or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 48

post #1411 of 3052
There is a six part documentary on the Big Apple Circus called appropriately enough 'Circus'.

Really good and we have had a episode / night this week. Thank the wife for finding this one.
post #1412 of 3052
WE pretty much really loved RED STATE...Really out there...Kevin Smith is sooo under rated IMHO.
post #1413 of 3052
I tried one of the new Korean releases, "Handphone" and though not mentioned in the details it did have subtitles. Though NF thought I wouldn't like it, I found it a bit novel and enjoyed it:
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Handphone/70205071
post #1414 of 3052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Another movie I've been anticipating, Armadillo, also did.

I watched this yesterday, and definitely recommend it. Similar to Restrepo, and worth a watch.
post #1415 of 3052
Antichrist, a psychological thriller starring Willem Dafoe, about a couple who lose their baby boy and their struggles to cope with it.
post #1416 of 3052
The Ward, A John Carpenter film Horror Thriller.

The content is typical horror.
I liked the audio soundtrack. It's 5.1, I only have Pro logic but the sound separation is impressive.

The HD visual is good, he bends the image using optics on one scene.
post #1417 of 3052
I never seen "Breaking Bad" but have heard so much about it. Noticed it was on
NetFlix..all 3 seasons.

Needless to say I'm hooked and currently having a BB marathon with 2 episodes left

Is there a season 4 or is season 3 the latest ?
post #1418 of 3052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

I never seen "Breaking Bad" but have heard so much about it. Noticed it was on
NetFlix..all 3 seasons.

Needless to say I'm hooked and currently having a BB marathon with 2 episodes left

Is there a season 4 or is season 3 the latest ?

I agree. BB is the best TV show I ever saw. Season 4 is on the air now, but Season 3 is the latest on streaming.
post #1419 of 3052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

I agree. BB is the best TV show I ever saw. Season 4 is on the air now, but Season 3 is the latest on streaming.

That's Great news..I get to watch another season...4 seasons and didn't have to
wait week to week for years on end

I hear alot of talk about Weeds ...is it worth watching ...is it as good at BB ?

Thanks again !
post #1420 of 3052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

That's Great news..I get to watch another season...4 seasons and didn't have to
wait week to week for years on end

I hear alot of talk about Weeds ...is it worth watching ...is it as good at BB ?

Thanks again !

The shows are fairly different; at it's heart Weeds is funny with dramatic aspects. Start with the very beginning episodes and if you like them you probably will like the series as it progresses.
post #1421 of 3052
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post


The shows are fairly different; at it's heart Weeds is funny with dramatic aspects. Start with the very beginning episodes and if you like them you probably will like the series as it progresses.

Imo Weeds changes pretty dramatically as the seasons progress. Season 1 is great and possibly on par with breaking bad. As the show continues though it gets more and more ridiculous losing a lot of its heart and suddleties that made it good.
post #1422 of 3052
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrone06 View Post

Imo Weeds changes pretty dramatically as the seasons progress. Season 1 is great and possibly on par with breaking bad. As the show continues though it gets more and more ridiculous losing a lot of its heart and suddleties that made it good.

+1 I thought it really went downhilll for the reasons specified here. The characters in Weeds have mostly become joke delivery machines. It's a sitcom without a laugh track now, and not very good.

Breaking Bad is a completely different kind of show, with the only point of similarity being drug dealing. Also, Breaking Bad is visually interesting, which Weeds isn't. BB is about what people will do when desperation challenges their values. In Weeds, Nancy seems to have no values, which makes her surprising behaviors less interesting.
post #1423 of 3052
Shink I'll steer clear of Weeds then..Doesn't sound like my type of a show..I don't care for sitcom/comedy type of shows..never did.
post #1424 of 3052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

Shink I'll steer clear of Weeds then..Doesn't sound like my type of a show..I don't care for sitcom/comedy type of shows..never did.

I gave Weeds a shot awhile ago, but it never really drew me in and I gave up after maybe a half-dozen eps.

Breaking Bad however sucked me in immediately. I'm about half way through season 3 (the last season available for streaming), and am trying to find somewhere season 4 is available. I set it up on my DVR once I got hooked, but that was too late to catch the entire season, so I only have the last 5 episodes recorded.
post #1425 of 3052
^^^
Breaking Bad just finished broadcasting season 4. It isn't available anywhere right now, as far as I know.
post #1426 of 3052
Season 4 is available on Vudu.
post #1427 of 3052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Season 4 is available on Vudu.

Yeah, I saw that. I have a hard time justifying $3/episode, even if I then own it. It's cost me $24 to buy the 8 eps I don't have on my DVR.

I think I'll just wait to for the reruns or rent the discs. I don't know that AMC reruns their shows that much though, but here's hoping.
post #1428 of 3052
Yup, "owning" is not a good option. It should be 99 cents an rental episode. I guess that's not enough revenue to spread around.
post #1429 of 3052
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Yeah, I saw that. I have a hard time justifying $3/episode, even if I then own it. It's cost me $24 to buy the 8 eps I don't have on my DVR.

I think I'll just wait to for the reruns or rent the discs. I don't know that AMC reruns their shows that much though, but here's hoping.

They'll rerun it at the minimum a couple months before the new season ..
post #1430 of 3052
Thread Starter 
This is one of the better movies I've seen this year. Went through a wide range of emotions while watching it. Can't recommend it enough. Even though it's SD, the PQ is pretty decent.

Castaway on the Moon
post #1431 of 3052
The Bleeding House is a Tribeca festival film and if you're into "indies" and slower moving films it may be your "cuppa tea". I liked it but indies are my cuppa tea.
post #1432 of 3052
I just noticed that Touching the Void is available on Watch Instantly.

This is a great documentary about a couple of mountain climbers who get in a bit of trouble while climbing in South America. It's interleaved with excellent reenactments which really let you understand what was going on.


Mitch
post #1433 of 3052
Faces in the Crowd .. which hit streaming about the same time as disk release ..

Not a bad serial killer type fim .. and interesting to see how Milla Jovovich has aged since Fifth Element .. she still looks good, but not as good as they had her in Resident Evil / Afterlife

In Fifth Element, that girl was hot, hot, hot ..
post #1434 of 3052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post

I just noticed that Touching the Void is available on Watch Instantly.

This is a great documentary about a couple of mountain climbers who get in a bit of trouble while climbing in South America. It's interleaved with excellent reenactments which really let you understand what was going on.


Mitch

Yes - great film - based on an equally extraordinary book!
post #1435 of 3052
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda110 View Post

Nice movies, thanks

You are welcome

And welcome to AVS ..
post #1436 of 3052
The Lazarus Project - 2008.

Title was added to Netflix on November 1. Stars Paul Walker and starts out promisingly enough and gradually draws you in. Other movies with similar themes will come to mind, it has a slow measured pace but I found the ending wanting. Worth a view if you've exhausted your 'have-to-watch' list.
post #1437 of 3052
Kingdom of War Pt.1 and Pt.2

The wife and I just finished this. It's an excellent six-hour movie. Set in the 16th century, it's the true story of the life of the Thai king who won independence from Burma. Filmed on location in Thai with subtitles. It's full of political intrigue, beautiful women, and some great battle scenes.

The production values are quite high and my wife, who has spent considerable time in Thailand, says the costuming and locations looked authentic.

There were times when I lost track because of the shear numbers of characters, but the basic story is pretty simple and soon enough I was drawn back into the movie. Highly recommended.
post #1438 of 3052
Screen At Kamchanod is a fairly decent Thai ghost story about a movie that when shown at a theater draws ghosts. I like the way that Asian films deal with the supernatural which is part of their culture over the way that American films do. This film has one problem in that whatever idiot encoded it put the subtitles at the very bottom instead of in the "safe area" and they were cut off on my 53" HD RPTV so I wound up watching it on my computer and even then the descenders on the subtitles were cut off. Where on earth do they get such amateurs to do encoding?
post #1439 of 3052
Sweet Land (2005) - A quiet slow moving period piece (following WWI) taking place in Minnesota. An independent production with a small budget based on a short story. Worth a look if this type of movie appeals to you.
post #1440 of 3052
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds