First of all thanks to TG_ONE for having the kahunas to open up his panel. I had a theory about ID resistors a while back
but never would have guessed the IO assembly would be the one.
I successfully completed the swap last night and wrote up a detailed (information only) guide on my web site
which may help some people.
Also I noticed the SM recommends doing an "initialization" whenever the IO assy is replaced, although since the assy is technically different I wasn't sure if this is something that should be done. Since everything's working I'm reluctant to even try. The explanation is outlined in the clip below. Has anyone done this?EDIT
: I took the plunge and did it. No problems.
You'll need controlcal or hyperterminal.
1. Send the FAY command or Calibration ON with Controlcal to get into the SM
2. Press Mute a few times until you see the words "initialize" near the top.
3. Press the up or down arrow until you see "Auto Adjustment". Press Enter
4. Move right one to change the option to YES.
5. Hold down the enter button for 5 seconds.
6. The screen will flash a few green boxes then say initialization is complete.
7. Turn off the power with the remote. Then back on.