Hi all (and specifically tulli as he is clearly the guru here
I have a Samsung ps64d8000 (64" plasma 3D tv) and an Arcam AVR600 (audiophile grade AV receiver).
Theres quite a lot here but I reckon its best to give you all the info I have.
Ive tried following instructions that are available (and have searched widely), but am not getting the results I was hoping for. all relatime EDID extracted using moninfo.
1. The AVR600 does not pass through 3D and the EDID (or whichever subsequent handshakes take place) is not allowing 3D to work. but it does support pretty much every sound format including DTS master and dolby HD.
2. direct HDMI from PC to TV. 3D works, EDID shows only 2 speakers available. pc sound = stereo,
3. So I purchased an HDMI 1.4 2:1 splitter. Thinking what I can do is modify the samsung EDID to include the additional audio data from the Arcam's EDID. both devices get what they need. win.
3.a. testing the principle of duplicated signal with the HDMI splitter. realtime EDID shows Samsung. duplicated HDMI stream to Arcam works, but is only 2 channel (Samsung EDID). 3D works with PowerDVD 11 (I also have arcsoft TMT, but not convinced it is a better product). pc sound = stereo.
3.b. modified Samsung .inf file (as output from realtime moninfo) so that second hex line is replaced with second hex line from Arcam .inf file. replaced as monitor driver, reboot. pc sound = 7.1 . 3D does not work.
3.c. as above but reloaded the modified .inf file into moninfo and then resaved it from moninfo. no change to results in 3.b
4. tried modified .inf without splitter box connected through Arcam (as its a registry override - which gets precedence - the realtime EDID should be ignored). pc sound = 7.1. as soon as you run a 3D signal, the Arcam throws a black screen with an error message "invalid video type". I have to reboot the PC/directly connect HDMI to screen to get a signal displayed again.
So as a result I've drawn the following conclusions (the may be incorrect its just based on what I know)
4. indicates I will not be able to passthrough my 3D signal as the Arcam will get in the way.
3.a. proves the splitter works with 3D
3.b. and 3.c. prove I havent got the .inf file right. I worry there is an additional handshake for 3D that isnt just about EDID.
Can anyone advise or help ?
(here are my realtime .inf outputs from moninfo)
samsungscreen.zip 1.2421875k . file
avr 600.zip 1.21875k . file