or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------ - Page 44

post #1291 of 1622
Also, the user interface on this thing is by far the worst UI I have ever used on any product. It's like they TRIED to design a bad interface. They have a USB port on the thing, they ought to support USB keyboards being plugged in for data entry instead of making us use the remote.
post #1292 of 1622
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelnel View Post

Isn't Samsung ever going to get this working right?
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Someone asked what the solution is to all of this... and judging by all the reports, it seems every player at this level has some kind of problem with netflix/streaming or BD compatibility... it's as if all of the major companies joined in a conspiracy to release junky products, so that consumers have no recourse. We can't really say "Samsung sucks, I'm never buying a product from them again"... because when we switch to say, Sony, their products are just as crappy.

For example, my PS3 disc drive died for the second time in 3 years recently. Which is why I bought the Sammy 6500. I thought, "I'm not giving those bastards at Sony my $$ again". So now I'm stuck with a PoS Sammy BD player. At least the PS3 worked flawlessly before the drives died.
post #1293 of 1622
My 6500 works great with Blu Rays and DVD--but I've moved on to Apple TV for Netflix.
post #1294 of 1622
I'm using the Samsung Netflix app with netflix.ca (Canada) on my Samsung 5500 and 6500. It works flawlessly. I didn't play around much with the U.S. version, so I'm not sure what (if any) differences there are in the app, or whether netflix.ca is using a different server platform or serving everything from one common server in the U.S.

Wait, I lie: I remember now that I did have one incident where there no sound from the Netflix app. I think I did something unusual just before that, but I don't recall exactly what it was - maybe I ejected a disc, accidentally re-loaded it, and then ejected it again quickly without giving it time to load properly. In any case, I could not restore the sound by exiting and restarting the Netflix app. I had to turn the player off and then on again.
post #1295 of 1622
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelnel View Post

I bought a BD-C6500 because my BD-P1600 had so many problems with Netflix streaming. It would frequently play the audio without the video unless I powercycled it several times.

The BD-6500, even after the latest firmware upgrade, plays the video without the audio after playing a BD movie. That even persists through several on/off cycles. I read this thread and tried playing Pandora. Pandora played fine, and after playing Pandora now the Netflix streaming plays audio and video again.

Isn't Samsung ever going to get this working right?

I talked with Samsung today, Tier 2 tech support. They said they are aware of the problem and are working on a firmware update, but have no ETA on the release date. In the meantime they suggested changing the Samsung audio to bit stream. She said it might fix the problem. She also said once you turn the machine off and back on, you'll need to reset that audio setting each time. They're 0-2 on this suggestion, because I've already tried the bit stream setting which didn't help AND the setting does remain changed, even after turning the machine off and back on.

I also asked her if Samsung was going to integrate some sort of music recognition like Gracenote. She said it's something that they might consider in the future.
post #1296 of 1622
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP32 View Post

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Someone asked what the solution is to all of this... and judging by all the reports, it seems every player at this level has some kind of problem with netflix/streaming or BD compatibility... it's as if all of the major companies joined in a conspiracy to release junky products, so that consumers have no recourse. We can't really say "Samsung sucks, I'm never buying a product from them again"... because when we switch to say, Sony, their products are just as crappy.

For example, my PS3 disc drive died for the second time in 3 years recently. Which is why I bought the Sammy 6500. I thought, "I'm not giving those bastards at Sony my $$ again". So now I'm stuck with a PoS Sammy BD player. At least the PS3 worked flawlessly before the drives died.

It's a little more money, but when you factor in all the aggravation the models at this level cause, the OPPO-93 looks *mighty* interesting. Take a minute and read their reviews and try to find something seriously negative. It's also made in the USA.

Edit: Not made in the US - sorry. But it has a good warranty.
post #1297 of 1622
Hey all, I have owned a C6500 for a little over a month now. I also have a C5500 in my living room. I have not had too many problems with either unit yet. One quirk I have noticed with the c6500 is that when I first turn it on and let it boot up my RX-V663 displays that is recieving a stereo input from the C6500. It is hooked up via HDMI through the RX-V663 to a Toshiba 37" TV using PCM for audio. If I load up and play a Bluray or DVD first the display on the receiver will display the appropriate channels just fine and the sound output is fine. However if I choose to use Netflix without playing a disc first, the display will show 2 channel stereo and the sound will come out of only the left and right speakers with no dialog, like the receiver is trying to use the center channel but has no source. If I switch inputs on the reciever. and back the Bluray's input, before loading Netflix the display will show 7 channel input and when I play a Netflix movie or show I get full surround sound out of the receiver. Or if I play a disc, either Bluray or DVD, the display will show 5 channel input, then switch to a Netflix movie or show, the receiver will play in full surround. I don't see this problem with c5500 connected to an RX-V765 in my living room. In fact I have my Harmony remote set up to switch the inputs on the RX-V663 back and forth since I mostly use this machine for Netflix. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this?
post #1298 of 1622
I found this on the web and thought it might be of interest here:http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2011-02/...Zatz+Not+Funny

Ghpr13
post #1299 of 1622
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelnel View Post

I bought a BD-C6500 because my BD-P1600 had so many problems with Netflix streaming. It would frequently play the audio without the video unless I powercycled it several times...Isn't Samsung ever going to get this working right?

The majority of people posting here (me included) are not reporting this problem. So blaming it on Samsung may be premature, unless there are a number of players that have some kind of defective circuit that other 6500s don't have. I wish someone could narrow down when it happens, what equipment is connected to the player when the problem occurs, and when it works fine. I get why you're frustrated, but it appears the problem is more complicated than it looks.
post #1300 of 1622
Quote:
Originally Posted by blr5150 View Post

One quirk I have noticed with the c6500 is that when I first turn it on and let it boot up my RX-V663 displays that is recieving a stereo input from the C6500......

I think the behavior you are describing is more to do with your AV receiver than with the Blu-Ray player. From what I have seen, and from the discussion here in this forum, Netflix apparently supplies only stereo sound.

On my receiver I have PLII C (simulated surround) selected as the default mode when not overriden by a DD 5.1 or DTS signal. I get sound from all speakers with Netflix, but it's simulated surround from stereo input. When I play a DVD or Blu-Ray disc, it switches to DD 5.1 or DTS. When I switch back to Netflix, it shows PLII C again.

It seems like your receiver does not have a surround simulation mode like PLII C selected as the default for stereo input. It also seems like your receiver does automatically select a surround simulation mode when you switch back to a stereo input like Netflix after playing a disc with surround sound.
post #1301 of 1622
I'm trying to play some homemade HD-DVD rips with no success. One title's audio plays fine but the video stutters. Another reports "File type not supported." These are made with MakeMKV--no re-encoding done. Remuxing to m2ts yield the "File type not supported" message on both files. Playback is from a local NAS. Anyone else had better luck playing similar files on their C6500?
post #1302 of 1622
I picked up a c6500 this weekend, loving it so far.
post #1303 of 1622
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelnel View Post

Also, the user interface on this thing is by far the worst UI I have ever used on any product. It's like they TRIED to design a bad interface.

Not sure what your expectations are, but I would not agree with you. I find the UI to be straightforward and simple. You want to go to Netflix, you click on Netflix. You want to play a video source, you click on video. Same for photos and music. Not sure how much more simple it can get.
post #1304 of 1622
Just wanted to say I bought my 6500 three weeks ago. Firmware updated no problem with a wired connection. The unit has been working flawlessly. I bought it pretty much for the netflix app and it works great. I dont find the load time for BR to be long at all. Very happy with the upconversion on DVD as well.

Overall I am very happy with the product.
post #1305 of 1622
I went and bought a new PS3 Slim... the sub-par 6500 will be relegated to outdoor duty, which will be nice this summer, since it has MLB.TV.
post #1306 of 1622
I bought this just after Christmas and should have taken it back right away, but unfortunately did not. The first thing that should have set off alarm bells was that it was sold to me as new (unopened) but when I got it home and was looking through the menus I found that it was activated on someone named "steve"'s Netflix account. At the time I did not have a netflix account and did not know how it worked so I did realize that this meant someone had owned it and activated it on their account.

Since then I have had a number of problems that have gotten worse over the last couple weeks.

1. When I turn it on it will often take upto 10 minutes to get to the main menu screen. During this time the front panel of the player says "Loading"

2. I have had a couple bluray disks that the audio and video are a couple seconds out of sync. I have had to turn the player off and back on to get it to sync the audio and video.

3. Lately when I have tried to watch Netflix movies (my own account now) the sound is not right, I can barely hear anything. In this case I have switched to my Wii and had no issues.

I updated it to the latest firmware 1 week ago with no results.

Any ideas?
post #1307 of 1622
Mine has none of these problems and didn't mention steve.

You need service.
post #1308 of 1622
Your player is defective and under warranty. Get it serviced immediately. Startup is long, about 30 seconds or so. Not minutes.

Joel
post #1309 of 1622
It sounds like "Steve" had some problems with it, returned it, and the store resold it without dealing with the issues. Get it fixed or replaced.
post #1310 of 1622
A good reason to avoid open box returned items unless you REALLY trust the dealer. Some customers don't always say there is a problem with the item--30 day return policy--just tell the store they don't like it and they go and sell it again without testing it.
post #1311 of 1622
Have one specific DVD that it plays fine and then at 36 minute the picture freezes and no audio. Fast forward it a bit and the movie starts playing agin but no audio. Played the DVD in my laptop and it plays all the way through just fine. Tried the move 3-4 times fast forwarding to the same spot and each time it does the same thing at the 36 minute point.

Any thoughts?

I also have the same issue with trying to play a streaming Netflix movie.....No audio until I pop in a CD and then go back to Netflix and then I have audio.
post #1312 of 1622
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma65 View Post

Have one specific DVD that it plays fine and then at 36 minute the picture freezes and no audio. Fast forward it a bit and the movie starts playing agin but no audio. Played the DVD in my laptop and it plays all the way through just fine. Tried the move 3-4 times fast forwarding to the same spot and each time it does the same thing at the 36 minute point.

Well I think I got my answer. Played the DVD from Netflix on my regular DVD player and at the same spot on the DVD 26m36sec there was a loud pop and it turned off my Onkyo receiver. Good news is I was able to turn the receiver back on and the movies was still playing and sound was there. That was fricken weird.
post #1313 of 1622
The bd-c6500 and bd-c6800 are showing up as discontinued at crutchfield. Any idea what the successor model to the bd-c6500 is?
post #1314 of 1622
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDeal1 View Post

The bd-c6500 and bd-c6800 are showing up as discontinued at crutchfield. Any idea what the successor model to the bd-c6500 is?

They are still listed on the Samsung site. Crutchfield still shows the C5500 and C5900
post #1315 of 1622
hi all,

proud new owner of a BD-C6500T

is it possible, with that device, to feed the internet site i choose? or am i stuck with those that samsung decide i can watch?

i have a local, french, tv feed site that i will like to braodcast to my tv. how can i feed it with my device?

thank you!
post #1316 of 1622
wow my post was moved here, but i don't see nothing that concern my question.

bad moderator job. i quit this forum!
post #1317 of 1622
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDeal1 View Post
The bd-c6500 and bd-c6800 are showing up as discontinued at crutchfield. Any idea what the successor model to the bd-c6500 is?
My local Fry's has in stock the BD-D5300 (wireless), BD-D5500 3D - wireless), and BD-D5700 (Wi-Fi) in stock for $149, $179 and $199. I think there is a BD-D6xxx (3D - WiFi) yet to come at $249 (or so). That's based on my bad memory... Oh and Fry's matches Internet pricing (authorized dealers only).
post #1318 of 1622
Quote:
Originally Posted by kardock View Post

hi all,

proud new owner of a BD-C6500T

is it possible, with that device, to feed the internet site i choose? or am i stuck with those that samsung decide i can watch?

i have a local, french, tv feed site that i will like to braodcast to my tv. how can i feed it with my device?

thank you!

No user defined web sites. And this is the correct place to ask the question since you have a BD-6500. /Dan
post #1319 of 1622
I bought this 2011 unit from Amazon. So far so good. it had played .avi and .mkv files either form an external hard drive or burnt into data DVDs. Haven't try the 3D capability yet. Anyone else can share their experiences with this unit?
post #1320 of 1622
Wonder why my question was moved to this topic for the BD-C6500 when my units is a different one, BD-D6500....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaacdi View Post

I bought this 2011 unit from Amazon. So far so good. it had played .avi and .mkv files either form an external hard drive or burnt into data DVDs. Haven't try the 3D capability yet. Anyone else can share their experiences with this unit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------