Finally, some more progress!
Tonight I put together the first of the grilles for the columns. I wasn't sure if my construction plan would work so I just started with one.
First, I built the frame. Basically, I built a top and bottom plate using 1/2 plywood and corner trim to create an overhang.
Since my corners probably aren't exactly 45 degrees, I opted to use round dowels for the front supports to allow for more margin of error.
I added some blocks at the ends of the dowels for added strength. The assembly is glued and finish nailed together.
I used some automotive body filler to fill in the gaps and sanded the corner trim to match the radius of the dowel.
Then, I stretched the fabric over the frame. Here you can see how the fabric is installed around the corner trim overhang.
And the finished grille panel.
And here it is, friction fit in its new home. The grille stays put very well on its own, but is still easily removable to access the speaker which it hides.Edited by meyer64 - 9/16/13 at 8:06pm