or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › How large of a screen can I fit in my space?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How large of a screen can I fit in my space?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Okay, my room is 12 by 14 with 8 foot ceilings. I'd like to have a pull down screen in front of the TV that is already in the room. So, that will cut about 1 foot from the 14 foot depth of the room. Is it possible to swing a 120" screen in a room that size? What projector would have the throw that I would need fr that?

Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 13
I had a 120"Diag screen in a 10.5 foot wide by 15 foot long room with 8ft ceilings.
Seating was only about 10-11 feet from the screen.
I liked it that size but some might think that is too big a screen for a room that size.
I would like to hear what people have to say to you about a room your size and how big a screen you should use.
Also maybe someone could post a link to a chart or calculator for screen to room size ratio.
post #3 of 13
Whats your budget? LCD or DLP preference.... depending on projector size you have 11 1/2 to 12 feet throw distance.....120 is definitely possible, a Epson 8100 or Panasonic AE4000 need close to 12 feet to throw a 120 inch image......
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewke View Post

Whats your budget? LCD or DLP preference.... depending on projector size you have 11 1/2 to 12 feet throw distance.....120 is definitely possible, a Epson 8100 or Panasonic AE4000 need close to 12 feet to throw a 120 inch image......

the projector people's calculator says u need 15'8" to throw a 120 inch image
how do u figure 12 feet?
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 View Post

the projector people's calculator says u need 15'8" to throw a 120 inch image
how do u figure 12 feet?

You are looking at the middle number, the top number is minimum distance, the bottom number is the maximum distance.....
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewke View Post

You are looking at the middle number, the top number is minimum distance, the bottom number is the maximum distance.....

so if i have a 18x 15 with 9' ceilings and get a 120" screen what would the throw be?
and how many inches should the top of the screen be from the ceiling?
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 View Post

so if i have a 18x 15 with 9' ceilings and get a 120" screen what would the throw be?
and how many inches should the top of the screen be from the ceiling?

You have a lot play with your room size and screen size so these are just some throws and screen gain and zoom I'm posting here.

You have to decide what screen you'll be buying and how much gain. How many foot lamberts you need for your taste (brightness) and take in to account if you have control of lighting.

Your throw could be 13 ft with a foot lamberts of 17 using a screen with a gain of 1.0 and a zoom of 1.83

or

A throw of 15 ft giving you 19 foot lamberts using a screen with a gain of 1.3 and a zoom of 1.58

or

Throw of 14 ft giving you 22 foot lamberts with a screen gain of 1.4 and zoom of 1.70

Only use the sliding bar on the left side to adjust throw and diagonal screen size
at projector central then play with the screen gain to adjust Foot lamberts if needed.

As for me I rather the higher end of foot lamberts being the bulb loses a lot of it's brightness the first few hundred hours.
post #8 of 13
If you lose one foot to pull down screen in front of TV you will also lose approx 1 1/2 feet for projector and distance allowance behind it for cables and wires so your net lens-to-screen throw will be approx. 11 1/2 feet.

We have a lens-to-screen throw of about 12 1/2 ft and get a very good near 120 inch diagonal with the zoom capabilities of our PJ. We sit along the wall under our projector which is on a shelf so our eyeball-to-screen distance is approx. 12 1/2 feet and it works really well.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

You have a lot play with your room size and screen size so these are just some throws and screen gain and zoom I'm posting here.

You have to decide what screen you'll be buying and how much gain. How many foot lamberts you need for your taste (brightness) and take in to account if you have control of lighting.

Your throw could be 13 ft with a foot lamberts of 17 using a screen with a gain of 1.0 and a zoom of 1.83

or

A throw of 15 ft giving you 19 foot lamberts using a screen with a gain of 1.3 and a zoom of 1.58

or

Throw of 14 ft giving you 22 foot lamberts with a screen gain of 1.4 and zoom of 1.70

Only use the sliding bar on the left side to adjust throw and diagonal screen size
at projector central then play with the screen gain to adjust Foot lamberts if needed.

As for me I rather the higher end of foot lamberts being the bulb loses a lot of it's brightness the first few hundred hours.

i have no idea of what u are talking about.i am a total noob when it comes to HT
whats better? higher or lower foot lamberts?
more or less screen gain?
i am thinking abot getting a gray screen from carada.com

talks for your help
post #10 of 13
You need a picture to be a certain brightness or it will look too dull. Having a bigger screen = less bright. You need a projector to be able to be bright enough for your screen size.


What you really need to consider is the seating distance. You can be TOO close to a screen.

If you are 9 feet away from a 120" screen thats not going to be comfortable.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtytwoinch View Post

You need a picture to be a certain brightness or it will look too dull. Having a bigger screen = less bright. You need a projector to be able to be bright enough for your screen size.


What you really need to consider is the seating distance. You can be TOO close to a screen.

If you are 9 feet away from a 120" screen thats not going to be comfortable.

would u say that the panny 4000 is bright enough for a 120" screen?
how far away would u sit from a 120" screen with the panny 4000?

its kinda discouraging when i know nothiong about HT and have no idea how to set it up properly
post #12 of 13
I'd probably still want a little gain out of the screen. Even just an advertised 1/3 gain should be OK.

On panasonic projectors you can sit really close, so the answer is you can sit as close as you can tolorerate as in same as in a pay movie theater.
post #13 of 13
Whatever you do Do Not buy the screen first unless you know what your're doing !

Get the projector and throw picture on wall or king size white or /both gray sheet to get an idea of what feels best .This is what
I plan on doing with the split screen option...one side sateen white and one side sateen gray.


16-22 foot lamberts is the range but the higher end is better. A higher screen gain will increase Foot Lamberts if on the low side which makes for a brighter picture.

Normally High Foot Lamberts with lower gain

Normally Low foot lamberts with higher gain

Remember the bulbs lose a lot of their brightness the first few hundred hours.

So when setting things up try and go for a higher end foot lambert this way when bulb loses brightness during the first few hundred hours you'll end up in the middle middle of foot lambert range which is acceptable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 View Post

i have no idea of what u are talking about.i am a total noob when it comes to HT
whats better? higher or lower foot lamberts?
more or less screen gain?
i am thinking abot getting a gray screen from carada.com

talks for your help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › How large of a screen can I fit in my space?