or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Argosy HV335T - Anyone know anything?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Argosy HV335T - Anyone know anything? - Page 8

post #211 of 555
"It's pathetic most Linux folk can't unite to provide viable "alternatives."

But there are some alternative firmwares out there. They don't really add all that much in terms of why I have the Argosy in the first place. I'm not looking at menus, I'm playing archived movies and I'm using the Argosy for its portability. Watch movies at home, take it to cabin on the weekends, watch movies there if we choose. It does what it is suppose to do. Its a great value.
post #212 of 555
"I hope they keep the Argosy as simple as it currently is."

Preach it brother. Can I get an "Amen"?
post #213 of 555
Agreed, being too flashy gets annoying very quick, there are themes I like for my OS but find myself reverting to plain old simple interface in less than 20 minutes since all the flashiness just seems to get distracting and in the way. but like Rob says its all a matter of opinion, I didn't find his previous comments offensive.

People shouldn't be so quick to assume people are being sarcastic or offensive he was trying to be respectful and tell you that you're entitled to your own opinion and you are. He's simply stating that plenty of people are more than happy to keep the interface.

Personally I chose the HV335T for its simple interface, if it looked anything like the med8er box I would give it away to a familly member.
post #214 of 555
No worries Rob. I too am cranky, especially over this topic. The manual is buried somewhere on Argosy's website (I think that's where I found it). And I'm not sure why I rtfm'd, as I rarely do. There's not much in it other than the home button that I too missed.

But when I buy a Linux gizmo, the only place I think Linux is everywhere (in my movie because Linux is intentionally complex and visually repressed typically on the argument, we don't want to waste resources which is no longer a real concern), the first thing I tend to do, is see how I can get complete functionality out of a perfectly good computer. That typically makes me search out hacks to get to the computer because the vendor has done their best to cripple functionality, so they can upsell me later, or because they don't want to evolve/improve.

I realize I could choose another unit... Or, as a second time customer and wanting to buy another, I can request Argosy improve year over year instead of regressing on the number of keystrokes I press to get to a movie or song by about 2x, as happened between my 2 boxes. It's called keeping up with competition and they could offer both options.

I also object to today's crap customer service and being squashed by you bought what you bought mentality, f-off. But that position is also Argosy's choice and this is a dead horse, which is quite rotten.
post #215 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
"It's pathetic most Linux folk can't unite to provide viable "alternatives."

But there are some alternative firmwares out there. They don't really add all that much in terms of why I have the Argosy in the first place. I'm not looking at menus, I'm playing archived movies and I'm using the Argosy for its portability. Watch movies at home, take it to cabin on the weekends, watch movies there if we choose. It does what it is suppose to do. Its a great value.
I said viable. The great thing about the Linux community is their hacks and the effort fine folk put in to getting around vendor's lockdowns and shortcomings. The best hack alternative, as I understand it, causes the activity light to constantly flicker. This leads me ignorantly to believe my hd may always be running.

Regardless, I did not debate the value. Mine was $69, - hd, and worth every penny. It's also a regression vs. my old Argosy.
post #216 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHungWong View Post
People shouldn't be so quick to assume people are being sarcastic or offense he was trying to be respectful and tell you that you're entitled to your own opinion and you are. He's simply stating that plenty of people are more than happy to keep the interface.

Personally I chose the HV335T for its simple interface, if it looked anything like the med8er box I would give it away to a familly member.
Too many posts but... LHW, Rob did smack me, which is fine, and I was being sarcastic.

I believe I started my new Argosy journey finding your fw updates as alternatives. If so, thanks for the effort. I also saw you disappear when folks requested visual "improvements". I agree with to each his own.

Cheers.
post #217 of 555
Wow didn't think anyone would notice, thats exactly why I disappeared, I really hate flashiness but hey, I can see why some people would love it
post #218 of 555
I read through your work and it was the clear exit point.
post #219 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJungle View Post
I read through your work and it was the clear exit point.
+1 .... over and out!
post #220 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHungWong View Post

Wow didn't think anyone would notice, thats exactly why I disappeared, I really hate flashiness but hey, I can see why some people would love it

The reason I would like to see it is because I think it would be much easier for people to use. You could set it up where even grandma could scroll down the list of movies and read a description for whatever movie she wanted. It would also make it easy enough that little kids who cant even read very well could pick out their cartoon or favorite movie because of the pictures. I just think it would be much easier to use. If users wanted a plain screen with the list of movies like it currently is, Argosy could have a menu option that would keep it the way it is or turn background images on. That way everybody would be happy.
post #221 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe citizen View Post

The reason I would like to see it is because I think it would be much easier for people to use. You could set it up where even grandma could scroll down the list of movies and read a description for whatever movie she wanted. It would also make it easy enough that little kids who cant even read very well could pick out their cartoon or favorite movie because of the pictures. I just think it would be much easier to use. If users wanted a plain screen with the list of movies like it currently is, Argosy could have a menu option that would keep it the way it is or turn background images on. That way everybody would be happy.

It doesn't matter. Folk like LHW do this for fun, free, and in their spare time for the benefit of others. IMO, asking him to "play" with stuff he doesn't like is akin to sticking needles in his eyes or poking him with a stick. We can only hope Argosy understands the gap, someone else picks up the torch, or learn programming (or buy other gear).

I worked for the last Unix company for over a decade and had this conversation with product bosses. Many, or maybe most, believe graphics should be minimal/rudimentary and the core should be complex. It's a fundamental reason why ignorant people like myself can't rid my house of M$ yet. I wait for Ubuntu to fully get there, but this is a primary gap...
post #222 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJungle View Post

... I worked for the last Unix company for over a decade ... most believe graphics should be minimal/rudimentary and the core should be complex.

That's because the "core" is where the actual work is done. I'm guessing you are a programmer of sorts, and surely you know how easy it is with modern tools to throw something together that looks impressive, yet functionally does little. How often I've had to tear apart some VB programmer's "cute" code that just couldn't get the job done due to some basic flaw in the underlying data algorithm. Granted, not the appropriate forum for this topic, but it all comes back to the basic form vs function dichotomy.
post #223 of 555
While the topic has shifted to personal preferences, because at the end that is really what it is, what one person or the other would like the UI to look like, the firmware has been updated to 2.34.

MY PERSONAL view on the GUI topic... the way it is now works and works well, is simple and easy to use (scroll up or down), it would be more attractive if it had a description and some graphics, that is for sure, but not a must have option for me.

As oppose to what I read with other boxes, even with the same chip set, this box plays everything and anything that is out there, which to me is more important than anything else. Now, if someone would like to design a nice front end GUI for this box I'll use it!
post #224 of 555
Nah, too much credit. I worked in the gap between Humans and Engineers and somehow have friends on both sides. I know enough though and get the argument. Nevertheless...

I stubbornly still submit to the Linux gods if they're listening, DOSShell, please substitute Linux equivalent, isn't appropriate forever for Humans. Most Humans have never seen DOSShell, especially in this decade. And yes, I know where to stick my submission.

Apologies for way too many words. I liked where Joe was going and for selfish reasons piled on. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
post #225 of 555
post #226 of 555
No. DOSShell, I think I have the name right?!, was the 1st menu system (I saw) laid on top of DOS. It's virtually the same as Argosy's layout and requires users to know a little about computer guts (or the cloud).

Don't let them see you running Windows here! And thanks for the headsup on new fw.
post #227 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJungle View Post

...

Don't let them see you running Windows here! And thanks for the headsup on new fw.



OK

post #228 of 555
Many of those DOS menus were batch files behind numbers in its own batch file.
post #229 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

Many of those DOS menus were batch files behind numbers in its own batch file.

That's how most startup and update scripts run in Windows.
post #230 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

That's how most startup and update scripts run in Windows.

Hmm. I wrote my own nested bats back in the day. It didn't occur to me the "pretty" ones were written the same way.

I'll give up my position if either of you tell me you surf the web via a cli or simple menu.
post #231 of 555
Not to detract from your enthusiastic conversation but...
Was this thread about the Argosy HV335T?
I love a good conversation on a good topic,
but my interest on this thread is the Argosy
post #232 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfZo View Post

Not to detract from your enthusiastic conversation but... my interest on this thread is the Argosy

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

... the firmware has been updated to 2.34.


Okay you got it... fourth update to a minor rev two months old... think I'll sit back and let you guys beta this one.
post #233 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfZo View Post

Not to detract from your enthusiastic conversation but...
Was this thread about the Argosy HV335T?
I love a good conversation on a good topic,
but my interest on this thread is the Argosy

Funny.

Did you need some support? We cover that in between the debate...
post #234 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJungle View Post

Funny.

Did you need some support? We cover that in between the debate...

NO, I just don't need email notices for new posts other than those related to this device in this topic
post #235 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfZo View Post
NO, I just don't need email notices for new posts other than those related to this device in this topic
Spoken like an Engineer assigned to this thread.

There are 3 UI RFEs;
1. Keep it the same
2. Revert to the old Argosy UI (or allow the option in settings), ie. turn it on, default to internal hdd structure. I already have audio (or music), pictures and video folders. Clicking through 6 or 8 selections is noise to get where I know I'm going each time. The old way was also All media by default, it's more efficient. Toggles in settings can't be very difficult.
3. Keep pace with the competition and provide a content rich UI as an alternative.
post #236 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJungle View Post
... default to internal hdd structure. I already have audio (or music), pictures and video folders ... I know I'm going each time... All media by default, it's more efficient.
Agreed, and my biggest gripe - the music/video is superfluous and just adds an unnecessary step.
post #237 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe citizen View Post

Nice additions to the firmware but the UI is still clunky and is starting to get left way behind other boxes like Popcorn Hour, Playon!, Mede8er, Xtreamer, TVIX, Boxee, WDTV etc... If I were a new potential customer I would have to look at other options. Even if Argosy doesnt want to do a full redo on the UI, is it too much to ask them to support a firmware that would allow background images for menus and folders? I wouldnt think it would be too hard to implement something like that. With a background image feature you have a quick and easy way to compete with some of those other more robust UI's without doing a full UI redo on the Argosy. It would be a good solution to drastically improve the UI fairly quick and easy.

That's why potential customers went for the names you mentioned and the result? Check Amazon. One star reviews out the wazoo with clear, consistent issues. Who cares how pretty the UI is, if the unit comes cracked out with bugs and all kinds of problems. You're just rollin' the dice when you buy these things, so when I saw the Argosy had few reviews I wasn't too excited but when I saw it had zero 1 star or consistent complaints like DOA, QC, bugs - I figured I'd give it a shot.
post #238 of 555
I have three Argosy's, one for each A/V setup in the house. The only real issue I've had is that the oldest one won't work on our newest TV, a Toshiba LCD in the bedroom. The DTS logo shows up when when it first powers up, then I get a "no signal" banner on the screen. But this one unit works fine on the Sony in the LR so I just chalk it up to a weird HDMI handshake problem. The two newer units work fine anywhere.

When playing mp3's over SPDIF there is a split second pause at the start of each track... annoying but we don't use it for that very often. Also I hate the USB/Network mode. AFAIK you have to power the unit down fully to switch from USB mode to standalone mode. The bright blue LED is obnoxious, but they're putting those on everything these days, and I've become an "expert" at applying stickies over them.

One more thing, which is probably the fault of the USB network adapter they supply... ours only connects to WEP, not WPA. We have two routers setup in the house.... some other devices will connect to one but not the other. Most confusing is some work on the other one. Go figure! Easy to work around but too trivial to justify a lot of hair pulling.
post #239 of 555
George,

You left out an option.

As long as the Arogsy works and does as advertised I don't care about the UI so do whatever you want with it....
post #240 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post

That's why potential customers went for the names you mentioned and the result? Check Amazon. One star reviews out the wazoo with clear, consistent issues.

Totally false. You might have a person or two that has an issue with each player but by and large the average star for all of these boxes including the Argosy is 3.5 - 4.0 stars. Go to Newegg which has sold the most HV335Ts and has the most reviews on the HV335T and you will find many complaints including 1 and 2 star ratings.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post

Who cares how pretty the UI is, if the unit comes cracked out with bugs and all kinds of problems. You're just rollin' the dice when you buy these things.

Are you seriously trying to claim the HV335T is this bug free unit that has no problems or issues? Thats laughable. Argosy isnt any better than any of the other media player companies and maybe worse. The HV335T has continuously had issues with bugs. Firmware 2.2 for example was so bad and buggy Argosy actually had to pull it from their website and give users the ability to downgrade the players it was so messed up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Argosy HV335T - Anyone know anything?