or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official New Sony S370/S470 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official New Sony S370/S470 Owners Thread - Page 6

post #151 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

http://winstonsreviews.com/

From the e-mail you received:
Quote:
I understand your concern regarding the compatibility of the DLNA feature with your Blu-ray Player. Unfortunately, the DLNA is not compatible with the BDP-S470 Player and cannot be added using the firmware update.


OK so what the heck? DLNA won't be coming via firmware in July?
post #152 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I traded the panasonic 65 player for the sony. I am liking it very much.. like how the display will do the info about the bitrate and stuff. it seems that the sony gets more right then wrong. I got the netflix and the amazon on demand working.

Jacob

How's the DVD upscaling? I know Winston said the BD65 was really nice and that the S470 was a bit softer, do you see the difference?
post #153 of 2844
good question. I dont think I see a major difference.
I picked up the 370.
Jacob
post #154 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post

OK so what the heck? DLNA won't be coming via firmware in July?

That's my question. The Sony website was updated for the 370 and 470 (have not checked the 570) so that the DLNA support footnotes says it is coming in a July 2010 firmware update. Sony needs to get this story straight.
post #155 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

That's my question. The Sony website was updated for the 370 and 470 (have not checked the 570) so that the DLNA support footnotes says it is coming in a July 2010 firmware update. Sony needs to get this story straight.

Since it was advertised/sold as supporting DLNA, I'm returning my 470 until they do get their story straight. I want to see the working 3D (via HDMI 1.3) firmware update as well. Selling "footnotes" on unfinished products is weak - not delivering on them is simply false advertising.
post #156 of 2844
Maybe you guys can help me with my situation, i bought the S470 a bit ago now and am trying to setup the netflix streaming to my TV through it (setup the free trial) i have gone onto my computer and setup my "instant watch" list but they are not becoming available on the 470, it just keeps telling me to go to the computer and add instantly watchable movies to my queue.

am i forgetting something? turning on a feature?

TIA.
post #157 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJMAN View Post

Maybe you guys can help me with my situation, i bought the S470 a bit ago now and am trying to setup the netflix streaming to my TV through it (setup the free trial) i have gone onto my computer and setup my "instant watch" list but they are not becoming available on the 470, it just keeps telling me to go to the computer and add instantly watchable movies to my queue.

am i forgetting something? turning on a feature?

TIA.

Did you set up your account with the internet.sony.tv site? Did you then get the 4-digit code to activate via Netflix? The Blu-Ray should have walked you through those steps. Streaming Netflix on the 370 is working fine for me after I did those two. Also note that it's called the "Instant Queue" on Netflix's site for me.
post #158 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

Did you set up your account with the internet.sony.tv site? Did you then get the 4-digit code to activate via Netflix? The Blu-Ray should have walked you through those steps. Streaming Netflix on the 370 is working fine for me after I did those two. Also note that it's called the "Instant Queue" on Netflix's site for me.

Yup, did all that, registered the player via sony's site, then connected the player on netflix, and it all flowed perfectly as if it was ready to work. when it prompted me to add movies to my instant queue however, it never changed again. i went to netflix, added movies to my instant queue but they never became available on my S470. I tried restarting the player, tried logging in and out of the netflix account, moving around the movies, etc and nothing.

EDIT, tried it today and was successful, i guess it just needed some time and things reset to get it all up to speed.
post #159 of 2844
Is anyone using the Apple app to control their player? If so, can you also control other devices (such as a receiver/projector/etc) via HDMI CEC?
post #160 of 2844
Thanks. It's works.
What kind of broadband Internet connection do you have for streaming?
Mine is AT&T DSL. It claims to have 3Mbps, but actual speed is about 2-2.5Mbps. WHen I stream youtube, it's kind of choppy most of the times ( buffering/waiting, etc).



Quote:
Originally Posted by denmonta View Post

Just hit the round key in the middle of the arrow keys on the remote should get you to full screen mode.
I really like the 370 and Netflix image quality is really good on mine. I have it wired to my ethernet and watched some episodes of the Office yesterday and the picture was real good on my 52 inch Sharp LCD...
Take care.
post #161 of 2844
I just pulled the trigger on the 370. I had to choose a blu ray player this week and had been looking at the Panny BD65 and LG BD550, but there were more positive reviews for the Sony 370 at Best Buy than anywhere else, and waiting for expert reviews was not an option. I'll post again when I've tred it out. For me picture quality and sound are most important and not all the bells and whistles.
post #162 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post

I just pulled the trigger on the 370. I had to choose a blu ray player this week and had been looking at the Panny BD65 and LG BD550, but there were more positive reviews for the Sony 370 at Best Buy than anywhere else, and waiting for expert reviews was not an option. I'll post again when I've tred it out. For me picture quality and sound are most important and not all the bells and whistles.

I hear ya. I'm pretty close to getting the 370 myself. Fry's has a great price on it this week and I have a $100 Visa gift card around from x-mas to help with the cost of a new BD player
post #163 of 2844
Saw the "Sony BDP-BX37" player at my B&M Costco today. I researched it, and apparently it is the BDP-370 with an included HDMI cable. I believe it was about 10 bucks cheaper than list price, if I recall correctly.

My research suggests the item number at Costco is 937410, if you need to call your store for availability and/or a price check.

Wanted to pull the trigger, but I'll wait until DLNA is operating properly via a firmware update.
post #164 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND23 View Post

Saw the "Sony BDP-BX37" player at my B&M Costco today. I researched it, and apparently it is the BDP-370 with an included HDMI cable. I believe it was about 10 bucks cheaper than list price, if I recall correctly.

My research suggests the item number at Costco is 937410, if you need to call your store for availability and/or a price check.

Wanted to pull the trigger, but I'll wait until DLNA is operating properly via a firmware update.

Yeah I just saw that this morning while looking around at what new items the warehouses around me got in. If you click Locations on their main page and put in your zipcode it gives a list of nearby Costco's. Click on the specific name of one and it will take you to the information about that warehouse, from there is a link available to click called "New Items In the Warehouse." It lists new things they got it in this week. The Sony is in for most stores, as is a Samsung BDC5500C. No pricing info, just stock numbers.
post #165 of 2844
Both are $159.95. I saw them at my local costco.
post #166 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim2000 View Post

Both are $159.95. I saw them at my local costco.

Good price, that's basically the sale price of the 370 at Fry's plus $9.95 for an HDMI cable I wonder how the quality of the cable is?
post #167 of 2844
Anyone find a good price on the new Sony bdp-s470?
post #168 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post

Anyone find a good price on the new Sony bdp-s470?

Call Modia Theater - they gave me a killer price on the 470 for pre-order.
post #169 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxcheng View Post

Thanks. It's works.
What kind of broadband Internet connection do you have for streaming?
Mine is AT&T DSL. It claims to have 3Mbps, but actual speed is about 2-2.5Mbps. WHen I stream youtube, it's kind of choppy most of the times ( buffering/waiting, etc).

I'm running around 6Mbps (supposed to be closer to 10Mbps, need to troubleshoot a few things before calling RoadRunner to come out...). HD Netflix and Amazon VOD is pretty good. Every now and then I get a warning on Netflix about connection quality and it drops down to something pixellated, but when it's running full-tilt at the 6Mbps picture quality is pretty good, rivalling and often better than what I got with TWC's HD OnDemand offering (which had lots of issues with high-action scenes).

My biggest issue is getting used to stereo instead of 5.1 sound in the living room. But for movies where that matters, I'm either buying the Blu-Ray or getting it from Netflix.
post #170 of 2844
3 Mbps is not enough to stream HDfrom Amazon/Netflix. Minimim is 6 Mbps, recommended 10 Mbps. The bitrate on the Netflix HD movies goes from 2 to 5 Mbps during the movie. Many people with not so high speed connection thinks they are getting the HD movie but actually they get only a downrezz stream, since Netflix adjusts the bitrate.
post #171 of 2844
FYI: The Sony Wi-Fi adapter (UWA-BR100) has finally shown up on sonystyle for $80 to add Wi-Fi to the 370/470.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666131651

Amusingly it lists the 570 as compatible, but of course it has Wi-Fi built in already...
post #172 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post

FYI: The Sony Wi-Fi adapter (UWA-BR100) has finally shown up on sonystyle for $80 to add Wi-Fi to the 370/470.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666131651

Amusingly it lists the 570 as compatible, but of course it has Wi-Fi built in already...

So the s370 $179 retail plus $80 for adapter = $259 or you can just buy the
s570 with already built in WiFi for $249 retail and save $10 bucks.
post #173 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post

So the s370 $179 retail plus $80 for adapter = $259 or you can just buy the
s570 with already built in WiFi for $249 retail and save $10 bucks.

Yep, not really a great deal. I guess if you got a 370/470 and didn't realize you needed Wi-Fi you could go this route.
post #174 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post

Anyone find a good price on the new Sony bdp-s470?

After checking a few of the bigger Web sites I ended up ordering one yesterday directly from SonyStyle.com. It was $199 and no shipping and no tax. They shipped it yesterday via FedEx. The Web prices were all at $199 and my local BB wanted that same price, so what the heck, I ordered it from Sony.

Hope this helps!
post #175 of 2844
I've read the whole thread and couldn't find anything on the 470 having Pandora? Any help would be Great!
post #176 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post

I've read the whole thread and couldn't find anything on the 470 having Pandora? Any help would be Great!

A quick check of the item at the SonyStyle.com Web sites shows that it does support Pandora!

Quote: Instantly stream a wide variety of movies, TV episodes, videos and music from a large selection of entertainment apps including: Netflix®, YouTube™, Pandora™, Slacker® - the list goes on and on...."
post #177 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStem View Post

A quick check of the item at the SonyStyle.com Web sites shows that it does support Pandora!

I believe that comes with an asterisk. Pandora may be supported down the road via a firmware upgrade.
post #178 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStem View Post

A quick check of the item at the SonyStyle.com Web sites shows that it does support Pandora!

Quote: Instantly stream a wide variety of movies, TV episodes, videos and music from a large selection of entertainment apps including: Netflix®, YouTube, Pandora, Slacker® - the list goes on and on...."

Thanks a lot just what I wanted to hear, I can wait for a firmware for Pandora. I had the LG BD550 for 4 days it locked up 3 times to where I had to unplug it, would not connect to get a firmware update, Netflix and Pandora worked great, but youyube would not connect, and Tech supports SUCKS! Now for a Sony!
post #179 of 2844
For those of you who haven't been over to winstonreviews lately, he's received confirmation that dlna WILL be implemented in July.
Thanks to winston9232 for checking on this issue as no dlna is a deal breaker for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Hi.

I handle media relations for Sony Electronics and wanted to respond. The information that Ryan supplied is incorrect. Sony's BDP-S470 (and BDP-S570 and BDP-S370 for that matter), WILL support DLNA with a firmware update scheduled for release this summer.

Further details can be fond here:

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/56400.html

Sorry for the confusion hope this clarifies the issue.

Thanks,
Greg Belloni
PR Manager
Sony Electronics Inc.

http://winstonsreviews.com/
post #180 of 2844
Hello from Germany, (excuse my bad english)

my sony S-370 have artefacts by playing MKV X264 wich are encoded with the "weightedp=2" option.

This is the same Problem that the LG BD-370 have too.

I hope Sony fix this fast and the DLNA option too.

Regards

Picard007
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official New Sony S370/S470 Owners Thread