or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › IMAX theaters subs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IMAX theaters subs

post #1 of 61
Thread Starter 
what kind of subs or frequencies do they run?
post #2 of 61
http://www.in70mm.com/newsletter/199...ound/index.htm
http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/filmnotes/imax.html
You can check those out to see how the sound works. This comes up now and then when really impresive movies are out. If you search I am sure you will find some other info as well here.
post #3 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by oikos View Post

what kind of subs or frequencies do they run?

Here is a link to 1 IMAX that has a Danley system in it (Mains and subs)

http://blog.svconline.com/briefingro...ma-experience/
post #4 of 61
The two IMAX theaters near myself are located in Jordan's furniture stores. I was extremely impressed with the tactile sensation of the bass until I realized that these theaters employed Buttkickers (1 for every three seats). While I was still impressed this leads me to believe that their subs weren't as scary as I had imagined. It also pushed me to install some tactile transduction in my own theater.
post #5 of 61
From what I understand their subs only extend to about 20Hz.

But having Buttkickers would have the same net effect below that. I wish the Imax theaters near me had them.
post #6 of 61
The new smaller digital IMAX locations showing up in multiplexes are using Eminence drivers in the subs. The location I work at has 4 cabinets coupled together with 4 Eminence drivers. The subs are driven with a Yorkville amp each pair receives roughly 3000 watts.
post #7 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post


But having Buttkickers would have the same net effect below that. (

No pun intended, eh?
post #8 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post

Here is a link to 1 IMAX that has a Danley system in it (Mains and subs)

http://blog.svconline.com/briefingro...ma-experience/

"The TH-50 actually challenged the sample rate of the FFT analyzer being used in the final testing in that due to the combination of cabinets and room gain we are flat to 10Hz!"

OMG! 10HZ
post #9 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

From what I understand their subs only extend to about 20Hz.

But having Buttkickers would have the same net effect below that. I wish the Imax theaters near me had them.

Missed it by an octave....the Imax standard reference is -3dB@40Hz!
During the commissioning of the OMNIMAX project in Chicago, the Dolby folks spent considerable time trying to figure out what was wrong with their analyzers. The issue was they were measuring flat to 20Hz and when they brought that apparent error up to the contractor Tim Olgletree of Media Merge, Tim said welcome to Danley!


Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.
post #10 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedden View Post

Missed it by an octave....the Imax standard reference is -3dB@40Hz!
During the commissioning of the OMNIMAX project in Chicago, the Dolby folks spent considerable time trying to figure out what was wrong with their analyzers. The issue was they were measuring flat to 20Hz and when they brought that apparent error up to the contractor Tim Olgletree of Media Merge, Tim said welcome to Danley!


Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

Nice!
post #11 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

From what I understand their subs only extend to about 20Hz.


But having Buttkickers would have the same net effect below that. I wish the Imax theaters near me had them.

Only extend down to 20hz.
post #12 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by oikos View Post

"The TH-50 actually challenged the sample rate of the FFT analyzer being used in the final testing in that due to the combination of cabinets and room gain we are flat to 10Hz!"


OMG! 10HZ

I doubt that very many people are subjected to 10 hz content at their local theaters and probably never will. All kinds of lawsuit could arise against theater chains of that was going, especially in this litigious society.
post #13 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I doubt that very many people are subjected to 10 hz content at their local theaters and probably never will. All kinds of lawsuit could arise against theater chains of that was going, especially in this litigious society.

LOL at bumping a two year old thread to take another dig at ULF bass.

You're a riot.
post #14 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post

LOL at bumping a two year old thread to take another dig at ULF bass.
You're a riot.

Well, we are always told to do a forum search before starting a new thread. Would you have me start a new thread convering this same topic? If I did, I would still be considered a troll by you.smile.gif
Edited by Auditor55 - 8/10/12 at 10:25am
post #15 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post

LOL at bumping a two year old thread to take another dig at ULF bass.
You're a riot.

Well, we are always told to do a forum search before starting a new thread. Would you have me start a new thread convering this same topic? If I did, I would still be considered a troll by you.smile.gif

I don't think many people "consider" you a troll. We can hear you a mile away. No badass amp or speakers needed.

butter and jelly please.
post #16 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I doubt that very many people are subjected to 10 hz content at their local theaters and probably never will. All kinds of lawsuit could arise against theater chains of that was going, especially in this litigious society.

rolleyes.gif
post #17 of 61
Why the Ad hominem attacks.

Why not deal with the subject at hand. I wonder why why most commericial theaters, includinging IMAX, that have subs that "only" go down to 20hz? There's is a reason for that which haven't been explained in this thread.
post #18 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Why the Ad hominem attacks.
Why not deal with the subject at hand. I wonder why why most commericial theaters, includinging IMAX, that have subs that "only" go down to 20hz? There's is a reason for that which haven't been explained in this thread.

1.) Would cost a small fortune to pressurize a room the size of your normal theater.

2.) Sound/ structural noise bleeding over to neighboring screening rooms.
post #19 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Why the Ad hominem attacks.
Why not deal with the subject at hand. I wonder why why most commericial theaters, includinging IMAX, that have subs that "only" go down to 20hz? There's is a reason for that which haven't been explained in this thread.

Because it would be very expensive for these large spaces, and most Americans are not bass heads. That said with more and more movies being made with ULF content, we may see more theaters that can extend with authority under 20hz pop up.

I know I would pay a little more to get better sound when I go to the theater.

You crack me up about the lawsuits. I suppose you think people should sue the theater if they get a headache from 3D?
post #20 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I doubt that very many people are subjected to 10 hz content at their local theaters and probably never will. All kinds of lawsuit could arise against theater chains of that was going, especially in this litigious society.
I realize people can sue anybody for anything, but on what grounds would someone sue a theater if they were subjected to 10 Hz content? Temporary nausea? rolleyes.gif

I suppose if someone experienced a "brown note" during that content, the rest of the theater patrons could sue for pain and suffering. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Craig
Edited by craig john - 8/11/12 at 3:13pm
post #21 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

I suppose if someone experienced a "brown note" during that content, the rest of the theater patrons could sue for pain and suffering. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif :DCraig

eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #22 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Why the Ad hominem attacks.
Why not deal with the subject at hand. I wonder why why most commericial theaters, includinging IMAX, that have subs that "only" go down to 20hz? There's is a reason for that which haven't been explained in this thread.

Here you are once again trying to find some excuse to bolster your opinion about sub-20Hz content, when all it does is demonstrate that you are ignorant about the practical realities as mentioned by Matt34. And you wonder why people make ad hominem attacks against you.
post #23 of 61
On another unrelated note, the Danley TH 50 no longer exists on their website. Did it get replaced by a different model?
post #24 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post

1.) Would cost a small fortune to pressurize a room the size of your normal theater.
2.) Sound/ structural noise bleeding over to neighboring screening rooms.

Good points.
post #25 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchong View Post

Here you are once again trying to find some excuse to bolster your opinion about sub-20Hz content, when all it does is demonstrate that you are ignorant about the practical realities as mentioned by Matt34. And you wonder why people make ad hominem attacks against you.

I don't wonder why people make ad hominem attacks against me, I know why they do it. They do it for the same reason most people use ad hominen attacks, they can't handle the truth of the subject matter, so they attack the messenger instead of the message.
post #26 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchong View Post

Here you are once again trying to find some excuse to bolster your opinion about sub-20Hz content, when all it does is demonstrate that you are ignorant about the practical realities as mentioned by Matt34. And you wonder why people make ad hominem attacks against you.

I don't wonder why people make ad hominem attacks against me, I know why they do it. They do it for the same reason most people use ad hominen attacks, they can't handle the truth of the subject matter, so they attack the messenger instead of the message.

"To be honest, I really don't even think about, not at all. At over 8,000 post and counting, I don't think about it all."

Just thought I would throw that in there. Smdh. That is you BTW. Lol.

butter and jelly please.
post #27 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I don't wonder why people make ad hominem attacks against me, I know why they do it. They do it for the same reason most people use ad hominen attacks, they can't handle the truth of the subject matter, so they attack the messenger instead of the message.

When the messenger keeps repeating certain messages, in spite of arguments to the contrary or without knowing the full facts behind things, then that demonstrates a certain level of thick-headedness. The messenger thinks he knows the truth of the subject matter when in fact he doesn't. In such cases the messenger deserves what he gets.
post #28 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchong View Post

When the messenger keeps repeating certain messages, in spite of arguments to the contrary or without knowing the full facts behind things, then that demonstrates a certain level of thick-headedness. The messenger thinks he knows the truth of the subject matter when in fact he doesn't. In such cases the messenger deserves what he gets.

Show me in the forum rules where any kind of personal attacks, for whatever reason, are allowed.
post #29 of 61
Also, if they are facts to be considered, please share them. I have yet to read where this forum doesn't allow facts be shared.
post #30 of 61
Fact, the LFE channel of a dolby system is 3-120 hz. Many movies contain ULFs. Big commercial theaters are about making money, not meeting specs. The best theaters I have been to are the ones that at least try to meet certain specs, like THX theaters. If you have not experienced a full bandwidth theater at reference then you don't know the difference. If you have and feel like it is not worth it then that is fine, but that is opinion and not fact.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › IMAX theaters subs