or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › how is this Sony KDL46VL150??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

how is this Sony KDL46VL150?? - Page 3

post #61 of 153
I would go with the Vizio...the LED's should make for much better black levels than the Sony.
post #62 of 153
Can anyone confirm that the VL150 does not have the red flashing issue. I want to buy the TV, but that would be a dealbreaker for me.
post #63 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgz1 View Post

I would go with the Vizio...the LED's should make for much better black levels than the Sony.

Thanks- Now I just have to weigh the the thought of spending an extra $349

I talked to a Sales person at Costco who said he'd pick the Sony over the Vizio.
He said the 120hz Motion-Flow is comparable to the 240hz (?)

But LED seems to be the future of quality television.

[b][b]Here are both tech specs:

Between these two:

Sony Bravia KDL-46VL150 46” Motionflow™ 120Hz 1080p LCD HDTV $799.99


The Sony Bravia KDL-46VL150 46” Motionflow™ 120Hz 1080p LCD HDTV is taking high definition to an entirely new level. It’s a high definition world and the best high definition resolution this brave new world offers is 1080p; that’s why Sony has more Full HD 1080p HDTVs than ever before.

Features:
Screen Size (measured diagonally): 46"
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Contrast Ratio: 5,000:1
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 70,000:1
Viewing Angle: 178º x 178º
Motionflow™ Technology: Motionflow™ 120Hz
Video Processing: Bravia Engine 2™ Technology
CineMotion® Reverse 3:2 Pulldown Technology
Tuner: NTSC/ATSC/QAM
BRAVIA® Sync™
USB Application(s): Photo Viewer (JPEG)
Game Mode
3D Comb Filter
24p True Cinema™ Technology
Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE)
VESA® Hole Pitch: 300x300 M6
Energy Star® compliant: Exceeds Energy Star version 3.0
Dimensions (WxHxD): 43” x 29.4” x 13” (w/ stand), 43” x 29.4” x 3.4”
Weight: 53 lbs (w/ stand), 45.6 lbs (w/ out stand)
Audio:
Speakers: 20W (10W x2)
Digital Amplifier
Auto SAP
Auto Mute (on no signal)
Steady Sound® Automatic Volume Control
Audio Out: Fixed
Stereo System: MTS
Dolby®: Dolby® Digital (for broadcasting)
Alternate Audio (Digital)
SRS®:SRS® TruSurround XT®
Sound Mode: Dynamic, Standard, Clear Voice
Inputs/ Outputs:
HDMI™ x4 (3 Rear/1 Side)
Component Video x2 (Rear)
S-Video x1 (Side)
Composite Video x2 (1 Side/1 Rear)
Digital Audio x1 (Rear)
RF Connection x1 (Rear)
Analog Audio Input x5 (2 Side/3 Rear)
Audio Out x1 (Rear)
PC In (D-Sub) + Audio In (Stereo Mini) x1 (Rear)
USB 2.0 x1 (Side)






VIZIO Class XVT Series TruLED XVT472SV 47-Inch 240 Hz sps LCD HDTV $1149.99


VIZIO’S 47” TruLED™ HDTV LCD continues to break the mold of traditional HDTVs, delivering the latest technologies for superior picture quality and sound! This direct type, backlit HDTV is comprised of 640 LEDs divided into 80 control blocks and utilities Smart Dimming™ to intelligently control these blocks, turning them on and completely off based on the content you’re watching. This cutting edge technology stops light leakage enabling you to achieve REAL 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio for rich, dark scenes delivering an experience that will blow you away. The Extreme VIZIO Technology series epitomizes what HDTV should be!

Features:
Costco extends manufacturers warranty to 2 years
Screen Size: 47” Diagonal (46.96" viewable)
A 47" panel is 62% larger in viewable screen surface than a 37" panel
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 1,400:1
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 2,000,000:1
Brightness: 500 cd/m2
Response Time: 5 ms
Viewing Angles (HxV): 178˚x178˚
HDTV Compatibility: 480i/480p//720p/1080i/1080p
Tuner: NTSC/ATSC/QAM
LED: Direct Type LED Backlight Technology with Smart Dimming - 640 LEDs (80 control Blocks)
Refresh Rate: 240Hz
3D Comb Filter
Progressive Scan
Picture in Picture
Smooth Motion
Dimensions (WxHxD):43.9” x 29.7” x 10” (w/stand) 43.9” x 28.1” x 4” (w/out stand)
Weight: 51.8lbs (w/stand) 46.5lbs (w/out stand)
Audio:
Speakers: 2 x 15W
Input/Output:
HDMI x4
Component Video x 1
S-Video Input x 1
Composite Video Input x 1
Stereo Audio out x 1
SPDIF x 1
RGB Input x 1
post #64 of 153
I was just looking at the 52" KDL-52VL150 online at Costco and the Reviews were not good.
I was thinking of getting the 52" if I can scrape up some more money but after reading all the problems in the Reviews I just don't know.
I got burned bad on a 46" Samsung DLP TV.
Its only three years old and it's not worth fixing.
It cost me right under $1000.
I'm so frustrated now because I'm not going to get a TV that's going to give me problems.
I don't understand why it's so hard to find and buy a good TV.
post #65 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabacab View Post

Thanks- Now I just have to weigh the the thought of spending an extra $349

Not worth the extra $349, imo.
post #66 of 153
Anyone know about the Sony KDL-46VE5 ?
I've been offered this model for $980.00 with a
Free Sony Blu-Ray player. It's 120hz with
100,000 to 1 contrast ratio.

Anyone?
post #67 of 153
I was all set to to go to Costco this weekend and pick this up, but after reading the numerous posts on AVSForum and Amazon regarding the KDL-46V5100 (equivalent to Costco KDL-46VL150) about red flashing, audio dropouts, problems with the remote, flashlighting, clouding, etc. and Sony's apparent refusal to acknowledge the problems with this series I think the safest thing is to steer clear.

I guess there is a reason this is going for such a low price.

If anyone does end up bringing this home, though, please post your experiences with this unit.
post #68 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief17 View Post

Can anyone confirm that the VL150 does not have the red flashing issue. I want to buy the TV, but that would be a dealbreaker for me.

That's what I want to know too. C'mon, someone has to know the answer or know of a post that says yay or nay on the red flashing. I am debating whether to buy the VL150, W5100 (if I can find it) or wait for the 2010 models (EX500). I was set on the V5100 but after reading about the red flashing and all the firmware nightmares, I decided it is not the right set.

Years ago, I bought a CRT that had issues and I didn't know it at the time. Eight months into owning it, it broke due to a known issue. I was able to haggle with the manufacturer to get it fixed but I want to avoid repeating that nightmare or anything similar. And spending $800-1200 hurts a lot more than $250 if it breaks right after the warranty.

I thought briefly about the Sammy UN40B6000 (BB has a good deal in ATL anyway) but my gut says go with a 46" TV and be happier than with the 40" wishing I would have gotten the 46". I can't wait to buy one but I have been shopping them since last April after all. It sure would be nice to watch the "Big Game" or Daytona 500 on a new set though. I will watch the Final Four and Masters on though. I know that much.
post #69 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgz1 View Post

I would go with the Vizio...the LED's should make for much better black levels than the Sony.

Thanks- I am now leaning towards the Vizio as it has more goodies and you just cant beat LED and 240hz.

The Sony looks so much smaller and the remote looks like you need a degree from MIT to run it. Plus all the nightmare reviews about Red Flashing and Bad Remote issues have me concerned. Just not happy spending the extra dough but the chap at Costco said I have 90 days and if the price goes down they'll reimburse me no problem.
post #70 of 153
Chief, Tallgntlmn and everyone else. Check out page 1 of this string. I read these the other night and thought the red flashes question was not on the vl150 and was fixed with a firmware patch. What's the latest?

Also, the funky remote seemed to come up in other posts but an equal number said that it works well. Just the luck of the draw?

Thinking about the W5100 if you can find one Check out sonystyle.com. Their prices are as good as any, free shipping and a no interest card deal is available. As of Tues nite, the S5100 is out of stock, but W5100 is good.
post #71 of 153
Jabacab-sorry I didn't get your name in the last post. The costco extra warranty is a good deal but I think the best part is the costco. They are aces. I have done returns, complained about stuff and even beefed because the spelled my kid's name wrong on his cake (Zing! the drawer opens-the money comes back and I didn't ask for a refund-I didn't even have the receipt with me) If they say bring it back or ask for a price adjustment they mean it. They are the most stand up biz since I closed mine.
post #72 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skokiebill View Post

Jabacab-sorry I didn't get your name in the last post. The costco extra warranty is a good deal but I think the best part is the costco. They are aces. I have done returns, complained about stuff and even beefed because the spelled my kid's name wrong on his cake (Zing! the drawer opens-the money comes back and I didn't ask for a refund-I didn't even have the receipt with me) If they say bring it back or ask for a price adjustment they mean it. They are the most stand up biz since I closed mine.

Skokiebill- No worries. So are you saying the Sony is the Best Buy out there at $799.99 (Sounds like you are)? I know the Sony name trumps the Vizio name all day long.
post #73 of 153
I just picked up this bad boy for the $799. But will not have it hooked up until next weekend.

It looks like this TV was selling fast at the $799 as there were only a few left when I got there at 7pm tonight. Wasn't actually ready to buy but my guess they would have been gone by Friday night.
post #74 of 153
Hmmm, looks like from reading the first page and another thread that the red flashes are when changing channels. Does that mean any source or only the internal tuner. I admit I may not quite understand the issue other than there could be one. It also appears most assume the panel in the VL150 is different than the V5100. Are those assumptions correct? If it's only the internal tuner, it may not matter to me because I would rarely use that unless I wanted a rain fade backup.

I will have a look at Costco for this one just to see what it looks like and if they have any. Seems they may sell out quick at this price. It it is out and the above assumptions are not correct, I reckon it may come down to what open box BB has after the "Big Game" or what liquidation goes on before the 2010's. I mentioned if I could find a W because the best price ones locally (Sears) are out of stock. Haven't checked Fry's and BB is usually running a high price. I know they are out there, it comes down to price for the W or Z. But at this point, I have held out for nearly a year. I have gotten to the point of thinking there will always be a better model/price and I should just do it already.
post #75 of 153
Just bought this set today. I have it hooked up to my PC (Nvidia 7600GT) via DVI-->HDMI. 1080p looks nice, however I am noticing a few issues:

1) Edges of the screen (right and left) appear dark, as if they are in shadow
2) When viewing certain shades of dark colors, and always during dark streaming video, I can see faint bands of white moving down the screen, like you see when viewing video of a TV image... (for instance, if you're watching the news and they show video of someone watching TV... if you know what I mean?) It's weird though... some black DVD content does not show the moving bands, while on others (especially streaming) it is very noticeable. This is bad enough to be a dealbreaker for me if I can't get it fixed... any ideas on what this is? Fiddling with the controls doesn't make it go away.

My video card has options to display at 24hz or 60hz. At 24hz the movement just goes much faster but is still noticeable. I know the TV is 120hz, but no matter what I do with game mode, motion flow on/off, etc. etc. it still shows up. Is this a hz issue? Video card issue? DVI-->HDMI issue? Any help would be appreciated.


3) In any input, corners of the screen appear to be much brighter than the others when the entire screen is black... I believe this may be the "flashlight" effect people have been talking about with these?

Xbox 360 over component looks great. I do not notice the moving band over that connection.

I have not noticed any of the autodimming, redflash stuff that people were talking about in the v5100 thread, although I have only had the TV on for a few hours now. (Been trying it out with a bunch of stuff though.)

Any input on any of the above would be helpful. It seems like a good deal and I'd like to avoid the hassle of hauling this thing back to Costco!
post #76 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey415 View Post

Just bought this set today. I have it hooked up to my PC (Nvidia 7600GT) via DVI-->HDMI. 1080p looks nice, however I am noticing a few issues:

1) Edges of the screen (right and left) appear dark, as if they are in shadow
2) When viewing certain shades of dark colors, and always during dark streaming video, I can see faint bands of white moving down the screen, like you see when viewing video of a TV image... (for instance, if you're watching the news and they show video of someone watching TV... if you know what I mean?) It's weird though... some black DVD content does not show the moving bands, while on others (especially streaming) it is very noticeable. This is bad enough to be a dealbreaker for me if I can't get it fixed... any ideas on what this is? Fiddling with the controls doesn't make it go away.

My video card has options to display at 24hz or 60hz. At 24hz the movement just goes much faster but is still noticeable. I know the TV is 120hz, but no matter what I do with game mode, motion flow on/off, etc. etc. it still shows up. Is this a hz issue? Video card issue? DVI-->HDMI issue? Any help would be appreciated.


3) In any input, corners of the screen appear to be much brighter than the others when the entire screen is black... I believe this may be the "flashlight" effect people have been talking about with these?

Xbox 360 over component looks great. I do not notice the moving band over that connection.

I have not noticed any of the autodimming, redflash stuff that people were talking about in the v5100 thread, although I have only had the TV on for a few hours now. (Been trying it out with a bunch of stuff though.)

Any input on any of the above would be helpful. It seems like a good deal and I'd like to avoid the hassle of hauling this thing back to Costco!

Straight from the manual.
PC and HDMI Input Signal Reference Chart
After connecting the PC to the TV, set the output signal from the PC according to the chart below.
~
This TV's PC input does not support Sync on Green or Composite Sync.
This TV's PC VGA input does not support interlaced signals.
Resolution
Horizontal
frequency (kHz)
Vertical
frequency (Hz)
Signals Horizontal Standard
(Pixel)
× Vertical
(Line)
VGA 640 × 480 31.5 60 VGA
SVGA 800 × 600 37.9 60 VESA Guidelines
XGA 1,024 × 768 48.4 60 VESA Guidelines
WXGA 1,280 × 768 47.8 60 VESA
1,360 × 768 47.7 60 VESA
SXGA 1,280 × 1,024 64.0 60 VESA
HDTV 1,920 × 1,080 67.5 60 CEA-861

It should be set to 60HZ.
Manual.
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL40V5100.pdf
post #77 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabacab View Post

Anyone know about the Sony KDL-46VE5 ?
I've been offered this model for $980.00 with a
Free Sony Blu-Ray player. It's 120hz with
100,000 to 1 contrast ratio.

Anyone?

its better to check first on the sony showrooms before buying from someone else.., some specs and pricing are not the same
post #78 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypurgatory View Post

Straight from the manual.
PC and HDMI Input Signal Reference Chart
After connecting the PC to the TV, set the output signal from the PC according to the chart below.
~
This TV's PC input does not support Sync on Green or Composite Sync.
This TV's PC VGA input does not support interlaced signals.
Resolution
Horizontal
frequency (kHz)
Vertical
frequency (Hz)
Signals Horizontal Standard
(Pixel)
× Vertical
(Line)
VGA 640 × 480 31.5 60 VGA
SVGA 800 × 600 37.9 60 VESA Guidelines
XGA 1,024 × 768 48.4 60 VESA Guidelines
WXGA 1,280 × 768 47.8 60 VESA
1,360 × 768 47.7 60 VESA
SXGA 1,280 × 1,024 64.0 60 VESA
HDTV 1,920 × 1,080 67.5 60 CEA-861

It should be set to 60HZ.
Manual.

Thanks Chris, however at 60hz the moving bands of white appear to be the worst. I am also limited to only being able to select between 60hz and 24hz on the Nvidia control panel, and can't seem to find any way to set the horizontal and vertical frequency individually.

Has anyone else noticed these faint bands rolling down the screen?
post #79 of 153
I bought the Sony KDL-46VL150 from Costco yesterday. First thing I noticed after putting it on the stand is that it leans forward slightly. This TV was going to take the place of a Vizio SV420XVT. So I set up the Sony and my very first impression was that it looked washed out compared to the Vizio.
I messed with all of the settings, but it is no where near as sharp as the Vizio.
I'm not sure what word I'm looking for here to describe it, cloudy, blurry, almost like looking through a pair of dirty glasses or something. I had the Ravens Patriots game recorded on my DVR, it was definitely not "Smooth". I'm returning it and I'm going to get either the Vizio SV421XVT or that 47 LED model. I guess it was too good to be true, 46" for $799.00, arrrgghhh.
post #80 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKKG View Post

I bought the Sony KDL-46VL150 from Costco yesterday. First thing I noticed after putting it on the stand is that it leans forward slightly. This TV was going to take the place of a Vizio SV420XVT. So I set up the Sony and my very first impression was that it looked washed out compared to the Vizio.
I messed with all of the settings, but it is no where near as sharp as the Vizio.
I'm not sure what word I'm looking for here to describe it, cloudy, blurry, almost like looking through a pair of dirty glasses or something. I had the Ravens Patriots game recorded on my DVR, it was definitely not "Smooth". I'm returning it and I'm going to get either the Vizio SV421XVT or that 47 LED model. I guess it was too good to be true, 46" for $799.00, arrrgghhh.

Did you make sure to turn off the Light sensor? That was one thing I didn't realize when I got my 40VL160. Turning it off makes a big difference!
post #81 of 153
Hi folks. Long time lurker, first time poster. I bought one of these (KDL-46VL150) yesterday at the local Costco in Bridgewater, NJ. I called in the morning and the woman I spoke to told me there were 23 (including the display model) in stock. I asked her if she thought they would sell out, and she reassured me that they would have one for me (sounded like she thought I was crazy). Well, I went after work, got there around 8pm and there were only 4 left.

Anyway, I got it home, set it up with with a FIOS STB with HDMI and my old non-bluray dvd player using composite inputs and played around with it. I put Star Trek (2009 version) in and I noticed a curious thing. As I hadn't hooked it up to my receiver yet, I was just using the TV speakers. On my previous TV (old 36" Sony Trinitron CRT) speakers, I recall being able to distinctly hear the computer voice asking questions in that scene on Vulcan with all the Vulcan children in their little learning rooms. No matter how I adjusted the sound settings though, I wasn't able to distinctly make out what the computer voice was saying, without turning the volume way up. So either I was remembering the scene wrong, or else the VL150s speakers seemed really muddled. Anyone else notice this?

Also, no red flashing or remote problems for me, though I didn't play with it that much. Everything image wise seemed to work fine, although I did turn motionflow(?) off for Star Trek, because it looked really cartoonishly unnatural with it on.

I had earlier ordered a Philips 47PFL6704D from Target.com. Originally, they told me I wouldn't receive it until after the Super Bowl, which is what made me go out and get the Sony. Of course, now they say they're going to deliver it today. I know Funai makes Philips now for the North American markets, so I fear reliability. But I am tempted to go home tonight and hook them up side by side and see what they look like. Only, I think that the Target store will probably (deservedly so) give me a hard time when I try to return the Philips.
post #82 of 153
Thanks Setzer, I'll try that when I get home. I'm really hoping that's it.
post #83 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKKG View Post

Thanks Setzer, I'll try that when I get home. I'm really hoping that's it.

It's under the General Settings. I also turned off the Power save option. Both of those options were on by default. Hopefully that fixes the problem for you!
post #84 of 153
I picked up the Vl150 yesterday at Costco. THe warranty is 2 years from Sony so Costco doesn't add another year. I bought it on my AMEX card to get an additional year warranty so that makes it 3 years total. I'm coming from a 10 year old HD Toshiba TW40X81 set so that has been my reference for the past 10 years.

Out of the box the picture didn't excite me but after letting it warm up for an hour I adjusted various settings and the picture looked stunning. Black are very deep and whites are also excellent. My room is very dark so no ambient light. I also have the TV connected to a Richard Gray power conditioner. Believe it or not this P.C. elevates color saturation and black level as well.

The only obvious problem was when I was watching Lost and with a black background and only text in the center of the screen, you could see a light halo on the bottom of the text. The 4 corners also show a very dim blurry light but to be honest, this doesn't bother me.

I watched some HD NFL network programming and it looked fantastic, no motion issues at all. The clarity was amazing indeed. Audio is so-so through the TV speakers but that's to be expected. I'll be looking forward to adjusting more settings and seeing what it is capable of in the next few days but for $799.00, I think it's a great deal....so far.
post #85 of 153
I just checked sonystyle.com for the lower priced models. The KDL46S5100 is $780; the VE5 Eco is $1050 and includes a free Sony Blu-ray and the W5100 is 1230. All are delivered prices (Free delivery on 399 and up) and are eligible for 24-month free financing.

It sounds like there is the occasional dog out there, but from what I have read there are more people who have had no problems or disappointments from this set than the ones with complaints.

I have been shopping since New Year and the price fluctuation is maddening. Up, down, up down. I think that the pricing at Frys is done by a chimp at the keyboard. I watched the price of LG's 47LH50 go from $800 to $1500 over the course of a weekend. Their store is in a suburb about 45 minutes from me so I can resist the temptation to shop there.
post #86 of 153
Nice review -- am getting excited about picking this up. Can anyone who has one comment on if there is any picture degradation from a viewing angle a little below or to the side?
post #87 of 153
Sounds like a great TV Skokie! Regarding the backlight bleeding through in the corners, sometimes that can be fixed by tightening the screws on the back. But like you said that's not something that would really bother me either. My only problem now is if the Sony will fit in my car. I have a 2006 Civic Si.
post #88 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgz1 View Post

Sounds like a great TV Skokie! Regarding the backlight bleeding through in the corners, sometimes that can be fixed by tightening the screws on the back. But like you said that's not something that would really bother me either. My only problem now is if the Sony will fit in my car. I have a 2006 Civic Si.

THe VL150 box is 8 1/2" X 32" X 52".
post #89 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgz1 View Post

Sounds like a great TV Skokie! Regarding the backlight bleeding through in the corners, sometimes that can be fixed by tightening the screws on the back. But like you said that's not something that would really bother me either. My only problem now is if the Sony will fit in my car. I have a 2006 Civic Si.

I have an 07 EX sedan. I, too, would like to know if I would have any trouble getting it in the backseat.
post #90 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon777 View Post

Nice review -- am getting excited about picking this up. Can anyone who has one comment on if there is any picture degradation from a viewing angle a little below or to the side?

When I saw the set at Costco it didn't appear to have any picture degradation when viewing it at different angles. That was one thing I specifically looking at because the KDL-40VL160 I have now has this problem. Can anyone else who purchased this already please comment on the viewing angles?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › how is this Sony KDL46VL150??