or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › Marquee 8501lc calibration HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marquee 8501lc calibration HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I have inherited a Marquee 8501lc with 10" tubes. I have everything setup and was able to succeed calibrating almost everything, but cannot get the red tube to line up. I am new at this and think i need to manually adjust the tube but would love some help before I try anything. When I set up the lenses, just the red one is wider at the top of the screen than the bottom. The vertical alignment is out, but the green and the blue are perfect.

What is the solution? It does fit in the proper setup angles and dimensions, so Im a little confused cause the other two are perfect.

I must admit this CRT thing is fun though.
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo777 View Post

I have inherited a Marquee 8501lc with 10" tubes.

The 8500 has 8-inch tubes, unless at some point it was completely modified for 9-inch tubes. I believe you are mistaken that it has 10" tubes which I have never heard of.

Quote:
I have everything setup and was able to succeed calibrating almost everything, but cannot get the red tube to line up. I am new at this and think i need to manually adjust the tube but would love some help before I try anything. When I set up the lenses, just the red one is wider at the top of the screen than the bottom. The vertical alignment is out, but the green and the blue are perfect.

What is the solution? It does fit in the proper setup angles and dimensions, so Im a little confused cause the other two are perfect.

I must admit this CRT thing is fun though.

I'm very confused by what you have done already. CRTs are complex to set up. Have you done the physical tube setup already by physically aiming the guns? You have to start with the physical setup first, and I'm not clear you've done that yet. Doing the final adjustments in the menus for keystoning and convergence is kind of a last step after you have done the projector and gun alignment, optical focus, beam setup, and electromagnetic focus.

You probably need to spend some time repeatedly reading and digesting the Guy Kuo CRT focus guide:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=98042

See also the CRT Projector area of AVS here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16

And also see the forums at curtpalme.com

And of course see the various FAQs, and also check out the thorough guides related specifically to the Marquee chassis here: http://curtpalme.com/TechTips.shtm

And here, though I think they're all duplicated over at curt's site as well:
http://www.etechvideo.com/techtips.htm


That should keep you inundated with information for a while and answer a whole lot of questions that you don't even know you want to ask yet!
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the reply. Sorry your right they are 8" Delta HD-10L lens'. As to what you have asked about the set up. I have gone through the physical set up 3 times just to double check that i had done anything wrong. I have done the projector and gun alignment, optical focus, beam setup, and electromagnetic focus.


The problem is after keystone, pincushion set up, sizing and centering. The red lens doesnt want to converge. I can get it centered in the middle, but then it is off to the right on the left and the right side of the screen.

Is this fixable through menu set up or physical?
LL
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo777 View Post

Thanks for the reply. Sorry your right they are 8" Delta HD-10L lens'. As to what you have asked about the set up. I have gone through the physical set up 3 times just to double check that i had done anything wrong. I have done the projector and gun alignment, optical focus, beam setup, and electromagnetic focus.


The problem is after keystone, pincushion set up, sizing and centering. The red lens doesnt want to converge. I can get it centered in the middle, but then it is off to the right on the left and the right side of the screen.

Is this fixable through menu set up or physical?

I don't understand when you say it "doesn't want to converge."

That photo looks fine, it just looks like you haven't done convergence yet in the picture?

I'm failing to understand what the problem is here. Does the convergence circuitry not work or not respond properly or something? The Marquees have tons of adjustment range so I don't understand what the problem is?
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Thats the weird thing about it. It converges in the middle, but both sides of the screen wont budge laterally when i manually try to converge them. Ive tried the A-CON and manual and neither will allow it. Every other adjustment is workable for sizing and adjustment, as well as both green and blue lens convergences, but not the red.

Ive also had a hard time focusing the red lens, but was told that it doesnt have to be as sharp as the rest. Is that true?
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo777 View Post

Thats the weird thing about it. It converges in the middle, but both sides of the screen wont budge laterally when i manually try to converge them. Ive tried the A-CON and manual and neither will allow it. Every other adjustment is workable for sizing and adjustment, as well as both green and blue lens convergences, but not the red.

So the manual zone convergence works just fine for blue, but not for red?
If you move to a zone and try to adjust it on the Red, you're saying nothing happens?

That sounds like a problem in the projector, I can't really help with that one, I suggest you talk to Curt Palme. If you move to a zone and try to adjust it on the Red, you're saying nothing happens?

Quote:


Ive also had a hard time focusing the red lens, but was told that it doesnt have to be as sharp as the rest. Is that true?

Red should be optically fairly sharp. Blue will never really appear as sharp simply because our eyes can't focus on blue ever well. But focus issues at the screen may not be because of lens focus, but because of beam setup issues and beam focus, which is entirely different.

If you follow the 3x5 card technique by using the phosphor grain to optically focus the tubes as described in the Guy Kuo setup guide I linked to, you can rest assured that's as tightly optically focused as you're gonna get. If the image is still blurry, then the problem is no optical focus but beam focus/setup so then move on and deal with that.

But if convergence isn't working on red and you're having focus issues, it almost sounds like something is messed up with the convergence circuitry, possible it could also be causing issues with the red focus?
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Yup, it the convergence board. I swapped the red and green convergence hook ups and adjusted the red convergence grid via the green converge hook up and it does move, so it has nothing to do with the lens set up. Im looking at fixing the converge board or get a new one. But thanks for the help. Any suggestions are welcomed.
post #8 of 8
No problem! Talk to curt! Or tim, I'm not sure if he still fixed these? I'm sorry I haven't followed the CRTers that closely of recent, but certainly Curt probably has a whole room of these boards...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › Marquee 8501lc calibration HELP!!!!!!!!!!!