or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread - Page 129

post #3841 of 3937
ba-dum-TISH!
--Bob

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #3842 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Yes. Do it using the volume knob on your sub. Check levels with a good calibration disc -- such as the LPCM test tracks on AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray -- and an SPL meter. To check SACD levels, uses tracks 43-48 of "Stay in Tune with Pentatone", SACD.

The idea is that LFE is recorded low so that it can carry *LOUD* bass without risk of clipping the input at the other end of that cable. Thus the correct place to provide the necessary boost is external to the player.
--Bob

Thanks Bob, this makes sense to me...
post #3843 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboff01 View Post

Really sad that Blu-ray technology still has these problems years after it's introduction. These kinds of issues will continue to drive people to streaming alternatives. The better picture/sound quality just isn't worth the hassle of dealing with discs that may or may not play in a given player.

AMEN. I recall my first DVD player (Marantz DVD930, still have it to this day) that was made in 1998. Around 2001 I had to send it in for an upgrade to play Gladiator and a few others, and also had them fix the red/green LED (it was "green" when in standby and "red" when on, for some odd reason- they all were).. Around the later 2000's it again started having problems with some newer discs. Around 2009 I moved to an Oppo BD80. The Marantz is a fantastic CD transport at this point. It does see some use here at the office to test video displays from time to time.. But I digress. A "format upgrade" every few years I think is acceptable. But having problems every few months? For folks that don't have access to broadband and the like, I'm sure it's infuriating.. I for one enjoy the Oppo. But do wish the studios would stop alienating their consumer base to save a few bootleg copies. I understand the economics involved. The resulting reality however is consumer frustration.

..dane
post #3844 of 3937
Hi all,
I am sorry if this has been asked before, but the thread is getting a bit long to read through the whole thing.
I am quite sure that my BDP-80 used to output DVD-A through SPDIF Coax at up to 192khz/24bit, i.e. at the original bitrate of the DVD-A.
Now the output seems limited to 48khz. Does anyone know if this is a limitation that has been introduced in a recent firmware?
If yes, is it possible to downgrade the firmware to an older version?
Thanks and regards
Rudi
post #3845 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolffischer View Post

Hi all,
I am sorry if this has been asked before, but the thread is getting a bit long to read through the whole thing.
I am quite sure that my BDP-80 used to output DVD-A through SPDIF Coax at up to 192khz/24bit, i.e. at the original bitrate of the DVD-A.
Now the output seems limited to 48khz. Does anyone know if this is a limitation that has been introduced in a recent firmware?
If yes, is it possible to downgrade the firmware to an older version?
Thanks and regards
Rudi

First of all, yes you can roll back to prior firmware. You'll find links to prior firmware versions in the firmware history portion of the first post of this thread.

Second, high bit rate audio on S/PDIF is limited to stereo LPCM. Try this: In Setup > Audio Format Setup, set the Optical/Coax output to LPCM and the Optical/Coax LPCM rate limit to 192KHz.

That said, the manual states (correctly) that high resolution output of DVD-Audio on S/PDIF is restricted by licensing. So if it really did work before that was a bluebird. But I've not heard of them making any changes in that regard in this firmware.
--Bob
post #3846 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

First of all, yes you can roll back to prior firmware. You'll find links to prior firmware versions in the firmware history portion of the first post of this thread.

Second, high bit rate audio on S/PDIF is limited to stereo LPCM. Try this: In Setup > Audio Format Setup, set the Optical/Coax output to LPCM and the Optical/Coax LPCM rate limit to 192KHz.

That said, the manual states (correctly) that high resolution output of DVD-Audio on S/PDIF is restricted by licensing. So if it really did work before that was a bluebird. But I've not heard of them making any changes in that regard in this firmware.
--Bob

It's possible that some discs labeled "DVD-A" are actually HDAD discs consisting of DVD-V structure with stereo 24/96-192 LPCM audio. Those will play on any DVD player and output over SPDIF.
post #3847 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

It's possible that some discs labeled "DVD-A" are actually HDAD discs consisting of DVD-V structure with stereo 24/96-192 LPCM audio. Those will play on any DVD player and output over SPDIF.

^ Ah! Good point.
--Bob
post #3848 of 3937
Thanks a lot to everyone for the replies.
I managed to solve the problem. As the Oppo is being used in an audio only system (for SACD deembedding), I had no access to the setup menus. I now moved it to the TV and reviewed the settings and saw that the unit was doing exactly what it was told to do. The bitrate limit had been set to 48khz.
Now I'm back to the full 192khz.
Thanks and regards
Rudi
post #3849 of 3937
Regarding to the new FW, this time I'm not willing to upgrade at all, due to the removal of the ISO compatibility, as I have several foreign DVD's and I'm afraid the Superdisck hack won't work anymore if I upgrade to the latest FW though...

Am I right on my assumptions??
post #3850 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

Regarding to the new FW, this time I'm not willing to upgrade at all, due to the removal of the ISO compatibility, as I have several foreign DVD's and I'm afraid the Superdisck hack won't work anymore if I upgrade to the latest FW though...

Am I right on my assumptions??

Are you in the right thread? No ISO support on the BDP-80 ever.

Superdisc still works on the BDP-93 with new firmware.

-Bill
post #3851 of 3937
Hi Bill,

always thought that it was the same old bunch though...
Thanks for enlighten me on such once again
post #3852 of 3937
Trying to use my Oppo 80 as streamer from my NAS.

I realise it won't stream or see .iso's but I am having difficulty streaming .mkv files as well. I would normally use handbrake to rip my disks because I do not have have a BR drive in my computer so only DVD's on my NAS.

I am using mkv container and h264 codec but oppo sees file but just shows 100% without playing. In fact it freezes and power down is only way it responds.

I normally use a Dune D1 for streaming and this has no problem at all playing all my formats including .mkv and .iso of course.

Also the Dune can play UpnP as well as via Samba so I think the files are OK. Is the Oppo 80 very choosey about its playing capabilities?
post #3853 of 3937
Thread Starter 
Make sure that you are not using Header Removal Compression or Variable Frame Rate when making these files using handbrake.

Try playing the files locally and see if they fail to load. If they fail locally, then the files may be corrupt or incompatible. Try remuxing the files using an older version of MKVToolNix. I personally stick with 4.0.0 as this has been the most reliable and compatible version.

If the files playback locally but not through the network, then your DLNA DMP server may be setup incorrectly. Try disabling any transcoding and try using an alternative server, such as Twonky, the PS3 Media Server or TVersity.
post #3854 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Make sure that you are not using Header Removal Compression or Variable Frame Rate when making these files using handbrake.

Try playing the files locally and see if they fail to load. If they fail locally, then the files may be corrupt or incompatible. Try remuxing the files using an older version of MKVToolNix. I personally stick with 4.0.0 as this has been the most reliable and compatible version.

If the files playback locally but not through the network, then your DLNA DMP server may be setup incorrectly. Try disabling any transcoding and try using an alternative server, such as Twonky, the PS3 Media Server or TVersity.

Many thanks for your reply and its very constructive suggestions.

I am using Mezzmo server as well as Oshare but results the same.
I will try Twonky (which I also have) but it seems to want to load my Mezzmo library for some reason.

Will try out your suggestions re handbrake settings then MKVToolNix.

Just downloaded it and am remuxing.
Does this tool only remux an existing .mkv file or will it convert (like handbrake)?
post #3855 of 3937
Well remuxing gave no joy.

Transferred original and remuxed (via MKVToolnix) versions in a USB drive and tried to play through Oppo.
Oppo saw the files but in both cases it caused a blue screen on my TV.
Recovered by power recycle of Oppo.

Both files play perfectly via JRiver etc..

The Oppo plays the same DVD rip (as video_TS) without problem.

Just does not like .mkv.

Any ideas.

Is a firmware reinstall possible with the Oppo 80 ?
I am thinking it may have glitched on installation.
post #3856 of 3937
Yes there's no problem doing a firmware re-install. While you are at it Erase Persistent Storage and Reset Factory Defaults after the install, and then power down AND pull the power plug for about 10 seconds. Then re-enter your personal settings.
--Bob
post #3857 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Yes there's no problem doing a firmware re-install. While you are at it Erase Persistent Storage and Reset Factory Defaults after the install, and then power down AND pull the power plug for about 10 seconds. Then re-enter your personal settings.
--Bob

Many thanks Bob.

When I try to update it tells me I already have latest firmware so progress stops there.
How can i overwrite it with new firmware or does the rest of your post take care of that ?

Peter
post #3858 of 3937
^ You need to download the firmware from the OPPO support page and install it using the USB or burned disc methods. Network install will not do it.
--Bob
post #3859 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ You need to download the firmware from the OPPO support page and install it using the USB or burned disc methods. Network install will not do it.
--Bob

Thanks again Bob.

Yes, I was connected to the internet when trying my 'rewrite' of firmware. Your advice is gratefully accepted.

Incidentally, does anyone else have .mkv problems with the Oppo 80?

Peter
post #3860 of 3937
Completed firmware re-installation, erased 'persistant storage' and returned to factory conditions and powered down.
Waited about a minute before powering up and putting my settings back.

Unfortunately the same.

My Oppo 80 refuses to play .mkv files irrespective of whether USB or NAS source.

I have tried Handbrake and MKVMerge but both are equally non playable on the Oppo but perfectly playable with my PC's JRiver.

Will try MakeMKV but am not confident of success.

Are there other options I can try or is this an Oppo problem?
post #3861 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG View Post

Completed firmware re-installation, erased 'persistant storage' and returned to factory conditions and powered down.
Waited about a minute before powering up and putting my settings back.

Unfortunately the same.

My Oppo 80 refuses to play .mkv files irrespective of whether USB or NAS source.

I have tried Handbrake and MKVMerge but both are equally non playable on the Oppo but perfectly playable with my PC's JRiver.

Will try MakeMKV but am not confident of success.

Are there other options I can try or is this an Oppo problem?

Did you do this as mentioned above?

Quote:
Make sure that you are not using Header Removal Compression or Variable Frame Rate when making these files using handbrake.

If you could post a small sample file somewhere we could look at it, else write up your testing for OPPO support and offer a sample file to them.

-Bill
post #3862 of 3937
Hi Bill,

Thanks for reply.

Have just completed using MakeMKV and I have at last got it to play via USB.

Transferred it to my NAS and again it plays (if a little stop / start but that might be my network speed).

Regarding Handbrake, I'm not certain what is meant by 'Header Removal Compression' so perhaps that is my problem?.
Unable to find it in Handbrake, I have changed what was Variable Frame Rate to Constant.
post #3863 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG View Post


Regarding Handbrake, I'm not certain what is meant by 'Header Removal Compression' so perhaps that is my problem?.
Unable to find it in Handbrake, I have changed what was Variable Frame Rate to Constant.

If you revert to Handbrake version 0.9.4 it will eliminate any issues with VFR settings, just use "same as source". With 0.9.5, you need to avoid using the "same as source" setting. With 0.9.6 there are more settings available, but you still should avoid VFR.
post #3864 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

If you revert to Handbrake version 0.9.4 it will eliminate any issues with VFR settings, just use "same as source". With 0.9.5, you need to avoid using the "same as source" setting. With 0.9.6 there are more settings available, but you still should avoid VFR.

Thank you I am using v 0.9.6 so following your advice no VFR so have set to 25 (50Hz here in UK).

Still cannot find 'Header Removal Compression' so don't know if its on or not.
post #3865 of 3937
Thread Starter 
Header Removal Compression is usually handled by the MKV portion of the software. Most software has this disabled, but later revisions of MKVToolnix enabled this by a default. This caused a lot of compatibility issues with some decoders (such as the MTK). MTK fixed these issues, but to be on the safe side, if you have control over HRC, always disable it.
post #3866 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

If you revert to Handbrake version 0.9.4 it will eliminate any issues with VFR settings, just use "same as source". With 0.9.5, you need to avoid using the "same as source" setting. With 0.9.6 there are more settings available, but you still should avoid VFR.

Thanks for this advice,

Was using 0.9.6 with settings you mention but it was unable to see any audio track even when ripped to HDD.
Reverting to 0.9.4 has solved this problem.

There are now no problems in my Oppo 80 seeing and playing .mkv files thanks to the constructive advice this Forum has provided.

My computer runs W7 Ultimate 64bit.

@Neuromancer.
Many thanks for explanation.
post #3867 of 3937
Anyone know the what these are going for used these days? I am looking at picking one up locally. Thanks
post #3868 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Anyone know the what these are going for used these days? I am looking at picking one up locally. Thanks

Hard to find these. HERE'S one selling on FleaBay. Generally speaking, the used Oppos go for 60-75% of retail. Depends on condition, region-free mods, original packing, etc.
post #3869 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Hard to find these. HERE'S one selling on FleaBay. Generally speaking, the used Oppos go for 60-75% of retail. Depends on condition, region-free mods, original packing, etc.

Actually I am looking at that one. It is local to me. Thanks
post #3870 of 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

If you revert to Handbrake version 0.9.4 it will eliminate any issues with VFR settings, just use "same as source". With 0.9.5, you need to avoid using the "same as source" setting. With 0.9.6 there are more settings available, but you still should avoid VFR.

As a further update on this subject I have 'discovered' Mediacoder which is so versatile and as complex / simple as you want it to be.
I know Handbrake seems to be the coder of choice by a lot of experts but up to now Mediacoder works perfectly for me giving me exactly what I want.

Any tips or pitfalls I should look out for with it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread