or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread - Page 6

post #151 of 3937
Good to see Oppo offer a lower cost player. Personally, I really wish they would have included 2 ch analog outs. This is also lacking on the 983 and makes my implementation with analogs to a zone 2 LCD (HDMI to main) a real pain. switching oppo menu options to downmix MC to 2 ch for zone 2 and then back to MC for main is not really a workable solution.

Looks like I'll have to stick with the more costly 83 if/when I upgrade within the Oppo line.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #152 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmassey View Post

Good to see Oppo offer a lower cost player. Personally, I really wish they would have included 2 ch analog outs. This is also lacking on the 983 and makes my implementation with analogs to a zone 2 LCD (HDMI to main) a real pain. switching oppo menu options to downmix MC to 2 ch for zone 2 and then back to MC for main is not really a workable solution.

Looks like I'll have to stick with the more costly 83 if/when I upgrade within the Oppo line.

Monoprice sells cheap HDMI splitters.
post #153 of 3937
Could anyone knowledgeable comment on the following points please:

1. What components in a BDP control how fast it starts up and how fast it starts to actually play the content? Oppo states the new player will be "faster" but this not defined. Have any of the details seen so far suggest why and how the new player will be "faster?"

2. Likewise, what components control what kind of video data files burned to disk are supported? Oppo states the MKV files are supported but it is not clear if this applies to burned data discs, on FAT32 thumb drives, UBS attached hard drives, etc.

3. There are lots of video file formats out there, although MKV seems to be gaining ground quickly as the preferred format...especially for large files. I saw that AVCHD support is also promised but not AVI's, etc. What would be expected?

fafner
post #154 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Now I am more confused. I am wondering if I should keep the Pioneer 23FD that I got over the holidays or just return it & get this new Oppo. Oppo will set me back additional $60.00. I have until 31st to return the player so hopefully we can get some user reviews by then.

I have a BDP-83 and a 23FD. I see no perceptible difference in BD PQ.
The BDP-83 does produce a better DVD image but not by much. I believe you would be stepping back in PQ on DVD and see no difference in BD by going to the BDP-80. If you have a need for SACD that is the only plus. I'd stick with the 23FD.

CD
post #155 of 3937
I have a question can the BDP 83 ( and the new player ) output audio on Coxial Digital and Analogue at the same time?
The reason I ask is because then you could use Coxial out for DVD audio and Analogue Out only for BD.
My thinking is that the Coxial Digital for DVD will sound better than the analogue out which I will only use for BD audio then. My receiver is a Marantz SR 4600 with 7.1 input.
post #156 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmassey View Post

Good to see Oppo offer a lower cost player. Personally, I really wish they would have included 2 ch analog outs. This is also lacking on the 983 and makes my implementation with analogs to a zone 2 LCD (HDMI to main) a real pain. switching oppo menu options to downmix MC to 2 ch for zone 2 and then back to MC for main is not really a workable solution.

Looks like I'll have to stick with the more costly 83 if/when I upgrade within the Oppo line.

I haven't tried this on the BDP-83, but I am pretty sure that the BDP-83's speaker settings (bass management, downmix, etc. are for the 7.1 analog output only) aren't applied to the HDMI output. As a result, you could leave downmix set to stereo and use the left/right outputs for the second zone while the HDMI output gave you everything normal. If I'm right about that and the BDP-80 behaves the same way, you could run the left/right outputs to the zone 2 LCD with downmix set to stereo.

If your HDMI receiver or processor can decode TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, you could always set HDMI output to bitstream. That would definitely bypass the speaker settings.
post #157 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Could anyone knowledgeable comment on the following points please:

1. What components in a BDP control how fast it starts up and how fast it starts to actually play the content? Oppo states the new player will be "faster" but this not defined. Have any of the details seen so far suggest why and how the new player will be "faster?"

2. Likewise, what components control what kind of video data files burned to disk are supported? Oppo states the MKV files are supported but it is not clear if this applies to burned data discs, on FAT32 thumb drives, UBS attached hard drives, etc.

3. There are lots of video file formats out there, although MKV seems to be gaining ground quickly as the preferred format...especially for large files. I saw that AVCHD support is also promised but not AVI's, etc. What would be expected?

fafner

Try these entries in the BDP-83 FAQ. Where the BDP-80 is different, we will be able to say more after the official announcement tomorrow.
-Bill
post #158 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer77 View Post

I have a question can the BDP 83 ( and the new player ) output audio on Coxial Digital and Analogue at the same time?

Yes, that has been a feature of all the OPPO players. See Are all audio outputs active at the same time?

-Bill
post #159 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

1. What components in a BDP control how fast it starts up and how fast it starts to actually play the content? Oppo states the new player will be "faster" but this not defined. Have any of the details seen so far suggest why and how the new player will be "faster?"

"Faster" than what? I couldn't find a reference to this on their page. If we assume that it's based on the same core architecture as the BDP-83, it should be basically as fast as the BDP-83 - which is widely accepted to be pretty darn fast for a Blu-ray player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

2. Likewise, what components control what kind of video data files burned to disk are supported? Oppo states the MKV files are supported but it is not clear if this applies to burned data discs, on FAT32 thumb drives, UBS attached hard drives, etc.

Whether the data is stored on a data disc or a USB mass storage device, the player will treat them the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

3. There are lots of video file formats out there, although MKV seems to be gaining ground quickly as the preferred format...especially for large files. I saw that AVCHD support is also promised but not AVI's, etc. What would be expected?

I'd suggest checking Bill's excellent BDP-83 FAQ. Things shouldn't be particularly different for the BDP-80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer77 View Post

I have a question can the BDP 83 ( and the new player ) output audio on Coxial Digital and Analogue at the same time?
The reason I ask is because then you could use Coxial out for DVD audio and Analogue Out only for BD.
My thinking is that the Coxial Digital for DVD will sound better than the analogue out which I will only use for BD audio then. My receiver is a Marantz SR 4600 with 7.1 input.

The BDP-83's outputs are all active simultaneously if the disc being played supports them (the one notable exception is SACD, which has copy protection requirements that prevent output via coaxial and optical). I'd expect the BDP-80 to be similar.
post #160 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro2 View Post

Does anyone know if this player will emulate 7.1 surround from a 5.1 blu-ray disk? Similiar to Dolby PLIIx on a receiver? I want to use the analog inputs on my receiver and I have 7.1. My current HTPC Blu-Ray currently does Dolby PLIIx at the player so my receiver does not need to change.

Doubtful since the higher priced 83 player can't do this and has the higher quality analog section.

The only BD player I know of that can do Dolby PLIIx in the player itself is the flagship Denon A1UDCI. It retails for $4500.
post #161 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Now I am more confused. I am wondering if I should keep the Pioneer 23FD that I got over the holidays or just return it & get this new Oppo. Oppo will set me back additional $60.00. I have until 31st to return the player so hopefully we can get some user reviews by then.

Are you happy with the dvd upscaling? If so, might as well keep it. There will be no (or little) difference in blu ray playback....
post #162 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Now I am more confused. I am wondering if I should keep the Pioneer 23FD that I got over the holidays or just return it & get this new Oppo. Oppo will set me back additional $60.00. I have until 31st to return the player so hopefully we can get some user reviews by then.

As others have said, unless SACD/DVD-A playback will be useful to you, keep your 23FD as the 80 player is not expected to exceed your expectations.
post #163 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Try these entries in the BDP-83 FAQ. Where the BDP-80 is different, we will be able to say more after the official announcement tomorrow.
-Bill

Thanks. Helpful for the current model.

fafner
post #164 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

"Faster" than what? I couldn't find a reference to this on their page. If we assume that it's based on the same core architecture as the BDP-83, it should be basically as fast as the BDP-83 - which is widely accepted to be pretty darn fast for a Blu-ray player.


Whether the data is stored on a data disc or a USB mass storage device, the player will treat them the same way.


I'd suggest checking Bill's excellent BDP-83 FAQ. Things shouldn't be particularly different for the BDP-80.


Thanks.

Perhaps the web page said "fast" rather than "faster." In any case, the JVC VX BP-1 has set the standard for starting time, and the figures for the Oppo 83 are signifcantly slower than the JVC. A quick starting time is key for me.

I'm still interested in knowing what components in a player are involved in playing back data files. I don't believe I have ever seen any information on this.

fafner
post #165 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Thanks.

Perhaps the web page said "fast" rather than "faster." In any case, the JVC VX BP-1 has set the standard for starting time, and the figures for the Oppo 83 are signifcantly slower than the JVC. A quick starting time is key for me.

I'm still interested in knowing what components in a player are involved in playing back data files. I don't believe I have ever seen any information on this.

fafner

This is the first I have ever heard of another player "starting" faster than the BDP-83.
If you power on the -83 with the eject button, it takes like 1.5 seconds for the tray to open. Doesn't get much faster than that.
I'd certainly like to see these "figures" that you are referring to.
post #166 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

This is the first I have ever heard of another player "starting" faster than the BDP-83.
If you power on the -83 with the eject button, it takes like 1.5 seconds for the tray to open. Doesn't get much faster than that.
I'd certainly like to see these "figures" that you are referring to.

jvc can beat the oppo on some discs. the only players that i have tested that have consistently faster load times than the oppo are the samsung bdp3600 and lg bd390. even then, we're talking single digit seconds at best.
post #167 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

Yeah, this player would be a step backwards in my household. Most of my friends don't listen to SACD/DVD-A so I wouldn't even recommend this unit as a first BD player. This player is really for fans only and is the PERFECT player if you:

1) Own a downstream VP or halfway decent VP processing in an AVR/prepro.
2) Have an HDMI 1.1+ AVR (digital A/V all the way).
3) Want SACD/DVD-A

You can buy this player for larger screens (think front projection) as long as you have adequate downstream VP.

Thanks for putting things into perspective.

As for me:

1) I don't believe the budget Onkyo SR605 I own is all that great
2) Yes
3) Yes BUT I already have that covered and I'm sure my Class A Marantz player (for SACD multi and 2 channel) will blow this out of the water. No, I didn't pay big bucks for it.

For years I've always had put getting an Oppo on the backburner. At this price I wouldn't mind just fooling around with it even though it will not be my main player.
post #168 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

This is the first I have ever heard of another player "starting" faster than the BDP-83.
If you power on the -83 with the eject button, it takes like 1.5 seconds for the tray to open. Doesn't get much faster than that.
I'd certainly like to see these "figures" that you are referring to.

They are from the Oppo 83 FAQ page referenced above for the Oppo. Winston32 has done a great job of evaluating start up times in the JVC BP-1 thread...and perhaps elsewhere in the Fourm. The JVC starts playing content before I get back to my chair after putting a disc in the tray.

I have no actual experience with any Oppo player and if I misrepresented what the 83 can do it was not intentional.

fafner
post #169 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

I'm still interested in knowing what components in a player are involved in playing back data files. I don't believe I have ever seen any information on this.

The System-on-Chip (SoC) that has been discussed some in this thread already is basically the central handler for all audio and video data in a disc player. It doesn't matter whether you are playing a DVD, a Blu-ray, a CD, or an audio or video file that is stored on data disc or USB.
post #170 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

This is the first I have ever heard of another player "starting" faster than the BDP-83.
If you power on the -83 with the eject button, it takes like 1.5 seconds for the tray to open. Doesn't get much faster than that.
I'd certainly like to see these "figures" that you are referring to.

I heard the JVC was faster as well. The Oppo is quick in allowing its tray to open quickly after powering on but the system isn't fully booted and Oppo had stated as much after one of the older firmware updates. Apparently, the JVC's bootup is faster.
post #171 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

They are from the Oppo 83 FAQ page referenced above for the Oppo. Winston32 has done a great job of evaluating start up times in the JVC BP-1 thread...and perhaps elsewhere in the Fourm. The JVC starts playing content before I get back to my chair after putting a disc in the tray.

I have no actual experience with any Oppo player and if I misrepresented what the 83 can do it was not intentional.

fafner

Part of my underlying point, is just exactly HOW are these tests being performed.
IMO, the ENTIRE setup of starting a movie is to be considered.
For example, starting the player from standby would be the entire startup time.
With the BDP-83, press the eject button from a standby state and the tray opens quickly, stick the disc in and close, then auto play takes over.
If the "testing" being done is only considering load times from a point when the tray is already open, then it is flawed.

To help prove my point, if I power on my Toshiba HD-XA2 with the eject button, it takes like 1.2 billion years before the tray opens.
This certainly contributes to how long it takes to get a movie started, so the same criteria is to be considered with BD players as well.

With all that said, I'm not saying that other players may not be slightly faster than the OPPOs on occasion, but I highly doubt there are any that will beat an OPPO hands down on a consistent basis.
It seems that at this point in the game, most mid-level and up BD players are all somewhat similar in load times... give or take a few seconds here and there... IMHO... FWIW... don't eat no yellow snow.
post #172 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

I heard the JVC was faster as well. The Oppo is quick in allowing its tray to open quickly after powering on but the system isn't fully booted and Oppo had stated as much after one of the older firmware updates. Apparently, the JVC's bootup is faster.

You're apt to hear most anything.

Statements about loading times are meaningless unless specific to the discs being measured. No 2 BD discs are the same in 1st-play times, DVD-video and any type audio discs are generally more consistent.

If you want to measure boot times, no disc should be in the player at all.
post #173 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

I heard the JVC was faster as well. The Oppo is quick in allowing its tray to open quickly after powering on but the system isn't fully booted and Oppo had stated as much after one of the older firmware updates. Apparently, the JVC's bootup is faster.

Here's the rub, which not actually be a rub, but is worth noting.
While the quick opening of the tray with the BDP-83 may not technically make the player "boot" faster, it still does contribute to faster complete loading time, because the tray can be ejected and loaded with a disc WHILE the player is booting. So the end result is a faster way to getting the movie going than by traditional means.
post #174 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Monoprice sells cheap HDMI splitters.

yup, tired that one. Problem is once you connect a 2 ch display source (LCD) down stream to the 983, it dumbs down all audio to 2 ch, which makes the main 2 ch as well. I think this is part of the HDMI spec.
post #175 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Now I am more confused. I am wondering if I should keep the Pioneer 23FD that I got over the holidays or just return it & get this new Oppo. Oppo will set me back additional $60.00. I have until 31st to return the player so hopefully we can get some user reviews by then.

Everybody is forgetting the most important ISSUE

If you Wife or Girlfriend gave it to you - by all means DO NOT RETURN IT.
Not matter what it will hurt their feelings

If it was a present to yourself - then you are free to do as you wish.
post #176 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Here's the rub, which not actually be a rub, but is worth noting.
While the quick opening of the tray with the BDP-83 may not technically make the player "boot" faster, it still does contribute to faster complete loading time, because the tray can be ejected and loaded with a disc WHILE the player is booting. So the end result is a faster way to getting the movie going than by traditional means.

Here is a post by Winston 32 which I could readily find. It seems I was mis-remembering some of the Oppo data. Overall, however, the data seem to show the JVC, if not the fastest, certainly very near the top.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post16678123

fafner
post #177 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

I haven't tried this on the BDP-83, but I am pretty sure that the BDP-83's speaker settings (bass management, downmix, etc. are for the 7.1 analog output only) aren't applied to the HDMI output. As a result, you could leave downmix set to stereo and use the left/right outputs for the second zone while the HDMI output gave you everything normal. If I'm right about that and the BDP-80 behaves the same way, you could run the left/right outputs to the zone 2 LCD with downmix set to stereo.

If your HDMI receiver or processor can decode TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, you could always set HDMI output to bitstream. That would definitely bypass the speaker settings.

I know this is an Oppo 80 thread, so perhaps not relevant for discussion here, but I'm not so sure this will work with the 983, but I'll give it a try. For now I have a 983 + BD60 in the rack and send BD60 L/R analog to Z2 and just use the BD60 to the LCD.
post #178 of 3937
Load times of various players:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post16678123

all disc load times are from putting the disc in the tray and the clock starts ticking when i press the open/close button.

keep in mind i have the slow eap drive, which means my powered off eject time is 11 seconds.
post #179 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Now I am more confused. I am wondering if I should keep the Pioneer 23FD that I got over the holidays or just return it & get this new Oppo. Oppo will set me back additional $60.00. I have until 31st to return the player so hopefully we can get some user reviews by then.

What do you personally feel you would be gaining with the Oppo causing you to second guess the Pioneer???
post #180 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

The System-on-Chip (SoC) that has been discussed some in this thread already is basically the central handler for all audio and video data in a disc player. It doesn't matter whether you are playing a DVD, a Blu-ray, a CD, or an audio or video file that is stored on data disc or USB.

Thanks...I think.

But there is still something I don't understand. Almost everyone agrees that BR PQ is pretty much the same across all players. Yet, there are opinions that the PQ of DVD's varies widely. How can this happen if the same chip is used?

Different software?

fafner
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread