Originally Posted by truthy
well, I found out what the mkv seeking culprit was that the BD-C6500 (FW 1023) couldn't handle. and btw I don't think that earlier FW versions could handle this either if you'r wondering wether to upgrade or not.
if a file was muxed with mkvmerge/toolnix v4.0.0 and higher seeking wouldn't work anymore because since that version they added the following changes:
* mkvmerge: enhancement: mkvmerge will no longer put all clusters
into a meta seek element resulting in smaller file size. The
parameter "--no-clusters-in-meta-seek" has been renamed to
"--clusters-in-meta-seek" and its meaning reverted.
so to make mkv files seekable again with eg v5.0.1 you'll have to add the command line parameter --clusters-in-meta-seek before muxing and it'll work/seek again.
if a mkv-file was muxed with something else and also doesn't seek on the BD-C6500 it most likely has to do with a similar option. maybe in the future mkvmerge will have a setting to enable this by default in the option menu (like it has now for header removal compression).
I have a BD-C5900 but its apparently very similar to the BD-C6500, and the problem arose once I upgraded the firmare from 1001 to 1012 (the latest).
Thank you for figuring this out so specifically!! I was on the phone with Samsung for 2 hours and their idea was to "send me a new remote." I decided they were batsH*t and tracked the problem down myself by comparing all my OLD archived files, turns out - anything I had made in MKVToolNix (mkvmerge) since 4.*.* through the latest 5.0.1 would not seek. I also checked some scene X264 encodes from DIMENSION and noticed they were still using mkvmerge 3.1.0 so I reverted back to version 3.1.0, demuxed and remuxed some files and VOILA - THEY SEEK NOW.
The so called "enhancement: mkvmerge 4.0.0 will no longer put all clusters
into a meta seek element resulting in smaller file size" breaks seeking on these Samsung's.
I am very unhappy that the latest firmware would "break" seeking, but I am thankful that I can fix any files just by remuxing them with an older version (or by setting that "--clusters-in-meta-seek" flag, which I have not tested yet.)
The main reason I upgraded firmware was I was hoping for MKV Chapter support, but alas I still can't get chapters to work on either my BD-C5900 or my Samsung LED TV UN55C7000 series which is quite similar firmware.
On an unrelated note, the UN55C7000 TV could still play and seek the culprit MKV files - but it cannot read aspect ratio flags for the life of it, leading to anamorphic DVDs encoded to MKV to show up with black bars on each side.