or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Help - Axiom M60 vs Aperion 5T vs Polk Audio Rti A7
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help - Axiom M60 vs Aperion 5T vs Polk Audio Rti A7

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Looking to upgrade the fronts and center of my 5-year old system. Currently have Polk Audio R300 and CSi25. The 4 surrounds on the rear wall and sub are from the RM6750 system. Due to space constraints, I will be keeping the surrounds.

My room is 14 x 21 ft but the HT area is 14 x 14 ft. Open kinda room that opens to the kitchen on one side, and leads to stairs right behind it on the other side.

Currently debating between the following combos:

Axiom - M60v2 ($990 pair) and VP100 ($255) or VP150 ($408)
Aperion - Intimus 5T ($990 pair) and Intimus 5C ($350)
Polk Audio - RTi A7 ($1100 new or $800 refurb) and CSi A6 ($450) or CSi A4 ($280)

What do you recommend between these three? I prefer warmer sound, and have been pretty happy with the Polks so far.

Thanks!
post #2 of 20
Based on feedback here the RTIs are far from warm aka bright: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post17712246
post #3 of 20
Cornhulio is on a mission. If I was him I would have gave up a year ago but no he still presses on. While I agree the RTi are bright they are still good for home theater. The axiom are also bright you forgot to mention that?
post #4 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the responses!

In fact the RTi's are the only ones I have listened to so far, and liked them a lot. I guess it depends on the level of warmth. E.g. I just can't stand Klipsch, Def Tech was better. Anyone done a direct comparison of RTi and other options (Aperion / Axiom)?

The Polk has 2 7" woofers, 1 6.5" for mids and a 1" tweeter for 35 hz - 26 khz range (-3 db). The Aperion has 2 5.25" mids and 1" tweeter for 55 hz - 20 khz range. Doesnt that make the Polks better than Aperion, esp on the lower end?

Have also been reading good things about Monitor Audio RS6 or the newer RX6. Any idea how that compares to the mix?

Am open to other ideas well within the about $1200 range for a pair of towers.
post #5 of 20
I really like my 6Ts across the front from Aperion. Give them a try in your own home, which IMO is the best way to audition. Free shipping both ways-no cost to you. Plus you have one year for upgrade if you want too, ten year warranty and excellent customer service.
post #6 of 20
The RTi A7 is not a bad speaker. It's definitely a bit bright, but that makes it a good home theater speaker. Cornhulio is definitely on a mission to give Polk speakers a bad rep on this board.

The Monitor Audio RS6, which can be had for $800/pair right now at SaturdayAudio.com, has a bit better performance overall (better clarity and imaging) compared to the RTi A7's. They are still a bit bright, but nothing extreme and most people enjoy them (including myself). I have not heard the Aperions or Axioms. For your budget, I don't think you can go wrong with the RS6's..
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menasor View Post

The RTi A7 is not a bad speaker. It's definitely a bit bright, but that makes it a good home theater speaker. Cornhulio is definitely on a mission to give Polk speakers a bad rep on this board.

The Monitor Audio RS6, which can be had for $800/pair right now at SaturdayAudio.com, has a bit better performance overall (better clarity and imaging) compared to the RTi A7's. They are still a bit bright, but nothing extreme and most people enjoy them (including myself). I have not heard the Aperions or Axioms. For your budget, I don't think you can go wrong with the RS6's..

I was shocked when my Polk CSI3 center was so bright and harsh on a music DVD that I would have had to either sell it or modify it. MDAUDIOGUY suggested putting one of my vintage audiophile polk tweeters (SL2000) in it and saved the day. Not everyone has that option as I had to enlarge the hole to do it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...hmentid=152794
post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 
I went back to listen to the RTi A7 yesterday, and realized it may be a bit bright for music esp. I have an approx 70-30 split between movies and music, so its not negligible. The RTi A5 was especially very bright (for me at least), A7 was better but I think I may look elsewhere.

Based on the votes (thanks to all who voted!), it seems Aperion is getting a big nod. So I am now down to Aperion or Monitor Audio. Also having thoughts about going to the largest one in each line rather than trying to upgrade later down the line. So, Aperion 5T or 6T, and Monitor Audio RS6 / RS8 or RX6 / RX8. What do you recommend for my 14 x 20 room - would the lower series be more than sufficient, or should I jump for the larger ones now? The SaturdayAudio sale on RS6 / RS8 is very tempting, but I also read RX6 / RX8 are a decent upgrade to that, and I can get the RS6 for 1175 and RS8 for around 1625. What do you guys think?
post #9 of 20
I would go for the RS6 if you can get a good price. If you are using a sub, the difference between the RS6 and RS8 is probably not worth the extra money.
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmatic View Post

I would go for the RS6 if you can get a good price. If you are using a sub, the difference between the RS6 and RS8 is probably not worth the extra money.

+1 on RS6. IMO it is a better speaker than the RS8 regardless of price. Don't know if the same is true re: RX6/8.

Ron
post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thanks! Seems the 6 series will be just fine for me, and save me the money too. Unfortunately, Saturdayaudio have the RS6 only in rosenut (i want black). So I will go the RX6 way, which I was leaning towards anyways.

So now I am down to RX6 vs Aperion 5T. Anyone out there who has compared these two models?
post #12 of 20
I just shipped back the Aperion 6T, 6C and 12D, and ordered the RS6, RSLCR and RSW12from Saturdayaudio. The Aperions were nice but was not blown away missing something in the midrange. The MAs will save me ~1k and will be delivered Monday. I'll post next week after I listen dor a few days.
post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Great! Hope you find your nirvana Do post what you think!
post #14 of 20
I think i don't know
post #15 of 20
Just happened to come across this award....I know it doesn't mean everyone likes the speaker but that is why Aperion lets you try them out for 30 days in home-http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/aperionaudio_intimus_422_5tdb_hybrid_hd.htm
post #16 of 20
Aperion
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi76 View Post

Thanks! Seems the 6 series will be just fine for me, and save me the money too. Unfortunately, Saturdayaudio have the RS6 only in rosenut (i want black). So I will go the RX6 way, which I was leaning towards anyways.

So now I am down to RX6 vs Aperion 5T. Anyone out there who has compared these two models?

I am looking at the same decision. The RX6 have higher sensitivity.
post #18 of 20
I dont find the Axioms bright at all in any way. They are a very neutral speaker and produce sounds the way the were meant to be heard. Im running the QS8s ,M60s up front and a 150 Ctr. Im in a 14x12' room and the soundstage is great. Not as large as the RF82 Klipsch system I returned, but those things were WAY to bright. After 20 minutes of listening to them I noticed I was always getting a headache and sore left ear. I've never had an issue with the Axioms, even during marathon, wall shaking, movie watching. After tweaking the position of the speakers, the sound stage opened up and feels like I'm in the middle of the action. Dave Matthews Radio City Bluray is just jaw dropping. The Axioms seem to make the walls disappear and make you feel like you're sitting in the concert with people all around. The transitions from all the speakers is seemless. You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didnt audition them.
post #19 of 20
I'd second the Axiom recommendation. I have a full 5.1 setup with the M60's and I own a pair of M80's for 2.0 stereo listening. I couldn't be happier with either setup. Great for HT & music.

I'm by no means an expert, and I couldn't comment on other speakers as I didn't audition anything else. I got into their community, drank the kool-aid, and gave them an audition. I DO know I'm a diehard music fan and never regretted the purchase. That makes them among my more successful entertainment investments.

In the right mood, with the right music, the wall of sound is vast and spectacular.

-Nick
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by x94blair3 View Post

I'd second the Axiom recommendation. I have a full 5.1 setup with the M60's and I own a pair of M80's for 2.0 stereo listening. I couldn't be happier with either setup. Great for HT & music.

I'm by no means an expert, and I couldn't comment on other speakers as I didn't audition anything else. I got into their community, drank the kool-aid, and gave them an audition. I DO know I'm a diehard music fan and never regretted the purchase. That makes them among my more successful entertainment investments.

In the right mood, with the right music, the wall of sound is vast and spectacular.

-Nick

thanks for that as i am seriously considering getting a pair of M80 V2 & the new VP180 V2 center. I currently use polk RTi10's & CSi5 center (they have served me well for a couple of years) i think i'm ready to step up to a higher level and I think the axiom will help me get there without breaking the bank; which is very important to me quality & price/value.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Help - Axiom M60 vs Aperion 5T vs Polk Audio Rti A7