or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official KDL..EX500/501 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official KDL..EX500/501 Thread - Page 190

post #5671 of 6190
Why are so many high on this set when it's rated so mediocre on CNET? The black levels were rated pretty horribly.

I may have to get it because I am thinking led lights are giving me eye issues. But I still don't understand how it can be so good when the numbers say it won't be. And just curious what people's reasons were for buying it instead of an eld. Wouldn't most bleedthrough and other lighting issues happen just as much in a CCFL as compared with an led?

I am going to try a plasma. if it doesn't work, this is probably my next tv.
post #5672 of 6190
umm...

Amazon's site says this was first sold there in 2005. if that's true I'm not apying $900 for a tv made back then. nd how could a tv built that long ago still eb sold as new today anyway?

edit: hmm now that i read more of the CNET review I don't know why they rate it so low. It says its color accuracy is about as good as the reference (the kuro), the blacks are good for an lcd, viewing angle good for an lcd, etc...

I still say $900 is NOT a bargain price for a 1 year old model without 3D though. So not sure where people get that it's a bargain tv. The current 3D tvs can be ahd for the same price.

Regardless I am tempted to buy it and not even bother trying a plasma. i don't know... And I assume the release date was 2010 so no clue why amazon says 2005.

Hopefully can pick this up at walmart later today. I could save a crazy $400-$500 buyign straight from Sony if I were to geta refurbished one. I'm almost tempted by it because then it's low risk investment and I can get a 3dtv in a couple years.

Does anyone know if square trade warranties are honored for refurbished buys?
post #5673 of 6190
@midnight77,
I personally have the 60EX500 and am using serialmike's latest settings that can be found in his signature. Last night we watched How To Train Your Dragon and was just floored how good the picture looked. The black Dragon was VERY black but not to the point of being "crushed". Colors are extremely accurate and I would easily compare this TV to models costing twice as much.

C-net is no longer the holy grail as far as their revues go, IMHO. When I first received this TV I tried their settings and if that was what they used to compare this TV to other products, then I can see why their revue was so mediocre. Their settings listed were the worst by far of any I've tried.
post #5674 of 6190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

@midnight77,
I personally have the 60EX500 and am using serialmike's latest settings that can be found in his signature. Last night we watched How To Train Your Dragon and was just floored how good the picture looked. The black Dragon was VERY black but not to the point of being "crushed". Colors are extremely accurate and I would easily compare this TV to models costing twice as much.

C-net is no longer the holy grail as far as their revues go, IMHO. When I first received this TV I tried their settings and if that was what they used to compare this TV to other products, then I can see why their revue was so mediocre. Their settings listed were the worst by far of any I've tried.

I have the 55 and as torqdog stated in his post...the EX series is a great set! CNET however, doesn't know one thing about proper calibration let alone spot on in their reviews!
post #5675 of 6190
One walmart which is a hassle to go to has it listed as in stock. Someone is on hisw ay here to go with me to thatw almart. I called them tos ee if the price is different than online. They said their computer says they have 6 in stock. They then tell me they "can't locate them". So I may be wasting a trip to even go there. It's been an hour now as I wait for them to call me. No other stores even carry this model in the actual store.

They can't magically have "lost" 6 tvs. Either they're there or someone stole them or they don't know how to properly keep inventory. If they can't find it after this long who knows what will happen if I show up and someone different is working there after another person is who is looking for it.
post #5676 of 6190
No comment......
post #5677 of 6190
Why?

Well I got the tv and it was $100 less than the price listed. However, it had a DNI sticker on it. I opened it after purchasing when that sticker wass noticed and it seemed new. i figured if I got home and I realized it wasn't new I would test it and return it.

But turns out it is new because the batteries were still wrapped and that sticky tape stuff was on the screen.

So far I think it won't bother me like led lights, but it looks like a lot of fuzz/snow even on HD if I go right up to the screen. is it common or maybe lowering sharpness will help? It didn't look as bad even right at the screen on the led.

I'm still rpetty confused as to why it's considered a good deal though to pay almost the price of a top rated lg 3dtv and then not get 3d with this. Granted I won't use 3d much even if I have it.
post #5678 of 6190
Colors definitely richer and viewing angles much better than thwe hx820. I loved the picture on my 40v2500 and simply wanted to increase size and I think this is likely going to be similar picture to that, but better blacks and otion. So although I wish the 820 or 929 would work out for me, I am thinking given what I want most in a tv I may end up happier with this one anyway. Just wish it had 3D and audio sync (lg and samsung offer audio sync settings on some tvs).
post #5679 of 6190
Sigh. the noise is just horrible on this tv. Any time the screen is a dark shade of blue or black or anythign like that the screen is flat covered with artifacts even with HD content.

I don't have many options though. I realized led lights were bothering me health-wise, so it's either this or a plasma. Like I've said before, and especially now after noticing how much noise is in the picture, it's overpirced. It should retail for around $500. I see outlines around images also, which I don't know if it's haloing or motion or what. I thought true haloing was only in led models.

Main reason I didn't try the panasonic plasmas is due to people saying they ahvea lot of noise in the picture, but with this one ahving it too maybe i should try the plasmas. thye samsung plasma has my perfect feature list, but that one has been known to ahve fluctuating brightness and a buzzing noise.

At least wal mart ahs a 90 day return policy, so i can be more casual in deciding rather than thinking I have to rush and make a decision quickly. But this many artifacts even with sharpness at minimum is pretty unacceptable for a current hdtv. I haven't noticed this much of it in any model I looked at this year.
post #5680 of 6190
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight77 View Post

Sigh. the noise is just horrible on this tv. Any time the screen is a dark shade of blue or black or anythign like that the screen is flat covered with artifacts even with HD content.

I don't have many options though. I realized led lights were bothering me health-wise, so it's either this or a plasma. Like I've said before, and especially now after noticing how much noise is in the picture, it's overpirced. It should retail for around $500. I see outlines around images also, which I don't know if it's haloing or motion or what. I thought true haloing was only in led models.

Main reason I didn't try the panasonic plasmas is due to people saying they ahvea lot of noise in the picture, but with this one ahving it too maybe i should try the plasmas. thye samsung plasma has my perfect feature list, but that one has been known to ahve fluctuating brightness and a buzzing noise.

At least wal mart ahs a 90 day return policy, so i can be more casual in deciding rather than thinking I have to rush and make a decision quickly. But this many artifacts even with sharpness at minimum is pretty unacceptable for a current hdtv. I haven't noticed this much of it in any model I looked at this year.

The noise comes from the white balance not being properly calibrated. My settings for the 60 eliminate noise. It shouldnt but it does.
post #5681 of 6190
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

The noise comes from the white balance not being properly calibrated. My settings for the 60 eliminate noise. It shouldnt but it does.

well I had already changed white balance to the cnet settings and nothing improved as far as that. I kind of have a mesh between theirs and I think yours (original one). Wish I could get it gone as I would be more likely to stick with the tv if not for all of that. I thought really nothing other than sharpness affects noise much.

The x factor was on earlier due to a baseball game rainout and that's where I ntoiced all of the noise/artifacts. I ntoiced it was 720p if that matters. I didn't notice as much during a football game in 1080i, so source material could be part of it, but also there wasn't as much darkness in the football game so it may still happen in any dark scenes.

I already typo a lot, but this stupid cursor keeps acting weird and making me typo even more.
post #5682 of 6190
I just flat don't udnerstand this. I mean there's more fuzz/snow/artifacts/whatever than in my 4-5 year old Sony. That doesn't seem right nio matter what the settigns are. out of the box nothing else has all of that in the picture. If i can't figure this out i guess it's only the plasmas left to try. Sigh. Oh and also it won't even put full pixel in as a choice for me and the source is an hdmi one.
post #5683 of 6190
Personally I think you should return it and find something else.

You obviously have a problem that every other person in this thread doesn't have. The vast majority in this thread find this TV to be dollar for dollar the best you can get (especially since 3D doesn't matter one bit to me).
post #5684 of 6190
A review on the Amazon site also said it had a ton of artifacts so it's not just me. Artifacts aren't something you can just imagine. I see them. Turnign noise reduction back on is mostly all I've seen help at all thus far. At this point I'm not impressed with much in the picture though as my 4-5 year old tv seemed as good or better as far as overall PQ. If nothing else it proved that led lights were indeed what was bothering my eyes and head though. But since there aren't many choices I have to either get this or a plasma or there's not really anything else. And as others have mentioned plasmas present whites as a grayish color so that would be annoying too.

I like the viewing angls, but again my old tv did as good or beter in that also. If my old tv were 46 inches there would be no point in getting this tv. So all i really gain at this point is size unless I somehow figure out better picture settings.

All I can do at this point is mess with it until my credits are put on my credit card for the past tvs i bought and then try a plasma and if it's not better there isn't another choice unless some leds bother me less than others.
post #5685 of 6190
Like I said, please return it. Otherwise you just come off sounding like a troll.

I have the 60ex500 and find it to be nothing short of amazing.
post #5686 of 6190
I'm not a troll. People shouldn't care what my opinion is anyway though. All that matters is what your own is. I am posting about my observations in order to figure out if I am doing something wrong and can somehow fix it.

I played around with it and got it looking better, but what's odd is with some channels, scenes, etc... it sems I have good settings and then out of nowhere something else will look bland and bad.

So far with the room totally pitch black my settings are way off from cnet';s and people's here though. I know everyone's taste for settings is different, but seems odd how different mine are. I turned picture way down into the 70s or low 80s I think. I raised sharpness to around 10. Raised color a tad, have backlight all the way to minimum. lowered brightness into the 40s because blacks looked too bright.

So I probably have it all out of whack, but for what I was watching it looked right. Like i said it was in totally darkness so I flat had to lower picture and backlight as it was way too bright in my opinion for that situation.

What's the point of backlight anyway? Seems even with it at 0 everything is too bright and most suggested settings have it down around 1.

What's also odd is I raisd sharpness yet didn't notice the artifacts lately. No clue what the deal is with that.
post #5687 of 6190
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight77 View Post

I'm not a troll. People shouldn't care what my opinion is anyway though. All that matters is what your own is. I am posting about my observations in order to figure out if I am doing something wrong and can somehow fix it.

I played around with it and got it looking better, but what's odd is with some channels, scenes, etc... it sems I have good settings and then out of nowhere something else will look bland and bad.

So far with the room totally pitch black my settings are way off from cnet';s and people's here though. I know everyone's taste for settings is different, but seems odd how different mine are. I turned picture way down into the 70s or low 80s I think. I raised sharpness to around 10. Raised color a tad, have backlight all the way to minimum. lowered brightness into the 40s because blacks looked too bright.

So I probably have it all out of whack, but for what I was watching it looked right. Like i said it was in totally darkness so I flat had to lower picture and backlight as it was way too bright in my opinion for that situation.

What's the point of backlight anyway? Seems even with it at 0 everything is too bright and most suggested settings have it down around 1.

What's also odd is I raisd sharpness yet didn't notice the artifacts lately. No clue what the deal is with that.

The point is that nearly everyone on here is extremely satisfied with the EX500 and it is highly recommended by the actual users of the set who have taken time to adjust the settings to obtain excellent picture quality. In many cases, this is a tribute to serialmike who has helped many satisfied EX500 owners by generously posting his settings and tweaking them when needed. That's one reason why this TV is so amazing and constantly exceeds CNET's or any other review site's expectations for this model. If I were in the market for a non-3D TV today, I would not hesitate to buy the Sony EX500.

Hopefully I won't get my hands slapped by the mods for my observation, but if you would spend more time following other people's honest advice (those who actually know what they are talking about) and less time complaining and trying as hard as you can to find flaws, you may have a better chance of enjoying whatever TV you ultimately wind up with. Somehow I doubt it because based on your incessant postings in other threads and from what you have written in this thread so far, I'm guessing your EX500 will soon go the way of the HX820.
post #5688 of 6190
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post

Personally I think you should return it and find something else.

You obviously have a problem that every other person in this thread doesn't have. The vast majority in this thread find this TV to be dollar for dollar the best you can get (especially since 3D doesn't matter one bit to me).

Thank you!
post #5689 of 6190
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

The point is that nearly everyone on here is extremely satisfied with the EX500 and it is highly recommended by the actual users of the set who have taken time to adjust the settings to obtain excellent picture quality. In many cases, this is a tribute to serialmike who has helped many satisfied EX500 owners by generously posting his settings and tweaking them when needed. That's one reason why this TV is so amazing and constantly exceeds CNET's or any other review site's expectations for this model. If I were in the market for a non-3D TV today, I would not hesitate to buy the Sony EX500.

Hopefully I won't get my hands slapped by the mods for my observation, but if you would spend more time following other people's honest advice (those who actually know what they are talking about) and less time complaining and trying as hard as you can to find flaws, you may have a better chance of enjoying whatever TV you ultimately wind up with. Somehow I doubt it because based on your incessant postings in other threads and from what you have written in this thread so far, I'm guessing your EX500 will soon go the way of the HX820.

Thank you too...
post #5690 of 6190
@midnight77,
We've all heard you loud and clear. But now it's getting to the point of obsessing over it. Save yourself the un-neccessary aggravation and simply return the set and purchase something that pleases you........ if that's at all possible.

People see what they want to see and judging from your early posts here on the EX forum, it seems as though you went into this purchase with a major degree of negativity as your guide. Everyone is different with different viewing conditions. But with 95% of the owners here posting how much they like this TV and the other 5% having issues that are of a minor concern (flashlighting etc.), it seems as though you either actually have a defective set or maybe it's just not for you.

Peace!
post #5691 of 6190
Jim & Torq - Outstanding posts/advice!!!
post #5692 of 6190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Jim & Torq - Outstanding posts!!!

Thanks, Hugh!
post #5693 of 6190
Midnight77, don't be intimidated by the negitive feed back from other members. You have every right to express your opinions on a public forum. Hope you find a tv that satisfies your needs.
post #5694 of 6190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Jim & Torq - Outstanding posts/advice!!!

Thanks Hughh. Just stating the obvious.
post #5695 of 6190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

Midnight77, don't be intimidated by the negitive feed back from other members. You have every right to express your opinions on a public forum. Hope you find a tv that satisfies your needs.

I think we ALL hope he finds a TV that will satisfy his needs because right now with all that he's posted here, he sounds like a tormented soul.

Dr. Torq's remedy is .......... more cowbell!
post #5696 of 6190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

Midnight77, don't be intimidated by the negitive feed back from other members. You have every right to express your opinions on a public forum. Hope you find a tv that satisfies your needs.

Thanks. How pathetic I'm ganged up on and especially after I very politely responded to that other guy explaining I'm not trolling. Last time I politely respond to them. I ahve every right to post in here. I'm an owner of the tv and trying to get the ebst results. Instead of helping me every one of them is posting just to attack and say to "send it back" as if I ahve to make my decisions based on others.
post #5697 of 6190
I think what the bottom line is, is this tv is not good at cleaning up source material which has artifacts. So one could technically blame the source material, but that doesn't mean much when all other tvs I have tried did a better job getting rid of it.

Since I am probably going to buy an oppo 93, that probably means this tv would be fine for discs. I would just not have good picture for directv though.
post #5698 of 6190
Oh pleeeease make this madness stop!
post #5699 of 6190
I sanyone helpful going to give me suggestions on reducing noise? All I know to do is lower sharpness and increase noise reduction. Both of which obviously have other bad effects also.
post #5700 of 6190
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight77 View Post

I sanyone helpful going to give me suggestions on reducing noise? All I know to do is lower sharpness and increase noise reduction. Both of which obviously have other bad effects also.

Have you applied serialmike's settings yet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official KDL..EX500/501 Thread