or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread - Page 13

post #361 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

When did you buy the BDP-83? If it was less than 30 days ago, then you can still return it to OPPO.

If the only reason you ever bought the BDP-83 was for watching only Blu-ray movies at 1080p, then that wasn't the wisest chioce to begin with.
If you use the player to also watch upconverted dvds on a screen larger the 37-42" or more, then the BDP-83 will have better PQ anyway.

Instead of wondering how much money you may have wasted, you should be happy in knowing that you own a player that other OEMs believe is worth 7 times more than what you paid.
It's a great player, but you shouldn't need anyone here to tell you that.

I live in Europe. Needed a hardware modified player for region free. The combination of U.S. ebay and BDP-83 was my only option at that time...

Perhaps I will buy the below stuff just to use the additional benefits of BDP-83, in which case I will pay much much more than the player

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/305

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/678

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #362 of 3937
Ordered one today for my parents, already have a fedex tracking# from Oppo. This will be the 7th Oppo player i've purchased (for myself and family members) the last being the BDP-83 that I bought to replace my AWFUL Elite Pio BDP-95FD that would choke up trying to load discs (i'll never buy Pioneer players again).

While my parents won't get any use from the SACD or DVD-a like I do, what these new blu-ray players do very well is play HD .mkv files. I have a popcorn hour media player for that but have tested the BDP-83 and it works well. I asked around avsforum about the other players that also handle .mkv and most have some issues like lip sync, or errors not being able to read, etc. (Insignia, Samgung, LG to name a few). My only complaint with the Oppo is that it can't read from NTFS formatted drives which limits that media to 4GB file sizes (I don't see that as an issue for my parents, and I use the popcorn hour which can read from NTFS). Still other cheaper players have this so I hope Oppo considers a firmware update on it in the future. I'll post back when I set up the new BDP-80 and give some feedback.
post #363 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG428 View Post

Guys, especially expert forumites, I will really appreciate your comments on my above statement. Am I too pessimistic? Or am I missing a feature of BDP-83 that BDP-80 is missing which can be considered a deal breaker in the above scenario, considering my needs and usage?

I think the summary of my situation is as follows: I paid more than 200 dollars in vain, and in order to have a better player, I need to pay 299 more for BDP-83SE upgrade, which costs more than the BDP-80 itself! (BTW, even in this case, I cannot opt to the upgrade option because of not having the original receipt due to the fact that I had bought my BDP-83 on ebay, as I live in Europe and wanted a hardware modified player for region-free. As a matter of fact, I am stuck with an unnecessarily expensive player.

If you are not interested in DVD or analog audio, then you are not getting your money's worth from the BDP-83 as compared to the BDP-80.

I would point out that the -83 FAQ has had this section since day 1: Is the Blu-ray picture quality of this player amazingly better than any other player?

-Bill
post #364 of 3937
Thanks, Bill. I had read the FAQ. However, I had to overlook that fact, as I needed a hardware modified player for region free capability, and a modified BDP-83 on ebay was my only option at that time.

I totally accept this fact. I don't want to say, "if I knew that one day a simpler BDP-83 would be released in future, I would wait and buy that player", as it does not make sense-- I cannot foresee future.

So I have to accept my BDP-83, which is commented to be a "wonderful" player, and in this regard, I am trying to find out and thus asking forumites' opinions on whether there is any single advantage of BDP-83 over BDP-80 under the conditions I normally use the player, because, if there is not any, this "wonderful" player turns out to be only a "great" player, for me and my needs.
post #365 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG428 View Post

Perhaps other than better zoom modes, as someone who uses his BDP-83 primarily with 1080p material via non-source direct and bitstreaming to the AVR, I had splurged 42% more money on BDP-83, right? Because;

- as to the PQ, there seems to be no difference between BDP-80 and BDP-83, or even other BD players for that matter that can output 1080p; and

Do you watch any source material other than Blu-ray? If so, then there can and will be PQ differences
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG428 View Post

- as to the AQ, since, assuming that my Denon AVR-988 has a better DAC than that of BDP-83, I bitstream to my AVR.

I'd test that theory before I declare it to be a certainty. The BDP-83 may have to defer to its big brother the 83SE on analog output, but it is still remarkably good for the price.
post #366 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG428 View Post

Thanks, Bill. I had read the FAQ. However, I had to overlook that fact, as I needed a hardware modified player for region free capability, and a modified BDP-83 on ebay was my only option at that time.

The Region free Sherwood has been available for about a year and they were readily available for about $100 (and it didn't need to be hardward modified).
post #367 of 3937
would this player be overkill for a 37" screen?
post #368 of 3937
Thread Starter 
no.
post #369 of 3937
This looks like another winner from Oppo.

Just wondering....can I output the video to component and send audio over the HDMI? With my Panasonic, I can send the decoded hi res audio from Dolby True HD etc. via PCM over HDMI to my somewhat older Denon (3806).

If it can do this processing, this unit might be a nice fit for me. I could replace two DVD type players in the system (a Panasonic Blu Ray and a Denon 2900 SACD/DVD-Audio player) with one unit. Of course, I could also use the analog ouputs, but it would be nicer to have the audio go over HDMI.

Thanks.
post #370 of 3937
Thread Starter 
Yes, all outputs are active at the same time. So you can have component active for video and use HDMI for audio to your Denon receiver.
post #371 of 3937
Wow. This would be a perfect inexpensive SACD player for an audio only system...
post #372 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

Do you watch any source material other than Blu-ray? If so, then there can and will be PQ differences

I'd test that theory before I declare it to be a certainty. The BDP-83 may have to defer to its big brother the 83SE on analog output, but it is still remarkably good for the price.

No. Only 1080p movies and just a couple of 1080i concerts not so important for me. How does this affect your opinion?

Do you suggest that BDP-83's DAC might be better than that of Denon AVR-988's/AVR-2808's?
post #373 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG428 View Post

Do you suggest that BDP-83's DAC might be better than that of Denon AVR-988's/AVR-2808's?

I have no experience with the Denon receiver, but the BDP-83's DAC has compared well to some pretty upscale surround processors.
post #374 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG428 View Post

No. Only 1080p movies and just a couple of 1080i concerts not so important for me. How does this affect your opinion?

Do you suggest that BDP-83's DAC might be better than that of Denon AVR-988's/AVR-2808's?

I can say for a fact that the BDP-83's DACs are better than my Denon AVR-5700 receiver, and they pretty darn good to! That is why I went for the SE upgade, even better!

Regards,
Techlord.
post #375 of 3937
Another soon to be an early adopter here. Got mine ordered a few hours ago and now tracking its progress from California to Kentucky.

I've enjoyed reading the notes here. Don't understand the technical stuff but that's okay. I enjoy learning so its fun to try and figure out what is being said.
post #376 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

would this player be overkill for a 37" screen?

Yes, unless you need a universal player or are sitting closer than 5'.
post #377 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG428 View Post

Guys, especially expert forumites, I will really appreciate your comments on my above statement. ...I think the summary of my situation is as follows: I paid more than 200 dollars in vain,...As a matter of fact, I am stuck with an unnecessarily expensive player.

I have been very happy with my 83 for months. As you all well know, it is an amazing bargain for a universal/BD player with great DVD upconversion. But now, as far as I can tell from reading this quickly metastasizing thread, for my 40" LCD screen and my HDMI-capable Denon 2809 AVR, an 80 would be pretty much perfect for me. I'd get basically indistinguishable PQ and AQ. And for $200 less. Nice work, Oppo! I believe Oppo has indeed inevitably cut into their 83 market. But hopefully they'll expanded their overall market considerably, as the 80 is an even more amazing bargain for a lot of folks.

Yeah, I have a little "buyer's remorse" in that if I were shopping today I'd not hesitate to get an 80 and put that $200 toward SACD's. But I've enjoyed months of great audio and video and have a player I'm proud to own, so whacha gonna do?
post #378 of 3937
I've started noticing an odd trend with some reviews and websites commenting on the BDP-80. Many make comments like "this is a great player for those who will be using it as a video transport." Highdefdigest.com actualy makes this statement: "For the most part, the BDP-80 wasn’t meant to output directly to your TV." Statements like that make it sound like some are saying that this player can't cut it when compared to other standalone players unless you are using an external video processor. Don't comments like that actually sell this player short? If so, why make the comment at all? It makes me reconsider getting one when I keep see comments like this. Are people really saying that if you are not using it as a video transport, you mind as well get an LG or Sony because this can't cut it. If it is not true then I think people need to be more careful with there words.

I just want to know if this player is a better upconverter then the PS3? I hate the PS3 fan noise but, I do not want to downgrade my VQ. If the Oppo 80 cannot beat the PS3 then I'll look else where (or at least match the PS3 VQ).
post #379 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me3 View Post

Is it correct to assume that you can only get the back-lit remote if you order direct from Oppo? That would convince me to order direct. I think Amazon would only sell the player with no added options.

Man it be sweet if there was an option for an aluminum faceplate. I'd pay for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

$3, 210 more?

ROTFLMAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I've started noticing an odd trend with some reviews and websites commenting on the BDP-80. Many make comments like "this is a great player for those who will be using it as a video transport." Highdefdigest.com actualy makes this statement: "For the most part, the BDP-80 wasn't meant to output directly to your TV." Statements like that make it sound like some are saying that this player can't cut it when compared to other standalone players unless you are using an external video processor. Don't comments like that actually sell this player short? If so, make the comment at all? It makes me reconsider getting one when I keep see comments like this. Are people really saying that if you are not using it as a video transport, you mind as well get an LG or Sony because this can't cut it. If it is not true then I think people need to be more careful with there words.

I just want to know if this player is a better upconverter then the PS3? I hate the PS3 fan noise but, I do not want to downgrade my VQ. If the Oppo 80 cannot beat the PS3 then I'll look else where (or at least match the PS3 VQ).

I've also noticed this and it has made me wonder how the 80 would perform (for DVDs) on my 60" Elite Kuro. I guess we will have to wait for more user reports to see how the 80 does in the "real world".
post #380 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolowl View Post

Another soon to be an early adopter here. Got mine ordered a few hours ago and now tracking its progress from California to Kentucky.

I've enjoyed reading the notes here. Don't understand the technical stuff but that's okay. I enjoy learning so its fun to try and figure out what is being said.

Just like the old G.I. Joe saying, "Knowing is half the fun..." or something like that.
post #381 of 3937
One proper thing Oppo provides is a 30-day return policy with no restocking fee. You don't get your shipping cost refunded but that's to be expected.
post #382 of 3937
Need help...83 or 80?

I have a 60" SXRD and an extensive standard def DVD collection - after doing some research it seems that the OPPO 83 would be appropriate for my system. However, one remaining technical question... I have a Pioneer Elite 21txh AVR that already has an Anchor Bay chip in it. Will the ABT chip in the 83 still provide significantly improved upconverting on my large screen compared to the 80?
post #383 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I have been one of the BDP80 beta testers for the past several months and I would like to add a few words about the BDP80. My setup consists of the BDP80, BDP83, A DVDO Edge, an Onlyo605, I also own a Pioneer BDP 51 and a Epsons 7500 projector. In most cases I use HDMI output source direct bitstream and let the Onkyo do the audio decoding.

I have compared the video output of both the BDP83 and BDP 80 going direct to the projector and also using source direct going through the Edge. On Blu-Ray disks bypassing the Edge I can not see any difference in quality between the 80 & 83. I can also not see any difference going from the BDP80 SD disks through the Edge to the projector. The difference comes when ones compares the 80 & 83 going direct and not using the Edge. Both the Edge and the 83 use the Abit chip and have the same upscailing qualities. The 80 as most know, does not have the Abit chip so there is a difference on SD disks on very large screens.
This is the reason for the big price difference. I am also happy to report that after using the BD80 for several hundred hours I have had very few issues. Nearly every disk I have tried plays fine. The big question for most is which machine should I choose. It really depends on the size of the screen, the number of SD disks one might have and plan to use and cost.

The BDP 80 is a great unit for those who don't have
1. A projector or very large set. I would say above 50 or 55 inches
2. If you own a good video processor
3. Plan to use mostly Blu-Ray disks
4. Want or need to save some money.

I would suggest the BDP83 for the following situations:
1. Owners of large sets or projectors who do not own external video processors
2. Owners of large SD DVD collections
3. If one needs or wants 1080/24 output for standard disks. (I think it is more of a problem than not with most sd disks. That may be the reason it is not available on the 80)
I have also seen posts about the plastic front on the BDP83. I did not even realize that it is plastic until I checked. It has a nice look and it is also slimmer than the 83. I have only test the audio outputs a few times on both players using component output. I have not been able to hear any difference.

Finally the most import thing for one to consider is if the best upscailing is needed for SD disks. If it is I would recommend the BDP83. In most other cases I feel that the BDP 80 will more that meet one's needs. I have had the pleasure to use it for the past months and since I also own the DVDO Edge it has become my primary Blu-Ray player.
The picture is great and it plays everything I have put into it. It is fast loading. and is very responsive. I don't know if the JVC or a few others machines beat it on loading times. If they do the difference would be very small and be a non issue for most. The menu setup is also very clear. The thing to consider is that with either Oppo unit you are getting a quality machine with amazing product support. If you have any questions we can now answer them. I know that there are cheaper players out there but I don't think one will find a better value. With Oppo units you don't have to worry about disks not playing, freeze ups, and all kinds of other Blu-Ray issues. You will also be getting the best support in the business and firmware upgrades as needed.

If one wants to see one of the best reviews see the job that Gonk did.

http://www.prillaman.net/oppobdp80_review.html

This is almost EXACTLY what I want to try by using the bd80 as a transport for dvd's (at 480i) to my reon in my 3007 and compare it to the 83 outputting 1080p from dvd with out the reon.

If I am reading this correctly you say you see no difference between the 80(outputting 480i to the Edge and letting the Edge scale) and the 83 doing all the scaling bypassing the Edge, correct?

Best,
Chris
post #384 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I've started noticing an odd trend with some reviews and websites commenting on the BDP-80. Many make comments like "this is a great player for those who will be using it as a video transport." Highdefdigest.com actualy makes this statement: "For the most part, the BDP-80 wasn't meant to output directly to your TV." Statements like that make it sound like some are saying that this player can't cut it when compared to other standalone players unless you are using an external video processor. Don't comments like that actually sell this player short?

I agree. It could be the reviewers presume that Mom & Pop will never hear about the player, so its target market are more technical buyers who already have gear that needs a transport for source material.

Looking at price alone there are cheaper players, but informed buyers here and at other forums will find it competitive for the features it has, even as standalone player.

-Bill
post #385 of 3937
If my receiver, Denon 4310CI has the Anchor Bay VSR processor, would the OPPO BPD-80 work just as well as the BPD-83 in terms of Blu-ray and Standard Definition picture quality/upscaling? I am using a projector in my home theater.
post #386 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by nddqha View Post

If my receiver, Denon 4310CI has the Anchor Bay VSR processor, would the OPPO BPD-80 work just as well as the BPD-83 in terms of Blu-ray and Standard Definition picture quality/upscaling? I am using a projector in my home theater.

...My question exactly, but I have the Pioneer 21txh with an anchor bay chip. I know chips serve different purposes and have different qualities but how significant are they?

My biggest factor however is the screen size - i have a 60" Sony to play my standard def DVDs on. If i had a smaller screen i would just go with the BDP80 for sure.
post #387 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I've started noticing an odd trend with some reviews and websites commenting on the BDP-80. Many make comments like "this is a great player for those who will be using it as a video transport." Highdefdigest.com actualy makes this statement: "For the most part, the BDP-80 wasn't meant to output directly to your TV." Statements like that make it sound like some are saying that this player can't cut it when compared to other standalone players unless you are using an external video processor.

I'm fairly certain that once the actual reviews start, and people see how well this player does, those type comments will be in the minority. There are very few BD players that will best this one for DVD upconversion.
post #388 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by weissja22 View Post

Need help...83 or 80?

I have a 60" SXRD and an extensive standard def DVD collection - after doing some research it seems that the OPPO 83 would be appropriate for my system. However, one remaining technical question... I have a Pioneer Elite 21txh AVR that already has an Anchor Bay chip in it. Will the ABT chip in the 83 still provide significantly improved upconverting on my large screen compared to the 80?


It's been said by most that a Blu-ray player has a purpose and that is video processing and bitstreaming the codecs DD and DTS to the receiver, since the primary duty is to display, your Blu-ray player is going to be the component responsible for the video processing and the important features that come with it! The ABT2010 in the Denon's aren't implemented in the same manor as the BD players, the features will be lacking as the implementation is less sophisticated. Imagine the firmware updates if they did have all of the features of the Oppo BDP-83, plus the entire receiver! It's preferred to have the BD player or external video processor to handle the video duties and let the receiver do it's job, sound reproduction. I'm going to recommend the BDP-83, 60" inches is way above average for a display theses days! The biggest LCD Samsung made last year was 52" inches, not including the LCD LEDs!

Regards,
Techlord.
post #389 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Yes, all outputs are active at the same time. So you can have component active for video and use HDMI for audio to your Denon receiver.

Careful, if the player is set for SOURCE DIRECT OUT and you play a 1080p24 blu ray it turns off component video (and likely composite, etc), but as long as AUTO is selected it keeps the component active....
post #390 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by weissja22 View Post

...My question exactly, but I have the Pioneer 21txh with an anchor bay chip. I know chips serve different purposes and have different qualities but how significant are they?

My biggest factor however is the screen size - i have a 60" Sony to play my standard def DVDs on. If i had a smaller screen i would just go with the BDP80 for sure.

If you have an Ancohr Bay solution elsewhere in you chain, you will be just fine with the 80. Its one hell of a nice player and did I mention plays DVD-A and SACD as well
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread