or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › The Official KDL....EX700 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official KDL....EX700 Thread - Page 123

post #3661 of 3682
I wish I knew the best place to post this, but nothing seems to fit. Since my hardware is the 32EX700, I thought I would give it a shot here.

I have enabled TVGOS over the internet for program source in the past but found it would corrupt something that would kill Favorites or other function. A month ago I did a factory reset and scrubbed the TV.

I have cable only but no PSIP. My channels are vsb (2-25), clear QAM 26.0 through 128.1. 105.1 through 109.2 are HD locals.

On the info box, I see several vsb (analog) channels sometimes have the program name and even the running time. The time is blue. My time can still be set manually but it is also blue. No time set has happened because I have set it two minutes slow.

My query: what causes the program name? When should time update? Is there a better place to post this? I'm talking about analog channels. Is this a mistake by my cable company, SCTE-127, or just unknown?
post #3662 of 3682
Hi all, I used to be able to get 5.1 audio from my KDL-EX700 on the optical outputs when I streamed Amazon on Demand movies that supported 5.1. I've noticed that sometime over the past few months, that I no longer get 5.1 from the optical outputs (down to 2.0). Was this feature disabled in a recent version of the firmware?

Right now I have the internet connected to my Bravia and feed the optical output into my 5.1 receiver.

Is anyone else able to stream Amazon on Demand into their TV and use the optical output to pass through the 5.1 audio stream right now?

Thanks in advance for the help.

JP
post #3663 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpenright View Post

Hi all, I used to be able to get 5.1 audio from my KDL-EX700 on the optical outputs when I streamed Amazon on Demand movies that supported 5.1. I've noticed that sometime over the past few months, that I no longer get 5.1 from the optical outputs (down to 2.0). Was this feature disabled in a recent version of the firmware?

Right now I have the internet connected to my Bravia and feed the optical output into my 5.1 receiver.

Is anyone else able to stream Amazon on Demand into their TV and use the optical output to pass through the 5.1 audio stream right now?

Thanks in advance for the help.

JP

Does audio from the tuner still come through in 5.1? When tuned to a network like CBS I show 5.1 from the optical. There are plenty of Amazon problem threads on the forum. I'm running the latest (114AAL) firmware.

post #3664 of 3682
Test it by hooking HDMI from a bluray player to the TV and run the optical from the TV to your receiver and see how that works
post #3665 of 3682
Ah, input lag.
Been reading this thread for 2 hours, searching up and down, googling and what not.
Still haven't found any conclusive info on the input lag?

I see some folks were very happy after a firmware update, and it got good marks for the input lag on iffy review sites (testing input lag with 2 lcds is stupid and pointless).

Can someone point me to some proper tests?
post #3666 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran0909 View Post

Ah, input lag.
Been reading this thread for 2 hours, searching up and down, googling and what not.
Still haven't found any conclusive info on the input lag?

I see some folks were very happy after a firmware update, and it got good marks for the input lag on iffy review sites (testing input lag with 2 lcds is stupid and pointless).

Can someone point me to some proper tests?

Could you be more specific and/or define your "input lag"?

post #3667 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Could you be more specific and/or define your "input lag"?
Seriously?
"My" input lag = is the time from a picture is generated by the source to the picture appearing on the screen. As CRTs don't have input lag, the easy way to measure it is by outputting a test to both CRT and the LCD simultaneously, and recording the dime difference. One could also use the Leo Bodnar’s Lag Tester, but CRTs are a bit easier to source.

As I was saying, I could not find hard data on the Ex700, just opinions.

What was the point of the exercise Joe, as I doubt that after 5.5k posts here you have trouble understanding me.
post #3668 of 3682
i have 32ex720 tongue.gif
post #3669 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpapagan View Post

i have 32ex720 tongue.gif
71x, 72x use Samsung s-PVA panels so they don't have much in common with ex70x series.
post #3670 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran0909 View Post


Seriously?
"My" input lag = is the time from a picture is generated by the source to the picture appearing on the screen. As CRTs don't have input lag, the easy way to measure it is by outputting a test to both CRT and the LCD simultaneously, and recording the dime difference. One could also use the Leo Bodnar’s Lag Tester, but CRTs are a bit easier to source.

As I was saying, I could not find hard data on the Ex700, just opinions.

What was the point of the exercise Joe, as I doubt that after 5.5k posts here you have trouble understanding me.

I understand now. You were posting a game question. I have never done that (except at Vegas). I'm sorry, I never would have responded if I knew it was about playing games.

post #3671 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Does audio from the tuner still come through in 5.1? When tuned to a network like CBS I show 5.1 from the optical. There are plenty of Amazon problem threads on the forum. I'm running the latest (114AAL) firmware.

Fine idea...tonight I just gave that a try and I do get 5.1 from the TV optical out into my receiver while using the TV cable tuner input. So it can pass 5.1 from the cable input. I did try to see if I could find another internet based video source from the TV that would send 5.1, which would allow me to see if it is an Amazon problem or if it is a Sony problem/limitation sending 5.1 from an internet source. I had a hard time finding any other internet video sources with 5.1 that I could test with. Does anyone know of any internet video source that I could use that would send 5.1?

I do know that for an extended period of time (at least a year) Amazon on Demand did work for me with 5.1 sound on movies that had it. Does anyone have the TV sending 5.1 on the optical output working with Amazon or Netflix?

JP
post #3672 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpenright View Post


I do know that for an extended period of time (at least a year) Amazon on Demand did work for me with 5.1 sound on movies that had it. Does anyone have the TV sending 5.1 on the optical output working with Amazon or Netflix?

JP

You might find this helpful. Last post especially.

 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/how-do-i-enable-51-surround-sound-when-watching/78b170a5-4e67-4271-bc51-ebf64144a24c

post #3673 of 3682

Ah, thank you for sharing that. So it is possible that Amazon is no longer passing 5.1 in its movie streams--that is good to know. I'm going to see what I can find out on that one. I agree with the thread--we just need a method to select the proper audio stream.

JPE
post #3674 of 3682
Just got some sandisk cruzer blade 16GB usb flash drives and they are
not recognized by the ex700 TV. Is there a maximum size for flash drives
and the ex700. Has anyone found a 16GB or larger usb flash
drives that works, I tried an 8Gb awhile back and it worked fine...

Thanx
post #3675 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2K View Post

Just got some sandisk cruzer blade 16GB usb flash drives and they are
not recognized by the ex700 TV. Is there a maximum size for flash drives
and the ex700. Has anyone found a 16GB or larger usb flash
drives that works, I tried an 8Gb awhile back and it worked fine...

Thanx

Excuse me for stating the obvious, but they are FAT32? I have the USB internet adapter so I never used a flash drive.

post #3676 of 3682
Thanks, too bad fat32e doesn't work because of the fat32 file size limit
post #3677 of 3682
I noticed the Sony KDL-60EX645 was on sale at best buy today for $999 and was wondering if you thought that the picture quality was a reasonable upgrade from my KDL-60EX700

What do you think?
post #3678 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post

I noticed the Sony KDL-60EX645 was on sale at best buy today for $999 and was wondering if you thought that the picture quality was a reasonable upgrade from my KDL-60EX700

What do you think?

I think I would rather die than give up my presence sensor. But that is a good price. Best Buy will probably ship it free if you can't go to the store. I don't expect them to stay in business much longer. I have never had a problem with their sales or service.

post #3679 of 3682
Looks like a nice middle of the road set. Cheap enough. All these flat panel TVs still do not have the durability of the CRT beasts of the past that refused to die. it's a crap shoot. i have a Sony KDL-52EX700 (2009) that's still fine (always had some light leaks) and a KDL-55HX729 perfect set (2011)...fingers crossed.
post #3680 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpenright View Post

Hi all, I used to be able to get 5.1 audio from my KDL-EX700 on the optical outputs when I streamed Amazon on Demand movies that supported 5.1. I've noticed that sometime over the past few months, that I no longer get 5.1 from the optical outputs (down to 2.0). Was this feature disabled in a recent version of the firmware?

Right now I have the internet connected to my Bravia and feed the optical output into my 5.1 receiver.

Is anyone else able to stream Amazon on Demand into their TV and use the optical output to pass through the 5.1 audio stream right now?

Thanks in advance for the help.

JP

I stopped by here for some other issues/questions, but saw your post. I noticed the exact same thing you mentioned recently last time I rented a movie from Amazon and know for a fact that I used to get 5.1 from their HD streams. Did you ever figure out what the culprit was; firmware downgrade on our end or is it Amazon skimping on the audio? Either way I probably wont be renting anything else if there's no surround sound from their movies. Redbox is right down the street and their rental fees are much lower for the real deal. Never really understood why these instant videos are as expensive as they are anyway.

Moving on to the question I had before I forget to ask it altogether; has there been a recent firmware updates (maybe within the last week or two)? I just love how they give you the firmware revision but no date along with it. Anyway, the issue that just sprung up is related to HDMI control and audio. The TV used to play nice with my Marantz NR1601 (95% of the time), but know it's misbehaving. I could turn on the TV and it would power up the receiver and pass audio to it. Now I have to go into the TV's settings and switch it from TV speakers to audio system and also add my receiver to the device list. What's more frustrating is that I have to reboot my HTPC also as it sees my TV as the audio destination (I can't select 5.1 in the audio options in the pc until a reboot with the correct settings on the TV). BTW, the current firmware revision is PKG4.117AAL .Like I said, no clue if it's new or not just that everything seemed to work fine until I turned it on one day. And nothing else has been changed (nothing new connected to the receiver or TV). If it is a firmware issue is there anyway to even roll it back on our TVs? TIA
post #3681 of 3682

Right,basically everything cranked to make the TV have visual pop under the harsh lighting of a big box store like BB.
12.gif  

post #3682 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post

I stopped by here for some other issues/questions, but saw your post. I noticed the exact same thing you mentioned recently last time I rented a movie from Amazon and know for a fact that I used to get 5.1 from their HD streams. Did you ever figure out what the culprit was; firmware downgrade on our end or is it Amazon skimping on the audio? Either way I probably wont be renting anything else if there's no surround sound from their movies. Redbox is right down the street and their rental fees are much lower for the real deal. Never really understood why these instant videos are as expensive as they are anyway.

Moving on to the question I had before I forget to ask it altogether; has there been a recent firmware updates (maybe within the last week or two)? I just love how they give you the firmware revision but no date along with it. Anyway, the issue that just sprung up is related to HDMI control and audio. The TV used to play nice with my Marantz NR1601 (95% of the time), but know it's misbehaving. I could turn on the TV and it would power up the receiver and pass audio to it. Now I have to go into the TV's settings and switch it from TV speakers to audio system and also add my receiver to the device list. What's more frustrating is that I have to reboot my HTPC also as it sees my TV as the audio destination (I can't select 5.1 in the audio options in the pc until a reboot with the correct settings on the TV). BTW, the current firmware revision is PKG4.117AAL .Like I said, no clue if it's new or not just that everything seemed to work fine until I turned it on one day. And nothing else has been changed (nothing new connected to the receiver or TV). If it is a firmware issue is there anyway to even roll it back on our TVs? TIA

Hi Ryan, I never figured out what the root caused was on this. I was able to verify that I can pass 5.1 through the TV optical out by tuning in an OTA channel and seeing/hearing 5.1 on my receiver. Either Amazon is skimping on the audio or Sony firmware is blocking 5.1 from the ethernet stream.

JP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › The Official KDL....EX700 Thread