or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official New Sony S370/S470 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official New Sony S370/S470 Owners Thread - Page 87

post #2581 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmooney View Post

The Sony models have a service mode, but it's mostly for diagnostic tests and for updating from a CD. There are no calibration options.

To get into service mode, unplug the AC power, then hold down open + stop + play on the front while plugging the power in.

Sounds like you need to be a contortionist while doing this!

But seriously, I'd be afraid to do any of this without knowing exactly what I'm doing - and why!!
post #2582 of 2844
On that old DVD player (I think it also worked on the newer DVP-NS55P I had), it's:
Power powered off
From remote, hit in sequence: title, clear, power
http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...menu-info.html
post #2583 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofox View Post

I also had this problem with the s380. The s380 died less than a month after I got it. Is this heat going to cause a problem in the future?

JMCurtis, hit the why in the message below. I just wanted to add that unless your model is different from the two Sony's I now have you can/should select off for the quick boot / power up feature. My unit is cold/cool to the touch. In the manual it mentions that with it set in the (standby mode) for quick boot/power up it can get so hot that the fan may need to run. That seems like more power than a STANDBY type mode but... I just leave them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

On that old DVD player (I think it also worked on the newer DVP-NS55P I had), it's:
Power powered off
From remote, hit in sequence: title, clear, power
http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...menu-info.html

I'll have to give that a try. I just skimmed the article but the last poster mentioned a different first button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmooney View Post

The Sony models have a service mode, but it's mostly for diagnostic tests and for updating from a CD. There are no calibration options.
To get into service mode, unplug the AC power, then hold down open + stop + play on the front while plugging the power in.

Ahh thank you very much. It took two trys before I got it on my BDP-s560. Here are some screen shots of the menus and sub-menu / test screens. I ran a few tests. In order to get out of the system mode I had to pull the plug, it pushing and/or holding those buttons, the power button or disc eject did nothing. I waited about 20 seconds and plugged it back in & it booted normally.

Under the Version Up(dater) from the main menu I got that interesting prohibited message. NOW? Is that because I didn't have a CD/DVD in the Unit with a Firmware Version (i had nothing in the tray) or does it ALWAYS say that.
Is it as simply as that... is that how they re-did my firmware in Laredo, TX? That would be GREAT!!! Wildly speculating here, but IF I could get a hold of a Version 8 Firmware download & it would allow the Firmware to overwrite backwards using this service menu that would be great!!! Or do they have to enter yet another (secret code) to un-prohibit it?

In the 4th picture - can anyone tell me what the DeltaOPCheck is or does. I see above you can RewriteOPData in option #3.
And in picture 5 there are 13 pages of error codes, most of them look very similar... all have the 09/01/01 and the majority are the same last (far right) column error codes, but sometimes there's a different one thrown in there. I spent a little time looking at it but with all the "dates" with the same date code stamp they could have come like that from the factory or ??? I can't make anything out of it.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #2584 of 2844
Today it wouldn't read X-Men The First Class. UKNOWN - cannot operate this disc - INVALID - Cannot playback this disc errors.
I had my camera out earlier for that, thought I might as well post some pictures of that too. Also posted in the last one showing what might be ?hours? running the three types of media BR, DVD, & CD.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #2585 of 2844
I have that movie in my Netflix queue. It's up next. But then, I don't know if it will be the retail or a stripped rental version.
post #2586 of 2844
Anyone else loose 5.1 surround from Amazon Prime? I used to get a few of the movies in 5.1 and now they all say stereo.
post #2587 of 2844
Has anyone updated to the latest version confirmed that they fixed the bug where it would automatically try to connect to BD-Live if you put in a BD-live-enabled disk and happened to have a thumb-drive plugged into the rear socket?

Has anyone who has updated to the latest version observed -any- problems?

Thanks!
/j
post #2588 of 2844
Quote:


Has anyone updated to the latest version confirmed that they fixed the bug where it would automatically try to connect to BD-Live if you put in a BD-live-enabled disk and happened to have a thumb-drive plugged into the rear socket?

BDP-S470: Yes
BDP-S370: No
post #2589 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvb6171 View Post

Anyone else loose 5.1 surround from Amazon Prime? I used to get a few of the movies in 5.1 and now they all say stereo.

I've never once gotten 5.1 from an Amazon movie on the Sony. All I ever get is stereo, even though my Roku box gives me 5.1 on those exact same movies with no problem.
post #2590 of 2844
Briefly, I shoot a Canon M41 HD camcorder in AVCHD at 60i and 17 mbps. I edit the clips in the supplied Pixela software and create AVCHD disks. They playback fine with excellent image quality on my LG player. I gave some disks to a friend with a Sony S470, and he reports all the video playback is almost constantly marred by multi-colored squares covering varying portions of the frame. In fast forward or reverse, great image. He says commercial Blu-Ray and DVD play just fine. Returned disks play fine on my LG. Any ideas? Baffled. I thought Sony developed the AVCHD formats. Thanks

Greg
post #2591 of 2844
I just wanted to note that I am quite happy with the BX37/S370's DLNA performance in combination with MiniDLNA freshly installed on my Buffalo WXL.

I got the player quite cheap but read this whole thread from start to finish before purchasing. Sony's DLNA implementation seems quite o.k. IMO. If it doesn't work it is very likely the server's fault.

Many thanks to grolschie for maintaining his website and keeping up the positive tone in this forum. If it hadn't been for him I wouldn't have experimented.
post #2592 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post

BDP-S470: Yes
BDP-S370: No

my goodness, you're right (also NO on my BDP-270). Wonder why they wouldn't have fixed it across the board. Oh well, no new updates for me 8-{.
post #2593 of 2844
I have both a BDP-S370 and a BDP-BX37 (Costco version of BDP-S370) blu-ray player attached by ethernet to my home network. (One in the family room, one in the bedroom).

I noticed that the blu-ray players are no longer able to access jpg photos from any of my network computers. Not the Windows 7 machines nor the Windows Home Server 2011 machine on my network. Choosing one of those computers from the Photo column allows me to choose a folder on the computer called PICTURES but then I get nothing further; it won't go any further into subdirectories where the photos are stored. I can still show pictures from a USB flash drive or from a burned DVD-R, but not from the network. I am absolutely certain I previously had the ability to view .jpgs from networked computers. I can still stream music and videos from those network computers, but for some reason I can't get photos.

I have the latest firmware on both machines. M03.R769.

Is anyone else having this problem?
post #2594 of 2844
When did this change happen? It's more likely a Windows Update that possibly caused a change someplace, unless you just updated the player's firmware.
post #2595 of 2844
You know, I'm not sure when this happened. I haven't tried to pull up network photos from the Blu-Ray player for probably a couple of months or more. I just noticed the problem yesterday when I was fooling around with it.

This DLNA "feature" seems to be very problematic. I wish the Sony could just access public areas from the home network and treat those directories like an attached USB Flash drive just play the files it intrinsically is capable of playing.

I have posted on a Microsoft Help forum to see if there's any answers from that end.
post #2596 of 2844
I've had similar issues with recorded TV that I've fixed by running Windows Media Player on the computer. That refreshes the library content, and then the Sony can see it. Seems like Windows doesn't always keep the library up-to-date.
post #2597 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA1745 View Post

Today it wouldn't read X-Men The First Class. UKNOWN - cannot operate this disc - INVALID - Cannot playback this disc errors.
I had my camera out earlier for that, thought I might as well post some pictures of that too. Also posted in the last one showing what might be ?hours? running the three types of media BR, DVD, & CD.

I got my copy of the BD from Netflix. It is not an obvious gray 'rental' version, as it has full artwork. I started watching the movie, so it does work. There are no extras on the disk, so I don't know if it is a stripper version, or if it's only a basic release.
post #2598 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdong View Post

You know, I'm not sure when this happened. I haven't tried to pull up network photos from the Blu-Ray player for probably a couple of months or more. I just noticed the problem yesterday when I was fooling around with it.

This DLNA "feature" seems to be very problematic. I wish the Sony could just access public areas from the home network and treat those directories like an attached USB Flash drive just play the files it intrinsically is capable of playing.

I have posted on a Microsoft Help forum to see if there's any answers from that end.

I just spent a day playing with Serviio as the media server (on a Windows 7 x64 machine) for my BDP-BX37. I'm incredibly impressed! It transcoded on the fly flash (flv) and AVI H.264 files that the player didn't want to recognize before either on USB or with various media servers. It even supported FF/RW for flvs. My Sony is now an almost perfect media player!

Serviio is the best media server I've come across yet by far and it's free!

JPEGs worked nicely as well with the latest firmware. No hassle, no fuss.

If you are running an x64 type operating system make sure that you have 64 bit Java installed FIRST as most people run 32 bit versions of their browsers (IE, Firefox, etc.)! You can get 64 bit Java form here (Windows x64):

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ad-513652.html

Then download and install Serviio:

http://www.serviio.org/download

Now make sure that you open your Firewall for all 3 Serviio processes:

/Start
type "windows firewall"
select Control Panel Windows firewall
click Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall
check all three Serviio processes

Now start the Serviio console and push the "Start Server button if it's not already started.

Click refresh on the Renderer Profile and make sure that your Sony appears there as "Sony BD Player". If it doesn't likely something is still wrong with your firewall/antivirus.

Then on the library tab define your paths to your media files. I pointed to my NAS and it works very well. Beware it takes quite some time to build the database if you have a decent sized library.

Now enjoy the rediscovered youth of your somewhat dated player.
post #2599 of 2844
Thanks for the update. I've never been able to get flv to play from serviio. Did you have to change your config file at all?

TIA
post #2600 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Thanks for the update. I've never been able to get flv to play from serviio. Did you have to change your config file at all?

TIA

I didn't have to do anything. Ran right out of the box. Note that I'm using 6.0.1.
post #2601 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvb6171 View Post

Anyone else loose 5.1 surround from Amazon Prime? I used to get a few of the movies in 5.1 and now they all say stereo.

Noticed the same indication on HD movie descriptions but one HD rental did play on 5ch. I've asked Amazon about this but they have no answer for me. It's like "why do you care?"
post #2602 of 2844
I've never gotten so much as a single program from Amazon in 5.1 on my Sony. My Roku in another room does 5.1 from Amazon just fine, but the Sony and my older Panasonic BD player have never given me anything but plain old stereo from Amazon... even on the same program, just minutes apart.
post #2603 of 2844
Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

I tried Serviio and it works wonderfully with the Sony to display photos. You're right about the time it takes to compile all the files. It's been running all night long and it still hasn't finished finding all my photos and it has yet to get to my video files. (I'm curious to see if it transcodes better than Windows). I've got Serviio running on a Windows Home Server 2011 machine and there doesn't seem to be any issue with that Operating System.

I also ran Windows Media Player again (on a different computer) and had it update the photo library and the photos are now showing up on the Sony Blu-Ray player.
post #2604 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

I got my copy of the BD from Netflix. It is not an obvious gray 'rental' version, as it has full artwork. I started watching the movie, so it does work. There are no extras on the disk, so I don't know if it is a stripper version, or if it's only a basic release.

To be clear, that was referencing (continuing the post above it) and the problem is on the BDP-s560... with it's current firmware.

My BDP-s370 (which has the latest update) played it just fine. So it's got nothing to do with the disc. I can't remember off hand whether that was a full featured BR - with the extras or not...like for example Bridesmaid which was a Extra's locked rental copy.

I will note that one poster (i think in this thread see back a few posts) was unable w/ the BDP-s370 that wasn't fully updated to the latest firmware version was unable to play the X-men First Class disc.
post #2605 of 2844
I just bought a new Sony S470 from Amazon. I bought the older model because I need 1080i out of the component output. I updated the firmware to the latest version. I have the player ethernet connected to my FIOS 35/35 connection with a Cat 6 cable to the FIOS router.

I have been using a Panasonic Blu-ray player before this. With it I could consistently stream HD from Amazon (for movies available in HD of course). Upon the arrival of the Sony, I simply swapped out the cables from the Panny to the Sony. With the Sony, Amazon will not stream HD, it always downgrades it to SD. I can tell that the "Checking connection speed" takes longer than it did with the Panny, and when the video loads, it is SD. When I first got the Panny, I initially had the same problem and found that the player's network setup, the network speed defaulted to 10Base-T. I changed it to 100Base Full Duplex and it always streamed HD from then on.

I find no place in the Sony's network settings to specify the network speed. I assume then that it should automatically connect at 100 if it is available?

I can swap the cables back to the Panny and get HD from Amazon again. If I swap back to the Sony again I get SD. So the cable is OK. I suspect either the Sony is defective, or I am missing where you set the network speed in the player's set up.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: Ok, I think I know what is happening. I assumed the problem was network related, but it turns out that it isn't. I had the Sony player connected to the TV via component video cables because the TV only has one HDMI input and it is in use with another box. I temporarily connected the Sony to the TV's HDMI and it will consistently get HD from Amazon. In fact, if I have the HDMI and Component both connected from the Sony to the TV at the same time, I can switch between the two inputs with the TV's remote and it plays in 1920x1080 on the HDMI connection and 720x480 on the component. Apparently, even though the S470 pre-dates the 01/01/2011 mandate for HD only over HDMI, Sony has implemented it on this older model, at least for internet video such as Amazon. Oddly, it will play Blu-ray discs in 1920x1080 over component, but apparently not streaming video from the internet. The Panny will play Amazon HD over component but it is a year older than the S470.

I will return the S470 for a refund.
post #2606 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemccl View Post

UPDATE: Ok, I think I know what is happening. I assumed the problem was network related, but it turns out that it isn't. I had the Sony player connected to the TV via component video cables because the TV only has one HDMI input and it is in use with another box. I temporarily connected the Sony to the TV's HDMI and it will consistently get HD from Amazon. In fact, if I have the HDMI and Component both connected from the Sony to the TV at the same time, I can switch between the two inputs with the TV's remote and it plays in 1920x1080 on the HDMI connection and 720x480 on the component. Apparently, even though the S470 pre-dates the 01/01/2011 mandate for HD only over HDMI, Sony has implemented it on this older model, at least for internet video such as Amazon. Oddly, it will play Blu-ray discs in 1920x1080 over component, but apparently not streaming video from the internet. The Panny will play Amazon HD over component but it is a year older than the S470.

I will return the S470 for a refund.

We got two "old" S370 units because one of our 50" Panny plasmas is 5 or 6 years old and only has component. We bought them early last spring. As I understand it, component wouldn't pass a lot of HD sources on units made after a certain date - which is why we bought one box. Rather than learn 2 diff units, we bought the same model for our other home.
As I recall, the S470 is the same as our S370, except for wifi. We have no trouble getting HD via Netflix. (At least I think it's HD - looks a lot better than SD. Each time we start a stream from Netflix, the S370 does a check of the internet "speed". We have a high speed internet connection.
post #2607 of 2844
Hello again!

I have a 120Hz TV and all my Blu-Rays are showing up at 1080P/60 (even though they are 24fps). I have 24fps set to auto....whats going on? If it helps to know, I have the 'smooth motion' effects all off.
post #2608 of 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by mujo View Post

Hello again!

I have a 120Hz TV and all my Blu-Rays are showing up at 1080P/60 (even though they are 24fps). I have 24fps set to auto....whats going on? If it helps to know, I have the 'smooth motion' effects all off.

What's the model of the tv, not all tvs can play 24fps, do you have a receiver in the middle of the connection?
post #2609 of 2844
Vizio XVT series, generation 1. The first one they offered with 120hz. I'm at work so I can't remember the exact model. I've seen it do 24fps before...I'm just wondering if a firmware update did something.

Edit: SV470XVT
post #2610 of 2844
I've searched this thread and it appears netflix only plays in 2channel audio on this player. This link http://www.techofthehub.com/2011/10/...ing-to-my.html shows some players being upgraded to support DD5.1, DD+, etc... surround sound formats. Has this player been upgraded, or does it look like it will be upgraded?

This player does most everything I want besides Netflix with surround sound.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official New Sony S370/S470 Owners Thread