Haven't been updating for while, mainly because I am struggling with my bathroom build, well, it always like 3 steps forward and 2 steps backward for me. The setback, I have to re-do the shower drain and toilet drain again, mind you this is the 4th time! Now I have only one more item on my list need to be done before tiling but that is minor, here are some photos about my setback and progress.
The problem with shower drain is that it was sticking out of the concrete slab to high, almost 2" high, which means that I would have to raise the shower bed almost 4" high around wall.
The issue with the toilet drain hole is that it was 15 1/2" away from the back wall, to far out, the rough in needs to be around 12", so I have to move it closer to the back wall.
Here we go, re-open the concrete slab, I used circular saw diamond blade to cut the slab and hammer and mason chisel to break the concrete floor, what a PITA:
Bought a 2" offset toilet flange to see if it works, nope, it only moved the toilet drain hole 2" closer, still need to move another 2" or so:
So the solution is to cut out the 90 degree elbow, re-connect with a new 90 degree elbow but run it 45 degree towards back, and use a 45 degree toilet flange to bring it back to straight so it is perpendicular to the floor, but this time, it is 11" away from the wall, little too close, so I went to HD and measure the 12" rough-in toilet, 11" is fine but not much space to spare, so I have to settle on that:
Shower drain was cut down about an inch and filled back the gravels and re-cemented over:
Now move to the shower liner installation, first, I have to take out the bottom row CBUs before I can install liner since liner needs to be tucked behind the CBUs to make a nice water tight pan, another do-over of first timer stupid mistake:
Now moving to make first layer slopped mud bed. I got few 60lb bags of Sandtopping Mix from HD and couple of bags playsand as well to make so called "deck mud":
You need to make the sand and cement at 5:1 ratio to make the deck mud, so for a 60lb Sandtopping Mix, the sand:cement ratio is about 3:1, so I added about 30lb sand to the a bag of sandtopping mix and mixed well:
Now this is critical, you only need just about enough water to make the mix dampen, you can make a ball of it, but easily break it up, holding in your hand, you shouldn't feel your hand is wet, the mix should not form large chunks of crumbles:
First layer is done, slopped nicely. I compact the mix with a piece of 2x4" and a 14" trowel, then use a piece of 2x4" to screed from the drain hole around, then smooth everything out, after it is compacted, you can stand on top of it without leaving any foot print on the bed, that is how it is suppose to be, leave it over night, it is set:
Now move to install liner, you see the wood shower bench support in the picture above, I just won't be able to find a way to fold the liner around it, so I took it out, now liner is folded in that corner nicely:
Before everything is stapled on studs, I apply a bead of clear silicon caulk to seal the liner:
Fold over the shower dam and stapled on the bottom of outside:
To make water tight, I need to seal this shower dam corner, on HD website, they have a Oatey shower dam corner, but my local HD doesn't carry it, no luck with Lowes as well, so I have to make one myself:
Cut a piece of liner and cut halfway in the middle, you may not be able to see from the photo:
Glued the homemade shower dam corner on, I have to do the same on the other side too:
Now, put CBUs back, just make sure no screws below 6" from the bottom:
Tapping and mudding CBU joints, I use 2" self-stick mesh tape and thin-set mortar:
Now I have to rebuild shower bench, I got 4 pieces 4x8x16"concrete blocks from HD:
and a bag of Mason Mix (for laying concrete blocks and bricks), it contains lime so it has better property to cling on vertical surface:
Shower bench re-built:
Next, put final layer of mud bed for tiles, again, same way of making deck mud and same way of making slopped mud bed, I embedded bottom of CBUs in the final mud bed to lock them in:
The shower drain is about 3/8" above the bed for tiles, I also put down wire-mesh for shower dam:
After mud bed set, I started building shower dam with again, Mason Mix, just mix it little thicker, I use some 2x4"s and scrap OSB board as straight edges to make the dame:
Done, waiting for it to set:
That's all for now, it doesn't seem much, but took me 3 weeks, re-do the drain holes, CBUs and shower bench just cost not only money, but a lot of time. But on the bright side, I now know how to do the shower now so in the future I need to remodel my upstair bathrooms, I know how.