or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread - Page 123

post #3661 of 3937
I keep hoping my 80 will someday play all the MKV files my other media player can but this update didn't do the trick either.

When u spend as much time as me waiting for a device to realize it's STUCK (frozen) you appreciate a power button that shuts the machine off regardless. Never had to unplug my bdp80 to reset. Nothing else i own in this life is as reliable as my OPPO remote's power button.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #3662 of 3937
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

No because the other interesting thing is I go play these files on my WD Live Plus in another room the movie looks fine.
Like I said if I set the oppo to 16:9 wide/auto then the movie looks normal. Though it was always set to 16:9.

If you set the player to 16:9 WIDE and the video is not physically encoded with the black bars, then the player will stretch the image vertically and/or horizontally. For proper aspect ratio support for external media (such as MKV) you must set the player to 16:9 WIDE/AUTO so the player displays bars at the top and bottom or sides.
post #3663 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneniamat View Post

I keep hoping my 80 will someday play all the MKV files my other media player can but this update didn't do the trick either.

When u spend as much time as me waiting for a device to realize it's STUCK (frozen) you appreciate a power button that shuts the machine off regardless. Never had to unplug my bdp80 to reset. Nothing else i own in this life is as reliable as my OPPO remote's power button.

Ha! I agree about the power button. For mkvs I found the bdp80 to be persnickety about the software doing the streaming. Stop messing with encodes if you think they're solid and try some other streaming software if you can (I didn't catch the file server setup you're using).

Im using a windows home server running the latest twonkymedia server. Earlier versions of this software (6 to 9 months or older) had issues that seemed to have been worked out for my setup. There was another media server that worked even better but was expensive and had to be licensed for each client.
post #3664 of 3937
Well, to see if it is the file or the streaming software, why not copy one of the troublesome files to a USB stick and plug it into the Oppo's front port. If it plays, then you know it is the media server software; if it doesn't, then it is probably the encode.

I gave up on finding a reliable media server and just copy everything to a USB HDD. Little less convienant but it works. I also don't watch too many MKVs, just the occasional show my DVR misses.
post #3665 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Well, to see if it is the file or the streaming software, why not copy one of the troublesome files to a USB stick and plug it into the Oppo's front port. If it plays, then you know it is the media server software; if it doesn't, then it is probably the encode.

I gave up on finding a reliable media server and just copy everything to a USB HDD. Little less convienant but it works. I also don't watch too many MKVs, just the occasional show my DVR misses.

I play all of my MKV encoded movies via USB drive in my Oppo. I've never had any problem with the 80 playing them.

Oppo doesn't play some video file types, so I convert to MKV with MKVtoolnix, which is free from here...

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix

Since a USB flash drive must be formatted in FAT32 to work on an Oppo player, it has a file size limitation of 4 Gig. MKVtoolnix will split any MKV file so it will fit on the USB flash drive. There is only a split-second pause when the player shifts from one split to the next.

It's the best tool I've found for creating and modifying video files.

Once set up, it only takes a few minutes to create a MKV file that plays perfectly on my Oppo. Reading the FAQs is a must however.
post #3666 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot20 View Post

Oppo doesn't play some video file types, so I convert to MKV with MKVtoolnix

MKV is just a container for the video stream and all MKVToolNix does is copies the video stream from one container (AVI usually) to another (MKV). It doesn't do any conversion or encoding. The file should play or not play the same in either container. The problem comes when there's an H.264/x264 video stream... the 80 chokes on those no matter what they've been wrapped in.
post #3667 of 3937
Thread Starter 
Most of my files are h.264 based (AVC and VC-1) and I have not had any issues playing them back when using USB.
post #3668 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Most of my files are h.264 based (AVC and VC-1) and I have not had any issues playing them back when using USB.

Same here.

I wrap the h.264 files in an MKV container and I've never had problems playing them on my Oppo 80 via USB, unless the original files were corrupted.
post #3669 of 3937
I just updated the firmware on my 80 via CD-R - very first update since purchase early 2010 The 'main portion' of the firmware and the 'MCU' updated fine but not the "BD Loader' portion. Is this really important? What do I need to do? Thanks!
post #3670 of 3937
Thread Starter 
Depending on how old your previous firmware was, the BD Loader may not update the first time. Try running the upgrade process again.
post #3671 of 3937
I just wanted to thank Oppo for the firmware update, I just found out and was gladly surprised; I thought they'd abandon the player.
post #3672 of 3937
Oppo is again offering a small number of refurbished BDP-80 units for sale.

http://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp
post #3673 of 3937
Just a quick update: I like having this player output LPCM via HDMI. I've calibrated my system to account for the slight level difference between that and the bitstream output. Between that and the new firmware which fixes all of the SA-CD issues I'm completely satisfied with this player. Thank you Oppo for sticking with it and making such a wonderful machine!
post #3674 of 3937
Hi Neil,

I also prefer the -80 to internally decode and send LPCM thru HDMI.
post #3675 of 3937
How does the Oppo BDP-80 compares against the Toshiba A20 HD-DVD player when it comes to upconverting DVD's? For that matter, how does it stack up to the recent models of Sony and Panasonic players. I'm considering buying the Oppo BDP-80 possibly replacing my Toshiba A20 HD-DVD player for DVD playback. All comments are welcome.


Thanks.
post #3676 of 3937
Math,

as a fellow owner of both, the -80 and the 983H (which has the VRS chipset), I can tell you there's basically no difference in DVD playback though.

Furthermore, I do have a Panny BDP-30 and to my eyes both Oppos has a better PQ in DVD playback.
post #3677 of 3937
avliner, Thanks.
post #3678 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by math wizard View Post

How does the Oppo BDP-80 compares against the Toshiba A20 HD-DVD player when it comes to upconverting DVD's? For that matter, how does it stack up to the recent models of Sony and Panasonic players. I'm considering buying the Oppo BDP-80 possibly replacing my Toshiba A20 HD-DVD player for DVD playback. All comments are welcome.


Thanks.

I have the BDP-83 and the Toshiba HD-A35. I give the Oppo a slight leg up in DVD playback, I'm keeping both (have over 140 HD-DVDs, about 70 BDs). I don't think you'd see a degradation in quality. My parents have a BDP-80 and I see very good upscaling on their setup.
post #3679 of 3937
I must admit I haven't upgraded the firmware on my player since I bought it since when I last tried, it hung on playing titles with BD Live which Oppo then told me to turn off.

Tried to play The Town last night. The disc started to load and I saw the play icon appear on the screen and then the player hung.

Has anybody seen this problem with this title? I guess I could try the latest firmware but I am wary it might break other things.

Thanks
post #3680 of 3937
I don't recall a problem with this title, but I have had issues with a couple of others, including 'Alien'...problems that I didn't imagine could be firmware related, but were. Like you, I waited a long time before giving in to upgrading firmware, but it was painless, and I recommend doing it. Just follow the directions and don't vary. Being the first update you've done, you might have to sit through about three or so series of downloads, but it will be worth it in the long run.
post #3681 of 3937
Well I also contacted Oppo and within 30 minutes got this reply

We highly recommend that you upgrade the firmware on the player to the 21-0402 Firmware (http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-8...e-21-0402.aspx).

Perform an Erase BD-Video Data (Device Setup->Persistent Storage) and disable BD-Live (Network Setup).

Turn off the player then turn it back on.

Try playing your Blu-ray title again. It should now load properly and you can playback the main feature.

If it loads, try re-enabling BD-LIVE and trying the disc again.


I will try when I get home and report back.
post #3682 of 3937
After 16 months of duty, my BDP-80 quit working last night. The screen went black while playing a BD. Tried it on another set with the same results. No Composite or Component output either. Seems like a very short life span to me. Very dissapointed. Hell, my first PS3 lasted 28 months and it was used almost everyday. BAH.
post #3683 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor 68 View Post

After 16 months of duty, my BDP-80 quit working last night. The screen went black while playing a BD. Tried it on another set with the same results. No Composite or Component output either. Seems like a very short life span to me. Very dissapointed. Hell, my first PS3 lasted 28 months and it was used almost everyday. BAH.

Talk to Oppo tech support. They may ask you to try a firmware re-install. Do you get a display in the Front Panel when you power up?
--Bob
post #3684 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Talk to Oppo tech support. They may ask you to try a firmware re-install. Do you get a display in the Front Panel when you power up?
--Bob

I was getting a front panel display but just a blank screen. Oppo replied to my email this morning in little over 45 minutes! They suggested I try the following: "Press the RESOLUTION button at the lower left hand corner of the remote control. Press the Down arrow key until "480p/576p" appears. Press ENTER.

Does the resolution appear as "480p 60Hz" or "576p 50Hz" on the front panel of the player? If the later, press Eject then press and hold the P/N button (upper right) on the remote control for 5 seconds while aiming the remote at the player. Your player will switch to multi-system. Enter Setup and change TV System (Video Setup) back to NTSC. Exit Setup and turn off the player to save your settings."

That didn't work as the set booted right up like nothing had happened the previous night. I did hook it up to do this test on my main system with a different HDMI cable. (hmmm) Since the 80 seemed it's old self, I installed it back where all this began and sure enough, no picture! I then jiggled the hdmi plug on the player and the set tried the handshake routine a couple of times and then the picture popped in. AH HA. Bad cable. Got the cable that came with my BDP-93 and tried it and everything went back to normal. The 93 cable connected very firmly and the older cable was a somewhat loose fit. Funny though, last night when I moved the 80 to test it on my other system, it still wouldn't work, even with a different cable. I'm going to run a couple of movies on it to see if it was indeed a bad cable and not some internal problem.
Very impressed with Oppo's support team and thanks for your concern Bob
post #3685 of 3937
I think someone owes his BDP-80 an apology for doubting it. They're very sensitive, you know.
post #3686 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I think someone owes his BDP-80 an apology for doubting it. They're very sensitive, you know.

I like to take mine out for a dinner and a movie once a week just so that problem doesn't pop up.
post #3687 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I think someone owes his BDP-80 an apology for doubting it. They're very sensitive, you know.

Already taken care of.
post #3688 of 3937
Well I'm glad it's working for you, but I'm puzzled by your report that you also weren't getting video from the Component or Composite jacks.

Did you have the faulty HDMI cable still hooked up when trying those analog video jacks? If so the video might have been muted due to the failed HDMI handshake.
--Bob
post #3689 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post

Well I also contacted Oppo and within 30 minutes got this reply

We highly recommend that you upgrade the firmware on the player to the 21-0402 Firmware (http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-8...e-21-0402.aspx).

Perform an Erase BD-Video Data (Device Setup->Persistent Storage) and disable BD-Live (Network Setup).

Turn off the player then turn it back on.

Try playing your Blu-ray title again. It should now load properly and you can playback the main feature.

If it loads, try re-enabling BD-LIVE and trying the disc again.


I will try when I get home and report back.

Well again props to Oppo technical support. I updated the firmware, erased pesistent storage and after powering off and on again, it played the title.

Great and responsive service.
post #3690 of 3937
Last month or so I switched over to LPCM output instead of bitstream. Since then I've noticed occasional lip-synch issues, things I never noticed before when using the bitstream output for a year with this player. I'm now going back to bitstream to see if these issues are still apparent.

Neil
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread