or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Banana Plugs Seem Risky
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Banana Plugs Seem Risky

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Just got a bunch of open screw banana plugs from Monoprice. Installed first pair and was wondering if anyone else feels that banana plugs can be a risky investment? Seems that there is much more chance of crossing then if the wires were plugged directly into the speakers and receiver. I just may not be used to having plugs yet. Anyone else feel this way?
post #2 of 29
I have though about this, too, and will probably not use them for this reason. If I do end up going this route, I will wrap them with heat shrink tubing to help keep them from shorting. It just seems like a lot of extra effort, when using bare wire is just as effective.
post #3 of 29
Send back the open screw banana plugs and get the closed ones.
post #4 of 29
I was pretty disappointed that my new Pioneer Elite VSX-23 won't take dual banana plugs; the spacing on the receiver isn't right for them. They seem a lot less likely to short than the singles - when one plug comes out, both are out. I still use them on some of my speakers, though.
post #5 of 29
I don't have multiple sets of speakers, so I don't know if this is a problem for those of you that do, but wouldn't the easiest solution be to turn off your system before unplugging your bananas? Mine don't seem to want to come out on their own.
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

Send back the open screw banana plugs and get the closed ones.

I dont see how these are any more susceptible to shorting than a closed screw type. "IF" you install them correctly, there is no way they could short against each other. Just strip off as much cable jacket as the banana plug is wide. So there is no exposed wire coming out of either side of the plug. Here is mine using the open screw type.

post #7 of 29
As long as they are attached properly and as long as they are plugged in there should be no chance of shorting. If you are worried about shorting them when they are not plugged in, you should turn your equipment off before futzing. If you are still worried about that happening, you can insulate them with shrink wrap or even plain electrical tape.

Or use plugs that are somewhat protected. THESE plugs are insulated and designed with a taper that helps to inhibit the chances of shorting. Nice plugs.
post #8 of 29
i just bought them too. i fed the wire in from the back of the plug rather than the side and i don't have any issues or worries about my Denon 1803
post #9 of 29
If you are worried about shorting buy banana plugs that have a non-conducting outer barrel.
post #10 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brschmid View Post

i just bought them too. i fed the wire in from the back of the plug rather than the side and i don't have any issues or worries about my Denon 1803

I thought open types were meant to be installed as skid_68 had posted in the image?

@skid_68, what I did was strip off 2x as much length as the width of the banana plug. After twisting, I doubled the speaker wire back to itself making a U shape. Then insert the "thicker" wire into each plug. There is very little sticking out but felt that this give more contact space. Is that ok?
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

I thought open types were meant to be installed as skid_68 had posted in the image?

@skid_68, what I did was strip off 2x as much length as the width of the banana plug. After twisting, I doubled the speaker wire back to itself making a U shape. Then insert the "thicker" wire into each plug. There is very little sticking out but felt that this give more contact space. Is that ok?

I don't see anything wrong with that. As long as the wire doesn't stick out far enough to contact the plug next to it. I actually thought about doing it the same way. Also I tightened the screw with pliers, not just by hand. I didn't want that wire to wiggle it's way out if the screw wasn't tight enough.
post #12 of 29
Problem solved:

post #13 of 29
I'm using the monoprice plugs and I have no issues with it. Just cut enough wire so that it's not sticking out so far and you should be ok.
post #14 of 29
the monoprice open plugs allow for either feeding the wire through the back or the side.

I will post a pic when I get home tonight
post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brschmid View Post

the monoprice open plugs allow for either feeding the wire through the back or the side.

I will post a pic when I get home tonight

Thanks, I am interested to see how others install this. I have only installed 1 pair, still waiting to see if I want to do them all I already run 12 gauge wire but it's not that thick when you insert it on the side of the open screw plugs. Hence, I doubled-back on them (u shape).
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

Just got a bunch of open screw banana plugs from Monoprice. Installed first pair and was wondering if anyone else feels that banana plugs can be a risky investment? Seems that there is much more chance of crossing then if the wires were plugged directly into the speakers and receiver. I just may not be used to having plugs yet. Anyone else feel this way?

Its not a risk of banana plugs, but more with the way specific banana plugs were designed and manufactured. Exposed hot(electrically active) surfaces are a generally bad design choice. But that didn't prevent manufacturers from going down that road.

A properly designed banana plug, when its been inserted into its socket, will have no openly exposed active signal surfaces
post #17 of 29
Speaking of monoprice plugs, I originally bought the closed screw type from Amazon and liked them so much I went back for more a month later. They were now supplied from a different shop and were .01 per pr! I quickly ordered up several pair but noticed a review that talked about high shipping costs. Would you believe $5 per pair?

I verified this then cancelled my order. For 20 pairs the reviewer was going to pay $100, and I $30 for 6 pair. Crazy. I checked the price on monoprice(around 2.10) and ordered with under $3 for shipping the whole order. I went back to review my original purchase with a warning on the Amazon page, but they censored me! Claimed I wasn't reviewing the product.
post #18 of 29
I've used non-insulated banana plugs for a long time. They're 10x better than bare wire when plugging into the back of my receiver. At the speaker they're only about 2x easier. Love 'em and never had an issue with shorting. I always turn off the receiver before messing with my speakers. I actually had a "short circuit shut down" when dealing with bare wire once before.
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

Speaking of monoprice plugs, I originally bought the closed screw type from Amazon and liked them so much I went back for more a month later. They were now supplied from a different shop and were .01 per pr! I quickly ordered up several pair but noticed a review that talked about high shipping costs. Would you believe $5 per pair?

We must have been ordering the same plugs on Amazon! I also noticed the $5 per pair... and quickly canceled the order! Which ones did you order from Monoprice?
post #20 of 29
My guess would be the closed screw type since that's what he purchased from Amazon....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

My guess would be the closed screw type since that's what he purchased from Amazon....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

How often do the closed ones go on sale at monoprice? I almost jumped on the last open scree type sale a week or two ago, but decided I wanted closed screw instead.
post #22 of 29
Its random but even at $2.10/pr its very cheap!
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

I thought open types were meant to be installed as skid_68 had posted in the image?

The ones pictured can be used either way.
post #24 of 29
I had an unfortunate incident with banana plugs similar to these. I can't remember why but I was disconnecting the RCA cable just like the one you have there for your sub. It was really tight and when I pulled it out it fell out from my fingers and landed you know where and then something really bad happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid_68 View Post

I dont see how these are any more susceptible to shorting than a closed screw type. "IF" you install them correctly, there is no way they could short against each other. Just strip off as much cable jacket as the banana plug is wide. So there is no exposed wire coming out of either side of the plug. Here is mine using the open screw type.

post #25 of 29
Here are the pics of my setup, ignore the masking tape, it is so i can easily identify which is left or right.



LL
LL
post #26 of 29
Thread Starter 
Thanks brschmid! I am almost afraid to ask but would you mind removing one of the plugs and post a picture of how you inserted the inside portion? I am wondering what's the best way to insert and bend the bare speaker wires once it's inside the plug.
post #27 of 29
because i was getting frustrated trying to clean up all the wires the other day when i was setting up the new stand (look how dusty it is, and it is only 4 days old!) I just folded the wire over the top and clamped them down. i wanted to fold them over the top a little better(not just to one but at least 2), but just folding them over to one side and clamping them down seems to do the job. maybe someday i will get motivated to fix it, but it works just fine for now

there wouldn't be much to take a pic of.
post #28 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brschmid View Post

because i was getting frustrated trying to clean up all the wires the other day when i was setting up the new stand (look how dusty it is, and it is only 4 days old!) I just folded the wire over the top and clamped them down. i wanted to fold them over the top a little better(not just to one but at least 2), but just folding them over to one side and clamping them down seems to do the job. maybe someday i will get motivated to fix it, but it works just fine for now

there wouldn't be much to take a pic of.

Oddly enough, I did notice the dust. Guess that tells you what I look for in photos.

As for folding over, I am still trying ti see what you are describing. Normally, open screw types are installed like so:

http://www.audioholics.com/education...speaker-cables

Are you saying you installed it like Step 4 on Pg 1?

http://bluejeanscable.com/store/spea...ermination.pdf

TIA.
post #29 of 29
ya, similar to the blue jeans style. i tried the other way as well but i prefered how this way ended up. now i just need some more heatshrink to make them look more professional i may even get motivated and solder them
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Banana Plugs Seem Risky