or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 50

post #1471 of 2340
I have a Triton 2 and 50C setup for my Left/Center/Right setup. Long room (55 ft x 16 ft wide), but we have our HT setup in one end. So, the HT area is confined to about 16 ft wide x 15 ft deep, but very open behind the listening/viewing area. My wife wants me (which means I also want) to go to in-walls for the rear surrounds. I'm running a 5.1 setup. I can place in-walls about 5-6 ft. behind the listener, and whatever height I need, probably about 6 ft high is what I'm thinking. Unfortunately, I don't have very many options where I live to go listen to in-wall speakers. I listened to a pair of Paradigm AMS 250's on Saturday and was very impressed by their sound. I would prefer a closed box design, however, which the Paradigms are not. Trying to match something up with the Goldenears is one goal, and keeping the budget around $600 for the pair is the other goal. I'm not afraid to go the Ebay route to get the best bang for the buck.

I have in mind a few speakers, but without being able to hear them, I could use some help and advise. One speaker that I have interest in is the RBH MC-616. They also make the MC-6 model, which in size and configuration is close to the Paradigm. Curious if anyone has experience with the RBH models I mention and would the MC-616 be "too much", size wise? Def Tech has several that I can buy within my budget, such as the UIW RSS III or DI 5.5 BPS. Some of the Def Techs are closed boxes and some are not. Problem is...how do they sound?

So, does anyone have opinions on the above, or suggestions I have not listed? I don't want to spend what Triads cost, or I would go that route. I just want something to complement my incredibly sweet Goldenears. Thanks for whatever advice you bring my way.
post #1472 of 2340
Guys,

I'm planning in changing my A/V Receiver. I currently have Onkyo 5009 powering my 9.2 Goldenear set up.
I'm thinking of getting the Pioneer Elite SC-68 / Pioneer LX-86...

Any of you guys who have the same combo?
How's the SQ?

Many thanks smile.gif

BTW here's the picture of my current set up :cheer:

post #1473 of 2340
Jake45, Have you considered the Invisa Series from GoldenEar? It would probably give you the best sonic compliment to the rest of your system.
http://www.goldenear.com/products/invisa-series

Louie_18, Beautiful setup!
post #1474 of 2340
No, I didn't even realize they made in-walls. I am close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Def Tech UIW RSS III speakers. I can get them from a local dealer for about $700. The big bummer is that I have not listened to them because they have like zero floor stock.

The GoldenEars look very enticing. The HTR 7000 says it's 5" deep, too deep for a 2 x 4 stud wall. I'm installing into an existing room, not new construction, so I have a 2 x 4 wall on one side and a 2 x 6 wall on the opposite side that I'm mounting the speakers in. That would leave me with the Invisa 650 as a choice. Love the idea of matching up with the rest of my speakers. Has anyone in this forum heard or used the Invisa line for rear surrounds? Looks like the tweeters can be rotated to point to the listener. That's one nice thing about the Def Tech's...they're bipoles.

Also, as an aside, the wife factor is forcing me to mount the rear surrounds about 7 feet up from the floor, and as stated in my original post, about 6 ft. behind the listener. Not perfect, but I don't think it will end up being a bad position. My current rears (Klipsch bi-pole on-walls) are about 15-18 feet back and up almost 8 ft high.

I just want a really awesome sounding system, so any ideas or advice I get is very much appreciated. Very, very interested in the Invisa series and thank you so much for pointing them out to me!
post #1475 of 2340
Hi, We are looking for some advise:



Thank you for your suggestions!

I am going to move our question to the Receivers, AMPs, and Processors forum.
Edited by Steve609 - 1/17/13 at 6:22pm
post #1476 of 2340
For those using Triton 2's for 2 channel stereo, I can highly recommend the Nuforce DDA-100 as a great match for the Triton 2's. It's a digital integrated amp that claims it keeps the signal in the digital domain until the final power output stage. It seems to enhance the 2's great imaging characteristics and has no sonic flaws I can hear. It's also tiny and elegant looking. My entire audio system now consists of the DDA-100 fed by an equally petite Squeezebox Touch. The DDA-100 isn't hugely powerful, but with the 2's built-in woofer amps doing most of the heavy lifting, the DDA-100 seems to have plenty of power and barely breaks room temperature even after listening as loud as is comfortable for me. Best of all it is a cheap toy, compared with other components that have high-end aspirations.

More information here:

http://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=306:dda-100&Itemid=370

Also see glowing review in current issue of The Absolute Sound.
post #1477 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake45 View Post

I have a Triton 2 and 50C setup for my Left/Center/Right setup. Long room (55 ft x 16 ft wide), but we have our HT setup in one end. So, the HT area is confined to about 16 ft wide x 15 ft deep, but very open behind the listening/viewing area. My wife wants me (which means I also want) to go to in-walls for the rear surrounds. I'm running a 5.1 setup. I can place in-walls about 5-6 ft. behind the listener, and whatever height I need, probably about 6 ft high is what I'm thinking. Unfortunately, I don't have very many options where I live to go listen to in-wall speakers. I listened to a pair of Paradigm AMS 250's on Saturday and was very impressed by their sound. I would prefer a closed box design, however, which the Paradigms are not. Trying to match something up with the Goldenears is one goal, and keeping the budget around $600 for the pair is the other goal. I'm not afraid to go the Ebay route to get the best bang for the buck.

I have in mind a few speakers, but without being able to hear them, I could use some help and advise. One speaker that I have interest in is the RBH MC-616. They also make the MC-6 model, which in size and configuration is close to the Paradigm. Curious if anyone has experience with the RBH models I mention and would the MC-616 be "too much", size wise? Def Tech has several that I can buy within my budget, such as the UIW RSS III or DI 5.5 BPS. Some of the Def Techs are closed boxes and some are not. Problem is...how do they sound?

So, does anyone have opinions on the above, or suggestions I have not listed? I don't want to spend what Triads cost, or I would go that route. I just want something to complement my incredibly sweet Goldenears. Thanks for whatever advice you bring my way.

I have the Triton Two's as fronts, A 50C center and Aon 3's as surrounds. The Aon's in the rear add that exceptional sound quality I get from the Triton's. My choice would be for you to try the Aon 2's..... Rear surrounds: Just slightly behind the listener and above ear level
post #1478 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve609 View Post

Hi, We are looking for some advise:

Currently we are using an Integra 9.1 U2 receiver in our 5.5 GoldenEar system. We are starting to look at upgrading the receiver. We started by looking at the Arcam 600, NAD 787 and the Integra DTR 80.3

IMHO/ The Arcam 600 sounds best, but we had the 300 and had nothing but problems with it, we called it the snap, crackle and pop receiver because of the noises it made changing formats. The 600 is the most costly, and we are a bit leery.

We are open to suggestions, it took us about a year to get to this point with our 5.5 GoldenEar system... we aren't in a big hurry, I guess our target date is to buy something by this fall.

Thank You!

It seems as though you dropped a few pennies into some great speakers. Get away from the receiver. Go multi channel amp, with a pre amp and stay the course. If you do decide to stay with the receiver, personally I would stay away from the NAD. Never have liked them, always thought the Yammy's were better.
post #1479 of 2340
Thank you for your suggestions!

We moved our question to the Receivers, AMPs, and Processors forum

We do not what to hijack this thread.

Thank You!
Edited by Steve609 - 1/17/13 at 6:27pm
post #1480 of 2340
Well, I took a leap of faith and ordered two Invisa 650's. If I had the room setup for the Aon's, I would have done that, but I have agreed with the wife in our remodel to go with in-walls for the rear surrounds. I'll report back in a couple of months as to how the 650's are working out. Thanks all for your input and help.
post #1481 of 2340
Quote:

Well that link is broken, but I did some googling and found articles on these two new lines from CES press releases:

Here's the specs for the Supersat 60. I think this should make for a fine center to go with the larger Tritons.
Dimensions: 35" W x 2-3/4" D x 4-3/4" H
Frequency Response: 50Hz - 35 kHz
Sensitivity: 91 dB
Nominal Impedance: Compatible with 8 ohms
Driver Complement: Four 4.5" cast spiderleg-basket bass/midrange drivers, One High-Velocity Folded Ribbon (HVFR) high-frequency radiator, Two 4" x 7" quadratic planar low-frequency radiators
Recommended Associated Amp: 20-300 watts/channel

They are priced at $800 each and should be available this month.
post #1482 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve609 View Post

Yes, we ran speaker wires from the receiver to the sub in, and ran speaker wires from the sub out to the 50C.

Our receiver is set to sub-woofer yes giving us surround sound LFE from all 5 subwoofers (we also ran LFE (RCA) wires to all 5 subs).

IMHO/ By having 5 full range speakers and 5 sub-woofers w/ LFE we have created a 3D surround sound system.

It's the most uncanny thing... the sound stage has detailed sound placed exactly where it's supposed to be, explosions in movies are also 3D.

Example: We watched War Horse and there was a scene where a series of bombs went off in a trench (left to right) and in our room it sounded like they were going off in front of us (left to right), that was pretty cool, but it's really amazing to here bombs go off in a distance with this 3D sound effect. There was a part where a cannon shot from the far right and you could hear the bomb fly over your head and explode on the left just behind the couch.

When we say 3D sound we are referring to sound that has height, depth and width. If a shot comes from a roof on the left and hits on the ground on the right you don't just hear a bang on the left and a "pa-ding" on the right, you hear the shot from the upper left of the room, the bullet travels from the upper left to the lower right of the room and when it hits you hear the detailed snap making you think... Oh, that had to hurt.

The 3D surround sound really makes you feel like you are there.

That is an interesting way to connect everything. Will it work with my system that is listed below?

Marantz AV8801
Triton 2 fronts
Aon 3 Center...soon to be replaced by a Sat60c
Aon 3 rears
SVS PB12 Plus
Edited by planetbrian777 - 1/20/13 at 6:16pm
post #1483 of 2340
I am not sure. I suggest you shoot an email to GoldenEar and ask them that question.
post #1484 of 2340
We listened to our system with and without LFE to the (4) Triton 2's and sub-woofer.

In our situation the system sounded considerably better with LFE to all.
post #1485 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve609 View Post

We listened to our system with and without LFE to the (4) Triton 2's and sub-woofer.

In our situation the system sounded considerably better with LFE to all.

As I understand, some amplifiers will not send the .1 of the sound to the speakers even if set as "large". However if you have LFE enabled it will send part of the bass that your regular speakers don't normally handle to the LFE. . That's why I have mine set to run the LFE channel.
post #1486 of 2340
We have to give credit where credit is due.

Our goal here is (like most) to get the best bang for the buck.

The only thing we can take credit for is being smart enough to listen to people that really know what they are talking about.

We just took the gracious advise of Sandy Gross, and Don Tomlinson Owner Gleeson's Audio / Video in Ocean City, NJ.
Edited by Steve609 - 1/22/13 at 8:11am
post #1487 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve609 View Post

We have to give credit where credit is due.

Our goal here is (like most) to get the best bang for the buck.

The only thing we can take credit for it's being smart enough to listen to people that really know what they are talking about.

We just took the gracious advise of Sandy Gross, and Don Tomlinson Owner Gleeson's Audio / Video in Ocean City, NJ.

Agreed!
post #1488 of 2340
Just added a Bryston 4B SST to my Yammy 2000 to cover the front speakers. First of all, the Yamaha is running alot cooler, it's not having to push all those low Hz. The Bryston is hitting the lows so hard and solid, the floor shakes. The highs are crisp and fluid. Midrange (which I love to hear) have come more out to the forefront. Not always looking to play it loud, but the GoldeEar Triton Two's will definitely take the pounding. Thanks Sandy!!!!!!!!!
post #1489 of 2340
Called my dealer today to order a new 60 Center channel speaker.
post #1490 of 2340
Dylooper,

Bryston 4B SST... that should sound great!
post #1491 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrotex View Post

Called my dealer today to order a new 60 Center channel speaker.

Any delivery time estimate?
post #1492 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDCL View Post

Any delivery time estimate?

6 weeks. We'll see how accurate that is. :-)
post #1493 of 2340
We were told the same (6 weeks).
post #1494 of 2340
My dealer just said the end of February or the first of March.
post #1495 of 2340
When will GE update their website with the new components? FF5, SS60?
post #1496 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrotex View Post

Called my dealer today to order a new 60 Center channel speaker.

Huh? What new center?

Why is info coming out of this company so poor?
post #1497 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

Huh? What new center?

Why is info coming out of this company so poor?

It was all over their FB and Twitter accounts as well as all kinds of stuff coming out of CES. the new *low end* speakers are getting rave reviews. I haven't seen anything on their website yet.
post #1498 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrotex View Post

It was all over their FB and Twitter accounts as well as all kinds of stuff coming out of CES. the new *low end* speakers are getting rave reviews. I haven't seen anything on their website yet.

Gotcha...thank you. I don't shop on fb. Try to avoid it actually.

I was hoping they had some top end stuff coming. I'm looking to swap out my 6 year old def tech stuff.
post #1499 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

Gotcha...thank you. I don't shop on fb. Try to avoid it actually.

I was hoping they had some top end stuff coming. I'm looking to swap out my 6 year old def tech stuff.

I believe their Triton 2's are still their *top end*.
post #1500 of 2340
Hi Sandy,

I am John from Chennai, South India. I have plans of setting up a 11.1 set up in my home theater room (Size: 14'x19', Height 10'). I listen to the music a lot and watch lot of movies too. I have few questions for you which is as follows,
* Do you think i could do a good 11.1 with this room size????
* I have recently auditioned the Triton 2 in Chennai and they are mind blowing. Do you think i could do a complete 11.1 set up with this in the front.
* Kindly suggest me the best 11.1 set up i could achieve with the Goldenear speakers according to you.

Last but not the least, i loved the Triton 2 and thanks for giving a wonderful speaker like that. I wish i could meet you one day and appreciate the wonderful work you have done.

Regards,
John
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread