or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Samsung BD-C6900 3-D Blu-Ray Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung BD-C6900 3-D Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 3

post #61 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars99 View Post

So is the "automatically fit", etc... portion of their advertisement false?

Not really. But.... as I said it is mainly a DVD function. I have yet to see it work on BD with any of my previous players including Samsung and Panasonic. I'm not a believer in it anyways.

S~
post #62 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronorkis View Post

I cannot get this player to connect to my wireless access point. I have successfully connected my IPAD, 2 laptops, and a few hard-wired devices are wired to it, using WPA security. I can find my network, I am asked for a security key, which i provided, and it just sits there and eventually gives me the cant connect to wireless ap.

Has to be something I am missing here. I setup nothing in the players connection settings. Kept everything auto, and just tried to connect. Is it possible, the wireless adapter in the 6900 is too weak?

I am going to try and hardwire it tonight if I can get a long cable.

I'm not sure if you're still having problems with this, but I couldn't get mine to connect, either. The problem was I don't broadcast my network SSID. However, as soon as I allowed my SSID to broadcast, I was able to connect.

My current problem is that I now have two samsung bluray players - does anyone know if it's possible to assign different remote codes to each?
post #63 of 1233
Hi,

Just got this player.

Is there a way to shut off on screen messages such as FF/RW etc..


I also would like to know if this normal.. I am on 1010 firmware, when I press play to start the BD of Avatar I can hear lots of fairly loud random clicking noise as it makes it's way to the start menu.. Then it plays noise free.. This Seemed odd to me?
post #64 of 1233
On point 3....the disc drive mechanism is quite loud in this player...that's what you're hearing.

On your other two points...I haven't encountered those. I would suggest turning BD Wise off though and get a Universal remote!
post #65 of 1233
I purchased this player last week. Since then I have watched a view BR discs.

The player was hooked up directly to my TV using an HDMI cable and audio was provided to my receiver over an optical cable.

Star Trek and Avatar played with no issues, I didn't notice any lengthy load times, and they looked great. I too have had issues with this player not being able to resume playback. This is my first BR player and I don't know if this is something they all have in common.

Monsters Vs. Aliens 3D also had no issues with playback. However there is ghosting present in certain scenes, which is distracting. Its not enough to ruin the movie for me, but it is disappointing. I have not yet updated the firmware on the player.
post #66 of 1233
Has anyone tried connecting this player to their TV via their A/V receiver?

I have tried, without success, to get 3D to work while the player is connected using the HDMI switching capability of my Denon AVR-1909. When I try playing Monsters Vs. Aliens 3D with this setup I get some message about no 3D content being detected.

When I connect the player to the TV directly using the same cable I am using to connect the receiver to the TV, 3D works fine.

I am wondering if the HDMI switch in my receiver is somehow limiting the bandwidth of the HDMI connection.
post #67 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeta4 View Post

Has anyone tried connecting this player to their TV via their A/V receiver?

I have tried, without success, to get 3D to work while the player is connected using the HDMI switching capability of my Denon AVR-1909. When I try playing Monsters Vs. Aliens 3D with this setup I get some message about no 3D content being detected.

When I connect the player to the TV directly using the same cable I am using to connect the receiver to the TV, 3D works fine.

I am wondering if the HDMI switch in my receiver is somehow limiting the bandwidth of the HDMI connection.

The A/V receiver needs to be HDMI 1.4 for 3D to work. The Denon 1909 is only HDMI 1.3
post #68 of 1233
When I set the 6900 to 24fps and play a blu-ray, across the bottom of the screen there is a bright multi colored bar about 1/2 an inch tall. If I play the same blu-ray disc with 24fps off it goes away. Most noticeable with movies that are greater than 16:9 and have the black bars top and bottom. The TV is a Samsung DLP.

Anyone else seeing this?
post #69 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfi View Post

The A/V receiver needs to be HDMI 1.4 for 3D to work. The Denon 1909 is only HDMI 1.3

This could be the issue, no doubt. However, I am not sure if such a requirement for HDMI 1.4 is true, as the cable I use to connect the player directly to my receiver is not rated HDMI 1.4.

Anyone else have experience hooking the player up through a receiver?
post #70 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfi View Post

When I set the 6900 to 24fps and play a blu-ray, across the bottom of the screen there is a bright multi colored bar about 1/2 an inch tall. If I play the same blu-ray disc with 24fps off it goes away. Most noticeable with movies that are greater than 16:9 and have the black bars top and bottom. The TV is a Samsung DLP.

Anyone else seeing this?

I have the BR player set for 24 fps. I have not seen this with any of the BR discs I have watched.
post #71 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeta4 View Post

This could be the issue, no doubt. However, I am not sure if such a requirement for HDMI 1.4 is true, as the cable I use to connect the player directly to my receiver is not rated HDMI 1.4.

Anyone else have experience hooking the player up through a receiver?

Denon has already said it won't work as has Onkyo and a few others. It is not so much the bandwidth per se as it is the EDID table. If the receiver says it won't handle it, it won't take it. There is no such thing as a 1.4 cable. Cables are now rated by features, such as high speed, return audio, etc.

S~
post #72 of 1233
Is there a resume play feature that I'm not finding? If in the middle of a blu-ray I switch back to the main screen or to mess with the settings, pressing play starts the movie from the beginning including all the annoying ads.

Anyway to bypass this and have the movie resume from its last position?
post #73 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars99 View Post

Is there a resume play feature that I'm not finding? If in the middle of a blu-ray I switch back to the main screen or to mess with the settings, pressing play starts the movie from the beginning including all the annoying ads.

Anyway to bypass this and have the movie resume from its last position?

Lars,

It depends on how the disc was authored. If it's an older Blu-ray, it most likely doesn't have a resume function on the disc. For it to work, it has to be programmed into the Java code.

Also, don't exit your movie to the main menu, just bring up the menu overlay while the movie is playing (or paused). Hit the "Pop-Up Menu" to do this instead of "Top Menu or Main Menu." There's nothing wrong with your player.
post #74 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeta4 View Post

This could be the issue, no doubt. However, I am not sure if such a requirement for HDMI 1.4 is true, as the cable I use to connect the player directly to my receiver is not rated HDMI 1.4.

Anyone else have experience hooking the player up through a receiver?

Most shorter cables will pass HDMI 1.4 signals but they may not fully support the full spec (Ethernet), but 3D should work fine.
post #75 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfi View Post

When I set the 6900 to 24fps and play a blu-ray, across the bottom of the screen there is a bright multi colored bar about 1/2 an inch tall. If I play the same blu-ray disc with 24fps off it goes away. Most noticeable with movies that are greater than 16:9 and have the black bars top and bottom. The TV is a Samsung DLP.

Anyone else seeing this?

Have you used another BD player with 24fps without this problem? If so, it's the player...return it for a new one. If not, it may be your display. See if you can borrow a friends to see if the same thing happens.
post #76 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Lars,

It depends on how the disc was authored. If it's an older Blu-ray, it most likely doesn't have a resume function on the disc. For it to work, it has to be programmed into the Java code.

Also, don't exit your movie to the main menu, just bring up the menu overlay while the movie is playing (or paused). Hit the "Pop-Up Menu" to do this instead of "Top Menu or Main Menu." There's nothing wrong with your player.

They were all newer blu-rays (Sherlock Holmes, Star Trek, etc...).
I'll start using the pop-up menu- thanks.
post #77 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars99 View Post

They were all newer blu-rays (Sherlock Holmes, Star Trek, etc...).
I'll start using the pop-up menu- thanks.

Neither of those offer resume. Most Disney Blu-rays do and some of Sony's.
post #78 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeta4 View Post

Monsters Vs. Aliens 3D also had no issues with playback. However there is ghosting present in certain scenes, which is distracting. Its not enough to ruin the movie for me, but it is disappointing. I have not yet updated the firmware on the player.

You need to update the firmware for TV as well.. The ghosting issue is caused from the samsung TV.. The latest update 1019 addresses it, and adds a new setting in the TV's 3D menu.. The player's current firmware is 1010 which addresses playback issues with Avatar.
post #79 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Denon has already said it won't work as has Onkyo and a few others. It is not so much the bandwidth per se as it is the EDID table. If the receiver says it won't handle it, it won't take it. There is no such thing as a 1.4 cable. Cables are now rated by features, such as high speed, return audio, etc.

S~

There are 1.4 cables and they have a smaller connector than the 1.3. And yes they do provide a different set of capabilities . Check the sites that sell cables and you will find them. That is not to say a 1.3 cable will not work ( with firmware update the PS3 will). But to get the full fuction you will need a firmware update were possible or an AVR with 1.4 connectors such as the newer Onkyo receivers and a 3d TV.
post #80 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Have you used another BD player with 24fps without this problem? If so, it's the player...return it for a new one. If not, it may be your display. See if you can borrow a friends to see if the same thing happens.

I don't have another 24fps blu-ray player but I do not see the problem when playing 1080p/24fps VOD from directv.
post #81 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfi View Post

I don't have another 24fps blu-ray player but I do not see the problem when playing 1080p/24fps VOD from directv.

I would go and exchange the player or take it to the store and see if it does the same thing on one of their displays.
post #82 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I would go and exchange the player or take it to the store and see if it does the same thing on one of their displays.

Just tried again with the latest FW and the problem is gone.
post #83 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfi View Post

Just tried again with the latest FW and the problem is gone.

Great to hear. It's an excellent player.
post #84 of 1233
I'm getting this player along with the ph58c8000 next week. This will be my first HDMI(BD)-HMDI(receiver)-HDMI(tv) setup. My previous setup I had to use the analog out of the BD to the receiver. The reason was my old TV didn't have HDMI and I wanted full audio so I split the video and audio paths. But I'm afraid I'm still in trouble. My receiver doesn't decode all the HD audio formats!! So, can someone tell me... do I still need to split the video and audio paths and go into the receiver with analog??

thanks
post #85 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeta4 View Post

Has anyone tried connecting this player to their TV via their A/V receiver?

I have tried, without success, to get 3D to work while the player is connected using the HDMI switching capability of my Denon AVR-1909. When I try playing Monsters Vs. Aliens 3D with this setup I get some message about no 3D content being detected.

When I connect the player to the TV directly using the same cable I am using to connect the receiver to the TV, 3D works fine.

I am wondering if the HDMI switch in my receiver is somehow limiting the bandwidth of the HDMI connection.

Is you receiver HDMI 1.3?

I'll be doing the same and I didn't even think about the receivers HDMI bandwidth. I hope thats not a problem.
post #86 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank3030 View Post

Is you receiver HDMI 1.3?

I'll be doing the same and I didn't even think about the receivers HDMI bandwidth. I hope thats not a problem.

My receiver supports HDMI 1.3a processing and switching. I was hoping that putting the HDMI setting to passthrough would allow for viewing of 3d content, but no dice.

I received the following reply from Samsung.

"At present there are not Home Theater or receiver's which are compatible of passing the 3D functionality from the Blu-Ray Player to the TV. In order to view the 3D in the TV you need to connect the Blu-Ray Player BD-C6900 directly to the TV."
post #87 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeta4 View Post

My receiver supports HDMI 1.3a processing and switching. I was hoping that putting the HDMI setting to passthrough would allow for viewing of 3d content, but no dice.

I received the following reply from Samsung.

"At present there are not Home Theater or receiver's which are compatible of passing the 3D functionality from the Blu-Ray Player to the TV. In order to view the 3D in the TV you need to connect the Blu-Ray Player BD-C6900 directly to the TV."

Not at all true. I guess Samsung doesn't even know their own product line. They released an inexpensive receiver at the same time as the player and 7000 that has 3D passthrough. BB setups used it. Pioneer models are out already as is the Onkyo 608.

S~
post #88 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeta4 View Post

My receiver supports HDMI 1.3a processing and switching. I was hoping that putting the HDMI setting to passthrough would allow for viewing of 3d content, but no dice.

I received the following reply from Samsung.

"At present there are not Home Theater or receiver's which are compatible of passing the 3D functionality from the Blu-Ray Player to the TV. In order to view the 3D in the TV you need to connect the Blu-Ray Player BD-C6900 directly to the TV."

So isn't this a problem? I admit I haven't looked at the BD player in detail but this means I need to connect the player to the TV and because it only has one HDMI output I will have to use the analog for audio. And, it also means a second video cable from the receiver to the TV for the other devices.

Do we know why the receiver can't pass the "3D" signal. Is it strictly a bandwidth issue?
post #89 of 1233
google 3D Receiver and you'll find several brands that are now boasting 3D capable
post #90 of 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank3030 View Post

Do we know why the receiver can't pass the "3D" signal. Is it strictly a bandwidth issue?

part bandwidth part it isn't written into the table.

S~
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Samsung BD-C6900 3-D Blu-Ray Player Thread