or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 8

post #211 of 3068
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

has anyone seen anything about HBO's Pacific coming to netflix instant?

I got an email from a buddy that knows the cousin of the janitor lol

ok I have heard rumors but nothing so far.

i don't think anything from hbo goes to netflix streaming.
post #212 of 3068
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLJ View Post

i don't think anything from hbo goes to netflix streaming.

Nothing much; you can see the pitiful list here. Showtime is much more into it (here), offering past seasons of their hottest properties.
post #213 of 3068
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

... A true story. Unbelievably sad. Not recommend for those coping with recent loss.

It's obviously low budget, but the story is where this film shines.
post #214 of 3068
you can also check out trailors of new movies on imadeamovie.com
post #215 of 3068
Had a question, have been enjoying thirtysomething and the first two seasons had every episode available to watch but the last two seasons have over 50% of their episodes missing (they are labeled as disc only) and was wondering if anyone knew why. Is it a music rights problem or some strange copyright thing? Why would Netflix make them available if they are incomplete? Just curious and it's frustrating because the 3rd season has a pretty powerful storyline that can't be enjoyed because of the missing episodes. thanks for any info.
post #216 of 3068
Thread Starter 
I believe it's usually some kindof licensing issue with something in the episodes (could be a song or a guest star or anything....no real way to know)

There are a few TV shows like this. Quantum Leap and The Greatest American Hero spring to mind, but I'm sure there are quite a few others.
post #217 of 3068
Thread Starter 
The Stoning of Soraya M.

Powerful and disturbing. And true.


I also see Michael Jackson's This Is It is available now. Not sure I have much desire to watch that, but my wife does.
post #218 of 3068
TiMER
post #219 of 3068
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

TiMER

I looked at that the other day. The description sounds horrible. Is it good?
post #220 of 3068
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I looked at that the other day. The description sounds horrible. Is it good?

I though it had a good idea behind it, the acting was great and it's a pretty fresh plot. Worth a watch IMO..
post #221 of 3068
Great movies from the past.
I was looking thru list and found these that I think are great movies.

Zulu not in HD ...cry....might be better to rent in Wide Screen if you have never seen it

3 Days of the Condor HD

my name is nobody...great fun but non HD
post #222 of 3068
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

TiMER

Ok, I gave it a shot. Not really my type of movie, but it was good for what it was. Liked that it wasn't quite as predictable as I thought (and of course you have to just accept the plot idea/technology of the TiMER device). Overall a decent recommendation though, and definitely a good "couples" movie to watch with the wife/girlfriend.
post #223 of 3068
When You're Strange This is a great rockumentary about The Doors, featuring a ton of original band footage and lots of details. Though I am not a huge fan, I have long recognized that The Doors forged their own unique sound as only a few other bands have ever done, such as the B-52's, Rage Against the Machine, and The Talking Heads. Seeing how zonked Morrison was all the time it is amazing that they managed to record such a large collection of classic material. They seemed to make their best music with the least amount of direction; their first album was recorded in 5 days, and the quintessential "LA Woman" in a little over a week. Great stuff if you are a music wonk like me.
post #224 of 3068
Saint Ralph - a great feel good movie with a wonderful sense of humor.
post #225 of 3068
In case anyone was interested, the Swedish version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was just added to streaming (of course I grabbed it immediately and will be watching this tonight) Also two different docs: Tales From the Script, a very witty and insightful look at the world of screenwriting and Aftermath: The Remnants of War (I read this book years ago when it first came out and it was great) that shows the long lasting effects of war such as removing mines from the Serb/Croatia war, the teams in France that collect shells and bombs still in the country from both world wars, the human toll of Agent Orange on people in Vietnam and the immense battlefield at Stalingrad that has become a cemetery with millions of soldiers, both German and Russian. It's very absorbing and quite fascinating.
post #226 of 3068
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

In case anyone was interested, the Swedish version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was just added to streaming (of course I grabbed it immediately and will be watching this tonight)

One of the best movies I've seen in a while. Totally engrossing, but quite violent.

I rate it 5 stars. I saw the Blu-Ray version.
post #227 of 3068
Thread Starter 
I highly suggest the hilarious movie, Black Dynamite. Saw it on Blu awhile back, but it's on streaming now.

I haven't laughed so hard at a movie in a long time.
post #228 of 3068
I have been a member of netflix for over 2 years and am now finding that there customer service is crap. They sent me a message that about called me a criminal. I have never stolen a DVD from them. So when my movies didn't show up over the 4th of July weekend i had to wait the 3-4 days to report the issue only to wait another 3-4 days to have them review the issue. Only to have them tell me that if more come up missing ... See More they will close my account..! NETFLIX IS CRAP!!!!!!!!!!
post #229 of 3068
Quote:
Originally Posted by dneily View Post

One of the best movies I've seen in a while. Totally engrossing, but quite violent.

I rate it 5 stars. I saw the Blu-Ray version.

I'd have to agree. When I rented it, I was afraid it would be sub titled only, however, the dubbed English worked out pretty good. It gets my vote as the best crime mystery I've seen in many years. Two thumbs up..
post #230 of 3068
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertony View Post

I have been a member of netflix for over 2 years and am now finding that there customer service is crap. They sent me a message that about called me a criminal. I have never stolen a DVD from them. So when my movies didn't show up over the 4th of July weekend i had to wait the 3-4 days to report the issue only to wait another 3-4 days to have them review the issue. Only to have them tell me that if more come up missing ... See More they will close my account..! NETFLIX IS CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is devoted to Netflix Instant Watch recommendations from members.. not really the place to gripe about your experience with Netflix...
post #231 of 3068
Quote:
Originally Posted by dneily View Post

One of the best movies I've seen in a while. Totally engrossing, but quite violent.

I rate it 5 stars. I saw the Blu-Ray version.

Really enjoyed this, too. Excellent acting, interesting story. I haven't read the book(s) but I may go back now and do that. I was surprised to see it available for streaming so quickly, since I had it in my DVD queue for a 'long wait' and it showed up in the mail just as the instant one became available. Glad it had the subtitles, too ... I much prefer watching these in the original language.
post #232 of 3068
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

Really enjoyed this, too. Excellent acting, interesting story. I haven't read the book(s) but I may go back now and do that. I was surprised to see it available for streaming so quickly, since I had it in my DVD queue for a 'long wait' and it showed up in the mail just as the instant one became available. Glad it had the subtitles, too ... I much prefer watching these in the original language.

All of the Netflix streaming foreign films that I've watched have been subtitled, for which I am very grateful. I've heard some god-awful dubs. (I took a listen to a little of the dubbed soundtrack of Crouching Tiger, having just watch it with subtitles--it was comical ).
post #233 of 3068
check out 50 Dead Men Walking.
post #234 of 3068
Thread Starter 
Definitely check out Mary and Max.

One of the best and unique animated (stop-motion) movies I've ever seen. Funny, sad, and poignant, dealing with adult themes such as alcoholism, mental retardation, loneliness, neglect, and coming to terms with who you are.

Can't say enough good things about it. And it's in HD and looks really good.
post #235 of 3068
I just got Mary and Max on BD from Netflix, didn't know it was streaming. Oh well
post #236 of 3068
Wild China - series, 6 episodes. Watched episode 1 with my wife. Neither of us are particularly fans of your typical "nature" documentary, but this one is a cut above and we both are enjoying it. BBC spared no expense with the filming, with stunning aerial and night shots. All in HD that looks spectacular. It mixes in some cultural details to make it more interesting.
post #237 of 3068
Recently watched "The Battle of Algiers" filmed in 1966 it tells the explosive story of the Algerian battle for independence from over a century of French colonial occupation. You almost think you are watching documentary footage - an excellent example of cinema verite and in fact I read that there was only one professional actor in the film. American military has recently used this film to help train American officers in Iraq & Afghanistan. See the film and you'll see why it is still relevant & topical 50+ years later.

Also watched "Our Man in Havana" a wonderful send up of spying with Alec Guinness & Ernie Kovacs - marvelous adaptation of the Graham Greene classic - but suffered from numerous dropouts/buffering interruptions. Anyone know why some on demand selections play perfectly while others have an infuriating number of interruptions?
post #238 of 3068
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

All of the Netflix streaming foreign films that I've watched have been subtitled, for which I am very grateful. I've heard some god-awful dubs. (I took a listen to a little of the dubbed soundtrack of Crouching Tiger, having just watch it with subtitles--it was comical ).

Found a fantastic Italian classic, Visconti's The Leopard, with Burt Lancaster, Claudia Cardinale, Alain Delon -- unfortunately it's the dubbed to English version that's streaming. Hope the original shows up, eventually.
post #239 of 3068
Can't find the post now, but thanks to whoever recommended Pandorum, which is a great sci-fi horror romp. It runs along the lines of Alien, Resident Evil, and 28 Days Later so if you enjoy those you may enjoy this one as well. I didn't plan to watch it in one sitting but it kept me up past my bedtime.
post #240 of 3068
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLoaf View Post

Can't find the post now, but thanks to whoever recommended Pandorum, which is a great sci-fi horror romp. It runs along the lines of Alien, Resident Evil, and 28 Days Later so if you enjoy those you may enjoy this one as well. I didn't plan to watch it in one sitting but it kept me up past my bedtime.

I second that recommendation. I didn't expect to enjoy that film nearly as much as I did. So few pictures manage to deliver an ending which surprises me, but this one pulled it off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds