or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac11700 View Post

Does the media tech chipset keep this from happening on all displays?

Mac

There's always a possibility of macroblock enhancement with a player/display combo that is not calibrated correctly, or with a dvd player or display that is manufactured out of spec.
Just as well, macroblocking can also be embedded into a transfer of a dvd or Blu-ray disc, and when that happens, there's not much you can do about it.
However, with the implementation of how OPPO has configured firmware for the MTK chipset, both with the previous DV-980H model, and maybe with the new BDP-80 model, there is not going to be any macroblacking coming from the processor in the player, and when paired with a properly calibrated display, there is pretty much zero chance of seeing it outside of extenuating circumstances.

(BAH! Neuromancer gets me again)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #212 of 3937
How long until Amazon will sell the player? What was the bdp-83's availability lag (if any) between Oppo's site and Amazon?
post #213 of 3937
Thread Starter 
Likely a month.

The BDP-83 was available through Amazon.com starting June 30, 2009. It was widely available from OPPODigital.com around April 30th, 2009.
post #214 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadalias View Post

How long until Amazon will sell the player? What was the bdp-83's availability lag (if any) between Oppo's site and Amazon?

Order from Oppo. You owe it to yourself.
post #215 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadalias View Post

How long until Amazon will sell the player? What was the bdp-83's availability lag (if any) between Oppo's site and Amazon?

Who do you think ships out the Oppos to Amazon? If you said Oppo you have just won a Oppo BDP-83, no not really! Why not buy it directly from Oppo?
post #216 of 3937
Thread Starter 
OPPO makes more money from your purchase when done direct.

Second, Amazon.com may not have it for several months. Why wait when you can get it "now"?
post #217 of 3937
Amazon ships free.
post #218 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

Why not buy it directly from Oppo?

1. Amazon discounts/gift cards

2. Free 2-day shipping with Amazon prime

3. Region free modded version available from aftermarket modders on Amazon marketplace comes with Amazon warranty; buying direct from Oppo and then shipping to aftermarket modder to install region free mod voids your Oppo warranty
post #219 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

SACD users who want a player with DSD-compatible DAC's would need to move up to the BDP-83. Those DAC's are one reason that the BDP-83 costs $210 more than the BDP-80. Of course, there have been a whole lot of SACD players over the years that required converting DSD to PCM before converting to analog. Most of those didn't even have the option to output DSD over HDMI, which the BDP-80 can do.

What would be the advantage of sending stereo audio signal through 2-ch analog outputs as opposed to sending it through HDMI, especially with SACD. I have a receiver that handles DSD signal so I'd imagine that sending DSD via HDMI without any conversion to the receiver would be the best way to do it. Am I wrong here?
post #220 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

1. Amazon discounts/gift cards

2. Free 2-day shipping with Amazon prime

3. Region free modded version available from aftermarket modders on Amazon marketplace comes with Amazon warranty; buying direct from Oppo and then shipping to aftermarket modder to install region free mod voids your Oppo warranty

Man, I wished they had a 10% discount for ordering directly from OPPO through the "Getting to Know" the company program. The writing was on the wall with bold blacklines a long time ago.
post #221 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagortenej View Post

What would be the advantage of sending stereo audio signal through 2-ch analog outputs as opposed to sending it through HDMI, especially with SACD. I have a receiver that handles DSD signal so I'd imagine that sending DSD via HDMI without any conversion to the receiver would be the best way to do it. Am I wrong here?

Everything gets converted one way or another. It comes down to which hardware is better... DACs in the processor, or DACs in the player, plus any molestation along the way... even lower quality cable jacks and wiring within can make a difference.
Then after all that, are your speakers good enough to produce the intricate sounds that have been resolved...

Many these days believe the easiest way to get very high quality, is by keeping it in the digital domain as long as possible.
This is what players like the BDP-80 cater to.
Using your case as an example, sending DSD via HDMI to your compatible processor is a great solution for both the BDP-80 and the quality sound for the user.

On the flip side, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and others believe it can be just as good or better to get those digital signals converted to analog asap so that a high quality analog setup can work it's magic.
With a player like the BDP-83, DSD can be output over analog, and with the better DACs via the 2CH dedicated analog output, it's possible to achieve a higher quality of fidelity.
Moving up the the BDP-83SE, the DACs get even better. With the ultimate in sound reproduction, sending the audio directly out of the SE and directly into a power amp feeding some high quality full range speakers can undoubtedly be described as... sonic perfection.
post #222 of 3937
post #223 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Everything gets converted one way or another. It comes down to which hardware is better... DACs in the processor, or DACs in the player, plus any molestation along the way... even lower quality cable jacks and wiring within can make a difference.
Then after all that, are your speakers good enough to produce the intricate sounds that have been resolved...

Many these days believe the easiest way to get very high quality, is by keeping it in the digital domain as long as possible.
This is what players like the BDP-80 cater to.
Using your case as an example, sending DSD via HDMI to your compatible processor is a great solution for both the BDP-80 and the quality sound for the user.

On the flip side, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and others believe it can be just as good or better to get those digital signals converted to analog asap so that a high quality analog setup can work it's magic.
With a player like the BDP-83, DSD can be output over analog, and with the better DACs via the 2CH dedicated analog output, it's possible to achieve a higher quality of fidelity.
Moving up the the BDP-83SE, the DACs get even better. With the ultimate in sound reproduction, sending the audio directly out of the SE and directly into a power amp feeding some high quality full range speakers can undoubtedly be described as... sonic perfection.

Nicely put!

Dammit, I got up early today before work so I could order one of these and I still can't get it in my cart.
ARGH...
Chris
post #224 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagortenej View Post

What would be the advantage of sending stereo audio signal through 2-ch analog outputs as opposed to sending it through HDMI, especially with SACD. I have a receiver that handles DSD signal so I'd imagine that sending DSD via HDMI without any conversion to the receiver would be the best way to do it. Am I wrong here?

First, you can output multichannel analog for SACD's - not just stereo. Second, not everyone has an HDMI receiver, and for those people the only practical way to hear SACD's is via an analog output from the player.

If you have a receiver that will handle audio over HDMI, just use HDMI. If you want to have some fun, experiment with DSD and PCM output from the player to see which sounds better to you.
post #225 of 3937
post #226 of 3937
I`m still looking for a BD-player for Blu-rays, only.

As I already own the Oppo DV-983 (fantastic DVD upscaling), I think the BD-80 would be a good choice. Besides, Bluraychip.dk will have a DIY regionfree kit ready in about a month.

What do you guys think?
post #227 of 3937
OK...now it's officially Monday...so

How much better does the BDP-80 do on standard def sources..? Does it give a better picture than the DV-980H for up-conversion? Does it do a better job with the audio? How quick is the boot up time from a cold start with the player?

Mac
post #228 of 3937
tests results posted on the comparison thread...

mini review here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post17997450
post #229 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post

I`m still looking for a BD-player for Blu-rays, only.

For BD only I'd get a Panasonic BD60. You can buy 2 and still have money left over for what you pay for the Oppo.
post #230 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

For BD only I'd get a Panasonic BD60. You can buy 2 and still have money left over for what you pay for the Oppo.

Much as I love Panasonic, the lack of a dedicated Subtitle button in their remotes annoys me to no end.
post #231 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

tests results posted on the comparison thread...

mini review here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post17997450

Great stuff
post #232 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post

Much as I love Panasonic, the lack of a dedicated Subtitle button in their remotes annoys me to no end.

+1

This is precisely why I gave away my Panny BD60. One actually has to make like 4-5 button presses just to get subtitles. Just didn't cut it for me.
post #233 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

tests results posted on the comparison thread...

mini review here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post17997450

Winston,

Thanks for the review! I had been looking forward to it for quite awhile now.
post #234 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

tests results posted on the comparison thread...

mini review here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post17997450

Can the moderators put this on the front page?
post #235 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

Can the moderators put this on the front page?

Does this oppo do dlna?
post #236 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac11700 View Post

OK...now it's officially Monday...so

How much better does the BDP-80 do on standard def sources..? Does it give a better picture than the DV-980H for up-conversion? Does it do a better job with the audio? How quick is the boot up time from a cold start with the player?

Mac

Maybe 9:00am Pacific Time to order though I'm not sure that is what the "so" is about in your post versus getting some answers to your questions.

Hopefully!
post #237 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Everything gets converted one way or another. It comes down to which hardware is better... DACs in the processor, or DACs in the player, plus any molestation along the way... even lower quality cable jacks and wiring within can make a difference.
Then after all that, are your speakers good enough to produce the intricate sounds that have been resolved...

Many these days believe the easiest way to get very high quality, is by keeping it in the digital domain as long as possible.
This is what players like the BDP-80 cater to.
Using your case as an example, sending DSD via HDMI to your compatible processor is a great solution for both the BDP-80 and the quality sound for the user.

On the flip side, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and others believe it can be just as good or better to get those digital signals converted to analog asap so that a high quality analog setup can work it's magic.
With a player like the BDP-83, DSD can be output over analog, and with the better DACs via the 2CH dedicated analog output, it's possible to achieve a higher quality of fidelity.
Moving up the the BDP-83SE, the DACs get even better. With the ultimate in sound reproduction, sending the audio directly out of the SE and directly into a power amp feeding some high quality full range speakers can undoubtedly be described as... sonic perfection.

Thanks for the reply. It surely clarifies the issue for me. So, if I understand it correctly, it all comes down to which component has better DACs. My receiver is Yamaha HTR6290 (aka RX-V1900) so I'd be connecting OPPO to it via HDMI. I know this is a newbie question, but how do I find out what DACs are used in my receiver and if they are better than what OPPO BDP-80 has? Thanks again for all of your help.
post #238 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagortenej View Post

Thanks for the reply. It surely clarifies the issue for me. So, if I understand it correctly, it all comes down to which component has better DACs. My receiver is Yamaha HTR6290 (aka RX-V1900) so I'd be connecting OPPO to it via HDMI. I know this is a newbie question, but how do I find out what DACs are used in my receiver and if they are better than what OPPO BDP-80 has? Thanks again for all of your help.

The Yamahas all use Burr-Brown DACs. they also convert DSD to PCM for processing, so there's no real advantage to sending DSD over HDMI.
post #239 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Maybe 9:00am Pacific Time to order though I'm not sure that is what the "so" is about in your post versus getting some answers to your questions.

Hopefully!

Well...everyone(including myself) has been anxiously awaiting for today to get here to get some more detailed information...and looking forward to hearing more from all the Beta testers..

Mac
post #240 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by yung View Post

why did oppo decide to leave out the 24p conversion? Many people still have a large sd library and there are lower priced players on the market with this capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

it's been my experience that forced 24fps conversion invites as many issues as quality it creates.

+1.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread