or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › ATI HD 5000 Series Known Problems (5870 5850 5770 5750 5670 5570 5450)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATI HD 5000 Series Known Problems (5870 5850 5770 5750 5670 5570 5450) - Page 54

post #1591 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by avr1910 View Post

Anyone, please, its a really annoying issue for me.

I wonder if it's a receiver issue. With my Yamaha HTR6160, what happens when I turn off, or on, the TV is that it will try to handshake for a second but music would continue to play regardless. The only issue I had was the silent stream bug (10.5 here).

Will switch over to 10.6 when I get the chance.
post #1592 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by kin0kin View Post

I wonder if it's a receiver issue.

I haven't such problem at all with my ATI 5450 (10.4) and onkyo 1007. I can turn off TV and AVR, turn them on and get HDMI sound w/o any problems. And i didn't any EDID overrides yet. HDMI audio never lost.
post #1593 of 2707
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianeicher View Post

I'll have to give this a try. It's qam via a usb tuner.

It's probably easier if you check it with DVDs first since that's more of a common ground for all of us.
post #1594 of 2707
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by avr1910 View Post

Anyone, please, its a really annoying issue for me.

It might be the receiver, but regardless, you can get a Gefen HDMI detective or a Monoprice DVI Doctor w/ HDMI adapters on both ends (cheaper but no HDCP). That will fool the card into believing that both the AVR and TV are connected and turned on. Also fixes other problems some are having (not me admittedly) like having to turn on/off components in a specific order so not to lose connection and having to restart the PC.
post #1595 of 2707
Hi. I just read the last two weeks worth of Realtek related posts. Would someone be kind enough to let me know whether installing the Realtek driver still the preferred means of solving the silent stream bug and whether installing the Realtek driver causes the PowerPlay bug to occur?

At the moment, I'm streaming perfectly with ATI CCC 10.6 from MPC-HC, both TS_VIDEO and MKV, with the exception of the silent stream issue.

Thanks!

/jab
post #1596 of 2707
Thread Starter 
Are you using WASAPI exclusive mode with ReClock and/or foobar2000? And/or, are you using TMT3? If yes to any of those, the ATI driver is better. If no to all, then go with Realtek.
post #1597 of 2707
Hi, Andy. Thanks for the reply.

No foobar2000. No TMT3. I don't know of any reason to use ReClock, since I'm not using TMT3 and don't need ReClock for 24p from MPC-HC. Unless I'm missing something related to ReClock, the answers are all "no".
post #1598 of 2707
Thread Starter 
Then you'll be better off with Realtek rather than the ATI driver. You can still use foobar2000 and ReClock, only not with WASAPI exclusive mode. IMO if you're not running a 7.1 system it's not as necessary to use WASAPI exclusive. PowerDVD 9 and 10, WinDVD 2010 and ffdshow will all bitstream fine with the Realtek driver.
post #1599 of 2707
I'm running a 7.1 system. Does your comment about 7.1 systems only apply if one has another reason to use ReClock? As far as I know, there's no reason to run ReClock with MPC-HC for 24p when bitstreaming over an ATI HD5xxx. Is that right? Thanks again.
post #1600 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

You can check if DXVA is engaged with the AMD GPU clock tool. Install it, and it will tell you the UVD is "busy" when DXVA is being used. Win 7 MC should use HW accel by default for regular ATSC broadcasts. Do you have a cable box or just a regular tuner and antenna?

Ok, AMDGPUClockTool tells me there are no valid devices found. I've checked the drivers and they seem to be right. Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall?
post #1601 of 2707
I uninstalled the ATI HDMI audio driver and installed the RealTek R249 driver afterwards. However, my HDMI audio device no longer shows HDCP support or hi-def audio support, and all I get when playing Dolby Digital is static. I restarted after after uninstall and install. I tried manually removing devices (and drivers, when permitted) and reinstalling the RealTek drivers again, but I still get the same symptoms. A search of this thread for RealTek and static didn't yield anything.

Does anyone point me in the right direction? TIA. /jab
post #1602 of 2707
Thread Starter 
What exactly is the title of the HDMI device in the Windows Sound panel? Are you sure you installed the one titled ATI HDMI Audio Device (in red fonts) from the Realtek site?
post #1603 of 2707
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianeicher View Post

Ok, AMDGPUClockTool tells me there are no valid devices found. I've checked the drivers and they seem to be right. Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall?

Yeah, something's definitely not right there. Install again the 10.6 drivers, and do a custom install. There you can check manually what you're installing. Be sure to check the log afterward and see that everything was installed OK.
post #1604 of 2707
With the new 10.6 catalyst out and a lot of sound issues fixed I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade to 10.6 and also go for the ati hdmi driver and not the Realtek one.

The second reason was because I had distorted sound coming from my speakers when playing music via winamp. The strange thing about that is that I did have this issue before but it didn't occur for a while after I had upgraded to the newest Realtek driver at that time (about 1 month ago).

So now I have THE most wonderful issue ever.

The volume control (or mixer) of windows (the one you get when you click on the little speaker in your taskbar) automatically drops to zero. So when I put it to 100% I can see it going down all the way to zero.
I've tried reinstalling the audio driver, I've tried both the Realtek and Ati hdmi driver, but nothing seems to work.

Any thoughts?
post #1605 of 2707
Thread Starter 
Have you tried disconnecting all your input devices to see if it's a stuck key/command?
post #1606 of 2707
Andy, your call clearly, but I think it might at least be worth mentioning in the first post that the YCbCr green cast problem may well be fixed?

The problem was very easily visible here before and now I cannot see it, nor can Photoshop detect it in the admittedly crude () photo I took!

It would be good if sotti, or someone else could verify, maybe with better tools but I'm pretty confident.
post #1607 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Have you tried disconnecting all your input devices to see if it's a stuck key/command?

LOL sometimes life can be so easy.
I did think of that by setting it to 100% en immediately clicking on another window but that didn't seem to help either.

Well thanks for the help, disconnected my keyboard did the trick!
post #1608 of 2707
Thread Starter 
Yeah, but clicking on another window wouldn't help for example with system-wide commands like volume. Probably your keyboard has media keys?
post #1609 of 2707
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post

Andy, your call clearly, but I think it might at least be worth mentioning in the first post that the YCbCr green cast problem may well be fixed?

The problem was very easily visible here before and now I cannot see it, nor can Photoshop detect it in the admittedly crude () photo I took!

It would be good if sotti, or someone else could verify, maybe with better tools but I'm pretty confident.

oops haven't tested that yet. I'll try to do it when I get home.
post #1610 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Yeah, but clicking on another window wouldn't help for example with system-wide commands like volume. Probably your keyboard has media keys?

indeed it has a nice volume wheel, my GF probably cleaned it to much
post #1611 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

What exactly is the title of the HDMI device in the Windows Sound panel? Are you sure you installed the one titled ATI HDMI Audio Device (in red fonts) from the Realtek site?

Well, I thought I had, but I just downloaded another copy and the file name is different. I probably accidentally moved one row up or down as I moved my mouse across to the go button the first time. I'm a Moron. Sorry.

BTW, that link has changed to this:
Code:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High Definition Audio Codecs
I'll try the correct driver later today. Thanks for your help. /jab
post #1612 of 2707
Thread Starter 
That should be the correct link (you have to accept first). The download page cannot be linked directly AFAIK.
post #1613 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Yeah, something's definitely not right there. Install again the 10.6 drivers, and do a custom install. There you can check manually what you're installing. Be sure to check the log afterward and see that everything was installed OK.

I did a full uninstall and reinstall and no dice. I think there is something going on with the card.

I am also having trouble getting sound out. It's the displayport model and I can't get sound from it using a monoprice DP to HDMI adapter (heard it should work) or the DVI-HDMI cable from monoprice (heard it should work too).

I guess it's time to call ZZF and RMA, this time for a HDMI model.
post #1614 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

That should be the correct link (you have to accept first). The download page cannot be linked directly AFAIK.

Yes, I realize that. I've followed the link in your OP and the link you most recently provided, and both times, after accepting the license terms, I was taken to a page saying the object had been moved. Upon clicking the link provided for the new location, I was taken back to the "agreement" page and the process repeated. I haven't had that trouble with the link I posted.

Looking at my link vs. your link, mine contains spaces (didn't know that was even possible), whereas yours are escaped as %20. Maybe the issue is browser specific. I'm using Chrome. Regardless, the RealTek website seems flaky. It just dumped me back to their home page while navigating links.

In any event, if anyone else has trouble, I downloaded the driver by:

* Going to http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/
* Clicking High Definition Audio Codecs (Software)
* Clicking I accept to the above.
* After the page refresh, clicking Next
* Clicking one of the Go buttons directly beside the red text ATI HDMI Audio Device.
post #1615 of 2707
Thread Starter 
Weird, I'm not seeing the %20 either when I click on the link or just hover over it. It was probably the cookies though and not that.
post #1616 of 2707
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianeicher View Post

I did a full uninstall and reinstall and no dice. I think there is something going on with the card.

I am also having trouble getting sound out. It's the displayport model and I can't get sound from it using a monoprice DP to HDMI adapter (heard it should work) or the DVI-HDMI cable from monoprice (heard it should work too).

I guess it's time to call ZZF and RMA, this time for a HDMI model.

I see, that's very likely your problem. I don't think the DisplayPort in these cards carries audio. And for the DVI-HDMI audio to work, you need a special ATI dongle, not just any. And it gets worse, cause there are two or three types of ATI dongles. Probably less of a hassle to just exchange the card.
post #1617 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

I see, that's very likely your problem. I don't think the DisplayPort in these cards carries audio. And for the DVI-HDMI audio to work, you need a special ATI dongle, not just any. And it gets worse, cause there are two or three types of ATI dongles. Probably less of a hassle to just exchange the card.

Thanks for your help Andy, hopefully the XFX branded card (w/ HDMI) I ordered will work better.
post #1618 of 2707
Hello everyone...this is all very tech-speak for me!!!

Here's my problem:

I have a new build (on old mobo) PC as follows:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Asus EAH5670 1GB graphics
Intel E6600 @ 2.4GHz
533MHz RAM 2x 1GB in dual channel mode
Samsung F3 1TB HDD
Win XP Pro SP3 32bit

I am connecting this via HDMI to a Denon AVR1910 receiver which in turn is connected to a Samsung UE40B7020 TV

The PC displays perfectly @ 1920x1080 even when running some games.
I have had no end of trouble with audio via HDMI.

i started with the Asus drivers that came with the graphics card.
No HDMI audio device was available to select in Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices
I then downloaded the driver from asus' website and tried that...nothing
I then went to AMD and tried Catalyst10.4 and got the ATi HDMI rear outputs selectable in Windows.....no good
I tried Catalyst 10.5 and 10.6 with the same result....

so then I tried the Realtek HDMI audio driver 2.49 and Hurrah the Realtem HDA HDMI device can be selected in Windoze!!!

It even makes some sounds.....for a very short while - until you start using the mouse!! and then the sound disappears and never returns.....until you are closing windows down when you hear the end of the windows closing sound.....

It's driving me nuts!!

I've put in support calls at Asus and AMD but it seems this has them baffled.


please help me get audio working all the time!! the whole purpose of this machine was to serve music and play the odd game on the big telly...like this it's useless!!
post #1619 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigman893 View Post

Hello everyone...this is all very tech-speak for me!!!

Here's my problem:

I have a new build (on old mobo) PC as follows:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Asus EAH5670 1GB graphics
Intel E6600 @ 2.4GHz
533MHz RAM 2x 1GB in dual channel mode
Samsung F3 1TB HDD
Win XP Pro SP3 32bit

I am connecting this via HDMI to a Denon AVR1910 receiver which in turn is connected to a Samsung UE40B7020 TV

The PC displays perfectly @ 1920x1080 even when running some games.
I have had no end of trouble with audio via HDMI.

i started with the Asus drivers that came with the graphics card.
No HDMI audio device was available to select in Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices
I then downloaded the driver from asus' website and tried that...nothing
I then went to AMD and tried Catalyst10.4 and got the ATi HDMI rear outputs selectable in Windows.....no good
I tried Catalyst 10.5 and 10.6 with the same result....

so then I tried the Realtek HDMI audio driver 2.49 and Hurrah the Realtem HDA HDMI device can be selected in Windoze!!!

It even makes some sounds.....for a very short while - until you start using the mouse!! and then the sound disappears and never returns.....until you are closing windows down when you hear the end of the windows closing sound.....

It's driving me nuts!!

I've put in support calls at Asus and AMD but it seems this has them baffled.


please help me get audio working all the time!! the whole purpose of this machine was to serve music and play the odd game on the big telly...like this it's useless!!

Have you considered moving to Windows7?
post #1620 of 2707
Have you tried the new hdmi driver 6/16/10 for XP.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...fessional/Home

Haven't seen nor heard if it works, but it's there for XP.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › ATI HD 5000 Series Known Problems (5870 5850 5770 5750 5670 5570 5450)