or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV › Canceling Comcast Cable?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Canceling Comcast Cable?

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
I was wondering if I could take my Comcast cable boxes to a center to cancel it? I know that if they come out and remove them they charge you for it.
post #2 of 39
Call them to be sure but I took my equipment to their lobby and got a receipt. Don't forget to officially terminate the service. Even if they acknowledge receipt of the equipment, they can claim they must physically disconnect your residence. There should be no charge for that truck roll.

YMMV
post #3 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgold View Post

I was wondering if I could take my Comcast cable boxes to a center to cancel it? I know that if they come out and remove them they charge you for it.

WTF? No, there is no charge if they come out and take your equipment if you are canceling. Why are you canceling? If you are unhappy with the price, call up and ask to cancel, then they will offer you a deal to stay almost every single time. HOWEVER, if you simply call and say you are thinking of canceling they will give you zip! Also, always refuse the first offer even if you like it! :-)
Best,
Chris
post #4 of 39
Rather than coming out to pick up your equipment, they may elect to ship you boxes within which to ship the equipment back to them. Personally, I would recommend dropping them off at the Comcast office yourself, so you can be sure to have a receipt for the return.
post #5 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

I would recommend dropping them off at the Comcast office yourself, so you can be sure to have a receipt for the return.

This is what I was thinking! The guys that come out never do anything right!

I do think they have cancellations charges. I do say "I'll Cancel" and they drop the price, but then they always change it a few months later. Besides I'm switching to using a Roku.
post #6 of 39
Quote:


I do think they have cancellations charges.

Did you sign up for a special deal?
If not there are no cancellation charges.
post #7 of 39
Yeah, the only cancellation charge should be an early termination fee if you're still under contract. Otherwise, it's just sayonara.

I do agree, take the box in and get a receipt. Then nothing should come back to bite you later.
post #8 of 39
If you want to cancel service completely, you better call. Returning the boxes may just cancel the rental fees for them.
post #9 of 39
Thread Starter 
Currently I don't think I"m on any "Special Plans" that Comcast has. You never know with them! I guess there should be no removal costs. I believe I was told by a representative once that there was a "Cancellation Charge!"
post #10 of 39
Thread Starter 
I just called Comcast and CANCELED! They didn't say there were any cancellation fees. I was also surprised they didn't say they needed the equipment. Do they charge for the equipment even if you've canceled though? Do they just not care about picking it up?
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Rather than coming out to pick up your equipment, they may elect to ship you boxes within which to ship the equipment back to them. Personally, I would recommend dropping them off at the Comcast office yourself, so you can be sure to have a receipt for the return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

I do agree, take the box in and get a receipt. Then nothing should come back to bite you later.

Here, it is the customer's choice, whether they want to take them to the Comcast office, have them picked up by a Comcast tech., or have Comcast send a parcel box/label for the customer to send them back; I wouldn't use the latter, indeed due to no receipt for the cable boxes and/or modems.

The first two choices are equally fine, as they would give the customer a receipt in either case.
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgold View Post

I just called Comcast and CANCELED! They didn't say there were any cancellation fees. I was also surprised they didn't say they needed the equipment. Do they charge for the equipment even if you've canceled though? Do they just not care about picking it up?

What do you think? Seriously, they cost $, so of course, they care. If you didn't return them, Comcast would bill you for them. If still not returned, they would send the bill to collections. However, I recall hearing that sometimes they don't even bother to bill the customer, and if they don't get them returned, they just eventually send the bill (that they never sent) to collections.
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike6by9 View Post

Don't forget to officially terminate the service. Even if they acknowledge receipt of the equipment, they can claim they must physically disconnect your residence. There should be no charge for that truck roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

If you want to cancel service completely, you better call. Returning the boxes may just cancel the rental fees for them.

Exactly, there is service cancellation and there is cable equipment return.
post #14 of 39
Not only that, the equipment is Comcast specific and useless without their activation. So there's really no reason to keep it anyway.
post #15 of 39
Thread Starter 
When my brother moved and canceled DirectTV they didn't even bother coming to get the satellite and equipment! It's to much trouble for something they won't use. He even asked about it and they said "Your welcome to get it down yourself."

He left the satellite dish, and I don't think he was charged anything. Of course that was DirectTV and I'm dealing with Comcast.
post #16 of 39
Dish and DirecTV want you to leave the dishes up so if you ever move out and new tenants move in, they'll be enticed to consider getting service, assuming it's a current dish. Or if you decide to go back to the service, they don't have to contract out the installation (they almost always have some other service install the things.) If the dish is obsolete, they don't want it back anyway.

Cablecos tend to want the current boxes back because they can always lease it to someone else. They never sell boxes in the United States, only lease. If you have one of their boxes, just take it by their office, tell them you canceled, and get a receipt. You can't use the box anyway. It's useless without Comcast sending a signal to it.
post #17 of 39
Thread Starter 
Tulpa I doubt that Comcast will use the boxes again. Anytime a Technician came out they would always bring brand new equipment, or if I went to a local office they would give me new equipment.

Of course, I'm not stupid! They probably will charge me for keeping them, even if they won't use them. I'll take them back when they officially shut it off in a couple days.
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgold View Post

Tulpa I doubt that Comcast will use the boxes again. Anytime a Technician came out they would always bring brand new equipment, or if I went to a local office they would give me new equipment.

You've been lucky. You can find dozens of complaints posted in various forums regarding how the cable company gave a subscriber a (perfectly fine, working) STB or DVR that had an exterior cabinet that was beat-up or otherwise unappealing to the subscriber because it was clear that it was a refurb. These boxes cost way too much for service providers to use as long as they're providing the service.
post #19 of 39
Yeah, it's pretty random whether you get new or old boxes, but believe me, they use them as long as they can receive a current signal.

Plus, people try to resell them on eBay and they don't want that.
post #20 of 39
Thread Starter 
The boxes I have now I got when they did the Digital switchover. So I assume that they didn't have many ones that were refurbished.

I got one replaced when it was giving me trouble. The tech clearly gave me a new one.
post #21 of 39
Thread Starter 
Someone just told me that you actually either pay for the Equipment upfront or they charge you for them only for the first few months. I looked at my last Billing Statement and I noticed "DCT Converter, Remote" listed under the Promotion. Does that mean I am renting the units? I'm confused. How does this whole cable equipment rental thing work?
post #22 of 39
I have never heard of free equipment from Comcast except as part of a promotion that eventually ends. Cablecos nearly never give you equipment, it is always a loan or a rental in this country.
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgold View Post

Someone just told me that you actually either pay for the Equipment upfront or they charge you for them only for the first few months. I looked at my last Billing Statement and I noticed "DCT Converter, Remote" listed under the Promotion. Does that mean I am renting the units? I'm confused. How does this whole cable equipment rental thing work?

The experts here on AVS say that cable boxes are not sold in the USA anymore; they rarely were, anyway. You are renting the cable boxes; whether there is a nominal fee or not, is just the shell game Comcast plays with pricing cable boxes rentals. Sometimes, they charge the full fee, other times it is a partial (upgrade) fee, and still other times it isn't even itemized; (and it can change with the expiration of a promotion.) Of course, all this leads to customer confusion, but what do they care; that might be the purpose, for all we know.
post #24 of 39
Yeah, I've never seen an option to buy a cable company cable box in the US. TiVo and Moxi can be bought, but that's not the same thing.
post #25 of 39
Thread Starter 
There is a little sticker on the box. This is what it says:

This equipment is the property of Comcast. It is the sole responsibility of the subscriber to return this equipment to Comast in an undamaged condition no later than ten (10) days after service has been disconnected. You agree to pay us the fair market value of any unreturned equipment. Some devices can cost up to $500.00 depending on the model. For pick-up, please call 1-800-Comcast.

Of course I called Comcast today and asked "Could someone come pick-up the equipment" The operator said "Comast doesn't do that!"
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgold View Post

I was wondering if I could take my Comcast cable boxes to a center to cancel it? I know that if they come out and remove them they charge you for it.

yes you can
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgold View Post

Of course I called Comcast today and asked "Could someone come pick-up the equipment" The operator said "Comast doesn't do that!"

They do, so just call again, until you are able to talk to someone who knows what the heck they are talking about.
post #28 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

Call again, until you are able to talk to someone who knows what the heck they are talking about.

Ok, I will! They make this all so confusing so they can bite you with those Fees!
post #29 of 39
Thread Starter 
I returned the equipment yesterday! The roads and traffic we're bad, but at least it's done now! Only took about 2 minutes. I noticed there were a few other people returning equipment there too.
post #30 of 39
I returned my equpiment to Cox 14 months ago. I have saved a lot of money in the last 14 months. I now use OTA in HD and DVDs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV › Canceling Comcast Cable?