is it a way to subtitle works over Synology Dlna?

Thanks

Max
post #2152 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmstos View Post

Hi

New over here, I just bought a Synology DS1512+ and can not get .srt subtitles working with mkv files on Oppo 93.

Is it a way to subtitle works over Synology Dlna?

Thanks

Max

Embedded subtitles should work. I don't think DLNA supports external subtitle files. Maybe some servers mux them into the stream? I don't know.

-Bill
post #2153 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Embedded subtitles should work. I don't think DLNA supports external subtitle files. Maybe some servers mux them into the stream? I don't know.
-Bill

Thanks Bill,

Actually embedded subs works, I will try at synology support to see if something can be done.

Oppo´s support also says it does not work, what a same.

I would like to try the benefit of a better 32 bits image that my media player does not have, on my Ptae7000

It might work with some dlan servers like Serviio or Twonky, I don´t know.

Best Regards

Max
post #2154 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmstos View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Embedded subtitles should work. I don't think DLNA supports external subtitle files. Maybe some servers mux them into the stream? I don't know.
-Bill

Thanks Bill,

Actually embedded subs works, I will try at synology support to see if something can be done.

Oppo´s support also says it does not work, what a same.

I would like to try the benefit of a better 32 bits image that my media player does not have, on my Ptae7000

It might work with some dlan servers like Serviio or Twonky, I don´t know.

Best Regards

Max

No external subtitles with Twonky. I've never heard of it working anywhere with DLNA. Let us know if you find something.

External subtitles are easy to embed with mkvmerge. It requires making a new copy of the file but runs fast.

External subtitles are supported on directly attached storage, by the way.

-Bill
post #2155 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

No external subtitles with Twonky. I've never heard of it working anywhere with DLNA. Let us know if you find something.
External subtitles are easy to embed with mkvmerge. It requires making a new copy of the file but runs fast.
External subtitles are supported on directly attached storage, by the way.
-Bill

Thanks again Bill.

I use the usb of Oppo with subs with no problem, but having a Nas it is not the best option, also the Synology has an app you can add the subtitle with it.

I will contact them and let you know

Max
post #2156 of 2522
Here is the answer of Synology support

Thank you for contacting Synology Support.

The specification for DLNA does not have support for external subtitle files, some DLNA servers that perform transcoding are able to handle external subtitles. If your player supports playback via SMB or NFS, then you may be able to get the external subtitles to work on your media player by accessing the media via those protocols. Otherwise you would need to encode your videos with the subtitles built in.
post #2157 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsondl View Post

Once UMS is configured (checked LPCM and DTS stracks), do you then just select the MKV unencoded, or select a stream (multiple encoder options) that are listed when navigating on the Oppo?
I tried playing the last Harrry Potter film and it froze....
Thanks,
Bugman
I tried only 2 channel music.
post #2158 of 2522
Hi - I'm new to this thread. I searched it but didn't find anything.

I'm running an Oppo BDP-93 and I'm trying to stream Canon camera videos to it. My normal DLNA server is oShare, which does no transcoding.

The camera videos my camera produces are Apple QuickTime SOWT Little Endian PCM.

I managed to stream them but my solution was not very practical.

It requires remuxing them as AVIs with the video converted to XVID - a variety of MP4. (It doesn't matter whether the audio in that package is big or little endian PCM - it works either way. I used FFCoder to do it.)

The problem is that it takes an hour and a half to convert an 11 minute video on my old 2Ghz dual core AMD-based Dell with 4GB of memory, running XP Pro SP3.

Can anyone here suggest an XP-compatible DLNA server that can do that transcode for the Oppo on the fly in real-time?

-Phil
post #2159 of 2522
Transcoding on the fly consumes the same amount of PC resources as re-encoding files does.
post #2160 of 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Transcoding on the fly consumes the same amount of PC resources as re-encoding files does.

So you're saying that with my present equipment, it can't be done? Canon cameras are very popular - surely someone here has some suggestion other than to do an overnight transcode whenever I create a new video clip - or buy a more powerful pc.

Maybe someone has found another format that will work and not take as long to process? I tried straight pass-through, but the Oppo refused to play it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread